IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags court cases , donald trump , political predictions , political speculation , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: When will Trump be subpoenaed?
Never, Trump will never be subpoenaed 9 17.65%
3 years from now? 1 1.96%
12 months from now? 4 7.84%
3 months? 23 45.10%
January 20th 12:15 PM. 13 25.49%
January 3rd with an order to appear on January 21? 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th November 2020, 10:35 AM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

When will the first subpoena be issued to Trump?

The common belief is that Trump will be facing multiple legal battles in multiple jurisdictions the moment he leaves office. Defamation, tax fraud, insurance fraud, perjury, obstruction of justice are just a few.

So how soon can we expect the first subpoena being issued, if ever?
Old 28th November 2020, 10:43 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I find it entirely possible that the SDNY already has some subpoenas under seal, but is waiting to see the scope of the Trump Self-Pardon before delivering them.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I find it entirely possible that the SDNY already has some subpoenas under seal, but is waiting to see the scope of the Trump Self-Pardon before delivering them.
Forgive my pedantry but the phrase "under seal" is overused. In the case of a subpoena, there would be no need to file it at all until a lawyer wants it to be served. It therefore wouldn't be "under seal" but would rather be "in a desk drawer."
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:01 PM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I stand corrected.
Old 28th November 2020, 12:04 PM   #5
SteveAitch
Student

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Forgive my pedantry but the phrase "under seal" is overused. In the case of a subpoena, there would be no need to file it at all until a lawyer wants it to be served. It therefore wouldn't be "under seal" but would rather be "in a desk drawer."
I suppose it could be said to be Under Seal if the DA owned one of these...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:36 PM   #6
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Under seat. As soon as Trump is no longer protected by the office of the Presidency a whole lot of junior clerks are going to look down and wouldn't ya know it, that's where all that gosh darned evidence of his misdeeds had gone to!
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:55 PM   #7
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Some time after he completes his third term in 2029
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Some time after he completes his third term in 2029
Current voting fraud cases go to court and appeals reach the Supreme Court. SC says "obvious fraud" just like our Hero President has been saying all along and he is reelected.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:26 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm figuring his first subpoena will not be for a criminal case against him, but for a criminal case against one of his subordinates -- Barr would be nice --, or against his family, or a civil case against him.
I voted three months, but since pretty much anyone can file a civil suit, it may be earlier.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:49 PM   #10
dirtywick
Master Poster

When he can’t hide behind is office anymore I’d assume they’ll be able to look a lot deeper into his contacts and records. And people who he forbid to testify, and some of those who refused to testify in the past have no reason not to. It’s going to blow a lot wide open, for better or worse.

For that reason I think it will be a while because they will want to build a much stronger case.

I think anything related to the Mueller investigation and anything related to official duties as the POTUS will be off limits. But financial crimes, and possibly other crimes, he committed while using his office to conceal and obstruct any oversight will be fair game.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 04:52 PM   #11
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm figuring his first subpoena will not be for a criminal case against him, but for a criminal case against one of his subordinates -- Barr would be nice --, or against his family, or a civil case against him.
I voted three months, but since pretty much anyone can file a civil suit, it may be earlier.
He's facing a Civil defamation suit that Barr was insisting that the DOJ had the authority to defend Trump against. Trump may even be required to submit to a DNA swab as that involved a sexual assault
Old 28th November 2020, 05:30 PM   #12
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to believe that the process servers will be queuing up on Pennsylvania Ave waiting for the Secret Service to drag him out by his heels at 12:00pm on the 20th of 2021.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:35 PM   #13
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I'd like to believe that the process servers will be queuing up on Pennsylvania Ave waiting for the Secret Service to drag him out by his heels at 12:00pm on the 20th of 2021.
Reports are that Trump is planning a rally opposite the inaugural.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Highly likely.
Old 28th November 2020, 06:04 PM   #15
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Wouldn't it be great if a process server managed to get on stage, and serve him live on TV?

Hey, a man can dream!
Old 28th November 2020, 06:09 PM   #16
Chanakya

I voted 3 months -- as have most others, I see -- but more as a somewhat realistic best case scenario I'd hope to see than actual expectation.

It's stupid, my reaction, since the poll isn't in any way remotely representative of the nation as a whole, but seeing others share my view/optimism gladdens my heart. This one, this time, must not be allowed to get away, that would be a real pity.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 06:10 PM   #17
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Wouldn't it be great if a process server managed to get on stage, and serve him live on TV?

Hey, a man can dream!
I like it!
Old 28th November 2020, 06:56 PM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

End of January give or take.

I (and this is all absolute gut feeling, so grain of salt) think that the sort of "Literal first second he's a citizen again" stuff that others have suggested strikes me as overly theatric.

And I do wonder if there is any evidence that could not have been collected while Trump was President that certain people might want before pulling the metaphorical trigger.

I also wonder if the "Get everything ready for one giant knockout legal punch" or "The death of a thousand cuts" will be the more popular strategy.

I could be 100% wrong, in either direction, though.
Old 28th November 2020, 07:03 PM   #19
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

So how soon can we expect the first subpoena being issued, if ever?
I think it will be either a tax or a SEC matter. It was tax that brought down Al Capone. It will take time and Trump will need to hire real lawyers.
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:08 PM   #20
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I just want to see more videos of Trump being deposed, to see his bestest ever memory and intellect in action. Woman . . . Man . . . I don't remember . . . I don't recall . . . Not to my recollection.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:33 PM   #21
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

I (and this is all absolute gut feeling, so grain of salt) think that the sort of "Literal first second he's a citizen again" stuff that others have suggested strikes me as overly theatric.

And I do wonder if there is any evidence that could not have been collected while Trump was President that certain people might want before pulling the metaphorical trigger.

I also wonder if the "Get everything ready for one giant knockout legal punch" or "The death of a thousand cuts" will be the more popular strategy.

My experience is lawyers like theatrics.
Old 28th November 2020, 07:53 PM   #22
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Prosecutors doing the old Columbo, "Just one more thing...." during every deposition would also be hilarious.
Old 28th November 2020, 09:34 PM   #23
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Won't The (former) PDJT be able to just ignore all those subpoenas without consequence, just like all his guys did?
Old 28th November 2020, 10:10 PM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Won't The (former) PDJT be able to just ignore all those subpoenas without consequence, just like all his guys did?
no.

The SC has already granted Cy Vance the right to go after Trump's records at other companies, and the "executive privilege" evoked by McGahn and the like doesn't extend past the Presidency, nor does the consideration not to waste a President's time.

This has been litigated and decided.

Unless ACB overturns it, of course.
Old 29th November 2020, 07:18 AM   #25
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'll believe it when I see it.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 10:23 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
I think it will be either a tax or a SEC matter. It was tax that brought down Al Capone. It will take time and Trump will need to hire real lawyers.
It will be the lying about the value of assests, on a loan application declaring Trump Tower is worth 27 billion dollars, but on a tax return having a value of 750 bucks.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:24 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I just want to see more videos of Trump being deposed, to see his bestest ever memory and intellect in action. Woman . . . Man . . . I don't remember . . . I don't recall . . . Not to my recollection.
Hopefully someone will remember to bring his reading glasses.
Old 29th November 2020, 03:44 PM   #28
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He's facing a Civil defamation suit that Barr was insisting that the DOJ had the authority to defend Trump against. Trump may even be required to submit to a DNA swab as that involved a sexual assault
You're referring to the defamation suit brought by E. Jean Carroll. He won't be able to skirt this after he leaves office. Pun intended.

Quote:
In January, attorneys for Carroll served an attorney for Trump with papers requesting a sample of his DNA to compare with male genetic material found on the black Donna Karan dress Carroll says she wore during the alleged encounter at Bergdorf's.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 04:12 PM   #29
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It will be the lying about the value of assets, on a loan application declaring Trump Tower is worth 27 billion dollars, but on a tax return having a value of 750 bucks.
I think that sounds right.

In addition, I do not know enough about USA capital gains taxation margins to make a full comment, however the organisation does seem to have a lot of naming rights licenses, and I imagine there may have been re-characterisation of ordinary income to intangible capital assets, when transferred between friendly companies, to allow for tax reduction activities.

Down in Australia there is a general anti avoidance provision, the "GAAR", that business activities must have a business reason and cannot only be for taxation reduction.

Australian Taxation Office / General Anti-Avoidance Rules
"The GAAR is a last resort measure used to protect the integrity of our tax system. It ensures blatant, artificial or contrived arrangements to obtain tax benefits will fail. It is assessed on the objective facts and circumstances of each case. It applies where a taxpayer enters into a scheme for the sole or dominant purpose of obtaining a tax benefit.
https://www.ato.gov.au/general/tax-a...iavoidancerule
Matthew Ellard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2020, 11:58 PM   #30
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I take it as a given that the Trump White House will turn out to be a Black Hole when it comes to documenting what they have done in the last four years.
The White House Counsel, the House and DoJ will have to subpoena everyone who worked at the place just to get a picture of what happened when.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #31
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I take it as a given that the Trump White House will turn out to be a Black Hole when it comes to documenting what they have done in the last four years.
The White House Counsel, the House and DoJ will have to subpoena everyone who worked at the place just to get a picture of what happened when.
We'll always have the Twitter record. It will be the most accurate depiction of the crazy old man who presided over the second-most catastrophic administration in US history (Lincoln retains the top spot despite his extreme competence).
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #32
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I expect that Trump will start getting subpoenas within three months of getting out of the White House.

However, given the numerous times that Trump has successfully evaded the justice system, then I expect that Trump will not actually be deposed for several more months after he has received said subpoenas. And any actual trials involving his depositions will be at least a year or two after this point.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think the only reason why Trump's bootlickers were able to ignore subpoenas is because there was no political will to follow through.

For example, congress does have the authority to jail people for contempt (even if they haven't used that power in a long long time), so they could have locked up Trump advisors who refused subpoenas. Congress just didn't have the will to follow through.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #34
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

That is just a cover.
He will actually be on a plane to a non-extradition country.

Hopefully Somalia, but probably Russia.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #35
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I expect that Trump will start getting subpoenas within three months of getting out of the White House.

However, given the numerous times that Trump has successfully evaded the justice system, then I expect that Trump will not actually be deposed for several more months after he has received said subpoenas. And any actual trials involving his depositions will be at least a year or two after this point.
Should be noted that Ivanka was deposed today because of the obvious overbilling during the inauguration.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #36
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Should be noted that Ivanka was deposed today because of the obvious overbilling during the inauguration.
I'm just waiting for Donnie to be deposed...
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I don't see why they can't do both ... at the same time.

And over and over. It isn't like they don't have plenty of material to work with.

One giant legal knock-out punch after another, with thousands of cuts continuing the entire time.

Sounds good to me.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #38
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh yes! I noticed that too.

But also please keep in mind that this testimony was provided by Ivanka as opposed to her father, and that her testimony concerning an event that happened nearly four years ago.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #39
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Trump is notorious for destroying documents. A while back, two career White House staffers were fired, allegedly because they had been salvaging documents from the Oval Office trash and taping them back together.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #40
Lanzy
Muse

I voted Jan 20th but, that depends on his being in the country. I really expect him to take AF 1 to some non-extradition country, sell the plane and go into hiding.
Lanzy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics