IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:45 AM   #1
Hans
Philosopher

Question on the theory of bases on Mars?

When did this conspiracy first begin?

That the USA or 'earth' had bases on Mars?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 11:44 AM   #2
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So, we didn't land on the moon, but built a base on Mars.

Those NASA dudes are cunning af.
Old 28th November 2022, 01:27 PM   #3
ahhell
Philosopher

This is new to me but it probably started shortly after the face/pyramids on mars stuff from the viking missions.

The internet says it started in 2014 with a random caller to Art Bell's show claiming to have witnessed footage of an astronaut on mars.

ETA, you've got to love Richard Hoagland. Among other things, he claims pairdolia isn't a real thing. I'm not sure how he explains kids looking for shapes in the clouds.

Last edited by ahhell; 28th November 2022 at 01:28 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 01:40 PM   #4
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Soon Solomon Epstein will develop his new drive and they'll declare independence from earth and form the Martian Congressional Republic, ushering in about a century of cold war between the Inyalowda. Not that that will stop both sides from exploiting the Beltalowda.

Pinché inners!
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 06:59 PM   #5
Axxman300
Philosopher

I think this one was floated in the mid-1980s. Probably gained momentum thanks to a caller into Art Bell.
Old 28th November 2022, 09:48 PM   #6
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I think this one was floated in the mid-1980s. Probably gained momentum thanks to a caller into Art Bell.
I see, I'm trying to get some idea how old the CTis. I suspect somewhere someone had kept track or studied this.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:10 PM   #7
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Wasn't H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" basically about Mars bases? Not human bases but Martian ones. Late 1800's / early 1900's?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2022, 10:12 PM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

there is a base.
it grows potatoes.
I saw it in a documentary.
Old 28th November 2022, 11:55 PM   #9
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wasn't H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" basically about Mars bases? Not human bases but Martian ones. Late 1800's / early 1900's?
Yeah bur the chances of anything coming from Mars...

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 04:11 AM   #10
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This is new to me but it probably started shortly after the face/pyramids on mars stuff from the viking missions.

The internet says it started in 2014 with a random caller to Art Bell's show claiming to have witnessed footage of an astronaut on mars.

ETA, you've got to love Richard Hoagland. Among other things, he claims pairdolia isn't a real thing. I'm not sure how he explains kids looking for shapes in the clouds.
There really was a giant gorilla in our toilet door when I was a kid?

And that really is a giant head on Nea Kameni in the Santorini caldera?

No wonder I turned out like I did...

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 29th November 2022 at 04:15 AM.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 04:12 AM   #11
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by threadworm View Post
Yeah bur the chances of anything coming from Mars...
Are about the same as hitting a dragon in the voonerables with an arrow?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 04:30 AM   #12
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Aah Hoaxland, still around milking money from the stupid.

Naturally he's been all over Artemis, claiming the live feeds prove his claims that there are massive artificial structures on the lunar side.

https://www.theothersideofmidnight.c...ancient-domes/

The evidence for this being..erm...

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 04:33 AM   #13
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Naturally he's been all over Artemis, claiming the live feeds prove his claims that there are massive artificial structures on the lunar side.

...strong and repeated hallucinogenic drugs??
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 06:21 AM   #14
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Soon Solomon Epstein will develop his new drive and they'll declare independence from earth and form the Martian Congressional Republic, ushering in about a century of cold war between the Inyalowda. Not that that will stop both sides from exploiting the Beltalowda.

Pinché inners!
sa sa, beratna!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 09:48 AM   #15
bknight
Master Poster

There are grifters everywhere preying on the stupid that believe we are not alone and will pay for speeches to that effect. Rather like Marcus Allen and his Moon Hoax seminars attract individuals who want to believe Apollo was fake and pay for his presentations.
You can't cure STUPID.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 09:55 AM   #16
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

All your base are belong to us.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 10:53 AM   #17
ahhell
Philosopher

Having listened to a lot of Art Bell back in the day(I was a night security guard), Hoagland is definitely a grifter, I still think he probably drank his own kool aid.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 11:59 AM   #18
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I see, I'm trying to get some idea how old the CTis. I suspect somewhere someone had kept track or studied this.
That Israeli space security guy claimed there was on back in 2020:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/12/ma...t-further.html

Here's a story from 2011:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna43299687

I recall the subject came up at a meeting of our local UFO Discussion Group (before I was kicked out). Ironically, nobody believed it. This was 1997. I think it started around the same time as the Chem-Trail thing.
Old 29th November 2022, 01:18 PM   #19
gmanontario
Muse

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Having listened to a lot of Art Bell back in the day(I was a night security guard), Hoagland is definitely a grifter, I still think he probably drank his own kool aid.
Back in university I was a night cleaner for a big restaurant. It was always a battle for the radio playing either Art Bell or Dr. Demento.

It was hard to tell who was funnier but Art made me think. Think about how dumb people can be that is.
gmanontario is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2022, 01:46 PM   #20
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gmanontario View Post
Back in university I was a night cleaner for a big restaurant. It was always a battle for the radio playing either Art Bell or Dr. Demento.

It was hard to tell who was funnier but Art made me think. Think about how dumb people can be that is.
There were couple of times the guest would say something so clearly self evidently wrong that I just couldn't imagine anyone buying anything they had to say. The time Hoagland just dismissed paradoila was one. Every living human has experienced it, anyone listening should have immediately gone, "wait, what?" He even explained what it was before claiming it was just made up. Seriously, does hoagland actually think that's Jesus in the toast and fluffy bunnies in the sky?

The other was a guest talking about the evils of flouride and as an aside casually referenced, "the debunked germ theory of disease". If Art even noticed, he didn't miss a beat.

Last edited by ahhell; 29th November 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 29th November 2022, 02:38 PM   #21
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
That Israeli space security guy claimed there was on back in 2020:

https://slate.com/culture/2020/12/ma...t-further.html

Here's a story from 2011:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna43299687

I recall the subject came up at a meeting of our local UFO Discussion Group (before I was kicked out). Ironically, nobody believed it. This was 1997. I think it started around the same time as the Chem-Trail thing.
Yep the chem-trail thing was often right there along with the mars base stuff. '97 sounds about right and for me it would often come up when looking at discussions about Tesla and the Philadelphia experiment. One of my coworkers here was always looking at a site I think called...(just a word of caution our work web policies, now, won't permit access to that site)

educateyourself.org

Which has just about every CT you could ever imagine as if it were gospel.
Old 30th November 2022, 09:23 AM   #22
Hans
Philosopher

Ah so a general agreement for 97 - or so?
Old 30th November 2022, 04:49 PM   #23
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Ah so a general agreement for 97 - or so?
I can live with that. Can't find any mentions dating back earlier.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories