IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th June 2022, 05:04 PM   #41
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
How I wish a REAL Trumpher, an honest & inyerface Donnie's Boy, would show up here!

It would.be fun for 15 minutes.
I deal with one daily, he can't accept Trump is not a Genius.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2022, 02:27 PM   #42
Axxman300
Philosopher

I need to point out that this topic is the exact Woo-Point where CTs merge with paranormal (UFOs, Bigfoot, Ghosts) belief. Look at the shared claims:

1. Out of context video.

2. Statements from unnamed, unidentified "government" sources which can not be verified in any way.

3. Unsourced follow-on stories (ballots being dumped/added by persons unknown in the dead of night).

4. Serious goal-post moving.

5. Technical claims which are not backed up by independent professionals with the relative technical knowledge. (Voted added by thumbdrive, but no forensic evidence logged that this happened. Same thing as the claim that science knows the truth behind: aliens, psychics, *insert your woo-phenomenon here*, but is sworn to secrecy because reasons).

6. Ignoring the facts, and building a mini-cult around a fantasy. Anyone questioning the reality of the fantasy is either a sheep, or "working for them".

As a reformed CTist, all I ask is for a quality CT that will make me work, and stimulate me intellectually. Not this chimpanzee with a keyboard stuff.
Old 17th June 2022, 01:26 AM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I need to point out that this topic is the exact Woo-Point where CTs merge with paranormal (UFOs, Bigfoot, Ghosts) belief. Look at the shared claims:

1. Out of context video.

2. Statements from unnamed, unidentified "government" sources which can not be verified in any way.

3. Unsourced follow-on stories (ballots being dumped/added by persons unknown in the dead of night).

4. Serious goal-post moving.

5. Technical claims which are not backed up by independent professionals with the relative technical knowledge. (Voted added by thumbdrive, but no forensic evidence logged that this happened. Same thing as the claim that science knows the truth behind: aliens, psychics, *insert your woo-phenomenon here*, but is sworn to secrecy because reasons).

6. Ignoring the facts, and building a mini-cult around a fantasy. Anyone questioning the reality of the fantasy is either a sheep, or "working for them".

As a reformed CTist, all I ask is for a quality CT that will make me work, and stimulate me intellectually. Not this chimpanzee with a keyboard stuff.
Well they certainly cross off a lot of the same squares on the bingo card!!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 01:28 AM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Still seeing clothes on the naked Emperor huh?

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 01:55 AM   #45
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

You are into Oxymoron Land there...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 01:58 AM   #46
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The mind tries to protect itself from true horror, like a naked Trump.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 04:10 AM   #47
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The mind tries to protect itself from true horror, like a naked Trump.
I apologise profusely for exposing you to a visualisation, the horror of which there would be no escape from.

Old 17th June 2022, 07:34 AM   #48
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Does he also admire Trump's trim, muscular physique?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 07:53 AM   #49
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Does he also admire Trump's trim, muscular physique?
Hey, man, pictures don't lie!
Old 17th June 2022, 11:19 AM   #50
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
You are into Oxymoron Land there...
Let give you an example of a decent CT: The Son of Sam Murders.

David Berkowitz shot eight people over the course of a year between 1976 and 1977. He confessed, and is serving life in prison.

...But...

Did he act alone in every killing? Answering that question opens up a murky world of mid-1970s NYC, in post-Vietnam, post-Nixon America. Berkowitz was a loser, who drifted into a weird crowd, at a time where a lot of weird things went on.

I don't think Berkowitz was working on behalf of a cult. But an honest look into the case will leave you scratching your head a lot. This is an example of a quality CT that can grab your imagination, no matter how skeptical, and challenge your beliefs on some level. In the end, he was the shooter. There's no doubt, but the larger Son of Sam CT is wild ride.

Netfilx has a great documentary on this topic. The trailer is a bait and switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFZ1wS8Fuc

This series starts out as a look into the CT, but evolves into the story of one reporter's obsession with the case, and the destruction of his life, and credibility due to his relentless pursuit of "the truth".

And that's what I mean by asking for a quality CT.
Old 17th June 2022, 02:06 PM   #51
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What, there were boxes of ballots, and tables!!!????? And they were in a place where ballots were being COUNTED!!!!!?????? Oh no. That either means there was massive fraud or this is the dumbest ******* argument in the history of American politics.
It's up there with paying a con-artist millions to look for bamboo fibers in the ballot paper.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 02:13 PM   #52
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Let give you an example of a decent CT: The Son of Sam Murders.

David Berkowitz shot eight people over the course of a year between 1976 and 1977. He confessed, and is serving life in prison.

...But...

Did he act alone in every killing? Answering that question opens up a murky world of mid-1970s NYC, in post-Vietnam, post-Nixon America. Berkowitz was a loser, who drifted into a weird crowd, at a time where a lot of weird things went on.

I don't think Berkowitz was working on behalf of a cult. But an honest look into the case will leave you scratching your head a lot. This is an example of a quality CT that can grab your imagination, no matter how skeptical, and challenge your beliefs on some level. In the end, he was the shooter. There's no doubt, but the larger Son of Sam CT is wild ride.

Netfilx has a great documentary on this topic. The trailer is a bait and switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICFZ1wS8Fuc

This series starts out as a look into the CT, but evolves into the story of one reporter's obsession with the case, and the destruction of his life, and credibility due to his relentless pursuit of "the truth".

And that's what I mean by asking for a quality CT.
Bait and switch is fine. Who wants another Roger Stone movie documentary about the real JFK murder?

It looks like a good movie.

Wonder how long it will take to get our first Great Steal of 2020 movie?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th June 2022 at 02:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 02:34 PM   #53
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Until someone sufficiently competent to point a camera at some actors believes the election was stolen. So possibly never.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 03:09 PM   #54
ahhell
Philosopher

One more for, "evidence?"

How come they've totally ignored the Martian involvement?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2022, 04:37 PM   #55
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bait and switch is fine. Who wants another Roger Stone movie documentary about the real JFK murder?

It looks like a good movie.

It's a really solid series. What I mean by bait and switch is that the story is really about Maury Terry, a reporter who became obsessed with the case, destroying his life in the process. Paul Giamotti narrates Terry's diaries. It is a top-drawer documentary, and character profile. Terry's mian problem was his lack of a BS filter, which led him to follow every lead that came his way. At some point he lost sight of the crimes, and the basic facts as he sank deeper into the fog of CT.
Old 17th June 2022, 07:45 PM   #56
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's a really solid series. What I mean by bait and switch is that the story is really about Maury Terry, a reporter who became obsessed with the case, destroying his life in the process. Paul Giamotti narrates Terry's diaries. It is a top-drawer documentary, and character profile. Terry's mian problem was his lack of a BS filter, which led him to follow every lead that came his way. At some point he lost sight of the crimes, and the basic facts as he sank deeper into the fog of CT.
I knew what you meant.
Old 18th June 2022, 12:37 AM   #57
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

exactly.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 12:42 AM   #58
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't the OP going to come back and try to defend his treason and betrayal of his nation some more?

Last edited by Craig4; 18th June 2022 at 02:03 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2022, 04:49 AM   #59
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Isn't the OP going to come back and try to defend his treason and betrayal of his nation some more?

Is the Pope a Mormon?

Old 20th June 2022, 08:29 AM   #60
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

One if the claims I found amusing was Trump's "Detroit Big Vote Dump" claim, where he claimed that witnesses reported seeing "truck loads and van loads of ballots delivered to the counting station at all hours of the night".

Barr put that to bed by pointing out that Detroit has 635 precincts, but all the votes were counted at ONE counting station. This would necessitate physically transporting the ballots to the counting station... so what you would expect to see? Well, "truck loads and van loads of ballots delivered to the counting station at all hours of the night", of course
But that suggests they were actually counting the black votes, you can't do that!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2022, 02:11 AM   #61
The Common Potato
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
People who think 2000 Mules is a documentary have the same level of intelligence as those who think War of the Worlds is a documentary.
Ridiculous. 2000 Mules is a song by the Proclaimers.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2022, 09:10 PM   #62
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Post BS OP, run... saves time and effort as one searches fro the next {} of woo

Originally Posted by mikegriffith1 View Post
Since Pelosi made sure that nobody who questions the election was included on the committee, there's no one to contradict the "Big Lie" propaganda show that the committee is putting on.
was this a joke post... oops, posting history says no

Did you fail to return and post due to looking for evidence on the Golf Course with OJ? The infinite search for the null set, {}

Got any evidence to support the "Tangerine Palpatine's" delusional claims on this issue? NO
Old 17th October 2022, 05:33 AM   #63
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
was this a joke post... oops, posting history says no

Did you fail to return and post due to looking for evidence on the Golf Course with OJ? The infinite search for the null set, {}

Got any evidence to support the "Tangerine Palpatine's" delusional claims on this issue? NO

Comparing Trump to Palpatine (or Hitler for that matter) is giving Trump way too much credit. If he really worked at it, he could possibly rise (sink) to the level of a second-rate third-world dictator.
Old 17th October 2022, 11:25 AM   #64
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again like all Proudly Wrong people living in a post-fact world Conspiracy Theorist HAVE to really push hard the idea that not letting them be wrong or that any system which doesn't give equal time to provably wrong things is some kind of "bias" despite how absurd that is.

They have perverted the entire concept of what knowledge is and how we obtain it, to the point they have become the intellectual (and hell social and legal equivalents) of a someone complaining that there were no Nazis on juries at the Nuremberg trials, ergo they were biased.

"A base level of knowing about what the **** you are talking about and not being intentionally wrong in a way that is indistinguishable from lying" isn't an unfair advantage we need to be shamed into feeling bad about using to get ahead in discussion.

YOUR OPINION BEING DISMISSED AS WRONG DOESN'T MAKE YOU A VICTIM.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th October 2022 at 11:27 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2022, 08:57 PM   #65
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
Comparing Trump to Palpatine (or Hitler for that matter) is giving Trump way too much credit. If he really worked at it, he could possibly rise (sink) to the level of a second-rate third-world dictator.
Hitler actually makes for a disturbingly close comparison, though, at last check. Both likely had/have NPD and were widely mocked around the world (with both good cause and similar causes), their tactics and the ways they ran the country were far too similar, the direction they led the country in was similar... one could easily go much further, but we should probably be clear that Hitler was a far, far lesser man than many tend to assume.
Old 18th October 2022, 12:34 PM   #66
Axxman300
Philosopher

Hitler, was a decorated war veteran. He liked dogs. Was a clever administrator and instigator. And the Holocaust burns him into history as the real thing, as far as dictators go. In the end he shot himself.

And he never bankrupted a casino.

Trump was, is, and always will be a hack.

On paper, Hitler is a more competent human being than Trump in every way. And this fact underlines just how sad it is that he was elected President.
Old 20th October 2022, 11:05 AM   #67
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

On paper, Hitler is a more competent human being than Trump in every way. And this fact underlines just how sad it is that he was elected President.

I've started reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, and while there are some disturbing commonalities between them, one thing Hitler had over Trump (at least in the 1920s and early 30s), is an ability to learn from his mistakes. Hitler lost that at some point after he became undisputed ruler of Germany, but in the early days, he did change things up quite a lot when he realized his early plans for an armed uprising to take over the government simply weren't going to work.

Trump just keeps on trotting out the same old, already-failed arguments.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories