IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd January 2020, 02:36 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

United Methodist Church may split over gay marriage and LGBT Clergy

//Note. I hem-hawed over whether to put this here or down in social. Move if necessary//

The United Methodist Church, which holds a demoniation of 12 million Americans and is the 3rd largest organized church in America (after the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention) is proposing a split to resolve years of heated debate over the role of homosexuality in the church.

CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/us/un...sal/index.html

Quote:
CNN - United Methodist Church leaders are proposing a split into more than one denomination in a bid to resolve years of debate over LGBT clergy and same-sex weddings, according to the church's official news agency.

The proposal, from a 16-member group of bishops and church leaders, says a separation was "the best means to resolve our differences, allowing each part of the Church to remain true to its theological understanding, while recognizing the dignity, equality, integrity, and respect of every person."

The restructuring comes after a contentious General Conference of the second-largest Protestant denomination in the US voted last year to reinforce the church's stance against ordaining gay clergy and performing same-sex weddings.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Thor 2
Philosopher

Once again I find myself puzzling about those who stubbornly cling to a religion who's other adherents don't want them. Desperately they insist on moulding the religion into a form they can comfortably fit into. Do they then still believe in the authenticity of that form I wonder? Many parts of scripture must be overlooked to achieve this end.

Possibly the biggest champion of this movement would be John Shelby Spong, who is described by some Christians (of a more traditional bent), as the Anglican Churches worst nightmare. Rejecting scripture after scripture he has issue with (I emphatically agree with him here), he still proclaims his Christianity. I admit to being flummoxed by this.

Last edited by Thor 2; 3rd January 2020 at 03:23 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2020, 09:00 AM   #3
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The United Methodist Church, which holds a denomination of 12 million Americans and is the 3rd largest organized church in America (after the Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention) is proposing a split to resolve years of heated debate over the role of homosexuality in the church.
I was raised in all three of these faith traditions, as it happens. The first is my mother's familial faith (going back for quite a few generations), the second my birth father's faith, the third my adoptive father's. Anyhow, I think this is a solid move for the UMC, even if it makes their name into a bit of an ironic anachronism. Better to have more congregations which exhibit what Pinker calls “a benevolent hypocrisy, for which we should all be grateful” than to have more places where people feel free to openly indulge in bigotry, using Bronze Age scribblings for cover.
Old 10th January 2020, 11:13 AM   #4
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Once again I find myself puzzling about those who stubbornly cling to a religion who's other adherents don't want them. Desperately they insist on moulding the religion into a form they can comfortably fit into. Do they then still believe in the authenticity of that form I wonder? Many parts of scripture must be overlooked to achieve this end.
Well, in this case, it's pretty close to 50-50 split. Add to that the regional nature of the split, and many individual churches tend to be fairly solidly to one side or the other, and each side sees itself as the legit majority. Many communities only have one church building per denomination, so it's not always an option to switch to another one while still 'keeping your faith'.

I do wonder what's to become of the billions of dollars of church properties. Who's gonna divvy that up, and how much bloodshed will there be before everyone grudgingly accepts (metaphorically speaking)?
Old 11th January 2020, 08:44 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I want to see some Crusades before this is over!
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I want to see some Crusades before this is over!
This isn't the kind of thing that leads to crusades. Internal schisms lead to reformation, differentiation, or inquisition.

The only way to get a Crusade out of this would be if the Ottoman Empire conquered Dallas, Texas, and the King called on all Methodists to put aside their differences and march to liberate their founding city.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th January 2020 at 09:01 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I was raised in all three of these faith traditions, as it happens. The first is my mother's familial faith (going back for quite a few generations), the second my birth father's faith, the third my adoptive father's. Anyhow, I think this is a solid move for the UMC, even if it makes their name into a bit of an ironic anachronism. Better to have more congregations which exhibit what Pinker calls “a benevolent hypocrisy, for which we should all be grateful” than to have more places where people feel free to openly indulge in bigotry, using Bronze Age scribblings for cover.
That sounds reasonable to me. Better a "benevolent hypocrisy" than a "tyranny of sincere zealots". I want them to ignore and/or reject the parts of the bible that are anti-tolerant.
Old 20th January 2020, 07:29 AM   #8
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, clearly they haven't read the bible carefully enough. It only says 'if a man lies down with another man like with a woman', so missionary is right out. You can ask your clergy to swear they'll never do it missionary style. Spooning on the side is probably right out too. But clearly the Lord is OK with doing it standing, or doggy style, or reverse cowgirl, or a few other positions, or He wouldn't have gone into the details

Last edited by HansMustermann; 20th January 2020 at 07:57 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy