IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apollo hoax , moon landing hoax

Old 27th February 2013, 03:09 AM   #241
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by BazBear View Post
I was 4 1/2, and I still think NASA was taking a big chance sending Neil and Buzz there unarmed!
[CT]You still think the LM was unarmed. [/CT]
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:17 AM   #242
Willy Ekerslike
Scholar

You guys!
Willy Ekerslike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:11 AM   #243
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I was 4 1/2, and I still think NASA was taking a big chance sending Neil and Buzz there unarmed!
And risk them shooting a hole in the spacecraft? There was the running joke, I think involving Pete Conrad, saying that upon arriving on the lunar surface he should scream and cut his mike.

Conversely the Soviet cosmonauts were armed, not because of what they might encounter in space but because of what they might encounter upon landing in a possibly remote area of the Soviet Union. Bears, wolves, etc.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:25 AM   #244
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Just to prove to those that the human race is capable of things:

voyager 1 and 2 mission status:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/...orts/index.htm
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 10:46 AM   #245
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
And risk them shooting a hole in the spacecraft? There was the running joke, I think involving Pete Conrad, saying that upon arriving on the lunar surface he should scream and cut his mike.

Conversely the Soviet cosmonauts were armed, not because of what they might encounter in space but because of what they might encounter upon landing in a possibly remote area of the Soviet Union. Bears, wolves, etc.
That's right. I had forgotten that.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 01:50 PM   #246
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
[CT]You still think the LM was unarmed. [/CT]
Okay, they had a knife in survival rucksack no. 1, so they weren't totally unarmed.
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:10 PM   #247
Dcdrac
Philosopher

Araine 5 launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN1HOsnOYtU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EosAev9EJpI

Last edited by Dcdrac; 27th February 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Dcdrac is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:32 PM   #248
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
Don't bluff me. What kind of fool do you take me for? Why don't you tell us all how hot or cold it was inside the LM on the occasion of the Apollo 11 stay on the moon and likewise please tell us the temperature inside the LM during the Apollo 15 stay.
It is called math, science, physics. Do moon landing deniers take math, science and physics?

Sun angle. The missions on the moon were planned so the life support systems could keep the astronauts alive. The temperature on the moon can be predicted, using math and science. Simple stuff, guess moon landing deniers can't do the science part. Apollo 11, cold, Apollo 15 hot; you can take the sun angle and calculate the temperature. Can you compared the design of the life support systems?

I feel cool now, I estimate the temperature at 60F; I am correct. A human thermometer.
What does temperature have to do with moon landing deniers failed claims?
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:37 PM   #249
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, they had a knife in survival rucksack no. 1, so they weren't totally unarmed.
But what if the bears and wolves had guns?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 02:50 PM   #250
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
But what if the bears and wolves had guns?

No one has the right to arm bears.

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 03:17 PM   #251
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by TheRedWorm View Post
True, but no one needs to! They got 'dem big nasty claws and teethes! But they are not one trick ponies...err...bruins. Some even clean up quite nicely; my avatar shows a good example of .
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 05:03 PM   #252
TheRedWorm
I AM the Red Worm!

True, but no one needs to! They got 'dem big nasty claws and teethes! But they are not one trick ponies...err...bruins. Some even clean up quite nicely; my avatar shows a good example of .

Wojtek, is that you?

As usual, he doesn't understand the relevant sciences, can't Google for the right thing, and appears to rely on the notion that a word salad liberally sprinkled with Google Croutons will make his argument seem coherent. -JayUtah
TheRedWorm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2013, 07:18 PM   #253
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Can't be.

Unless he was really Polish-Ed up for the photo.
Old 28th February 2013, 03:17 AM   #254
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Some even clean up quite nicely...
I'm relieved to hear it. One does hear such tales of what they do in the woods.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 04:17 AM   #255
BazBear
Possible Suspect

I'm relieved to hear it. One does hear such tales of what they do in the woods.
That's all NRA propaganda.
Old 28th February 2013, 07:05 AM   #256
Wolrab
Illuminator

Does a bear poop in a space capsule in the woods?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 07:11 AM   #257
azzthom
Muse

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Does a bear poop in a space capsule in the woods?
Only if a cosmonaut points a gun at it.
azzthom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 07:46 AM   #258
thedopefishlives
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by azzthom View Post
Only if a cosmonaut points a gun at it.
Hey, if I were a bear, I wouldn't want to mess around with someone who just fell from outer space and lived to tell about it.
thedopefishlives is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 11:03 AM   #259
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thedopefishlives View Post
Hey, if I were a bear, I wouldn't want to mess around with someone who just fell from outer space and lived to tell about it.
Well, bears have been known to survive supersonic ejection from B-58 Hustlers... they might not be too impressed.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 01:12 PM   #260
X
Slide Rulez 4 Life

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Well, bears have been known to survive supersonic ejection from B-58 Hustlers... they might not be too impressed.

How did they get the bears into the ejection seats/supersonic jets?

Notice how I don't ask why they were ejecting the bears? After cramming a bear into one of those seats, launching the massive pissed-off critter out of the plane seems perfectly sensible. Landing with it would be insane.

[X's posts are] ...as good as having 24 hours of Justin Bieber piped into your ears! - kmortis
X is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 01:52 PM   #261
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by X View Post
How did they get the bears into the ejection seats/supersonic jets?
Sedation.

Quote:
Notice how I don't ask why they were ejecting the bears? After cramming a bear into one of those seats, launching the massive pissed-off critter out of the plane seems perfectly sensible. Landing with it would be insane.
The B-58 used an ejection capsule that closed around the pilot (or bear, as the case may be).
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 02:00 PM   #262
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

So was the plan to fill up the Russian steppes with angry ejected bears thereby halting the Soviet space program by making landings too dangerous for their astronauts?
Old 28th February 2013, 02:12 PM   #263
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So was the plan to fill up the Russian steppes with angry ejected bears thereby halting the Soviet space program by making landings too dangerous for their astronauts?
Rather, I think the program was canceled once they realized that Russian astronauts wouldn't see anything unusual or alarming about angry bears.

Coal to Newcastle and all that.

Last edited by theprestige; 28th February 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 28th February 2013, 02:27 PM   #264
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheRedWorm View Post
Not in Soviet Russia. In the US, it's one of our most cherished constitutional rights.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 02:34 PM   #265
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by indomitablespirit View Post
who kept the thermometer?
You know, I'm not sure, but I think it's just barely possible that they had more than one.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 02:59 PM   #266
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Russia sent the Bears back, the RAF used to intercept them over the North Sea.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2013, 05:37 PM   #267
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Not in Soviet Russia. In the US, it's one of our most cherished constitutional rights.
I thought it was the right to wear muscle t shirts.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:19 AM   #268
Manger Douse
Graduate Poster

A Facebook friend and I have been trying to understand if this video is an elaborate joke or not as it seems to be 40 minutes of a guy highlighting jpeg artefacts with Photoshop filters and saying "OMG Alienz!". Is this usual behaviour for Moonbats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH9aP-MNwbg

Quick tip of the hat to JayUtah and co for teaching me so much about the Apollo program. Cheers guys!
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:08 PM   #269
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Unfortunately, it seems to be all too frequent (and not just in space images). The CTers don't understand image compression, image artefacts (either in general or JPEG in particular), or any sort of photogrammetry. The most notorious example of this was the late Jack White, who:
  • Couldn't tell which way the LM was facing in photographs
  • When testifying to the Warren Commision (JFK assassination) the following exchange occurred:
    Originally Posted by Warren Commission
    Mr. GOLDSMITH. Mr. White, answer my question. Did you compute photogrammetrically----

Mr. WHITE. What is "photogrammetrically"? Describe to me what "photogrammetrically" is.

Mr. GOLDSMITH. I just have one more question Mr. White. Do you know what photogrammetry is?

Mr. WHITE. No.
and more.
Old 2nd March 2013, 01:28 PM   #270
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
A Facebook friend and I have been trying to understand if this video is an elaborate joke or not as it seems to be 40 minutes of a guy highlighting jpeg artefacts with Photoshop filters and saying "OMG Alienz!". Is this usual behaviour for Moonbats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH9aP-MNwbg

Quick tip of the hat to JayUtah and co for teaching me so much about the Apollo program. Cheers guys!

In case you're unfamiliar, here's a link to Jay's website.
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:05 PM   #271
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

The Jack White "photogrammetry" incident reliably gets a facepalm from me. Not only did he fail to recognize one term for the field he was claiming expertise in...in a Congressional hearing...he couldn't even infer the meaning of the term from its parts.

Of course, his virtually nonexistent spatial and visual reasoning skills reliably produced similar reactions...
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:13 PM   #272
threadworm
Graduate Poster

On the other hand, it's nice to know that if you draw a crocodile on the moon, it looks like a crocodile.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:40 PM   #273
trebor
Thinker

Thumbs up

Unfortunately yes.
It also seemed to be an excellent example of Pareidolia.

Absolutely.
trebor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:44 PM   #274
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
Unfortunately, it seems to be all too frequent (and not just in space images). The CTers don't understand image compression, image artefacts (either in general or JPEG in particular), or any sort of photogrammetry. The most notorious example of this was the late Jack White, who:
  • When testifying to the Warren Commision (JFK assassination) the following exchange occurred:
and more.
Further, there are a couple of later parts of his testimony that show up why White made so many false assumptions as regards shadow, parallax and perspective effects the Apollo photographic record, and why HB's continue to call that record into question.

Quote:
Edited for clarity

GOLDSMITH. Mr. White, you have made reference to several points in these photographs that suggest that the body of Oswald is not consistent in the various photographs in light of the head size; is that correct?
WHITE. Yes.
GOLDSMITH. To what extent, if any, did you compute photogrammetrically the effect of an object's tilt on its apparent length in the photograph?
WHITE. As I said, I am not a scientist. I don't indulge in that sort of thing.
GOLDSMITH. Mr. White, I just have one question.
WHITE. All right.
GOLDSMITH. When you did this study, did you compute photogrammetrically the effect of tilt on the way that the length of an object appears in a photograph?
WHITE. I conducted a study by photographing a yardstick from three different (angles)
Therein lies one of his (and other CTers/HB's) biggest mistakes; the failure to understand the fact that a photograph is a two-dimensional representation of a three dimensional reality, and the failure to realise the implications of this fact.

This is a simplified explanation of how this works

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/photog.htm

Here is a photo of an ordinary car park.

You know that the white lines are all the same length and are parallel to each other, but that is not how it appears in the photo. This is due to perspective, and without any information about the camera and lens, or its distance and elevation from any given point in the scene, you cannot determine how long the lines are, or whether or not they are actually parallel

This aspect of 3D to 2D representation will be familiar to most sports fans.

Grass advertising signage in stadiums is deliberately distorted remove the perspective. The actual logo (left) is painted on the grass in a distorted fashion as viewed from directly overhead (centre) so that from the point of view of the main stadium TV camera (right) it appears in the same proportions as the actual logo.

This graphically illustrates how easily the eye and brain are fooled with regard to perspective. You cannot analyse a photograph by simply laying a ruler on it and taking measurements, as Jack White did so often.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 2nd March 2013 at 03:45 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:01 PM   #275
frenat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
and more.
Jack White also did the "use random photoshop filters on an already compressed jpeg and think you've found something" trick. One of his "studies" had him "finding" a tow truck in the background of an Apollo photo.

There are a few on GLP that do this quite often as well. For a while there was a regular that claimed the Moon had to be far closer than "NASA" said (even though it was pointed out that ANYONE can figure out the distance with geometry) because they had take pictures with a dinky telescope and "saw" people walking on the surface. A few years back there was a regular (that also claimed to be a grade school teacher ) that ran pictures of people through various filters and claimed they were reptiles.
frenat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:14 PM   #276
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by frenat View Post
J... dinky telescope and "saw" people walking on the surface. A few years back there was a regular (that also claimed to be a grade school teacher ) that ran pictures of people through various filters and claimed they were reptiles.

I find these two "facts" somewhat disturbing!!

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:49 PM   #277
frenat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I find these two "facts" somewhat disturbing!!
You and me both. Would you believe that I was the one jumped on when I dared to call her out on her pareidolia? That is the madness that is GLP.
frenat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2013, 01:02 AM   #278
nomuse
Muse

I think I caught an episode of CSI or somesuch in which it looked like a man suspected his neighbor of being one of the sekret reptilian overlord shape-changers and shot her.

This was before I used the DTV transition as an excuse to chuck the boob tube for good.
nomuse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2013, 01:11 AM   #279
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by nomuse View Post
I think I caught an episode of CSI or somesuch in which it looked like a man suspected his neighbor of being one of the sekret reptilian overlord shape-changers and shot her.

This was before I used the DTV transition as an excuse to chuck the boob tube for good.

Season 7 Episiode 22 "Leapin' Lizards"

The suicide of a farmer whose farm was raided by SWAT and a woman who was murdered and her head stuffed and mounted on a wall leads the crime lab to a form of conspiracy theorism that some people are actually reptiles in disguise.

I think it was one of those "pisstake" episodes

Old 22nd March 2013, 12:09 AM   #280
LongFuzzy
Critical Thinker

Apollo F-1 Engines found/recovered from ocean floor

"About a year ago, billionaire Jeff Bezos went to NASA with plans to recover some of the F-1 engines that helped power Apollo astronauts beyond Earth orbit in the late 1960s and early 1970s."

http://www.edn.com/electrical-engine...om-ocean-floor

-LF
LongFuzzy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories