IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conspiracy

Old 17th January 2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

The 'Velma' Conspiracies

It seems that conspiracist thinking can be applied anywhere, in this case the newly launched 'Adult Scooby Doo' series created by HBO has generated some really bad reviews (& not just from 'the usual suspects'.) which in turn has spawned claims that the whole thing is a 'psy-op' designed to make 'social justice' look bad.

There's a good article on Forbes discussing the claims:

Quote:

Yesterday, HBO Max bragged that Velma, the new adult-rated Scooby Doo cartoon, was its most-viewed animated premiere ever. I’m not sure precisely what that says, given that the only other Max original animated series I can even think of is Harley Quinn, plus a bunch of other older series that WB Discovery recently murdered.

But people are certainly talking about Velma, that much is true. Just…not very positively.

Velma is so bad in fact, that it’s spawning conspiracy theories that creator Mindy Kaling made what is essentially a parody of what the right wing thinks left wing comedy is like.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=2a7b2bae12e2

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2023, 02:50 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

From what I can tell, the conspiracy theories are a perfect example of Poe's law in action.
Old 17th January 2023, 03:49 PM   #3
lobosrul5
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
It seems that conspiracist thinking can be applied anywhere, in this case the newly launched 'Adult Scooby Doo' series created by HBO has generated some really bad reviews (& not just from 'the usual suspects'.) which in turn has spawned claims that the whole thing is a 'psy-op' designed to make 'social justice' look bad.

Apparently Warner Bros... HBO.. Discovery... whatever the **** they are now is actually bragging about its ratings. But it might just be that people are tuning in to see just how bad it is, sort of like rubbernecking to see a car wreck. Or... looking at imdb... the show is tagged with "female full frontal nudity". So theres that too.

I let my HBO Max sub expire after House of the Dragon ended, so I can't watch. I'll probably renew when season 2 is back. I would have kept a year sub but HBO is doing this **** where they feel as though they can randomly remove original programming. I was about to watch Westworld when it *poof* went away. So, no way am I keeping a sub all the time.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 17th January 2023 at 03:52 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2023, 10:09 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What's your opinion?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2023, 05:50 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And they could have gotten away with if it had not be for that dog and those intefering kids!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2023, 05:59 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

So what's more plausible? Mindy Kaling is a crypto-fascist, trying to make progressives look bad? Or Mindy Kaling really believes she's the new Bob Smigel?
Old 22nd January 2023, 07:34 AM   #7
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What's your opinion?

On the series, I've not watched 'Velma', so I'm going to reserve judgement. But if you want a good Scooby Doo parody, try out 'Those Meddling Kids' it's a good read and it did make me smile.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 07:36 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

On the series, I've not watched 'Velma', so I'm going to reserve judgement. But if you want a good Scooby Doo parody, try out 'Those Meddling Kids' it's a good read and it did make me smile.
No what's your opinion on what you posted? I presume you wanted a discussion of something, that you had an opinion on what you posted?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2023, 08:56 AM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I watched it and found no need for a conspiracy theory to explain why it sucks. It's blatant tokenism and the basest form of pandering disguised as parody. They could have done so much better with Velma as a killer nerd making smart sexy. Instead they checked gender, orientation and ethnicity boxes with the characters and wrote them crash, trashy and unimaginative jokes.
Old 22nd January 2023, 05:38 PM   #10
MBDK
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I watched it and found no need for a conspiracy theory to explain why it sucks. It's blatant tokenism and the basest form of pandering disguised as parody. They could have done so much better with Velma as a killer nerd making smart sexy. Instead they checked gender, orientation and ethnicity boxes with the characters and wrote them crash, trashy and unimaginative jokes.
I assume you meant "crass"? Or perhaps there's some other association I am missing?
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2023, 05:38 PM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MBDK View Post

I assume you meant "crass"? Or perhaps there's some other association I am missing?
I did; I regret my error.
Old 27th January 2023, 09:56 AM   #12
IsThisTheLife
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
From what I can tell, the conspiracy theories are a perfect example of Poe's law in action.
Er, isn't it that Velma appears to be a "perfect example of Poe's Law in action", hence the "conspiracy theories"? But perhaps you're being subtly ironic?
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2023, 03:42 PM   #13
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I watched the first half of the first episode; it sucks. On MovieChat.org (the old IMDB forum) the usual racists are having fits over the race swaps and other stuff.

If they had bothered to watch the show, they would know that race swapping an origin story is the least of this program's problems.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2023, 06:16 PM   #14
MBDK
Muse

Thanks. I wasn't trying to correct you, rather to see if this was just another addition to modern (or any other type I am oblivious to) vernacular, that had passed me by.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2023, 07:56 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I dunno. The movie Crash has been criticized as "trite, racist, and dull", charged with stereotyping and demeaning its characters, and criticized by the wonderful Thandie Newton for neutralizing "the very real rage" that some minorities feel.

So I feel like the typo works pretty well here.
Old 5th February 2023, 04:25 AM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories