ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Bernie Sanders , presidential candidates

Old 17th March 2019, 10:51 AM   #441
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
It's really hard to see how this:

https://twitter.com/ChelseaClinton/s...73371823366145

Leads to this:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/stat...18929385578497

Then again, it could be much like homeopathy in that the more we dilute the initial antiracist sentiment, the more potent a racist result we achieve.
Like I said, I think it's a weak point. But that's different from having no point, which was the claim.

Unless you're doing that thing where points you don't agree with don't count.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 11:11 AM   #442
d4m10n
Illuminator

It's such an attenuated claim, I'm having trouble seeing it as pointful in the least.

One could just as easily say that Omar's criticism of AIPAC leads more American Jews to make Aliyah, thereby swelling the ranks of the IDF and contributing to the oppression of Palestinian Muslims. I just made that up on the spot, and it's utterly pointless since there is no way to verify or falsify such things.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 03:50 PM   #443
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

If you read the Omar thread then you know I'm an Omar supporter and I pointedly don't think she was actually writing antisemitic things. But I also don't think Chelsea was operating in bad faith.

I mean I read a lot of really terrible things directed at Omar during that fiasco (let us not forget it ended with some idiot linking her to September 11 in West Virginia) and Chelsea's tweets were so far down the list of things that irritated me I had even forgotten she ever was involved. She, at least, made it clear she wanted to work with Omar to help her message better and avoid the pitfalls that come with everyone being hyper sensitive over criticism of Israel.

Ultimately it is possible to see the nuance here that Omar is not an antisemite and Chelsea is not an Islamaphobe. In my opinion they are both nice people that ended up initially talking past each other but came together in the end to recognize they are allies. If only the Bernie fanatics could understand such things.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 03:13 PM   #444
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Ultimately it is possible to see the nuance here that Omar is not an antisemite and Chelsea is not an Islamaphobe. In my opinion they are both nice people that ended up initially talking past each other but came together in the end to recognize they are allies. If only the Bernie fanatics could understand such things.
Yes! Talking past each other, but letting it go and recognizing that they are allies. Truly a mature way to handle conflict.

Then we have this

As such I look over the Democratic candidates and I vow to vote for whoever wins the nomination except Bernie. If he wins I'm just going to go seal myself in a cave somewhere and wait for death. His supporters are just too toxic and mean for me to ever be able to support or vote for him.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 10:09 PM   #445
Venom
Master Poster

What about Bernie Sanders. What does he think of it?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 11:08 PM   #446
Travis

Originally Posted by Axiom_Blade View Post
Yes! Talking past each other, but letting it go and recognizing that they are allies. Truly a mature way to handle conflict.

Then we have this

Hey, my cave sealing plan seemed very sensible for about 24 hours.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:07 PM   #447
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Wow, some of you USA'ians really want a royal family, don't you.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:42 PM   #448
Travis

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Wow, some of you USA'ians really want a royal family, don't you.

Uh, what? Could you expand on that?

Old 19th March 2019, 09:49 PM   #449
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Uh, what? Could you expand on that?
The way some people here are running to defend Princess Chelsea from the evil brown girl who dared speak her mind.

It's a little icky.

Last edited by Lambchops; 19th March 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:53 PM   #450
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The way some people here are running to defend Princess Chelsea from the evil brown girl who dared speak her mind.

It's a little icky.
Your interpretation is ludicrous.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:44 PM   #451
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Your interpretation is ludicrous.
Is it though? Tell me how.

The girl who dared confront Princess Chelsea was absolutely flooded with hate on social media, to the point that she deleted her accounts on several platforms iirc.

I honestly think that a lot of the time, you US Dems are even worse than the US Repubs.

Last edited by Lambchops; 19th March 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 11:38 PM   #452
Travis

The girl who dared confront Princess Chelsea was absolutely flooded with hate on social media, to the point that she deleted her accounts on several platforms iirc.

I honestly think that a lot of the time, you US Dems are even worse than the US Repubs.

Wow. So she got blowback from making a ridiculous accusation against a young woman who isn't in politics? Seems like maybe there was a lesson to be learned in there.

Old 19th March 2019, 11:44 PM   #453
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Wow. So she got blowback from making a ridiculous accusation against a young woman who isn't in politics? Seems like maybe there was a lesson to be learned in there.
1) Are you seriously claiming that Chelsea Clinton is not a public figure?

2) What is "the lesson to be learned" here?

Edit: Pulling the "young woman" card is pretty funny. Chelsea Clinton is a fully grown 39 year old woman. That's the exact age I am, and I don't feel particulary young. She was confronted by a 19 year old girl.

Last edited by Lambchops; 19th March 2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 20th March 2019, 01:49 AM   #454
Travis

1) Are you seriously claiming that Chelsea Clinton is not a public figure?

2) What is "the lesson to be learned" here?

Edit: Pulling the "young woman" card is pretty funny. Chelsea Clinton is a fully grown 39 year old woman. That's the exact age I am, and I don't feel particulary young. She was confronted by a 19 year old girl.

Chelsea is a public figure only because of accident of birth. Are we allowed to yell incoherent accusations at any child of someone we hate? Is that the kind of toxic behavior we want to champion?

Keep in mind that Chelsea was arriving to attend a prayer vigil in remembrance of victims of a massacre. What a monster! Clearly the actions of new She Hitler.

If that blowup hadn't happened Chelsea would have just been there like anyone else trying to process the grief and sadness of the situation. The one who turned her into a "princess" was the girl that decided she couldn't just be there being quiet she had to find her and yell at her.

Old 20th March 2019, 06:23 AM   #455
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

...by people whose anti-Bernie obsession is pretty clearly driven by their failure to just let go of the fact that Chelsea's mother lost and the desperate need for someone to blame for that other than herself. Ya, it's all perfectly transparent. It was clear even during & before her Presidential run against Obama ages ago, for that matter even when they were already pushing for her for President during Bill's & GWB's Presidencies before she'd ever gotten anywhere near running for it yet herself. The Clintonites are an unmistakable Cult Of Personality... just like Trumpers in their own way.

Oh, wait, nevermind, I forgot, nothing must have actually happened to the Evil Chealsea Hater after all, because Bernie Bros are the ones who do that kind of thing to others, not the ones who get it done to them!

Last edited by Delvo; 20th March 2019 at 06:43 AM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:25 AM   #456
Belz...
Fiend God

Keep in mind that Chelsea was arriving to attend a prayer vigil in remembrance of victims of a massacre. What a monster! Clearly the actions of new She Hitler.
She-Hitler's really going to rock Eternia.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 07:10 AM   #457
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's a little icky.
I reckon I should preface my comments with an irrelevant factoid: The first time I ever donated money to a politician, it was to Jerry Brown who was opposing Bill Clinton in the primaries. That sums up my opinion of Bill and Hillary.

That said, I don't know whose comments are more inane -- the "evil brown girl" or you, both doing your best imitation of a frothing, fact-free zealot.
Old 20th March 2019, 04:11 PM   #458
d4m10n
Illuminator

So far as I can tell, Ms. Clinton is also flooded with hate on social platforms.

This tells us nothing about whether she was right or wrong, of course.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 05:48 PM   #459
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Chelsea is a public figure only because of accident of birth. Are we allowed to yell incoherent accusations at any child of someone we hate? Is that the kind of toxic behavior we want to champion?
I happen to think Chelsea was right in her tweet about Omar, but at the same time, it is BS to say that Chelsea is only a public figure because of birth. It is what caused her to be a public figure, yes, but she's no Amy Carter or Caroline Kennedy. She's been a correspondent for NBC News and she quite obviously interjected herself into the public conversation on this particular topic.

Last edited by Brainster; 20th March 2019 at 05:49 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 06:47 PM   #460
Travis

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I happen to think Chelsea was right in her tweet about Omar, but at the same time, it is BS to say that Chelsea is only a public figure because of birth. It is what caused her to be a public figure, yes, but she's no Amy Carter or Caroline Kennedy. She's been a correspondent for NBC News and she quite obviously interjected herself into the public conversation on this particular topic.

She did offer an opinion. Yes.

But I was someone that was on Omar's side and what I saw in Chelsea's tweets were just so not anything that registered to me as objectionable. And if that girl didn't want people finding her old tweets where she throws around homophobic slurs and seems to desire the destruction of Israel, well don't have your friend film your outburst then post it on social media with a request for money.

Old 20th March 2019, 06:54 PM   #461
Travis

Oh and should we talk about how Bernie just hired a whole bunch of highly toxic people. I mean David Sirota? And Briahna Joy Gray? I mean this is a woman that thinks the DNC has faked the entire Russia investigation to cover up their mistake in "rigging" the primary? A woman that proudly boasts she voted for Stein and thinks it is hilarious that Democrats are now being hurt by Trump? A woman that says things like this about civil rights icon John Lewis?

This all seems to signal that Bernie intends to go full scorched earth. Attack all the other candidates with BS mudslinging and nonstop irrational conspiracy theories.

Old 20th March 2019, 10:25 PM   #462
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What's with this Princess Chelsea crap?
Old 20th March 2019, 11:15 PM   #463
Venom
Master Poster

Oh and should we talk about how Bernie just hired a whole bunch of highly toxic people. I mean David Sirota? And Briahna Joy Gray? I mean this is a woman that thinks the DNC has faked the entire Russia investigation to cover up their mistake in "rigging" the primary? A woman that proudly boasts she voted for Stein and thinks it is hilarious that Democrats are now being hurt by Trump? A woman that says things like this about civil rights icon John Lewis?

This all seems to signal that Bernie intends to go full scorched earth. Attack all the other candidates with BS mudslinging and nonstop irrational conspiracy theories.
Or...he hired them in spite of these things, whether he's aware of all of that Twitter ******** or not, and because they closely support him. Sanders also likely wanted to broaden the demographics of his campaign team.

And again, maybe you're not actually aware of what Bernie Sanders thinks of the Russia investigation. Ultimately that's what matters. He won't let a wingnut on his team spew far out conspiracy theories.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:28 PM   #464
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

She did offer an opinion. Yes.

But I was someone that was on Omar's side and what I saw in Chelsea's tweets were just so not anything that registered to me as objectionable. And if that girl didn't want people finding her old tweets where she throws around homophobic slurs and seems to desire the destruction of Israel, well don't have your friend film your outburst then post it on social media with a request for money.
I don't have a clue what you're talking about with the homophobic slurs and destruction of Israel. Is that what one of the NYU protestors had in her twitter feed? Talk about that is fair game.

But you seem to be pursuing this personal vendetta against the Bernie Bros that has only marginal relation to current events.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th March 2019, 11:37 PM   #465
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Oh and should we talk about how Bernie just hired a whole bunch of highly toxic people. I mean David Sirota?
Sirota's a definite ass. Shall we talk about some of the other flaming buttholes who are being hired by the other campaigns?

Quote:
And Briahna Joy Gray? I mean this is a woman that thinks the DNC has faked the entire Russia investigation to cover up their mistake in "rigging" the primary? A woman that proudly boasts she voted for Stein and thinks it is hilarious that Democrats are now being hurt by Trump? A woman that says things like this about civil rights icon John Lewis?
I don't even get the gag, but I also don't get the outrage.

Quote:
Maybe it signals that he's got a lot of wackos on his side. Welcome to Democratic politics 2019-style.
Old 20th March 2019, 11:39 PM   #466
Travis

I don't have a clue what you're talking about with the homophobic slurs and destruction of Israel. Is that what one of the NYU protestors had in her twitter feed? Talk about that is fair game.

But you seem to be pursuing this personal vendetta against the Bernie Bros that has only marginal relation to current events.

Yeah, the girl that went off on Chelsea had a Twitter history full of homophobia and a few rants about wanting to see Israel destroyed. When people started asking questions about that she locked down her profile.

As for my vendetta, Brainster, have you ever known me to just go full throttle on something against the advice of everyone?

Wait.....I'm being advised by counsel to withdraw that last question.

Old 21st March 2019, 02:00 AM   #467
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the girl that went off on Chelsea had a Twitter history full of homophobia and a few rants about wanting to see Israel destroyed. When people started asking questions about that she locked down her profile.
Did you check if she's a fan of Ilhan as well as Bernie?

Quote:
As for my vendetta, Brainster, have you ever known me to just go full throttle on something against the advice of everyone?

Wait.....I'm being advised by counsel to withdraw that last question.
Most lawyers say don't ask a question you don't know the answer to; you were safe there.
Old 21st March 2019, 02:40 AM   #468
Mumbles
Philosopher

The teen also doubled down, refused to apologize, the recording was from her friend, and I'm told (but am not sure) they posted payment links.

I can sympathize with a teen who just lashes out (I was pissed over both Charlottesville and the Emmanuel Church shootings in SC, among other mass shootings), and while she's incredibly kind normally, I do think Chelsea Clinton was wrong about rep. Omar's comments. But there's definitely something very wrong about this video.

Last edited by Mumbles; 21st March 2019 at 02:41 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 06:01 AM   #469
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've just never seen it work for you, is all.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2019, 09:16 PM   #470
Travis

Did you check if she's a fan of Ilhan as well as Bernie?

I never did find that out. I know I started following Ilhan when she won the primary as I found a Somali woman running for office intriguing. But as for this girl, she definitely had some pretty extreme views on the whole Israel/Palestine situation. Omar believes in a two state solution but this girl seemed to advocate for a one state with no Israel solution.

Old 22nd March 2019, 12:23 AM   #471
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
So far as I can tell, Ms. Clinton is also flooded with hate on social platforms.

This tells us nothing about whether she was right or wrong, of course.
Oh, I agree. It does however tell us that HRC supporters are no better than anyone else.
Old 22nd March 2019, 12:27 AM   #472
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Yes, those people who actually speak their minds and are not bought and paid for by corporate interests, they are indeed "highly toxic".

You have to be kidding.
Old 23rd March 2019, 04:20 PM   #473
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yes, those people who actually speak their minds and are not bought and paid for by corporate interests, they are indeed "highly toxic".

You have to be kidding.
Sirota's a PITA, and has been for a long time. But the documented fact is that the entire Russia investigation began with an investigation of Paul Manafort, before he had even joined Dolt 45's campaign, and thus long before the election. Gray's the left wing equivalent of "deep state" conspiracy theorists on the right.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2019, 02:38 AM   #474
Travis

You have to be kidding.

Dude that lives under the bridge by Walmart also isn't bought and paid for and will gladly tell you all about how Regan stole his thoughts.

They are both toxic. Maybe not paid for toxic but still toxic.

Old 24th March 2019, 06:04 AM   #475
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Dude that lives under the bridge by Walmart also isn't bought and paid for and will gladly tell you all about how Regan stole his thoughts.

They are both toxic. Maybe not paid for toxic but still toxic.
Then how about posting evidence of their toxicity?
Old 25th March 2019, 04:50 AM   #476
Travis

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Then how about posting evidence of their toxicity?
https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/s...86966480969733

Old 27th March 2019, 10:41 PM   #477
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Lol, how is this "toxic"?

Anyone who gets their panties all bunched up from that tweet needs to grow some thicker skin.

Last edited by Lambchops; 27th March 2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 28th March 2019, 06:59 AM   #478
Axiom_Blade
Master Poster

Lol, how is this "toxic"?

Anyone who gets their panties all bunched up from that tweet needs to grow some thicker skin.
No, the establishment can attack Bernie all day, but if he attacks back, he's being "toxic" and "divisive".

Last week, somebody I follow on Facebook made a huge post about how Bernie's fanbase was being toxic and divisive by attacking the other Democrat candidates. Um, hello? That's what you do before a primary. You talk about why your candidate is good, and why the other candidates are bad. Yet another example of progressive candidates being hold to different standards than other candidates.

I guarantee you that Beto's fans are talking about why he's better than Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren, and Harris's fans are talking about why she's better than blah de blah-blah... But once "Bernie Bros" say anything, people lose their freaking minds.

Kinda makes you wonder what Democrats are afraid of. (As if we didn't know!)
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2019, 07:54 AM   #479
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axiom_Blade View Post
No, the establishment can attack Bernie all day, but if he attacks back, he's being "toxic" and "divisive".

Last week, somebody I follow on Facebook made a huge post about how Bernie's fanbase was being toxic and divisive by attacking the other Democrat candidates. Um, hello? That's what you do before a primary. You talk about why your candidate is good, and why the other candidates are bad. Yet another example of progressive candidates being hold to different standards than other candidates.

I guarantee you that Beto's fans are talking about why he's better than Kamala Harris or Elizabeth Warren, and Harris's fans are talking about why she's better than blah de blah-blah... But once "Bernie Bros" say anything, people lose their freaking minds.

Kinda makes you wonder what Democrats are afraid of. (As if we didn't know!)
Travis' cite doesn't seem particularly toxic to me either. Dumb maybe, toxic no. As for this part, if you need to cite anecdotes emanating from random, anonymous internet bozos, that suggests that your "different standards" doesn't amount to much.
Old 30th March 2019, 12:57 AM   #480
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Are we just going to pretend that what happens on the internet is not real?

I'm old, but I'm not dumb.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics