IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th August 2022, 02:37 PM   #1
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Gorbachev

Just thinking, what if they (in a change of tradition*) announced his death in advance, so as to avoid conflict with the 25th anniversary of Diana's passing?

* - For the younger people here, the death of a Soviet-era leader was not necessarily made public for days weeks months some time.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 30th August 2022 at 02:38 PM.
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 03:24 AM   #2
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The fall of the Soviet Union was 1991 and Gorbachev when he died was...91.

<sfx theme from the Twilight Zone>

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 10:45 AM   #3
bknight
Master Poster

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
Just thinking, what if they (in a change of tradition*) announced his death in advance, so as to avoid conflict with the 25th anniversary of Diana's passing?

* - For the younger people here, the death of a Soviet-era leader was not necessarily made public for days weeks months some time.
What would be the purpose of a delay? What benefit would be provided by anyone? Nonsense.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2022, 10:49 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I guess maybe clg is imagining a world where Gorbachev's death has some sort of major propaganda or PR potential for the Putin regime, and they would want to avoid having the news be overshadowed by the expected wall-to-wall international news coverage of memorials for Princess Diana.
Old 1st September 2022, 06:48 AM   #5
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Damn, I have failed. I should have posted this in the Humour subforum.
Old 3rd September 2022, 03:58 PM   #6
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Ah. I must confess, I saw the title and came here thinking there actually were CTs about Gorbachev's death. Nothing would surprise me any more, is all I'm saying.
Old 6th September 2022, 11:08 AM   #7
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Ah. I must confess, I saw the title and came here thinking there actually were CTs about Gorbachev's death. Nothing would surprise me any more, is all I'm saying.
He was one of the shooters of JFK. I know, hard to believe isn't it?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2022, 08:15 PM   #8
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Dying so young, I'm surprised there aren't.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories