IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 24th October 2016, 05:05 PM   #41
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
What fun. What will his excuse be when Trump loses and we don't have a "worldwide financial meltdown"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Alex Jones doesn't do "excuses". Any flawed predictions will simply be swamped by a tsunami of new flawed predictions, rendering it virtually impossible to find the original flawed predictions in order to point them out.

No, seriously, trying to Google Alex Jones videos is a fool's errand, as he post so many videos, it's near impossible to find one particular one amongst the chaff.
Old 24th October 2016, 05:13 PM   #42
Marcus
Illuminator

He was on Coast to Coast a couple nights ago and didn't do any screaming at all, very surprising. He sounded so reasonable you could see how someone only fractionally moronic could believe him. Perhaps a change in tactics.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 09:16 AM   #43
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
For info, I think a majority of people in the UK who care either way (rather than being ambivalent) dislike Piers Morgan. He was editor of three tabloid newspapers (at least) here, and developed a reputation for being smug and ingratiating. His papers were involved in phone hacking and in one case published faked photos which were meant to show UK troops abusing Iraqi citizens and urinating on the dead.

One satirical magazine here always refers to him as Piers Moron.

ETA - I think Stephen Fry once defined Countryside as the killing of Piers Morgan (I can edit this if that is against the MA, but I think it's OK).
Never knew that. Does explain alot.

So how did he end up at CNN? I mean, don't they know about the **** that he did?

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong

Last edited by tinribmancer; 25th October 2016 at 09:22 AM.
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 12:33 PM   #44
Axxman300
Philosopher

...and now the Jewish Mafia is behind it all:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...s-jewish-mafia

Anybody who says "I'm not anti-Semitic, but..." always is.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 01:48 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Jones has been sort of using code words and dog whistles for years to indicate the Jews are behind it all,(I called him on it in a thread here back in 2008 when he went after several Jews who worked for Obama.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 04:53 PM   #46
gypsyjackson
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Never knew that. Does explain alot.

So how did he end up at CNN? I mean, don't they know about the **** that he did?
He also engaged in insider trading; in court he was accused of buying 20k of shares in a company (Viglen is the name which popped into my head) he then instructed two of his financial journalists to 'pump'. He gave evidence against them, seemed to get off (perhaps as a result of a deal), and moved on to the US. It later transpired he actually invested 67k in his wife's name.

So yeah, CNN should have had all that information but still hired him. He can be quite charismatic and presumably had a British charm to them.

He's also known for being punched by Jeremy Clarkson in a rare example of a fight where the audience would have cheered for a double KO.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 09:21 PM   #47
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Mod WarningPlease, please remember to use the imgw=600 and /imgw tags for large images. Large images disrupt the appearance of our pages on many browsers and may hang a mini-browser completely. It is a violation of the MA, but we would hate to have to hand out infractions for it. Your future cooperation is appreciated.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Loss Leader

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2016, 11:12 PM   #48
Samzilla
Thinker

For a second there I was confusing Alex Jones with Art Bell...
Samzilla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 07:36 AM   #49
tinribmancer

I never thought that I would find a CTer on GOG...

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Mod WarningPlease, please remember to use the imgw=600 and /imgw tags for large images. Large images disrupt the appearance of our pages on many browsers and may hang a mini-browser completely. It is a violation of the MA, but we would hate to have to hand out infractions for it. Your future cooperation is appreciated.
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:Loss Leader
Sorry about that. I thought it was acceptible at that height.

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
He also engaged in insider trading; in court he was accused of buying 20k of shares in a company (Viglen is the name which popped into my head) he then instructed two of his financial journalists to 'pump'. He gave evidence against them, seemed to get off (perhaps as a result of a deal), and moved on to the US. It later transpired he actually invested 67k in his wife's name.

So yeah, CNN should have had all that information but still hired him. He can be quite charismatic and presumably had a British charm to them.

He's also known for being punched by Jeremy Clarkson in a rare example of a fight where the audience would have cheered for a double KO.
Going to look that one up.

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2016, 09:47 AM   #50
tinribmancer

http://gawker.com/alex-jones-screami...bly-1784780379

Found this in a post on GOG. There's a video on that site where Jonesy boy claims that Pepsi is being flavored with fetal stem cells.

Old 21st January 2017, 05:21 PM   #51
tinribmancer

Question wtf?

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...ildrens-brains

I'll just post this right here.

Old 23rd January 2017, 10:01 PM   #52
Civet
Graduate Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCYzMM7pgcc

Just glorious. Trump's going to release a horde of super-technologies to create a new golden age. Also "Trump hates bullies". Trump apparently some sort of altruist. Male protesters look like feminized zombies, females look like trolls. Ted Cruz some sort of Dracula. Street preachers electrical. Don't know how Jones manages to keep coming out with fresh material like this. Amazing.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:46 PM   #53
Civet
Graduate Poster

Slight deviation here. Does anyone know of a good, comparably funny and bombastic left-wing equivalent to Alex Jones?
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 08:01 PM   #54
Praktik
Philosopher

David Icke is like the peace and love version of Alex Jones. Yin to his yang.

Or lizardman to his demons, what have you
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 09:23 AM   #55
Praktik
Philosopher

Can someone watch this and analyze so I dont have to?

Joe Rogan vs Alex Jones today
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 11:23 AM   #56
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Slight deviation here. Does anyone know of a good, comparably funny and bombastic left-wing equivalent to Alex Jones?
RT?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 11:51 AM   #57
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
RT?
Not sure RT can be ranked on the left-wing side.

Furthermore the distinction left/right does not make much sense anymore...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 01:10 PM   #58
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
Not sure RT can be ranked on the left-wing side.

Furthermore the distinction left/right does not make much sense anymore...
Well, Civet did say "comparably". Definitely, a bit of a gray area-while RT is basically "Putin's Mouthpiece" they do include discussions with "Leftist" bloggers/dissenters who just happen to be aligned with RT's spin on a particular point. In any event, it is "funny and bombastic" in an unintentional kind of way.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 01:27 PM   #59
Civet
Graduate Poster

I remember when RT had Abby Martin and I thought she had real potential to bring the crazy. I still have hopes.
Old 1st February 2017, 07:00 PM   #60
cmikes
Muse

Check out Keith Olbermann's recent "work". Whatever you think of his runs at ESPN and MSNBC, he's gone straight out of his mind over Trump. He's been reduced to short YouTube rants that seem literally insane with sound quality like they're being recorded in his basement or something.

In a way, it's almost sad. He was obviously a good broadcaster at one time but he's so hard to work with that I doubt he'll ever get another chance at any serious network. If anything he'll end up with Larry King and Dan Rather doing commentary on RT.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2017, 07:47 PM   #61
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Check out Keith Olbermann's recent "work". Whatever you think of his runs at ESPN and MSNBC, he's gone straight out of his mind over Trump. He's been reduced to short YouTube rants that seem literally insane with sound quality like they're being recorded in his basement or something.

In a way, it's almost sad. He was obviously a good broadcaster at one time but he's so hard to work with that I doubt he'll ever get another chance at any serious network. If anything he'll end up with Larry King and Dan Rather doing commentary on RT.
By gum, I hadn't seen Olbermann in a while. The election has obviously affected him deeply. He's got that touch of madness in his eyes now. Even has the minimalist set reminding me of old-school Alex Jones or classic Democracy Now. Just needs some random piles of paper on his desk.
Old 1st February 2017, 08:32 PM   #62
Praktik
Philosopher

I think comparing olbermann to Jones is still giving Jones too much credit.

I stand by David Icke as being the more appropriate mirror image.

Next to Jones Olbermann looks like Wolf Blitzer.

If Olbermann exists on the fringe of rational discourse Jones is still way out there past him

Last edited by Praktik; 1st February 2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 1st February 2017, 08:43 PM   #63
Civet
Graduate Poster

I enjoy the comedy stylings of David Icke, I just don't know that he can be classified as a lefty. If Jones represents a type of conservatism and Olbermann a strain of liberalism, Icke represents a bucket of gravy with some tulips in it. He's just his own thing.
Old 2nd February 2017, 08:03 PM   #64
cmikes
Muse

Originally Posted by Praktik View Post
I think comparing olbermann to Jones is still giving Jones too much credit.

I stand by David Icke as being the more appropriate mirror image.

Next to Jones Olbermann looks like Wolf Blitzer.

If Olbermann exists on the fringe of rational discourse Jones is still way out there past him

In his MSNBC days, I'd agree with you. I didn't agree with his positions, but he was still mostly rational. But as I said, he's gone way around the bend since then. If you didn't know who he was, you could easily take Olbermann's recent rants as typical of some Icke/Jones/random YouTube crazies work.

I enjoy the comedy stylings of David Icke, I just don't know that he can be classified as a lefty. If Jones represents a type of conservatism and Olbermann a strain of liberalism, Icke represents a bucket of gravy with some tulips in it. He's just his own thing.

I would say that Jones more represents anarchy more than any kind of conservatism. Let's not forget that Jones was a (if not THE) big pusher of the whole "BUSH DID 9/11!!!111!!!" and "FEMA'S TAKING OVER THE COUNTRY!!!111!!" memes of the early 2000s. I think that if any other Republican other than Trump had beaten Clinton in the election, we'd be hearing all about how "they" were taking over, among other conspiracy crap.

Last edited by cmikes; 2nd February 2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:40 AM   #65
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
In his MSNBC days, I'd agree with you. I didn't agree with his positions, but he was still mostly rational. But as I said, he's gone way around the bend since then. If you didn't know who he was, you could easily take Olbermann's recent rants as typical of some Icke/Jones/random YouTube crazies work..
Sorry this is still exaggerating bow crazy olbermann is, there's no way he reaches the lunacy of Jones and Icke, they are in a separate class in the wilderness

I know you don't like Olbermann, but please let's keep some perspective.

Have you read or watched much Jones or Icke?

Comparing a panicky partisan to them is giving Jones and Icke WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT!! And it's probably a bit unfair to olbermann

Last edited by Praktik; 3rd February 2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:53 AM   #66
Praktik
Philosopher

Basically if I was to consider people like Olbermann but on the other side, I would think of maybe Hannity, Goldberg or even Coulter.

I do NOT think of Jones or Jerome Corsi or Paul Joseph Watson.

Thats if comparisons like this are even all that illuminating. Probably we should see these as statements of political self-identity rather than offering much objective insight about the individuals in these questions about who the equivalent is "on the other side". This is accepting of a binary formulation of political identity, which I also have problems with. That said I suppose my argument is there is no reason to NOT consider Olbermann a typical part of the political war by mainstream individuals.

There's lots of "crazy people" there too.

I just don't like how the Jones/Olbermann comparison almost normalizes Jones and we really need to keep him in a special place

Last edited by Praktik; 3rd February 2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 3rd February 2017, 07:52 AM   #67
cmikes
Muse

Sorry this is still exaggerating bow crazy olbermann is, there's no way he reaches the lunacy of Jones and Icke, they are in a separate class in the wilderness

I know you don't like Olbermann, but please let's keep some perspective.

Have you read or watched much Jones or Icke?

Comparing a panicky partisan to them is giving Jones and Icke WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT!! And it's probably a bit unfair to olbermann

Eh, you may be right. It may also be a style thing with Olbermann. The bombastic, faux Shakespearean way he starts out before degenerating into a spittle flecked rant is pure Jones, so that style may be distracting from the actual content. I'm willing to concede that Jones at least, is crazier with the content of his beliefs than Olbermann. I admit that I haven't watched a lot Icke, though, so I couldn't really say other than someone that believes in lizard people from space is obviously, to use a technical term, ******* nuts.
Old 6th February 2017, 06:56 AM   #68
Praktik
Philosopher

Here's the thing, you can be like "normal crazy"

And you can be like "Alex Jones Crazy"

I just want to keep that separation between the profane and mundane worlds..
Old 6th February 2017, 07:15 AM   #69
Praktik
Philosopher

http://www.thewrap.com/alex-jones-sa...er-bowl-video/

Nice moment for secular Jones fans to appreciate they are following a fundamentalist christian obsessed with demons

Very a la carte, most Jones fans, taking the fluoride/vaccine/globalist/911 stuff - mostly ignoring and not responding to his fundie christian paranoia about satan and demons
Old 6th February 2017, 09:58 AM   #70
Praktik
Philosopher

But ya back to Icke - he really is the hippie version of Jones - both believe nearly ALL the same stuff: vaccines, fluoride, masonic and occult influence on "globalists", 9/11

But you see Jones really does come from the socio-cultural heritage of the far-right, and it shows in his fundie christian stuff about Satan and demons and in his almost Beckian patriotism and 2nd amendment festishization.

Icke was a soccer player and celebrity - came into conspiracy theory from a totally different place. My friend who's into him thinks Alex Jones is a disinfo agent and constantly references how I should read Icke because "its really about love".

Jones will colour his rants with rage and yelling - Icke will end his with New Age Newspeak about love/harmony and warmed over Chopra-ism.

Incidentally, many Jones fans think Icke is "disinfo", because shape-shifting reptilians are so crazy he's just out there to discredit Truth Seekers by making them look silly - a CIA plant.

Kind of funny how the followers of each guy, who have so much in common in the Crazy Venn Diagram, think the other one is "disinfo".

But its the far-right cultural heritage of Jones that puts him in the "right-wing nutter" category, and the New Age hippie-speak of Icke that puts him in the "left wing nutter" category for me - and its this distinct vector for each of them which I think keeps their fans apart in almost distinct groups, each kind of pulling more adherents from the side of the spectrum they are closer to themselves.

Two sides of a crazy coin.

Last edited by Praktik; 6th February 2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:09 AM   #71
Hans
Philosopher

Two sides of a crazy coin.
A true crazy coin has three sides and it often lands on that that third edge.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 11:16 AM   #72
Praktik
Philosopher

The Vorlons always said that Truth is A Three Edged Sword
Old 8th February 2017, 02:20 PM   #73
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Chemtrails!
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 01:57 AM   #74
Civet
Graduate Poster

Priebus is apparently the real enemy.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:14 AM   #75
Tolls
Philosopher

"Trump Strikes Back!"

chortle.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2017, 06:12 AM   #76
Degeneve
Muse

I like this quote! Strangely enough I got the feeling Trump has made the same during the last 20 years:

Quote:
Since then Buchan has spent a lot of time trying to evade taxes and not pay bills
so, if I understand well, tax evasion and not paying bills is good when done by Trump and bad if done by anyone else...

Last edited by Degeneve; 16th February 2017 at 06:14 AM.
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 01:46 AM   #77
Civet
Graduate Poster

Turns out Obama's Stasi (didn't know he had one) is also behind the leaks. Presumably working with Priebus. A cunning plan.
Old 18th February 2017, 06:44 PM   #78
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

I don't know about Icke - haven't read or seen enough of him to understand his market niche.

Jones is a successful producer now. I am not sure about his early track record, didn't follow him, but he has assembled a pool of people that is very impressive talent-wise. Paul Joseph Watson is his biggest, but he has a whole team that puts out a lot of material at a fraction the cost of the legacy media.

It is a very interesting thing watching the shrieking. Nobody shrieked about the National Enquirer doing martian baby stories and all - so what, just bored housewife pulp fiction with a veneer of, no I can't even say it - plausibility? lol.

But Jones seems to invoke panic because anyone with a phone can shoot pics of Hillary Clinton being dragged into her pseudo-ambulance, leaving a shoe on the pavement. Or her bizarre twitching/jerking etc. Jones will put that out and make a small fortune off it.

Paul Joseph Watson gets millions of views, the others I don't know the data on but collectively it is tens of millions - just beating the stuffing out of legacy media having staggering budgets.

Jones is the one who is going to capitalize on legacy media lies, and boy it sells like nothing else. Apparently it sells water purifiers and whatever "nutricuticals" are. Blah blah blah, US Special Forces contract (you know that screams cheap, right? Five hundred dollar hammers.) lol.

So what. The more interesting thing to me is watching the infinite stream of ad hominems. It seems he is a threat to the collectivist narratives, yeah. Not because his own thoughts on things are necessarily correct but that he is a ready platform for common-citizen checks on framing public perception.

Just like the National Enquirer (and the like) was the go-to place for that kind of thing before the digital age. Between moon hoax stories and martian babies are photos - real - of Marylin Monroe and Bobby Kennedy or whatever.

Speaking of which they have tried to gravitate more to the mainstream too, as I see Jones has tried. Publishers adapt to changing market opportunities over time. Putting out younger people that aren't as automatically conspiracy minded as Jones is really selling for him.

He's got a harem of babes now. Three I can think of. Way to go, Alex. Easy on the eyes. More of them, less of you, if you please Alex.

Last edited by AlaskaBushPilot; 18th February 2017 at 06:50 PM.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 09:54 PM   #79
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So you will support any nutjob who is "Anti Establishment"?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 10:09 PM   #80
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
So you will support any nutjob who is "Anti Establishment"?
That's exactly why we need a left-wing equivalent. Plenty of reliable anti-establishment extremist conspiracy theorists on the left, but a complete failure to mobilize them as a voter base. Hillary didn't reach out to them at all. I was watching Olbermann recently and he had not one story about Trump staging false flag attacks or the Koch brothers secretly funding Alex Jones. The man stuck to completely useless facts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories