ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th October 2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

And?
Old 8th October 2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Tea Party and Muslims for Trump candidate.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 10:34 PM   #3
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Tea Party and Muslims for Trump candidate.
You don"t say.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:39 PM   #4
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
You don"t say.
Predictable that the first line of comments from some quarters was "SEND HIM BACK!", "dune coon" and "must be a Democrat".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2020, 11:17 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's of note that the news article does not mention that Mohammed is a Republican. I suspect that is not an accident. In fact, I could only find one that mentions that important tid bit o' info. On the other hand, the Tea Party911.com website covering this incident falsely claims:
Quote:
It seems that those “rare” cases of Democrat election fraud are becoming more frequent.
http://www.teaparty911.com/mail-ball...denton-county/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2020, 01:59 AM   #6
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's of note that the news article does not mention that Mohammed is a Republican. I suspect that is not an accident. In fact, I could only find one that mentions that important tid bit o' info. On the other hand, the Tea Party911.com website covering this incident falsely claims:

Presumably it's "Democrat" election fraud because the means by which he attempted to perpetrate it, postal voting, is being promoted by the Democratic Party as a means for people to cast their vote in a pandemic.

Even though it's apparently a Republican doing it, it's still the Democrat's fault for endorsing the system he is abusing.

edited to add......

If it used to, the Newsbreak story no longer mentions his party affiliation.

edited again to add......

According to the comments on one story (need a shower now), the mayoral race is a non-partisan one but Zul Mirza Mohamed himself has various Facebook posts of him attending Tea Party events.

Last edited by The Don; 9th October 2020 at 02:08 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 12:50 AM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Presumably it's "Democrat" election fraud because the means by which he attempted to perpetrate it, postal voting, is being promoted by the Democratic Party as a means for people to cast their vote in a pandemic.

Even though it's apparently a Republican doing it, it's still the Democrat's fault for endorsing the system he is abusing.

edited to add......

If it used to, the Newsbreak story no longer mentions his party affiliation.

edited again to add......

According to the comments on one story (need a shower now), the mayoral race is a non-partisan one but Zul Mirza Mohamed himself has various Facebook posts of him attending Tea Party events.
The fact that ZMM is a Republican has indeed been removed. I am 100% sure that it was in the original article.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

As I am reading this, it's not what we think of as 'voter fraud'. It's more 'yokel mayoral candidate runs ridiculously stupid hustle on his town'.

Was this guy an endorsed/serious contender, or a rando whack job with no chance of being elected? And no, his scam would never have gotten him into office. Too many obvious screwups
Old 16th October 2020, 01:43 PM   #9
CORed
Philosopher

It appears that being a Republican significantly increases the probability that someone will be concerned about or commit voter fraud. Coincidence? I think not.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 02:35 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's of note that the news article does not mention that Mohammed is a Republican. I suspect that is not an accident. In fact, I could only find one that mentions that important tid bit o' info.
The article you linked doesn't appear to mention Mohamed's party affiliation. It says, in its entirety:
A Texas mayoral candidate has been arrested and charged with 109 felonies related to voter fraud. The Denton County Sheriff's Office arrested Zul Mirza Mohamed, a candidate for mayor in Carrollton, Texas, on Tuesday and charged him with 25 counts of unlawful possession of a ballot without the request of the voter and 84 counts of fraudulent use of a mail ballot application.
Below that are some tags that also don't mention political parties.

Below that is a button labeled "Read Full Story". I clicked on that, and it took me here:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...to-voter-fraud

The "full story" also doesn't appear to mention Mohamed's party affiliation.

Did you mean to link some other article?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 02:43 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The article you linked doesn't appear to mention Mohamed's party affiliation. It says, in its entirety:
A Texas mayoral candidate has been arrested and charged with 109 felonies related to voter fraud. The Denton County Sheriff's Office arrested Zul Mirza Mohamed, a candidate for mayor in Carrollton, Texas, on Tuesday and charged him with 25 counts of unlawful possession of a ballot without the request of the voter and 84 counts of fraudulent use of a mail ballot application.
Below that are some tags that also don't mention political parties.

Below that is a button labeled "Read Full Story". I clicked on that, and it took me here:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...to-voter-fraud

The "full story" also doesn't appear to mention Mohamed's party affiliation.

Did you mean to link some other article?
No, I didn't. The article I linked to later removed the mention of Mohamed's political affiliation but I am 100% positive it was there. But, he is, indeed a member of the GOP. There is video of him attending and speaking at a Tea Party function. I saw the video in the comments section of one of the links.
Old 16th October 2020, 03:11 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No, I didn't. The article I linked to later removed the mention of Mohamed's political affiliation but I am 100% positive it was there. But, he is, indeed a member of the GOP. There is video of him attending and speaking at a Tea Party function. I saw the video in the comments section of one of the links.
That's so weird! I can't find any mention of his party affiliation in any of the articles about this story. Just comments with no sources.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 03:43 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's so weird! I can't find any mention of his party affiliation in any of the articles about this story. Just comments with no sources.
It is weird. However, I found that most people assumed he is a Democrat which I don't think was unintentional, frankly. Some of the comments from the sheriff show his anti-mail in ballots bias. I did find this in a comments section which shows that Mohammed is, indeed, a registered Republican:

https://www.mylife.com/zul-mohamed/e607029660408
Old 16th October 2020, 04:09 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It is weird. However, I found that most people assumed he is a Democrat which I don't think was unintentional, frankly. Some of the comments from the sheriff show his anti-mail in ballots bias. I did find this in a comments section which shows that Mohammed is, indeed, a registered Republican:

https://www.mylife.com/zul-mohamed/e607029660408
Haha oh wow.

Check again. He's a Democrat.

ETA: My provisional assumption is that he is in fact a Republican. Now I'm curious why that info has been so thoroughly scrubbed from the news reports.

(Also, I think mylife.com is probably a scam. Somewhere between Yelp reviews and hot singles in your area. I'm kind of embarrassed on your behalf. No political point-scoring is worth using them as a reference.)

Last edited by theprestige; 16th October 2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 16th October 2020, 04:14 PM   #15
wareyin
Philosopher

Haha oh wow.

??? The mylife page clearly says Politics: Republican.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 04:17 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
??? The mylife page clearly says Politics: Republican.
Check again: "Democrat Party"

It also says he's a registered Democrat in the summary profile at the top.

Last edited by theprestige; 16th October 2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 16th October 2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Please stand by while we make some adjustments to reality.

Bzzzt, click!

"Zul Mirza Mohamed has always been a Democrat".
Old 16th October 2020, 04:28 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Please stand by while we make some adjustments to reality.

Bzzzt, click!

"Zul Mirza Mohamed has always been a Democrat".
I'm reasonably confident that adjustments to mylife.com pages aren't adjustments to reality.

Anyway, after taking another look at the page, I think we have made a mistake, and this isn't the right Zul Mohamed at all.
Old 16th October 2020, 04:45 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Haha oh wow.

It's apparent someone has been editing the page. The original one said he was Republican. The second one immediately under it, which was titled "correction", had changed it to "Democrat". One is now gone and the other has been edited to a bunch of nonsense.

Quote:
ETA: My provisional assumption is that he is in fact a Republican. Now I'm curious why that info has been so thoroughly scrubbed from the news reports.
Yes, which is what I saw in the original article I linked. I also saw a video of a Tea Party event he spoke at.

(Also, I think mylife.com is probably a scam. Somewhere between Yelp reviews and hot singles in your area. I'm kind of embarrassed on your behalf. No political point-scoring is worth using them as a reference.)

I'm kind of embarrassed for you that you had to resort to this in order to cover for your own embarrassment at figuring out that the mylife.com quote was edited from 'Republican' to 'Democrat'. Your 'gotcha' wasn't much of a 'gotcha' after all, was it?
Old 16th October 2020, 04:48 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reasonably confident that adjustments to mylife.com pages aren't adjustments to reality.

Anyway, after taking another look at the page, I think we have made a mistake, and this isn't the right Zul Mohamed at all.
Yes, he's the same. The birthday of 4/11/81 was the same and so was the address before the shmuck on mylife changed some of the details. I noticed them. The birthdate is the same as the one on his candidate registration as is the address (Bennington Rd).
Old 16th October 2020, 05:41 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's apparent someone has been editing the page. The original one said he was Republican. The second one immediately under it, which was titled "correction", had changed it to "Democrat". One is now gone and the other has been edited to a bunch of nonsense.

Yes, which is what I saw in the original article I linked. I also saw a video of a Tea Party event he spoke at.

I'm kind of embarrassed for you that you had to resort to this in order to cover for your own embarrassment at figuring out that the mylife.com quote was edited from 'Republican' to 'Democrat'. Your 'gotcha' wasn't much of a 'gotcha' after all, was it?
Oh dear. You still haven't noticed that anyone can edit that page. Try it yourself!
Old 16th October 2020, 06:07 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, he's the same. The birthday of 4/11/81 was the same and so was the address before the shmuck on mylife changed some of the details. I noticed them. The birthdate is the same as the one on his candidate registration as is the address (Bennington Rd).
LOL. "The schmuck on mylfe". How do you know it wasn't some schmuck on mylife who made him a Democrat in the first place?
Old 16th October 2020, 06:18 PM   #23
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

In my state, my name and party affiliation are public record.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 06:25 PM   #24
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear. You still haven't noticed that anyone can edit that page. Try it yourself!
That's my point! Someone 'corrected' it from 'Republican' to 'Democrat'. As I said, I saw the video of him speaking at a Tea Party event. He is a Republican:

https://www.facebook.com/carrollton....49420645313543

You believed he was a Dem when you posted what you thought was your 'gotcha':

Quote:
Haha oh wow.

Old 16th October 2020, 06:27 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. "The schmuck on mylfe". How do you know it wasn't some schmuck on mylife who made him a Democrat in the first place?
Maybe some schmuck is impersonating him speaking at this Tea Party event 2018?

Maybe like the shmuck who left me a message on that mylife page?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th October 2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 16th October 2020, 06:31 PM   #26
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
And?
Boy, are his arms tired!
Old 16th October 2020, 06:36 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
In my state, my name and party affiliation are public record.
I think that's true of most states, but it doesn't seem to translate into easily accessible records and convenient online searches Not for Texas, anyway.
Old 16th October 2020, 06:50 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's my point! Someone 'corrected' it from 'Republican' to 'Democrat'. As I said, I saw the video of him speaking at a Tea Party event. He is a Republican:

You believed he was a Dem when you posted what you thought was your 'gotcha':
No. I changed his party affiliation on mylife to demonstrate just how crap of a reference that website is..

As for that Tea Party event: Have you looked at the other candidates that addressed the Tea Party at that event? Does Richard Fleming look like a Republican to you?

Maybe I should edit Fleming's mylife page to indicate that he's a Republican, since he addressed a Tea Party group. Correct the record. What do you think?
Old 16th October 2020, 06:57 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe some schmuck is impersonating him speaking at this Tea Party event 2018?

Maybe like the shmuck who left me a message on that mylife page?
OLOL. Maybe it's Zul himself giving you a shout out.

It's tragicomic how quickly you went from mylife.com being a source of truth about Mohamed's party affiliation, to thinking maybe it's just some schmuck doing an impersonation.
Old 16th October 2020, 07:07 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Look, the original news article I READ was not mylife or a video. It said he was a Republican. I cannot help it if it was later edited out. Do you think I would have linked to it if it had said otherwise? You can think whatever you want. I know what I read.

Quote:
It's tragicomic how quickly you went from mylife.com being a source of truth about Mohamed's party affiliation, to thinking maybe it's just some schmuck doing an impersonation.

Pity you don't get sarcasm. I guess you need a sarcasm emoji.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th October 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 16th October 2020, 07:27 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Look, the original news article I READ was not mylife or a video. It said he was a Republican. I cannot help it if it was later edited out. Do you think I would have linked to it if it had said otherwise? You can think whatever you want. I know what I read.
Maybe the original news article removed the claim because they realized it wasn't supported. You want to find schmucks stealth editing the claims your arguments depend on, look at the media outlets you cite.

What on earth made you think mylife.com was a reputable source?

You know why I think Richard Fleming is a Democrat? It's because he's all over the Internet as a Democrat.

You know why I think Zul Mohamed is a Republican? It's because he's not all over the Internet as a Democrat.

But still it's weird. He's not all over the Internet as a Republican, either. Besides this story, he's not really on the Internet at all. And that's weird. Don't you think it's weird?
Old 16th October 2020, 07:33 PM   #32
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Texas is not one of the states that expanded mail-in ballots due to the pandemic. Absentee ballots must be requested and they are heavily restricted. Trump will love this, but it has nothing to do with expanded mail-in voting.

ETA: In my experience party affiliation is not very important at the local level. Most cases of voter fraud documented by the Heritage Foundation involved very localized races, like JP.

Last edited by Minoosh; 16th October 2020 at 07:35 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 07:34 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

God, I hope this isn't a Democrat.

Oh, good. The media is saying he's a Republican.

Oh ****, the media has disappeared that claim.

Oh good, he spoke to a conservative interest group.

Oh ****, so did some Democrats.

Oh good, he's listed as a Republican on some website.

Oh ****, the website is a money grubbing scam that anyone can mess with.

With which anyone can mess.

Guess it's time to admit my errors and move on.

Well. One can dream, anyway.
Old 16th October 2020, 07:37 PM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe the original news article removed the claim because they realized it wasn't supported. You want to find schmucks stealth editing the claims your arguments depend on, look at the media outlets you cite.

What on earth made you think mylife.com was a reputable source?

You know why I think Richard Fleming is a Democrat? It's because he's all over the Internet as a Democrat.

You know why I think Zul Mohamed is a Republican? It's because he's not all over the Internet as a Democrat.

But still it's weird. He's not all over the Internet as a Republican, either. Besides this story, he's not really on the Internet at all. And that's weird. Don't you think it's weird?
I don't know. But it's my dinner. I'll get back to you later. But I did find this for now.

Old 16th October 2020, 08:04 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Somebody said something on Twitter. And you have a screenshot. Not a link, though. Since a link could be to something that got edited or deleted out from under your claim.

Meanwhile your Tea Party group also heard from Democrats. And you have no idea if your Twitter source has any backing for their claim.

At least Twitter is slightly more reputable than mylife.com. On the other hand, Donald Trump posts on Twitter, so who knows what's real there.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:19 PM   #36
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Take this as what you will, but this would appear to be his campaign page from 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...4985898682576/

He declares no party, and in fact in a comment in one post declares he's an Independent.

There is an also alarming amount of flag backgrounds and Star Spangled Banners.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 09:18 PM   #37
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The races he ran in were not partisan. When he ran for city council he said he was running as an Independent. It appears from this document from DallasDemocrats.org that he voted in the Republican primary in 2016. If I am reading the notes correctly, I think the "16-R" next to his name indicates that he was not registered as a Republican but voted in the Republican primary in 2016. Nothing official, but some type of record.

I don't think it matters which party he belongs to or supports. As Minoosh mentioned, most of the larger scale voter fraud involves small races for something like small town mayor or city council. These usually happen over some local issue that has nothing to do with either political party.
Old 16th October 2020, 11:33 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
The races he ran in were not partisan. When he ran for city council he said he was running as an Independent. It appears from this document from DallasDemocrats.org that he voted in the Republican primary in 2016. If I am reading the notes correctly, I think the "16-R" next to his name indicates that he was not registered as a Republican but voted in the Republican primary in 2016. Nothing official, but some type of record.

I don't think it matters which party he belongs to or supports. As Minoosh mentioned, most of the larger scale voter fraud involves small races for something like small town mayor or city council. These usually happen over some local issue that has nothing to do with either political party.
What your document showed is that the twitter screen shot I provided was true: Mohamed did run as a Republican against Marchant in 2016. If theprestige would like to continue arguing against this, he can have at it. As Rhett Butler once so famously said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

It's interesting to note that when another case of mail in voter fraud occurred in Texas, the newspaper made it clear that the culprits were Democrats:

Quote:
Yet, when the same newspaper covered the Mohamed voter fraud story a couple weeks later, they referred to him as a "progressive Democrat":
Quote:
Mohamed is widely described as a “progressive” Democrat candidate, but Washington Sentinel has not been able to verify the candidate’s party affiliation.
But when you follow the link they provide to this alleged source you end up at the Wayne Dupree site which is rated as "low" on factual content and "extreme" right wing by media bias fact check.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 16th October 2020 at 11:35 PM.
Old 17th October 2020, 01:16 AM   #39
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Yet, when the same newspaper covered the Mohamed voter fraud story a couple weeks later, they referred to him as a "progressive Democrat":

But when you follow the link they provide to this alleged source you end up at the Wayne Dupree site which is rated as "low" on factual content and "extreme" right wing by media bias fact check.
You didn't need to go there to find that, the Washington Sentinel itself is an extreme rightwing biased questionable source. And the Washington Examiner is not a lot better.

On the thread itself, Zul called himself an Independent on the Facebook page, so it's clear he didn't stand as a Republican, even if he did vote as one.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 01:32 AM   #40
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think we've lost sight of the original point of this thread which was that the commenters under the linked article assumed Mohamed was a Democrat and engaged in racist comments. It was rather revealing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics