IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Rust" , alec baldwin , gun incidents

Old 23rd August 2022, 05:38 AM   #281
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm still not getting what you need a blank for. You just need some sound and smoke. A goddamn cap gun can do that. A gunshot sounds like easiest thing in the world to foley over.

The whole "modifying bullets" way of making a prop round sounds like... not just dangerous but overly complicated for no real reason.
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:09 AM   #282
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm still not getting what you need a blank for. You just need some sound and smoke. A goddamn cap gun can do that. A gunshot sounds like easiest thing in the world to foley over.

The whole "modifying bullets" way of making a prop round sounds like... not just dangerous but overly complicated for no real reason.
This, a thousand times this.
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:02 AM   #283
erwinl
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
As I said before, the easy way is too have all dumby rounds marked with green plastic instead of a primer cap, and all blanks used on set marked with a red Primer. Hollywood being cheap causes these accidents.
Or to have no real firearms on the set.
The use of rubber 'weapons' for everything other than the 'hero prop' is already established widely in the movie industry.
Having hero props, which look and move like the real thing is trivially easy to make, such that they are incapable of firing real ammunition. Might cost a bit upfront in the making, but these can be offset by not needing to have a fire arm insurance (or something like that) for the production company.

Movie making is all about make believe. Movie money, telephone numbers and the like are all fake. There's no reason, why real firearms should ever be on the set.
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:19 AM   #284
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There is even a whole industry that makes authentic-looking replicas that fire plastic pellets via compressed air. Between Airsoft props, foley, and adding muzzle flashes in post, there's probably no need for anything like a real gun anywhere near a movie set.

Certainly not for a reason as silly as "I can't act authentically in this scene without feeling the real weight of a real gun with real bullets in it."
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:47 PM   #285
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Recoil.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:33 PM   #286
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Recoil.
Or actors could, you know, act.
Old 24th August 2022, 05:49 AM   #287
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Or actors could, you know, act.
The recoil never looks right from Jerking Mussles, it looks faked because it is faked.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 06:02 AM   #288
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

but blanks don't have recoil.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:20 AM   #289
erwinl
Illuminator

Recoil.
Is that why they used all those rubber firearms in various movies?

Besides. It is also possible to make something of a sliding mass inside the prop, so it can better fake recoil. Better at least than a letting the actor fake recoil with a squib load or something like that. And safer. Much safer.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:32 AM   #290
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

A wadded blank has little recoil but it still has some, a crimped blank has almost no recoil.
Old 24th August 2022, 06:33 AM   #291
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A wadded blank has little recoil but it still has some, a crimped blank has almost no recoil.
Yeah so... the whole "But they need recoil to act" thing sorta fails.
Old 24th August 2022, 07:19 AM   #292
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Shhhhhh. We’re having some alone time with the revolvers today.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 07:28 AM   #293
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well okay I can see a valid point here. For a certain kind of verisimilitude. But if a director believes he has shots that need that verisimilitude, there are facsimile firearms that can do the trick, without being functional firearms capable of firing real bullets. Or if not, there should be.

And if you can't get your hands on one of those, then it's absolutely on you to make sure the real gun you're "forced" to use is properly safed. Even if you're just a big dumb actor who can't find the trigger if your finger is taped to it, you can always ask, "where's the armorer?" And if you're too dumb even for that, there's always the Director, the Producer, and the goddamn Director of Photography who's standing right in front of you while you wave a gun around, who can ask, "where's the armorer?
Old 24th August 2022, 07:45 AM   #294
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again some of the most dynamic gun battles of all time have been filmed without so much as anything resembling a real gun or real round on set.

If Robert Rodriguez can make Once Upon a Time in Mexico, essentially a movie long shootout, almost 20 years ago on a budget of less than 30 million and make the gunplay look THAT good without using a single blank or modified weapon I don't know what problem we are possibly trying to solve.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:40 AM   #295
Axxman300
Philosopher

It comes down to budget, and time.

Rubber guns are preferred because they'll come in under $10 to produce (molding, casting, & painting). Often, pop-houses stockpile rubber guns. They are always the best option based on production costs alone, especially in a movie with a lot of gun-carrying extras, and cast (cop, action, and war movies). You don't have to babysit them, you don't have to secure them, and they lower your insurance rate.

Real guns and modified guns come in second because they can be rented, and the expense is still cheaper than CGI (for now), and cuts down post-production time. Real guns have been used safely on movie sets for just over a century, something that cannot be said of automobiles, motorcycles, or helicopters, which no one is demanding the end of their use in movies.

We just coming up on the 40th anniversary of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre where the same principles were in play. Real chainsaws were used along with modified, and dummy chainsaws to create realistic on-screen action. No one was hurt because safety came first, and the movie's budget was under $140,000.
Old 24th August 2022, 11:52 AM   #296
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Dangerous activities require professionals who have a deep respect for that danger.

This set seems to have run off those professionals.

Personal anecdote that is only tangentially related:
I used to teach a short rock climbing course to groups of scouts. We’d do a demo and go over safety rules and procedures. We’d get each kid to climb to the top of a rock face and rappel back down. We would do anywhere from two to eight groups a day with the groups averaging around 12 kids and two adults. We instructed every single one of them in proper procedure and then promptly trusted them to not follow said procedure.

We were in charge of their safety the entire time, but they felt in control. The danger of a fall from 30 feet onto boulders is real. The helmet wouldn’t help much if they fell. And yet, a small band of climber ranging from 18-22 were able to keep all these kids from falling to their death.

Like all dangerous activities it is all about the process. The climb doesn’t start until the harness is checked at the bottom. The kid doesn’t get off the line at the top until they are clicked into a safety tether. The safety tether isn’t removed until they are on the rap line. The rap doesn’t start until the bottom person has the rap line in hand. (Little known fact, if you have a bottom person you don’t need to double rope when rappelling with a figure eight or similar descender. The bottom can stop everything with a gentle tug. Nice, right?) As all of this is happening we are talking the participants through as if they are totally in control. Constant communication and teaching them climbing terminology and etiquette. Minus the fat shaming.

The whole time the kid thinks they are living life on the edge of death when the realty is that they are safer up top than they are waiting for their friends to get done climbing.

That is how dangerous things are made safe. Process that removes dangerous choices from the participants. If a participant dies in that situation by diving off the edge of the cliff while untethered, then yeah the participant caused it, but the professionals are at fault too for allowing that to even be possible.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:06 PM   #297
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Even more tangentially related: My dad recently discovered that flying an airplane is a lot less fun than he thought it would be. Turns out the whole thing is an extended exercise in checklist management.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:12 PM   #298
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

The recoil never looks right from Jerking Mussles, it looks faked because it is faked.
What do shellfish have to do with firearms?
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:17 PM   #299
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
“Recoil”, I believe. For realism.
Old 25th August 2022, 04:04 AM   #300
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
What, you've never heard of a Glock Lobster?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 06:38 AM   #301
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
What, you've never heard of a Glock Lobster?
Great song by the B-Fishie Twos.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2022, 09:16 AM   #302
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Baldwin and Hutchins' family have reached a settlement in the civil case (subject to court approval).

The part I really wasn't expecting is that:
Quote:
the movie will resume filming in January
Not only that, but:
Quote:
Matthew Hutchins, Halyna’s widower, will be an executive producer and receive a portion of the profits
Old 5th October 2022, 09:40 AM   #303
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sold his soul for a mess of pottage, that one.
Old 5th October 2022, 09:46 AM   #304
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sold his soul for a mess of pottage, that one.
Or for their kid's trust fund, more charitably.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2022, 12:36 PM   #305
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm guessing that armorer doesn't qualify as "principal player" in this context and the former one probably won't be part of the crew in January. But it also sounds like they are trying to shield her/argue against criminal charges.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 5th October 2022 at 12:37 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2022, 12:40 PM   #306
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Or for their kid's trust fund, more charitably.
I doubt this movie is going to see a single penny of profits.
Old 6th October 2022, 04:51 AM   #307
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I doubt this movie is going to see a single penny of profits.
I suspect not . But you never know... The shooting provided some free publicity and some people might choose to see it out of morbid curiosity.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 04:33 PM   #308
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I suspect not . But you never know... The shooting provided some free publicity and some people might choose to see it out of morbid curiosity.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
With American oaters usually being either conservative or comedies (and I haven't seen any hint of this one being a comedy), and Alec's recent notoriety revolving around his sketches as Trump... I wonder what the thinking was in the casting sessions.

Or was it all him from the jump... buying the property and forming a production company?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 6th October 2022 at 04:36 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2022, 05:28 PM   #309
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
With American oaters usually being either conservative or comedies (and I haven't seen any hint of this one being a comedy), and Alec's recent notoriety revolving around his sketches as Trump... I wonder what the thinking was in the casting sessions.

Or was it all him from the jump... buying the property and forming a production company?
In this thread or the other (SI&CE) it was mentioned in a posted article that this was/is a 'pet project' for Baldwin, so, yes, it's all him from the jump, as it were.
Old 6th October 2022, 05:49 PM   #310
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure why we wouldn't expect this movie to make some profit. It's really low budget. A third of it's budget has already been covered by distribution deals. And the cost of hiring a proper armorer and crew wouldn't come anywhere near breaking the budget.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2022, 09:18 AM   #311
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Not sure why we wouldn't expect this movie to make some profit. It's really low budget. A third of it's budget has already been covered by distribution deals. And the cost of hiring a proper armorer and crew wouldn't come anywhere near breaking the budget.
And, as Phineas T. Barnum once observed, "There is no such thing as bad publicity".
Old 16th February 2023, 08:04 PM   #312
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Because at least on the standard of his actions he did nothing wrong in his handling of the gun. Do you blame the pilots for the crashes of the Boeing 737s?
Care to revise this statement?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 16th February 2023 at 08:11 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2023, 05:25 PM   #313
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Care to revise this statement?
Charges dropped gun was Modified, he didn't even know.
Old 20th April 2023, 06:31 PM   #314
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-dr...ry?id=98734243
Quote:
Charges against Alec Baldwin have been dropped in the fatal on-set "Rust" shooting, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The Santa Fe district attorney's office declined to comment.
So much for owning all of the bullets you shoot.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2023, 11:28 AM   #315
catsmate
No longer the 1

There is a stench of desperation from the prosecutors' office.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2023, 11:53 AM   #316
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
If the gun was modified dirty sand could have contaminated the trigger system and caused this whole accident, you won't get a conviction with that type of doubt.
Old 21st April 2023, 12:17 PM   #317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I agree the manslaughter charge was ridiclous, but, since this whole film has been Baldwin's Baby from day one, I think he bears responsbilty for the incredibly unsafe procedures on the set which led to the shooting. He hired the cheapest help he could get, and disaster followed.
But of course he is a Liberal and has said nasty things abour Trump. so that should make him above the law.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2023, 04:03 PM   #318
Axxman300
Philosopher

I think the DA looked at a situation that was a cluster-****, full of incompetent people in key positions. One option would be to charge them all, but it would be hard to convict in front of a jury as it would become clear these people are self-absorbed morons, and D-list movie people.

This is a much better civil case, as already demonstrated.

The fact that they're going to finish the movie tells you how thoughtless the production team truly is.

Oh, and the DA was staring down Hollywood lawyers, the AK-47 of the legal world. Look up the case surrounding a death during the filming of The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing. Didn't happen on set, but the rumors surrounding this story will keep Hollywood gossip types busy.
Old 21st April 2023, 08:11 PM   #319
Joe Random
Illuminator

If the gun was modified dirty sand could have contaminated the trigger system and caused this whole accident, you won't get a conviction with that type of doubt.
Do you have any evidence at all that anything like that happened or are you just throwing **** against the wall ? Or do you just enjoy coming up with fantasies ?

If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon, and all that. FFS.

Last edited by Joe Random; 21st April 2023 at 08:15 PM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2023, 04:55 AM   #320
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Do you have any evidence at all that anything like that happened or are you just throwing **** against the wall ? Or do you just enjoy coming up with fantasies ?

If my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon, and all that. FFS.
The DA, stated the gun was modified that's the new evidence and dirt or sand interference in the mechanisms function could have been shaken out by the bullets recoil.

http://ymcinema.com/2023/04/21/alec-...a-new-trigger/

Last edited by Crazy Chainsaw; 22nd April 2023 at 05:00 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories