IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Old 1st February 2013, 07:11 PM   #121
frenat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by littleelvira View Post
No you are mistaken. Until the Moon Shot book was written, not a one moon walking astronaut had commented that it was easy to see stars from the surface of the moon. Please produce one single reference of an astronaut making such a claim if you believe this to be true. You cannot. So the Shepard comment published on his behalf in 2011 was the first and only such comment.
Translation: I couldn't find anything with a 3 second Google search so it must not exist.
frenat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 01:52 AM   #122
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Other posters above have pretty much nailed it. We have a poster insisting that not being able to photograph stars is perfectly reasonable, which has been one of the mainstays of the denier cause since the excuse was first fabricated.. He also finds it reasonable that seeing stars in broad daylight on the moon would require some effort to be made.

His only evidence for his cause is an ambiguous statement, part of a series of statements evidently aimed specifically at people like him, clearly not written by the person he thinks it is, that says astronauts could see stars on the lunar surface. Which of course they could under the right circumstances.

The only thing he is bringing to the table here is a complete ignorance of how people who are not writers get their name on the cover of a book. He's the mark in the shell game convinced he had the pea, spending his winnings without realising he has nothing.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:31 PM   #123
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by littleelvira View Post
Of course Shepard did not make the argument . Barbree is a journalist and was never on the surface of the moon. So the coauthor who wrote that in 2011 did it on his or her own. You don't do that sort of thing for no reason. Proves a hoax.
People make hideous mistakes all the time, journalists are no exception. And again you think you can select one small point and claim some anomaly in it and that somehow means you don't have to address the mass of evidence for the reality of Apollo, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:18 PM   #124
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Strange that I've never wondered about this, but...

How much variation from the middle of the ~2 week "day" was there among the 6 landings?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 05:58 PM   #125
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post

How much variation from the middle of the ~2 week "day" was there among the 6 landings?
My understanding is that the landings were all in the lunar "morning".
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:31 PM   #126
Wolrab
Illuminator

The phase of the Earth would effect brightness too.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:08 AM   #127
Erock
Muse

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...sunangles.html

7 days from Dawn to Midday you can work it out from the Sun angles
Old 21st February 2013, 09:19 PM   #128
mooncakes123
New Blood

IT is NOT a HOAX

Apollo happened!!!!
mooncakes123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:29 AM   #129
LaurelHS
Muse

Yes, most of the people on the thread already know that. Who's saying it didn't happen, besides some banned sock puppets and a serial spammer?
LaurelHS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:06 PM   #130
mooncakes123
New Blood

people.....

ok.....well then explain to me how it happened because I don't think it did

Last edited by mooncakes123; 23rd February 2013 at 12:08 PM.
mooncakes123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:41 PM   #131
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by mooncakes123 View Post
You know it happened, so there's no need to explain anything to you.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:23 PM   #132
Hans
Philosopher

oh brother.......
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:27 PM   #133
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

We built a rocket. We put people in it. We sent that rocket to the Moon. The people got out, walked around, took pictures, and picked up some rocks. They got back in the rocket and came home.

Seriously, libraries (and now the Internet) are full of detailed and complete explanations for how Apollo technology was designed, built, and operated. If you want an explanation for how it was accomplished, it's readily available.

So what makes you think it didn't really happen?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:59 PM   #134
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Apollo 11 launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mt9znatmyQ
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:42 PM   #135
trebor
Thinker

They hitched a ride.
trebor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:00 PM   #136
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
We built a rocket. We put people in it. We sent that rocket to the Moon. The people got out, walked around, took pictures, and picked up some rocks. They got back in the rocket and came home.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. Brilliant.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:05 PM   #137
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Apollo happened!!!!
OK...we agree it happened.
Except when it didn't, according to you.

Could you perchance specify which of these camps you nail your colours to? Or perhaps we should all just guess and adjust our responses accordingly? That will make for an interesting thread.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:09 PM   #138
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Why don't you ask this guy, he thinks it happened,

Apollo happened!!!!
ETA-Beaten to the punch

Last edited by Reactor drone; 23rd February 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:26 PM   #139
dafydd
Banned

Here's what really happened. Mitchell and Webb know.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2013, 04:52 PM   #140
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Nice summary Jay, but you forgot the flag planting.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 04:37 AM   #141
Dcdrac
Philosopher

LRO Photos of the Apollo landing sites

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/revisited/
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 08:54 AM   #142
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
Nice summary Jay, but you forgot the flag planting.
The flag wasn't real, it was made of nylon.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 09:16 AM   #143
ehcks
Illuminator

The flag wasn't real, it was made of nylon.
Nylon's fake? But my socks are 1% nylon. Oh noes, my socks are 1% fake!
Old 24th February 2013, 09:53 AM   #144
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Nylon's fake? But my socks are 1% nylon. Oh noes, my socks are 1% fake!
That would be the hole in the toe.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 10:17 AM   #145
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
LRO Photos of the Apollo landing sites

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/revisited/
And that's just the beginning; when the sites are revisited by boots on the ground and probably made into national monuments moon hoaxers will have to add many more levels of complexity to the hoax when they explain how that stuff got up there.
Old 24th February 2013, 10:33 AM   #146
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
And that's just the beginning; when the sites are revisited by boots on the ground and probably made into national monuments moon hoaxers will have to add many more levels of complexity to the hoax when they explain how that stuff got up there.
yes construction crews sent up in rockets to make fake landing sites.....ooops that means we can land a human on the moon....tum te tum
Old 24th February 2013, 10:44 AM   #147
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dcdrac View Post
yes construction crews sent up in rockets to make fake landing sites.....ooops that means we can land a human on the moon....tum te tum
I can hear them now: "of course we eventually developed the technology to go to the moon, just not when we say we did. They secretly ferried those parts up there in the 80's and 90's to prepare for this day".

Last edited by twinstead; 24th February 2013 at 10:46 AM.
twinstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 12:07 PM   #148
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by twinstead View Post
I can hear them now: "of course we eventually developed the technology to go to the moon, just not when we say we did. They secretly ferried those parts up there in the 80's and 90's to prepare for this day".
<HB> Of course. Many STS missions were to get the components for these missions into LEO. We know the Soviets/Russians have been in on the hoax since the 60's, therefore we have to assume the money the US gov't gave the Russians for their space program, after the fall of the SU, was payment for their help with assembling the lunar transfer and landing ships on orbit (using Mir, and later ISS, for a base) and for continued cooperation with the coverup. Many of the ISS "construction deliveries" were used to get up the rest of hardware needed to make the supposed Apollo landing sites look authentic, just in time for LRO to image them. </HB>

How am I doing? Is this too "logical" for an HB rant?
Old 24th February 2013, 12:18 PM   #149
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
How am I doing? Is this too "logical" for an HB rant?
You need a few words in all caps and some more exclamation points, but you're getting there
Old 24th February 2013, 06:13 PM   #150
mooncakes123
New Blood

these explanations are hilarious ........ so your telling me you "actually" saw them walk on the moon very vitoriouz
Old 24th February 2013, 06:28 PM   #151
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Well, anyone with sufficient equipment could track the lander touching down on the moon.

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 06:38 PM   #152
trebor
Thinker

these explanations are hilarious ........
The problem is that your 'question' was so broad and aimless as to be nonsensical.

If you are series about getting information then perhaps you should ask a better question.
If you have some point to make perhaps you should get to it.
trebor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 06:56 PM   #153
Hans
Philosopher

these explanations are hilarious ........ so your telling me you "actually" saw them walk on the moon very vitoriouz
Troll
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #154
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Apollo "hoax" discussion / Lick observatory laser saga Part II

Yeah, troll
Old 24th February 2013, 09:06 PM   #155
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Let me get this straight. No answers were provided for a question you did not ask. Hilarious indeed.

Old 24th February 2013, 09:50 PM   #156
mooncakes123
New Blood

k

.......why haven't we been to the moon since 1972........ with all the technology that we have today.
Old 24th February 2013, 09:55 PM   #157
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

.......why haven't we been to the moon since 1972........ with all the technology that we have today.
Because no one is willing to pay for it. I'm one of those who feel returning astronauts to the moon is a waste of money. If you want to write the check to make it happen, then by all means do it.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 10:09 PM   #158
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

We have - with unmanned probes. They're lots cheaper.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2013, 10:40 PM   #159
Kid Eager
Philosopher

Come on, at least put some effort into it!
Old 24th February 2013, 10:50 PM   #160
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Apollo happened!!!!
Yes, in the summer of 69 the USA landed 2 men on the moon.
Moon landing deniers have fantasy, skip critical thinking. They can't do orbital mechanics.

Since you deny it happened, you will not comprehend how it was done, you don't to EOM and orbital mechanics.
First you have to have lots of math, tons. You have to love math and go all the way. Have you taken graduate level math? While you are taking math, you need to take physics, lots of physics. Next you have to do the equations of motions, and work on orbital mechanics. The EOM will fill a large class room filled with caulk boards (remember the USA did this in the 60, before that silly keyboard, or tablet you are working on and deny the moon landing were invented). Did you take physics, and math, can you formulate the EOM, or do differential equations?
I have no idea why you believe your computer or tablet is real, you can't explain how the chips are made, are you sure they are real?

Do you know how to build big rocket engines?

Moon landing deniers don't do science.
Astronomers tracked Apollo missions, why can't you (not born yet). How do you fall for the failed hoax?
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/space/apollo.html
Do you understand astronomy?

LOL, explain in detail how the Internet works, and how the chips in your computer are made. They can't be real, can they? Who makes the chips for you? Can you make computer chips? Anything technical?

If you don't understand orbital mechanics, then you will be unarmed to prove the moon landings did not take place.
I did see men walk on the moon, guess deniers don't understand information theory, another college thing. They had to invent ways to do communication to ensure it worked, the comm part. Do you have any science or engineering background?

I saw them walk on the moon live. Do you understand electromagnetic waves, and communications? If not you will not comprehend or be able to prove your claim, your denial of reality. Good luck.

Can you do the equations, the orbital mechanics to go to the Moon? Are you prepared to do the hard stuff? Technology? You don't know how we got to the moon in the 60s, and you think you can harness technology today to anything; the best you come up with is denying reality.

Already best answer is $$$. As you gain maturity you will figure out you can only do so much - but gee whiz, run for president and inspire us to go back, or do better.

A young president did that in the 60s.
http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm
http://history.nasa.gov/moondec.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYb_mhiE-qU
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

A president inspired a nation to go to the Moon, what inspired you to deny reality?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories