ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING!

Old 31st December 2017, 11:01 AM   #41
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sigh!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2017, 12:11 PM   #42
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
That's censorship. Salmond's complaint against the BBC is...
Is that it behaves like Pravda, which is notorious as a government mouthpiece. Taking a job at Pravda after making that comparison is utter hypocrisy.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:05 AM   #43
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

There needs to be intelligent administration not deafening silence.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2018, 11:54 AM   #44
fagin
Philosopher

I'm sure the UK government has much bigger problems than Zimbabwe. seriously, have you heard of Brexit?
Old 1st January 2018, 01:55 PM   #45
Garrison
Illuminator

There needs to be intelligent administration not deafening silence.
There's need to be an effort on your part to address the actual topic of the thread. Is it not hypocritical of Salmond to disparagingly compare the BBC to Pravda and then accept a post with Pravda?
Old 2nd January 2018, 07:34 PM   #46
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I don't understand the mention of Zimbabwe. The BBC has given extensive coverage to the events and their background, Special features on the BBC News Channel, Special editions of Newsnight, Features on the BBC News Website. What more do you want?
Although I couldn't find it on YT, the BBC sent a crew to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot.

Below is a link to a newspaper report on the Creek in The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10182780.html

Drone video from the Daily Fail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...gun-shoot.html

Article from Rueters:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-us...89J0CC20121021

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:21 AM   #47
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
There's need to be an effort on your part to address the actual topic of the thread. Is it not hypocritical of Salmond to disparagingly compare the BBC to Pravda and then accept a post with Pravda?
There is a bit of background to this Alex Salmond and BBC Pravda business at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41934399

Salmond thinks the BBC reporting of the Scottish independence referendum was biased in the same way as their reporting of Syria and Rhodesia-Zimbabwe was biased and their deafening silence with regard to the bugging scandals.

Quote:
SNP MP Douglas Chapman tweeted at BBC presenter Andrew Neil that Mr Salmond had "probably got fed up waiting for an offer from the UK propaganda machine...you know, the one you work for."

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 3rd January 2018 at 03:29 AM.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:24 AM   #48
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

More about Alex Salmond and BBC Pravda at:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...endum-coverage
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:54 AM   #49
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Salmond thinks the BBC reporting of the Scottish independence referendum was biased in the same way as their reporting of Syria and Rhodesia-Zimbabwe was biased and their deafening silence with regard to the bugging scandals.
Yes, we get that many Scots (including some that post regularly on this board) think that the BBC's coverage of the independence referendum was heavily biased government propaganda. There are others, no doubt, who would contend that the bias was in the other direction. The BBC does however have a worldwide reputation for (comparatively) fair reporting.

OTOH Russia Today is known to be the mouthpiece of the Kremlin and has been shown time and again that it merely spreads propaganda.

Alex Salmond is being hypocritical for working for a broadcaster that is known to be heavily biased whilst criticising another broadcaster which by comparison is less biased.

Contrary to your assertions, the BBC often covers the stories you complain about it not covering. Perhaps not to your satisfaction but then again the BBC is attempting to provide a news service for the country as a whole and not pander to your particular obsessions and/or points of view.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 03:58 AM   #50
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand the mention of Zimbabwe. The BBC has given extensive coverage to the events and their background, Special features on the BBC News Channel, Special editions of Newsnight, Features on the BBC News Website. What more do you want?
Continual coverage of Zimbabwe which repeats Henri McPhee's assertion that black people are unfit to govern as Prime Ministers and/or Presidents and which daily bows to the infinite (and 60 year old) wisdom of Roy Welensky
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2018, 06:05 AM   #51
Garrison
Illuminator

All this does is highlight his hypocrisy. His comparison made it clear that he thinks the BBC indulges in the same kind of government propaganda that Pravda is notorious for, then he goes to work for Pravda. That is out and hypocrisy regardless of what items he may believe the BBC is biased on. Though much like yourself he has failed to offer any evidence to support his opinions about the BBC.
Old 3rd January 2018, 12:01 PM   #52
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Although I couldn't find it on YT, the BBC sent a crew to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot.

Below is a link to a newspaper report on the Creek in The Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10182780.html
To quote:

"For a minimum investment of $150, anyone can have a crack at a 30mm machine gun, even a foreigner. For an extra $50, punters can upgrade to the 50mm"

Quality reportage.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 04:06 PM   #53
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
To quote:

"For a minimum investment of $150, anyone can have a crack at a 30mm machine gun, even a foreigner. For an extra $50, punters can upgrade to the 50mm"

Quality reportage.
If I had a nickel for every bit of technical misreporting by media sources on firearms I'd be a very rich man.

The fact that I'd be merely "rich" if it was limited to alleged "experts" in law enforcement and anti-terrorism is a sad state of affairs.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 09:16 PM   #54
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Henri McPhee seems to have a particular bee in his bonnet about Zimbabwe. Long derail in AAH.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=325055
Thanks.

Evidently delusional thinking encompasses racism too.

Old 19th February 2018, 03:50 AM   #55
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

There is a bit about BBC Pravda at You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA
Old 19th February 2018, 04:41 AM   #56
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

There is a bit about BBC Pravda at You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA
yt;dw

I'm sure there's all kinds of rubbish on Youtube.

edited to add...

I actually did watch it - it's a short clip of a Not The Nine O Clock News show.

Irrelevant and horribly outdated - a typical Henri McPhee reference in other words

Last edited by The Don; 19th February 2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 19th February 2018, 07:04 PM   #57
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

An 80s comedy sketch?

Good Primary Source there.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 10:47 AM   #58
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I actually did watch it - it's a short clip of a Not The Nine O Clock News show.

Irrelevant and horribly outdated - a typical Henri McPhee reference in other words
At least it's another clip than the one he posted earlier in the thread.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2018, 03:03 PM   #59
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW the Russian Media and it's army of Internet Trolls are on the offensive today, defending the slaughter in Syria Yesterday by Putin's best Pal Assad...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 04:53 AM   #60
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

East Ghouta is controlled by Isis, which has been involved in rapes and beheadings and amputation punishments. This is never mentioned by BBC Pravda, or by Foreign Office officials. There have been CIA officials on TV recently who have said they spent their entire careers in the past interfering in elections around the world. This is also never mentioned by BBC Pravda, which only highlights any Russian influence.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:10 AM   #61
fagin
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure the BBC has reported on ISIS doing nasty stuff.
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:27 AM   #62
ddt
Mafia Penguin

East Ghouta is controlled by Isis, which has been involved in rapes and beheadings and amputation punishments. This is never mentioned by BBC Pravda, or by Foreign Office officials. There have been CIA officials on TV recently who have said they spent their entire careers in the past interfering in elections around the world. This is also never mentioned by BBC Pravda, which only highlights any Russian influence.
On which TV channel?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:50 AM   #63
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

East Ghouta is controlled by Isis, which has been involved in rapes and beheadings and amputation punishments. This is never mentioned by BBC Pravda, or by Foreign Office officials.
Except when it is

Quote:
The Eastern Ghouta is dominated by the Islamist faction Jaysh al-Islam. But Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, a jihadist alliance led by al-Qaeda's former affiliate in Syria, also has a presence there
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43136831
Old 22nd February 2018, 05:01 PM   #64
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

An 80s comedy sketch?

Good Primary Source there.
What next Henri using one of Monty Python's fake satiric news items as a source....

Though I think that the Python Apology To Politicians FOr How They Are Depicted bit is just as true today as it was then......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 10:25 AM   #65
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

I can't quite see why BBC Pravda and UK Channel News supports the Syrian opposition, and Army of Islam, in Damascus. They don't seem to support these people much when there are atrocities in London or Manchester. I suspect these biased journalists might have a different perspective if they actually lived in Damascus. It's the fault of the 'keeping it dark' mainstream media. They never properly investigate any poison gas provocations and propaganda, and they just blame it all on so-called Russian collusion.
Old 27th February 2018, 03:59 PM   #66
fagin
Philosopher

Ramble on....
Old 9th March 2018, 03:53 AM   #67
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

To ramble on, BBC Pravda was at it again yesterday, along with the rest of the fake news, with their female journalists saying the Syrian government was responsible for the chemical attack in Damascus a few years ago. The fact is that Porton Down has reported the poison gas involved in that came from Turkey. Terrorists in Syria and Iraq, if not London and Manchester, have used chlorine poison gas.

That sort of false propaganda can start a war. There is no conclusive evidence the Syrian army has used chlorine gas, though I suppose it can't be ruled out. They may have bombed Syrian opposition chlorine dumps.

A court must take into consideration nothing but the evidence in the case before it, and witnesses other than experts must not be allowed to give their opinions, but must speak only as to facts.
Old 9th March 2018, 07:07 AM   #68
fagin
Philosopher

Please stop saying BBC Pravda - it just makes you look like an idiot conspiracy theorist.

How can you be taken seriously?
Old 9th March 2018, 07:08 AM   #69
fagin
Philosopher

And adding some links/evidence to back up your ramblings might help your cause.
Old 9th March 2018, 07:13 AM   #70
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

To ramble on, BBC Pravda was at it again yesterday, along with the rest of the fake news, with their female journalists saying the Syrian government was responsible for the chemical attack in Damascus a few years ago. The fact is that Porton Down has reported the poison gas involved in that came from Turkey. Terrorists in Syria and Iraq, if not London and Manchester, have used chlorine poison gas. .
Do you have any evidence to support the highlighed part ?

edited to add......

Also, what are you attempting to imply when you say "with their female journalists" ?

Last edited by The Don; 9th March 2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 9th March 2018, 07:25 AM   #71
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Please stop saying BBC Pravda - it just makes you look like an idiot conspiracy theorist.

How can you be taken seriously?
On the other hand, maybe it's better he keeps saying "BBC Pravda" so nobody gets the wrong impression and imagines he's to be taken seriously.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 09:38 AM   #72
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Childlike Empress on this forum came up with some evidence that Porton Down thought the chemical weapons used in Syria came from Turkey. As usual BBC Pravda and the American fake news outlets always blame it all on the Russians and Syrian government with no real proof to back it up. There are several websites about this matter.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34286662.html

Quote:
"It’s a high probability that this attack was carried out with those basic materials shipped through Turkey. It is said the regime forces are responsible but the indictment says it’s ISIS. UN inspectors went to the site but they couldn’t find any evidence. But in this indictment, we’ve found the evidence. We know who used the sarin gas, and our government knows it too,” he said.
Erdem said the basic materials for the sarin gas would have been sourced in Europe.
"All basic materials are purchased from Europe. Western institutions should question themselves about these relations. Western sources know very well who carried out the sarin gas attack in Syria. They know these people, they know who these people are working with, they know that these people are working for Al-Qaeda. I think is Westerns are hypocrites about the situation.”
Belfast Telegraph Digital

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 9th March 2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 9th March 2018, 09:51 AM   #73
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Some doubts from Porton Down about Syrian chemical attacks are mentioned at this website:

https://timhayward.wordpress.com/201...d-responsible/

BBC Pravda journalists should be made aware of this before they say that speculation is fact and evidence:

Quote:
It is worth keeping this background in mind. Although not mentioned much in our press, tests showed that the 2013 chemical attacks could not credibly be blamed on Assad’s forces.[3] President Obama had been all set to bomb Syria when, at the 11th hour, General Dempsey, Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who knew of the true state of intelligence, had a word with him.[4] Obama called off the bombing, apparently mindful that congress would be apprised of the intelligence.

Last edited by Henri McPhee; 9th March 2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:06 PM   #74
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Some doubts from Porton Down about Syrian chemical attacks are mentioned at this website:

https://timhayward.wordpress.com/201...d-responsible/

BBC Pravda journalists should be made aware of this before they say that speculation is fact and evidence:
Weak evidence but even then it does not support your claim that it was definitely Turkey.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:11 PM   #75
3point14
Pi

BBC Pravda

I don't recognise this organisation, can you link to their wiki or such?

*Until such time as it all gets really dark and I abandon my sister and my best friends. When the going gets tough, the tough go hide on an island. Dave Skywalker

#Notmyluke
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 04:33 AM   #76
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I don't recognise this organisation, can you link to their wiki or such?
And maybe even some evidence for the assertion that they "always blame everything on the Russians".
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:02 AM   #77
Garrison
Illuminator

I wouldn't hold your breath. Henri links tend to come in three flavours, those that are irrelevant, those that agree with him but contain no actual facts and those that actually contradict his position when you read beyond a single cherry picked quote.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics