IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , joe biden , Trump conspiracies

Closed Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 11:37 AM   #81
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not at all, it’s only comparatively recently that cremation has become acceptable in many Christian denominations.
Still, I have not seen anything in the bible even hinting that the condition of your body at death har any impact on your afterlife.

Hans
Old 1st December 2020, 11:52 AM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At least one Pro Trump group is openly saying Trump should overturn the election by force of arms:''
https://www.nbc4i.com/news/politics/...-new-election/

Not surprised at all.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 11:55 AM   #83
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Still, I have not seen anything in the bible even hinting that the condition of your body at death har any impact on your afterlife.

Hans
Christians believe a LOT of stuff that isn't in the Bible.
Old 1st December 2020, 12:00 PM   #84
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Hans
I love one exchange from Deadwood about this. There was a running gag of hiding all the homicides by feeding the victims to Mr. Wu's pigs.

Al Swearengen: I will profane your mortal remains!

E.B. Farnham: Not my remains.

Al Swearengen: Gabriel's trumpet will produce you from the ass of a pig.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 1st December 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:34 PM   #85
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Michigan voter fraud hearing going on now!

Hope everybody is watching @OANN right now. Other media afraid to show. People are coming forward like never before. Large truck carrying hundreds of thousands of fraudulent (FAKE) ballots to a voting center? TERRIBLE - SAVE AMERICA!
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:38 PM   #86
8enotto
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
My theory is that we as a society go through a convoluted series of motions to obscure the fact that we are actually killing people. While I don't condone torture I'm not sure the fact that a given method may hurt is so awful - it is called "punishment" after all. They were never promised euthanasia.

The guillotine would be pretty good I'd think but then you have to wonder if the head is conscious and actually thinking something.

I'm against capital punishment mostly on principle, yet there are federal executions I wouldn't go to the mat to stop. Timothy McVeigh's, for example. But most of the guys on federal death row don't fit that description. No matter how horribly they killed someone, we're still putting to death old men we've kept alive for 40 years just because the political climate changed, and that seems grotesque.
Does one have feelings laying rat poison or stepping on a roach? Then why would one feel much when a sociopath monster is offed, by whatever means.

When my thieving drug addict nephew was offed in a street shooting all most of us really felt was relief we didn't have to deal with him anymore.
When he was jailed we relaxed on home security.

Because the roach is a bug and the other human doesn't mean we want these problems in our lives and homes.
There lies the issue.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:38 PM   #87
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

I'm against capital punishment mostly on principle, yet there are federal executions I wouldn't go to the mat to stop. Timothy McVeigh's, for example. But most of the guys on federal death row don't fit that description. No matter how horribly they killed someone, we're still putting to death old men we've kept alive for 40 years just because the political climate changed, and that seems grotesque.
I feel basically the same way, I'm against it on principle but when I read of someone like Ted Bundy getting executed, I don't lose sleep over it.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:41 PM   #88
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Barr says no evidence of widespread voter fraud
Trump will be pleased with him.

Quote:
Attorney General William Barr said Tuesday the Justice Department has not uncovered evidence of widespread voter fraud that would change the outcome of the 2020 presidential election.

His comments come despite President Donald Trump’s repeated claims that the election was stolen, and his refusal to concede his loss to President-Elect Joe Biden.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Barr said U.S. attorneys and FBI agents have been working to follow up specific complaints and information they’ve received, but they’ve uncovered no evidence that would change the outcome of the election.
https://apnews.com/article/election-...1a9061a6c7f49d
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:48 PM   #89
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I'm morally against capital punishment, but I don't see an issue with firing squad as a method of execution. It would seem to be a quick and painless way of killing someone, more humane than electrocution I would say.
The impact on the peeps in the firing squad maybe a consideration.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:49 PM   #90
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Recent news:

Barr: No evidence of fraud that’d change election outcome

https://apnews.com/article/election-...&utm_medium=AP

Cheeto Benito is not going to like this. Barr was also spotted arriving at the White House within the last hour.

I wonder if the Toddler in Chief is going to fire him now?
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 12:58 PM   #91
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Recent news:

Cheeto Benito is not going to like this. Barr was also spotted arriving at the White House within the last hour.

Fred Flintstone will soon learn the consequences of eliciting the ire of not only the Toddler in Chief, but also that of the toddling trumpkins.

Death threats to follow, no doubt.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 01:01 PM   #92
eerok
Quixoticist

I do think Dominion is an ominous-sounding name for a company that sells election software. It has a totalitarian feel to it. ClearVote or something might be better. Something bland and transparent-sounding.
Dominion is a company that was founded in ... The Dominion of Canada. It's our formal name.
Old 1st December 2020, 01:13 PM   #93
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Dominion is a company that was founded in ... The Dominion of Canada. It's our formal name.
It goes that deep, eh?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 01:30 PM   #94
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Recent news:

Et Tu William?

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 01:33 PM   #95
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
In an interview when Powell was told that Dominion denied being a Venezuelan company she replied "They are splitting hairs".

Tom Lehrer - Folk Song Army
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 01:48 PM   #96
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think it depends on the culture. Some early cultures (Egyptians come in mind) assumed that you needed some form of intact body for the afterlife, so destroying somebody's body deprived them of that, or, perhaps worse, condemned them to eternity in a broken body.

In Christian culture, I must assume that the condition of the corpse is irrelevant for the afterlife, so the various kinds of mutilation, burning, etc. was merely to cause horror and suffering (and, probably, to entertain the masses).

Hans
Yes and no, if it was the case cremation wouldn't have been so strange to the christian world. Bodily resurrection really was a part of christian theology for a long time.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 01:51 PM   #97
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Christians believe a LOT of stuff that isn't in the Bible.
But bodily resurrection is in the bible, see Jesus himself.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 02:06 PM   #98
Axxman300
Philosopher

The real questions are:

Did "THEY" get to Barr, or is Barr been one of "THEM" all along?
Old 1st December 2020, 02:08 PM   #99
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Recent news:

"Even the Faithful William"...

I wonder if Barr moight be the biggest rat yet preparing to leave the sinking ship.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 02:09 PM   #100
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You're Fired!
Old 1st December 2020, 02:34 PM   #101
Garrison
Philosopher

Krebs, Barr, it seems Trump can't even pay people to be loyal to the cause.
Old 1st December 2020, 02:56 PM   #102
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
The impact on the peeps in the firing squad maybe a consideration.
Someone has to carry out executions ultimately. Would the impact of being a rifleman on a firing squad be worse than the person who delivers a lethal injection or pulls the switch on an electric chair or whatever.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:05 PM   #103
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Krebs, Barr, it seems Trump can't even pay people to be loyal to the cause.
I have real problems lumping together Krebs and Barr.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st December 2020, 03:06 PM   #104
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I'm opposed to capital punishment as a rule. But here in Utah, firing squad has always been an option for those sentenced to death, and it has been employed. I'm told, but cannot confirm, that the reason is because Mormon religious teaching says that murder can only be atoned for by shedding the murderer's blood, which does not always literally occur with other modes of execution.

Anyway, in a firing squad, one rifle out of the four or five designated for the job is randomly loaded with a blank, the so-called "conscience round." This gives the rifleman the option to believe that he fired the blank and so did not contribute to the execution of the condemned.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:12 PM   #105
8enotto
Illuminator

Was Barr ( supposedly ) going to provide the smoking gun of massive fraud to the trump camp? It sure seems like he would be the one worth waiting for.

It's good to see these guys step up and do the job the nation paid them for. Even if some seemed toadies to the end it's clear some have hope.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:16 PM   #106
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I'm glad Darat moved this thread to the Conspiracies Theories
section, because I started listening to one of the podcasts listed
here — The Michael Cohen Podcast — and heard this line, "He's
capable of killing the hostages, burning the down the building,
and start shooting outside."

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:19 PM   #107
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Does one have feelings laying rat poison or stepping on a roach? Then why would one feel much when a sociopath monster is offed, by whatever means.

When my thieving drug addict nephew was offed in a street shooting all most of us really felt was relief we didn't have to deal with him anymore.
When he was jailed we relaxed on home security.

Because the roach is a bug and the other human doesn't mean we want these problems in our lives and homes.
There lies the issue.
Oh I get wanting to exterminate people. My concern is not for the sociopath. I don't like what executions do to the rest of society.

Trump and Barr made it a mission to resume federal executions. IMO we did just fine without them. Life without parole is good enough for me.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:23 PM   #108
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yes and no, if it was the case cremation wouldn't have been so strange to the christian world. Bodily resurrection really was a part of christian theology for a long time.
A couple decades ago I was listening to a Catholic radio station, pretty much by accident. They were discussing resurrection. A speaker said, in effect, that on the day of the Second Coming, believers would be physically raised from the dead. Even if cremated. He went on to say, “I don’t need to understand how, I just need to believe.”

I remember this because I mentally weighed it against Carl Sagan’s words: “I don’t want to believe. I want to know”.

Seemed to crystallize two diametrically opposed world views, which is why I remember it.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:32 PM   #109
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
Was Barr ( supposedly ) going to provide the smoking gun of massive fraud to the trump camp? It sure seems like he would be the one worth waiting for.
The U.S. Dept. of Justice and the FBI (i.e., what Barr controls) can only investigate violations of federal law, and there is precious little federal law governing how elections take place within each state. So the fine line that Barr seems to be trying to walk is to say that the investigations he has jurisdiction over have uncovered no evidence to support Pres. Trump's claims. But he also notes that civil action in the states -- which he doesn't have anything to do with -- are where the action is. And also, in my state, voter fraud is a felony, but it's a state-law felony, which would have to be investigated by the state attorney general, not AG Barr.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 03:43 PM   #110
8enotto
Illuminator

Thanks JayUtah. Now it's clear for me.
Old 1st December 2020, 05:00 PM   #111
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I would have also pointed out that the Trump's "landscaping and legal team" doesn't seem to have a problem with Dominion in states where Trump won.
They shouldn't have a problem with it, since, in fact, "Swing-state counties that used Dominion voting machines mostly voted for Trump" (Washington Post via MSN):

Quote:
A review of 10 key states (Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin) finds that Dominion systems were used in 351 of 731 counties. Trump won 283 of those counties, 81 percent of the total. He won 79 percent of the counties that didn’t use Dominion systems...

The idea that Trump only lost, say, Pennsylvania, because of Dominion voting systems has to reconcile with the fact that Trump actually won more votes in counties that used Dominion systems (beating Biden by about 74,000 votes in those counties) but lost the state because he was beaten by 154,000 votes in non-Dominion counties. That same pattern holds in Wisconsin as well.

In other words, there’s nothing to suggest that counties using Dominion systems looked significantly different from counties that didn’t. The idea that Biden is president-elect because of some nefarious calculations simply doesn’t match the reality of the county-level vote results.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 05:27 PM   #112
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

RedState
@RedState
Watch: James O'Keefe Calls Into CNN's Morning Conference Call, Tells Startled Jeff Zucker He's Going to Release Two Months of Calls Tonight; Then LOL

Sara A. Carter
@SaraCarterDC
@JamesOKeefeIII: We're going to release 'hundreds of hours of CNN' calls 7 pm ET Tonight.
Do any of you want to take a guess at what CNN President Jeff Zucker told his employees on those calls?

Gregg Jarrett
@GreggJarrett
SURPRISE! James O’Keefe pops into CNN staff call, tells Jeff Zucker he’s been recording calls for months

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
James O’Keefe strikes again, CNN’s Zucker exposed with recorded phone calls. James will be on my radio show at 7:20 PM eastern.

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 1st December 2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 1st December 2020, 05:43 PM   #113
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
"Even the Faithful William"...

I wonder if Barr moight be the biggest rat yet preparing to leave the sinking ship.
Very unlikely, given Barr. Also, as JayUtah just said, Barr doesn't actually have much that he even can do on the subject. With that said, Barr's specialty, really, has been killing investigations and generally impeding justice being done, much like fairly certainly happened with Iran-Contra. That's just not as applicable here.
Old 1st December 2020, 05:54 PM   #114
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Retweeted

RedState
@RedState
Watch: James O'Keefe Calls Into CNN's Morning Conference Call, Tells Startled Jeff Zucker He's Going to Release Two Months of Calls Tonight; Then LOL

Sara A. Carter
@SaraCarterDC
@JamesOKeefeIII: We're going to release 'hundreds of hours of CNN' calls 7 pm ET Tonight.
Do any of you want to take a guess at what CNN President Jeff Zucker told his employees on those calls?

Gregg Jarrett
@GreggJarrett
SURPRISE! James O’Keefe pops into CNN staff call, tells Jeff Zucker he’s been recording calls for months

Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
James O’Keefe strikes again, CNN’s Zucker exposed with recorded phone calls. James will be on my radio show at 7:20 PM eastern.
I listened to one bit. There was nothing there.

CNN Zucker tells a reporter/anchor? that it's right to limit coverage of Trump's refusal to concede.

Well yeah!

Is O'Keefe complaining CNN isn't Fox-like?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 06:07 PM   #115
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently Sidney Powell filed a lawsuit that included Derrick Van Orden, without his permission to do so. That will get you disbarred.
Old 1st December 2020, 06:09 PM   #116
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
They shouldn't have a problem with it, since, in fact, "Swing-state counties that used Dominion voting machines mostly voted for Trump" (Washington Post via MSN):
What a country.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 06:10 PM   #117
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Apparently Sidney Powell filed a lawsuit that included Derrick Van Orden, without his permission to do so. That will get you disbarred.
In a sane Republic. That's an important distinction.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 06:17 PM   #118
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Here is the tweet and link.

Derrick van orden
"I learned through social media today that my name was included in a lawsuit without my permission. To be clear I am not involved in the lawsuit seeking to overturn the election in Wisconsin"
https://www.google.com/search?q=derr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 07:25 PM   #119
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"WHERE IS MY ROY COHN !!!!"

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 07:27 PM   #120
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

I love that a Trump thread has been relegated to conspiracy theories. It just feels like an example of how he's becoming less and less relevant.

(I know the accusations of election fraud are a conspiracy theory, and of course I also support the move for that reason )
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories