IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Old 24th November 2022, 10:09 AM   #2041
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I know that oxygen is very reactive, however I didn't think much is in free space around the Moon to degrade materials.
The others (Jay & STS) have better experience with this than I, but for my experience, atomic oxygen was primarily a LEO issue.
Old 24th November 2022, 11:52 AM   #2042
sts60
Illuminator

I know that oxygen is very reactive, however I didn't think much is in free space around the Moon to degrade materials.
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
The others (Jay & STS) have better experience with this than I, but for my experience, atomic oxygen was primarily a LEO issue.
You’re both right. LDEF and our satellite were both Shuttle-deployed and retrieved, so they were in LEO. Sorry for the lack of context, since this discussion is focused on the space around the Moon.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 03:31 PM   #2043
dasmiller

Compared to the world population, actual spacecraft engineers may be overrepresented in this thread.
Old 25th November 2022, 05:25 PM   #2044
bknight
Master Poster

Compared to the world population, actual spacecraft engineers may be overrepresented in this thread.
And do you have a problem with? I like experts to give their feedback on items within their field.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2022, 06:59 PM   #2045
dasmiller

And do you have a problem with? I like experts to give their feedback on items within their field.
I'm one of the spacecraft engineers.
Old 25th November 2022, 08:49 PM   #2046
bknight
Master Poster

I'm one of the spacecraft engineers.
Good deal.!
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 08:49 AM   #2047
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I for one prefer to get a well-rounded view. What does the common man on the street think about the reactivity of atomic oxygen in low earth orbit?
Old 26th November 2022, 09:22 AM   #2048
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, sorry if that was unclear. LDEF was a LEO experiment. You have entirely different materials issues if you want to fly to the Moon. But it popped into my head because of Apollo 12 wanting to see what long exposure to the lunar surface environment had done to Surveyor hardware. Actual experimentation is still our best method of understanding the effects of various space environments on materials. So going back to where we've already placed human-made objects isn't as boring as it sounds.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 08:38 AM   #2049
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I for one prefer to get a well-rounded view. What does the common man on the street think about the reactivity of atomic oxygen in low earth orbit?
Well, I for one think atomic oxygen needs to just settle down and find another nice oxygen to become molecular oxygen with, as God intended.
Old 29th November 2022, 12:01 PM   #2050
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well, I for one think atomic oxygen needs to just settle down and find another nice oxygen to become molecular oxygen with, as God intended.
I think the Senate's voting on that today.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 12:36 PM   #2051
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Gotta say I miss these good old CTs .. Moon landing and chemtrails .. those were the times.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:14 AM   #2052
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Gotta say I miss these good old CTs .. Moon landing and chemtrails .. those were the times.
One of my 'acquaintances' is fully convinced that fuel cells don't exist and cannot exist, that solar power is also not a a thing - either, and all spaceflight is impossible as no battery can last long enough to power them.........they also think the the world's hollow and tomorrow (since 1968) the world will end.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 09:23 AM   #2053
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I guess they must save a bit on insurance, what with the world constantly on the brink of ending.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 11:41 AM   #2054
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
One of my 'acquaintances' is fully convinced that fuel cells don't exist and cannot exist, that solar power is also not a a thing - either, and all spaceflight is impossible as no battery can last long enough to power them.........they also think the the world's hollow and tomorrow (since 1968) the world will end.
You can't cure stupid.
Old 30th November 2022, 12:04 PM   #2055
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
I think the Senate's voting on that today.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 03:38 PM   #2056
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Well every so often atomic oxygens will have a threesome and make ozone. Perverts.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 05:00 PM   #2057
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well every so often atomic oxygens will have a threesome and make ozone. Perverts.
Takes hydrogen to really get them moist though.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:36 PM   #2058
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Takes hydrogen to really get them moist though.
h man you are really scrapping the bottom of the ocean.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:36 PM   #2059
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

h man you are really scrapping the bottom of the ocean.
Is that you, Sandy?
Old 6th January 2023, 11:04 AM   #2060
Gulliver Foyle
Illuminator

*takes a quick gander and backs away slowly*
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2023, 12:00 PM   #2061
Garrison
Philosopher

And a shot in the arm for whatever CTs are still clinging on from a totally reliable source ...

Former head of Roscosmos now thinks NASA did not land on the Moon
Old 8th May 2023, 12:42 PM   #2062
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And a shot in the arm for whatever CTs are still clinging on from a totally reliable source ...

Former head of Roscosmos now thinks NASA did not land on the Moon
However the article clearly states that the Russians were listening to the flight and had an unmanned flight in Lunar orbit at the same time a Apollo 11 to return sample. Luna 15 crashed into the Moon. I don't know why people give press to this idiot(Dmitry Rogozin).
Your rolled eyes gets one from me also.
Old 8th May 2023, 01:54 PM   #2063
Garrison
Philosopher

However the article clearly states that the Russians were listening to the flight and had an unmanned flight in Lunar orbit at the same time a Apollo 11 to return sample. Luna 15 crashed into the Moon. I don't know why people give press to this idiot(Dmitry Rogozin).
Your rolled eyes gets one from me also.
Oh it is stupid, but of course I expect his comments to turn up in future stripped of the context that shows them to be nonsense.
Old 8th May 2023, 02:03 PM   #2064
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Doesn't some Russian official spout this nonsense every time Putin is being embarrassed by some other event in the news?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2023, 02:04 PM   #2065
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Putin's glove puppet doing as he's told and conspiracy theorists lap it up without question. They accuse the American government of all kinds of lies and deceit but a fascist warmonger's regime is being held up as a beacon of truth.

Makes my sick.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories