IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , infowars

Old 3rd May 2019, 08:47 AM   #321
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I did love the Washington Post headline on this story:

Facebook Bans Far Right Leaders Including Louis Farrakhan, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos for Being Dangerous.

One of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn't belong....

Last edited by Brainster; 3rd May 2019 at 09:06 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:17 AM   #322
applecorped
Banned

Streisand effect
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:31 AM   #323
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Streisand effect
didn't work for Alex Jones when he was banned from Facebook.
This time, he was also banned from Instagram.
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:47 AM   #324
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Streisand effect
If you had used a complete sentence, you might have made a point. If you did mean to say that this will increase Jones' attention, you would be wrong. Even if his web traffic doubled for a minute, after it comes back down, all he has is increased web traffic minus facebook minus youtube minus twitter minus instagram. In other words, lower total reach.

Last edited by carlitos; 3rd May 2019 at 09:49 AM. Reason: clarity
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:47 AM   #325
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Doesn't affect me personally as I don't do either Facebook or Instagram.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 11:41 AM   #326
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
His voice is weird and he’s not that bright

What is it with (some) U.S. American male voices?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 01:38 PM   #327
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
And when he was gone, they said "Job well done!" and went back to normal life.
Hey man, how about a spoiler alert?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:06 PM   #328
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The last time he got banned, he received a surge of traffic to his website
I'd put money on that being because when the news came out that "Alex Jones has been banned from ......." many of those who have never heard of him (and that would be the vast majority of the world) asked "Who the **** is Alex Jones?", so they Googled him and ended up on his website.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 07:42 PM   #329
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know where this fits but Alex was deposed early last month about Sandy Hook. Jones, who is being sued by multiple Sandy Hook families of students and educators killed in the shootings, admitted it really happened.

Huh?

Quote:
"And I, myself, have almost had like a form of psychosis back in the past where I basically thought everything was staged, even though I've now learned a lot of times things aren't staged," he said. CNN Link
Oh come on, that's his defense, it really did happen but he was too psycho to know it? Big letdown. I thought he'd go proudly down with his ship. Instead, he's paddling that lifeboat like crazy!
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 04:32 AM   #330
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't know where this fits but Alex was deposed early last month about Sandy Hook. Jones, who is being sued by multiple Sandy Hook families of students and educators killed in the shootings, admitted it really happened.

Huh?

Oh come on, that's his defense, it really did happen but he was too psycho to know it? Big letdown. I thought he'd go proudly down with his ship. Instead, he's paddling that lifeboat like crazy!
"Good" lawyers always come up with innovative defenses. Why does this shock you?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 08:00 PM   #331
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

Huh?

he's trying to cover his ass with what he said during his divorce proceedings while also trying to bail himself out of this.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 09:17 AM   #332
Bubba
Banned

She will pay for this

But, but what about Tulsi Gabbard ?

She said:

Quote:
If anyone needed further evidence that Facebook is censoring free speech, they provided that evidence themselves by deleting Elizabeth Waarren's post calling for the breakup of FaceBook.

FaceBook proved the charge that they are undermining free speech. If FaceBook will censor my speech, they will censor your speech as well.

This is why we must stand up for free speech. Whether we agree with the content of that speech or not.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 09:27 AM   #333
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The last time he got banned, he received a surge of traffic to his website, but it has come back to earth now. If this happens again, or even if he only grows the website by half, that means that these bans are definitely reducing his total reach.

Besides the obvious benefit of having less people exposed to his poisonous ideas, there will presumably be less people suckered into buying his poisonous, ineffectual supplement products.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...c575421c9d.jpg
I knew I shouldn’t but I went there to look for the Laura Loomer meltdown.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 02:09 PM   #334
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
But, but what about Tulsi Gabbard ?

She said:
By that standard it is ok to yell "fire" in a crowded room when their is no fire.
Old 6th May 2019, 05:41 PM   #335
Bubba
Banned

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I did love the Washington Post headline on this story:

Facebook Bans Far Right Leaders Including Louis Farrakhan, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos for Being Dangerous.

One of these things is not like the others; one of these things just doesn't belong....

Gee I wonder why
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 11:42 AM   #336
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Alex Jones' Infowars has settled with Matt Furie, the creator of the Pepe Frog character, who had sued for violation of copyright after Infowars began selling pro-Trump posters prominently featuring the character during the campaign.

The settlement requires Infowars to pay Furie $15,000 - which is more money than Infowars took in from the poster sales - and never use the character again for any purpose. According to Infowars' attorneys, this means InfoWars has "won" the lawsuit.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:47 PM   #337
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
... According to Infowars' attorneys, this means InfoWars has "won" the lawsuit.
Really. Apparently that's a definition of "won" I haven't encountered before.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:12 PM   #338
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by grmcdorman View Post
Really. Apparently that's a definition of "won" I haven't encountered before.
It is a small amount, far smaller than the $1.2 million in damages that were sought.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:58 PM   #339
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Poor old Alex (and his lawyers)... too stupid to understand that you go into these lawsuits asking for much, much more than you are prepared to settle for.

You know you will settle for $20,000 so you ask for $5 million - the plaintiff settles for $25,000, you win! If you went in asking for $20,000, the plaintiff pretty much knows he won't ever have to pay that out.

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:32 AM   #340
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Alex Jones' Infowars has settled with Matt Furie, the creator of the Pepe Frog character, who had sued for violation of copyright after Infowars began selling pro-Trump posters prominently featuring the character during the campaign.

The settlement requires Infowars to pay Furie $15,000 - which is more money than Infowars took in from the poster sales - and never use the character again for any purpose. According to Infowars' attorneys, this means InfoWars has "won" the lawsuit.
No judgement for legal costs was made, so presumably Furie is considerably out of pocket, and perhaps Jones and his lawyers see that as a win.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 04:52 AM   #341
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
No judgement for legal costs was made, so presumably Furie is considerably out of pocket, and perhaps Jones and his lawyers see that as a win.

I see this as a win for us all. Because, if you read the story, Jones apparently only sold about $14000 worth of those products. When you consider that it was deliberately pandering to the most racist Trump supporters out there, this means one of two things:
  1. There aren't that many of those types out there in real life, or
  2. Jones' access to and influence over that market has seriously waned in the last few years

I see either of those options as a good thing.
Old 13th June 2019, 08:31 AM   #342
carlitos
"más divertido"

Alex is feeling the heat. The other day, on his show, he did the program from the old, smaller studio because he was "feeling nostalgic." I bet he's already letting staff go and downsizing the operation. He already seems to do less travel and real reporting / filmmaking than he did 5 years ago.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 11:28 AM   #343
bknight
Master Poster

Alex is feeling the heat. The other day, on his show, he did the program from the old, smaller studio because he was "feeling nostalgic." I bet he's already letting staff go and downsizing the operation. He already seems to do less travel and real reporting / filmmaking than he did 5 years ago.
I find it difficult to believe that you listen to him.
Old 13th June 2019, 11:33 AM   #344
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I find it difficult to believe that you listen to him.
easiest way to know the enemy is to listen to them.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 11:35 AM   #345
carlitos
"más divertido"

I listen to podcasters who listen to him and play clips from the show. Occasionally, I go back to find a segment from the show archives.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:01 PM   #346
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
Well I don't consider him to be an enemy, just like any other. So therefore I don't listen to the nonsense.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:04 PM   #347
bknight
Master Poster

I listen to podcasters who listen to him and play clips from the show. Occasionally, I go back to find a segment from the show archives.
And are these gents any better than Alex? I guess it boils down to who/what your social agenda might include.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:08 PM   #348
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

In a shocking twist, it turns out Pepe the Frog had been turned gay by chemicals in the water. Alex jones was heard to say "I told you so".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 12:10 PM   #349
carlitos
"más divertido"

And are these gents any better than Alex? I guess it boils down to who/what your social agenda might include.
I'm not understanding your question. Better how?

ETA - Social agenda? I usually listen while I'm doing other things, so podcasts don't really impact my social life.

Last edited by carlitos; 13th June 2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:28 PM   #350
bknight
Master Poster

I'm not understanding your question. Better how?

ETA - Social agenda? I usually listen while I'm doing other things, so podcasts don't really impact my social life.
More trust worthy, better informed, not inclined toward sensationalism/conspiracies.

Ah, white noise, I prefer music myself.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:36 PM   #351
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Old 14th June 2019, 07:19 AM   #352
carlitos
"más divertido"

More trust worthy, better informed, not inclined toward sensationalism/conspiracies.
Since you don't listen to podcasts, and you apparently didn't click the link to read the show descriptions, I'll just leave you to guess.

Ah, white noise, I prefer music myself.
Calling narration and conversation "white noise" seems a little dismissive. I love music, and listen to it all the time. Sometimes I listen to podcasts with people talking. I never, ever listen to white noise; it jumbles up my brain.

By the way, the podcast I linked has been going through Alex' shows from 2013, just after Sandy Hook, and it's been pretty enlightening in a couple of ways. 6 years later, and Obama and "the globalists" still haven't taken our guns and declared martial law.
Old 14th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #353
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Jones has finally jumped the shark.
I see that the Trump White House has not been eager to proclaim their friendship for him for a while.
I really think that although it earned him some short term success, his coming out so strongly for Trump hurt him in the long run. A good deal of the conspiracy community thought he basically sold out to The Establishment, and he lost all chances of being able to reclaim the following he once had with left wing conspiracy theorists during the height of the 9/11 Truth movement. He burned too many bridges behind him with his Trump support.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 14th June 2019 at 04:36 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:29 AM   #354
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Alex Jones claims Sandy Hook families planted child porn on his email server

Quote:
Infowars founder Alex Jones and his lawyer, Norm Pattis, say the conspiracy theory aficionado was the target of a malware attack that left child pornography embedded on his servers, a move which they say sparked an FBI investigation.

With Pattis by his side on his show Friday, Jones exploded into a five-minute rant before announcing he would fork over $1 million to whoever finds the culprit.

Jones is currently being sued by the families of Sandy Hook victims who say he has profited off of spreading claims the massacre was a hoax. He appeared to suggest repeatedly throughout Friday’s episode that he was framed by someone tied to those suing him. He repeatedly singled out Christopher Mattei, a former Assistant U.S. Attorney who currently represents the Sandy Hook families, and railed against Democrats who he appeared to believe were working against him.

“I am so sick of their filth and living off the dead kids of Sandy Hook.”
The FBI will have to sort out the porn business; but that last statement is rich coming from Jones. All the Sandy Hook families have ever tried to do is put the past behind them, and only harassment by legions of Alex Jones fans, radicalized by his own insistence that they were paid hoaxers and their dead children were fake, have prevented them from doing so.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 12:38 PM   #355
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Fine by me!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 12:42 PM   #356
fuelair
Banned

The FBI will have to sort out the porn business; but that last statement is rich coming from Jones. All the Sandy Hook families have ever tried to do is put the past behind them, and only harassment by legions of Alex Jones fans, radicalized by his own insistence that they were paid hoaxers and their dead children were fake, have prevented them from doing so.
Speaking of living off the deaths of the children at Sandy Hook, Jones has worked up a lot of funds for doing that. May he rot in a placeless place of hard cold and fiery heat alternating every 10 or so minutes!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 04:53 PM   #357
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Quote:
<snip>

“I am so sick of their filth and living off the dead kids of Sandy Hook.”
I wonder if we are misinterpreting what Jones has said. Maybe he means that he is sick of living off the suffering of others. Yes, the child porn was planted, but by Jones himself. He goes to jail so that he no longer has to live such a terrible life and can reform himself.

Yes this is pure speculation, but is it reasonable?
Old 15th June 2019, 06:19 PM   #358
Whip
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I wondethe child porn was planted, but by Jones himself.
my mind instantly went to the same thing when instead of going to the authorities, he wants others to get involved so he can say, 'well, look at all the other people that have been in here'.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:37 PM   #359
carlitos
"más divertido"

He wouldn’t offer $1 million if there was a chance anyone would claim it, so it’s got to be a bogus story.

Also, Norm Pattis would be the third Alex Jones lawyer on his show in 2 days. He had Mark Randazza and Robert Barnes on last Thursday. He sure has a lot of lawyers.
Old 16th June 2019, 04:37 PM   #360
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Randazza, the "free speech" lawyer. As long as it's right-wing speech.
Ken "Popehat" White still seems to think he's a good guy. I disagree.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories