IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , joe biden , Trump conspiracies

Closed Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 11:47 AM   #361
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

As for German tradition. Captain Langsdorff of the Graf Spee springs to mind.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 11:48 AM   #362
Meadmaker

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I remember a scene from a movie that my parents were watching when I was a kid. Hitler promoted an officer he didn't particularly like to General shortly before a battle that he commanded and lost. The General surrendered and was taken prisoner, and when Hitler learned this, he went on a rant about how he had specifically promoted the man so that he would commit suicide when defeated, and he couldn't even do that right.
You got the details slightly wrong. Friederich Paulus, commander at Stalingrad, was promoted from General to Field Marshal for exactly that reason, and Hitler was furious when he surrendered.

(There may have been more than one such incident during the war, but that one is recognizable.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 11:49 AM   #363
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
His niece, Mary, thinks he very well might make a final trip to a foreign country near the end of his term.

A one-way trip. To a country with no extradition treaty with the US. And there’s nothing that could be done to stop him.
If he does that, I hope he takes his scumbag immediate family with him, all of them... Jr, Ivanka, Eric, Jarrod, the lot. As for Melania, I think she will dump him anyway.

Would he be entitled to have his former Presidential security detail in another country? Even if he was, would that other country allow it, especially if carrying firearms was not allowed under the laws?

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 7th December 2020 at 11:51 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 12:05 PM   #364
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Would he be entitled to have his former Presidential security detail in another country? Even if he was, would that other country allow it, especially if carrying firearms was not allowed under the laws?

I know in Canada there have been occasional times when Canadian authorities were not entirely happy with what weapons the USSS wanted to have when visiting Canada, but in general, we make at least some exceptions in this case.

I expect other countries have similar issues. We could deny them the privilege of carrying weapons, though, if we really wanted to. For a sitting President, I'd assume they'd cancel the visit rather than be completely disarmed, but for a former president, that's not so clear cut. Particularly if that former president was begging for asylum at the time.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:21 PM   #365
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
For a sitting President, I'd assume they'd cancel the visit rather than be completely disarmed, but for a former president, that's not so clear cut. Particularly if that former president was begging for asylum at the time.
Hey, let's offer Trump asylum and then sell him to China. He'd do no less for any of us.
Old 7th December 2020, 12:29 PM   #366
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
You got the details slightly wrong. Friederich Paulus, commander at Stalingrad, was promoted from General to Field Marshal for exactly that reason, and Hitler was furious when he surrendered.

(There may have been more than one such incident during the war, but that one is recognizable.)

It was 35-40 years ago, so the details were a little fuzzy.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 01:12 PM   #367
Reformed Offlian
Graduate Poster

ITYM 75-80 years ago?

ETA, oh, you meant when you saw the documentary. My bad.
Reformed Offlian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 01:12 PM   #368
Meadmaker

And unless you were a history buff, who has watched a lot of WWII documentaries, it's not likely to be something that a lot of people knew..

But your memory was basically correct, and whatever you were watching wasn't a work of fiction. The incident is directly from history.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 01:41 PM   #369
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And unless you were a history buff, who has watched a lot of WWII documentaries, it's not likely to be something that a lot of people knew..

But your memory was basically correct, and whatever you were watching wasn't a work of fiction. The incident is directly from history.

It was probably a drama based on historical events. Among other things, I'm pretty sure I remember it being in color. There was also a deliberate pan to the other officers looking uncomfortable as Hitler ranted about him not killing himself.
After learning the Field Marshal's name today, I tried to find what it may have been, but the only thing that comes up are documentaries.

Last edited by Armitage72; 7th December 2020 at 01:49 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 01:43 PM   #370
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

1960's protest singer Barry McGuire (Eve of Destruction) came up on my other forum. I just saw a recent picture of him. He looks like Wilfred Brimley.
Old 7th December 2020, 01:53 PM   #371
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Burt Jones
@burtjonesforga
Georgia Patriot Call to Action: today is the day we need you to call your state Senate & House Reps & ask them to sign the petition for a special session. We must have free & fair elections in GA & a this is our only path to ensuring every legal vote is counted.
@realDonaldTrump
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 01:54 PM   #372
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

@realDonaldTrump
The Republican Governor of Georgia refuses to do signature verification, which would give us an easy win. What’s wrong with this guy? What is he hiding?
Old 7th December 2020, 02:14 PM   #373
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
According to the film, Hitler had a strange contempt for the German people. He thought that if they weren't strong enough to win, they had no right to survive. There's a parallel with Trump -- if the American people aren't stupid enough to set aside their self-interest and swallow his BS, then they don't deserve to survive either.

Yeah, I didn't really intend to Godwin this thread, but here we are.
Given that Trump's personality is remarkably similar to Hitler's, Trump uses a bunch of the same tactics as Hitler (Trump was literally taught to do so, for that matter), Trump runs the government in a remarkably similar way to how Hitler did, and Trump has been leading the country in the same direction as Hitler - Godwinning nearly any Trump thread is all too reasonable.
Old 7th December 2020, 02:30 PM   #374
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

His niece, Mary, thinks he very well might make a final trip to a foreign country near the end of his term.

A one-way trip. To a country with no extradition treaty with the US. And there’s nothing that could be done to stop him.
Oh, I don't know about 'nothing'. A <redacted> might work, or maybe we could <redacted> and bring him back to face trial. Can we get the Terminator, Robo Cop, and Rambo on a conference call and see if they will be available come February?
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 02:57 PM   #375
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

@realDonaldTrump
The Republican Governor of Georgia refuses to do signature verification, which would give us an easy win. What’s wrong with this guy? What is he hiding?
He is honest. .... Wait, let me explain: Honesty is .... wait .... nevermind. ..He has integrety. Let me explain, integrity is .... nevermind....

Hans
Old 7th December 2020, 06:07 PM   #376
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mail-In rejection rate was minuscule compared to what it used to be. Ken Starr Meaning that massive numbers of bad votes were pouring in!

State officials were ignorant of the limitations imposed by the Constitution. Ken Starr

“These actions on the part of State Officials, making these changes, were violating the Constitution of the U.S. They were usurping power.” Ken Starr
Old 7th December 2020, 06:20 PM   #377
SezMe
post-pre-born

And give up his rallies? Nope, won't happen. Also, he'd lose his cult members because a personality cult dies if the leader disappears. Finally, continuing his grift may well be his main source of income and that would dry up right away if he turns tail and runs off.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 07:18 PM   #378
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mail-In rejection rate was minuscule compared to what it used to be. Ken Starr Meaning that massive numbers of bad votes were pouring in!

State officials were ignorant of the limitations imposed by the Constitution. Ken Starr

“These actions on the part of State Officials, making these changes, were violating the Constitution of the U.S. They were usurping power.” Ken Starr
Golly! Maybe someone should have brought the lawsuit in a timely manner, instead of after everyone had voted.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th December 2020, 07:39 PM   #379
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets
“Georgia is not the only state that pushed through these last minute rules changes before the presidential election.” @marthamaccallum They forgot about our Constitution!
Old 7th December 2020, 09:31 PM   #380
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Georgia Lt. Governor @GeoffDuncanGA is a RINO Never Trumper who got himself elected as LG by falsely claiming to be “pro-Trump”. Too dumb or corrupt to recognize massive evidence of fraud in GA & should be replaced! We need every great Georgian to call him out! #SpecialSession!
Old 8th December 2020, 03:14 AM   #381
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

That would create an interesting dilemma for his SS security team. I can see how it might go.

"You boys go ahead and load back up on AF1. I think I'll just hang around here for a while."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:17 AM   #382
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It would seem that the addendum, "...but running away is fine!" kind of contradicts the "Never give up!" part.

"He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day."

It isn't 'giving up'. It's a tactical advance to the rear.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:19 AM   #383
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That would create an interesting dilemma for his SS security team. I can see how it might go.

"You boys go ahead and load back up on AF1. I think I'll just hang around here for a while."
Or maybe, "You boys just wait here a minute, I left some stuff back on AF1 that I have to pop back for." And then he'll nick it.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:27 AM   #384
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

At least that would stop him running in 2024.

Dave

I'm not sure that it would.

Qualifications to be President;
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
The highlighted part doesn't specify when those fourteen years have to have occurred. It could be argued that there is no reason they have to have been current up to the time of the election.

Sure, that might be a bit of a reach, but if you don't think it is the sort of argument Trump lawyers would cheerfully make in court then you haven't been paying attention.

And it isn't beyond credulity to suspect that Trumpist SCOTUS judges might find safe haven in such logic.

Old 8th December 2020, 03:31 AM   #385
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That's sort of fine. And when he goes, revoke his passport and/or citizenship. Then he is out forever, and also may not run for US president ever again no matter what he blusters about 2024.

I'm pretty sure that his citizenship cannot be revoked against his will. If he were a naturalized citizen it could. But he isn't.

He could ask for it to be revoked, but I don't see him doing that. And that request doesn't have to be granted even if he were to.

Old 8th December 2020, 03:34 AM   #386
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

The highlighted part doesn't specify when those fourteen years have to have occurred. It could be argued that there is no reason they have to have been current up to the time of the election.
I was more thinking that he might find it a bit difficult to run an effective campaign when he's a fugitive from justice in a foreign country. Stranger things have happened, though. I'd like to think that Trump campaigning over a video link from Russia on the basis that the Democrats were in the pocket of foreign interests would be too much for his followers to swallow, but given what they've already digested I suppose they'd be able to rationalise it without missing a step.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:35 AM   #387
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If he does that, I hope he takes his scumbag immediate family with him, all of them... Jr, Ivanka, Eric, Jarrod, the lot. As for Melania, I think she will dump him anyway.

Countries like the UK have exceptions for diplomats and other “high” ranking visitors to have armed guards. I would have thought as a courtesy an ex President of the US would fall under that and would likely have additional UK supplied armed details if they wanted. We wouldn’t really want even an ex POTUS to be assassinated whilst visiting.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:36 AM   #388
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
He is honest. .... Wait, let me explain: Honesty is .... wait .... nevermind. ..He has integrety. Let me explain, integrity is .... nevermind....

Hans
Or much more difficult for Trump to understand “you cant have everything you want”.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 03:39 AM   #389
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Oh, I don't know about 'nothing'. A <redacted> might work, or maybe we could <redacted> and bring him back to face trial. Can we get the Terminator, Robo Cop, and Rambo on a conference call and see if they will be available come February?

I don't know why we'd need anyone all that special.

Look up "extraordinary rendition". The U.S. government, up to the Presidential level, has been sanctioning the illegal abduction and removal of people from sovereign states at least as far back as the Reagan administration. It's almost routine.

And most of them haven't even been U.S. citizens, which makes it even more egregious.

Old 8th December 2020, 03:45 AM   #390
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
And give up his rallies? Nope, won't happen. Also, he'd lose his cult members because a personality cult dies if the leader disappears. Finally, continuing his grift may well be his main source of income and that would dry up right away if he turns tail and runs off.

From what I've seen of his supporters I doubt that hiding in another country would dampen their enthusiasm much. He could do virtual rallies and paint himself as a persecuted victim. He's doing that already. Hell, he's been doing that since before he was elected.

I'm not sure what it would take for them to abandon him, but I don't think that would be it.

Old 8th December 2020, 03:51 AM   #391
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump Tweets

Georgia Lt. Governor @GeoffDuncanGA is a RINO Never Trumper who got himself elected as LG by falsely claiming to be “pro-Trump”. Too dumb or corrupt to recognize massive evidence of fraud in GA & should be replaced! We need every great Georgian to call him out! #SpecialSession!

A RINO is anyone failing to provide unquestioning, unwavering support for Trump no matter what he says or does.

The sad thing is that this is largely true. The GOP has become the Party of Trump.

Where this takes them in the future remains to be seen. I can only hope it is down to their ultimate destruction as a viable political entity in the U.S..

Old 8th December 2020, 03:54 AM   #392
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Countries like the UK have exceptions for diplomats and other “high” ranking visitors to have armed guards. I would have thought as a courtesy an ex President of the US would fall under that and would likely have additional UK supplied armed details if they wanted. We wouldn’t really want even an ex POTUS to be assassinated whilst visiting.

You guys don't need to put yourselves out for our sake.

Old 8th December 2020, 05:43 AM   #393
sts60
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
How about, “he’s a dirt ball, but he doesn’t want to go to jail for you”?
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 05:48 AM   #394
Armitage72
Philosopher

Or maybe, "You boys just wait here a minute, I left some stuff back on AF1 that I have to pop back for." And then he'll nick it.

As an amusing aside, I recently watched the new Animaniacs reboot. In one episode, the Warners went to Russia to stop the production of a rip-off of their show. It ended with them going to a Russian airport to return home.

"How'd she find us a flight so fast?"
"Apparently, this plane flies Moscow to Washington daily."

The camera pulled back to show them boarding Air Force One while "Hail to the Chief" played.
Old 8th December 2020, 08:41 AM   #395
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
“Two years before she'd become the breakout star of the clown show Rudy Giuliani brought to Lansing this week, Mellissa Carone was sending her then-boyfriend's ex-wife graphic videos of the two of them having sex.

Police reports obtained by Deadline Detroit reveal obscenity and computer crime charges filed against the 33-year-old Grosse Pointe Woods mother stem from a harassment campaign she waged against a 42-year-old woman in 2018 and 2019...”

The degeneracy and depravity of the Trump mob never fails to impress.
Hey if it is good enough for the Kushner's why shouldn't it be good enough for the witnesses?

Sending sex tapes like that is pure class in Trumpland.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 08:51 AM   #396
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

At least that would stop him running in 2024.

Dave
No it wouldn't.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th December 2020, 09:02 AM   #397
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Dave

One amusing scenario: Trump lands AF1 in some Trump-friendly but US-unfriendly country. They then deny AF1 permission to take off, and block the runways.

I suppose the US could drone strike AF1 in hopes of denying this country access to its top secret infrastructure, but even the wreckage would probably be useful, and the optics of this would still be horrible.

I'm pretty sure that his citizenship cannot be revoked against his will. If he were a naturalized citizen it could. But he isn't.

In these unprecedented times, who are we to stand in the way of one more unprecedented action? Revoke his citizenship, and let him argue his case from the Middleofnowherestan.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:12 AM   #398
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Ladies, gentlemen and the rest - this is the election fraud CT fraud!

On the topic of the fraud CT...

One of the latest judgements: https://www.scribd.com/document_down...4hT4E5poOZaMCI

Interesting reading. What I’ve found in all these judgements is they all have gone beyond what they needed to do to dismiss or find against the plaintiffs. They all seem to have an eye on possible appeals. So in this one it’s not “you don’t have standing - here is why - dismissed” but “you don’t have standing - here is why - but even if you did have standing here is why it would have been dismissed anyway”.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:26 AM   #399
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Getting a "This link is not valid".

Interesting reading. What I’ve found in all these judgements is they all have gone beyond what they needed to do to dismiss or find against the plaintiffs. They all seem to have an eye on possible appeals. So in this one it’s not “you don’t have standing - here is why - dismissed” but “you don’t have standing - here is why - but even if you did have standing here is why it would have been dismissed anyway”.
Yes, noticed that too. That's why I like to read these judgements.
"You have no standing, and if you had standing, laches, and if not laches, it is moot, and if it wasn't moot, it's utter nonsense".
Old 8th December 2020, 10:19 AM   #400
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

In these unprecedented times, who are we to stand in the way of one more unprecedented action? Revoke his citizenship, and let him argue his case from the Middleofnowherestan.
No--that establishes a precedent that, frankly, extreme right types have been picking at--they want to be able to revoke citizenship if a person is "bad" enough.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories