IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2019, 01:41 PM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Pope admits clerical abuse of nuns including sexual slavery

Unbelievable.

Quote:
Pope Francis has admitted that clerics have sexually abused nuns, and in one case they were kept as sex slaves.

He said in that case his predecessor, Pope Benedict, was forced to shut down an entire congregation of nuns who were being abused by priests.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nope sounds about par for the course. Better than a lot because at least this time it wasn't kids.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:49 PM   #3
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

"The sexual abuse of nuns by priests and the resulting “scandal” of religious sisters having abortions or giving birth to children not recognised by their fathers has been condemned in an article in the Vatican’s women’s magazine, published on Friday (1 February)."

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/113...uns-by-priests

So do those Nuns get excomunicated and damned to hell like when an 8 year old is raped by her stepfather and is pregnant with twins or is there special non damnation ways of dealing with it?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:26 PM   #4
cullennz
Banned

Pope acknowledges sex abuse of nuns by priests

Was actually wondering when this would happen, as it is the obvious extension of the other behaviour.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8765031.html
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:34 PM   #5
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Pedophiles, anti-gay gay guys, and now sexual-assaulting men, and maybe the worst of them all, men covering it all up ... disgusting how the worst men seem to be attracted to the priesthood.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:39 PM   #6
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Pedophiles, anti-gay gay guys, and now sexual-assaulting men, and maybe the worst of them all, men covering it all up ... disgusting how the worst men seem to be attracted to the priesthood.
I think you might mean "people"

Men don't have a monopoly on the ability to speak
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post

In the catholic curch they do.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:47 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

What would you expect from people who join a fringe occupation?

What other occupations can we compare to, something you don't see past the facade- clowns? cops? judges? ooh, ooh, I know- Politicians!
Old 5th February 2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

What other occupations can we compare to, something you don't see past the facade- clowns? cops? judges? ooh, ooh, I know- Politicians!
Lol, what point are you trying to make here?

Also, are you a Catholic? Or are you just a run of the mill religious apologist?

Last edited by Lambchops; 5th February 2019 at 10:51 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:00 PM   #10
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
In the catholic curch they do.
Only if every person that works for them has no tongue
Old 5th February 2019, 11:06 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Who, besides the men in the Catholic church hierarchy, have been covering this all up?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 11:08 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Only if every person that works for them has no tongue
Who were these 'people' that looked the other way? A Sister Superior or two?
Old 5th February 2019, 11:14 PM   #13
cullennz
Banned

Who, besides the men in the Catholic church hierarchy, have been covering this all up?
Well I would imagine, cleaners, volunteer workers, cooks, and to be frank, the nuns themselves.

Unless they are the most best hiders of dodgy stuff the world has known
Old 5th February 2019, 11:16 PM   #14
cullennz
Banned

To me personally the worst bit of this is the lack of actually getting authorities in.

But hey, it's the church and they can keep **** in house for some weird reason
Old 5th February 2019, 11:57 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well I would imagine, cleaners, volunteer workers, cooks, and to be frank, the nuns themselves.

Unless they are the most best hiders of dodgy stuff the world has known
You got any evidence of all these ancillary people who looked the other way? This is the first I've heard of this hypothesis.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:04 AM   #16
cullennz
Banned

You got any evidence of all these ancillary people who looked the other way? This is the first I've heard of this hypothesis.
Fair call

No I don't. So let's go with your theory that absolutely no one knew about it including the nuns
Old 6th February 2019, 12:11 AM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fair call

No I don't. So let's go with your theory that absolutely no one knew about it including the nuns
So the victims were responsible because they didn't turn the priests in?
Old 6th February 2019, 12:15 AM   #18
cullennz
Banned

So the victims were responsible because they didn't turn the priests in?
Their superiors were if they knew about it.

Though I don't know why you are saying responsible.

I would have said collusion or accessories
Old 6th February 2019, 12:22 AM   #19
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Their superiors were if they knew about it.

Though I don't know why you are saying responsible.

I would have said collusion or accessories
I suspect you don't know much about the Vatican and the church hierarchy. It's all men in charge and mostly men that work in the church.

We know it was men who looked the other way with the pedophiles. I'll keep an open mind that some women in the nunneries were guilty of covering up sexual abuse.

But lest you think I don't think any women in the Catholic Church have awful sins on their consciences, that's not true. They very much have a history of abusing (though not sexually) unwed mothers and maybe others, especially orphans.

God wants people to suffer in order to grow is an actual Catholic tenet.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th February 2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:33 AM   #20
cullennz
Banned

I suspect you don't know much about the Vatican and the church hierarchy. It's all men in charge and mostly men that work in the church.

We know it was men who looked the other way with the pedophiles. I'll keep an open mind that some women in the nunneries were guilty of covering up sexual abuse.

But lest you think I don't think any women in the Catholic Church have awful sins on their consciences, that's not true. They very much have a history of abusing (though not sexually) unwed mothers and maybe others, especially orphans.

God wants people to suffer in order to grow is an actual Catholic tenet.
And I don't think you know much about nuns if you think they don't have a hirearchy and don't have leaders and actually talk

Last edited by cullennz; 6th February 2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:42 AM   #21
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And I don't think you know much about nuns if you think they don't have a hirearchy and don't have leaders and actually talk
I didn't say they didn't have a hierarchy, I asked for evidence they knew about abuse of nuns by priests and looked the other way.

But my point was the two hierarchies aren't directly intertwined. I could be wrong but I don't believe the nuns have any positions in the Vatican.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:50 AM   #22
cullennz
Banned

I didn't say they didn't have a hierarchy, I asked for evidence they knew about abuse of nuns by priests and looked the other way.

But my point was the two hierarchies aren't directly intertwined. I could be wrong but I don't believe the nuns have any positions in the Vatican.
Fair enough

We will go with your theory till proven otherwise.

No one in any nunnery at a high position noticed anything untoward, or the many other workers for the Vatican and no nuns said anything to any one.

Bit of a pointless argument tbf, given the priests were the scum and the church are the ones who seem to be incapable of thinking cops might be handy.
Old 6th February 2019, 05:43 AM   #23
baron

You'd have to be a brave man to abuse a Catholic nun. Maybe catch them off-guard when they're getting their breath back after beating a starving orphan.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 06:13 AM   #24
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I'm looking forward to The Big Dog's comments on this.

TBD? Your thoughts? How are you gonna "Oy Vey" this?
The catholic church is no more likely to have a group of nuns as sex slaves than any other group....
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 06:37 AM   #25
Armitage72
Philosopher

Hasn't this been going on for a really long time? I vaguely recall reading about nunneries centuries ago that were plagued by "incubi" that cunningly assumed the form of the priests who were in charge.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 06:38 AM   #26
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Apparently the Church uses the Shakesperean meaning of 'nunnery'...

But seriously, this is disgusting. I was baptised Catholic, and so far I've never taken the effort to have myself stricken from the baptismal records, because it's a lot of hassle and I don't believe it really has any effect anyway... but perhaps I should make the effort.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:02 AM   #27
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Reputational risk is big in any organization. Circling the wagons is standard operating procedure for every institution or corporation on the planet.

Maybe the issues at Michigan State don’t happen if a female was in charge. Oh, wait....

These are bad men doing bad things and covering them up. Just like there can be bad men or bad women in any institution covering up bad behavior.

Shouldn’t be a gender thing. Shouldn’t even be a religion thing. These folks clearly aren’t living the faith they profess. Neither are teachers or doctors etc.

I wish organizations would deal with bad people and not first protect the image of their entity.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 07:52 AM   #28
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Clearly it is blaming the victims for not pursing this aggressively through secular authorities.
Old 6th February 2019, 08:02 AM   #29
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Keep advocating clerical celibacy, RCC. What could go wrong?
Old 6th February 2019, 08:13 AM   #30
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'm still amazed that the RCC hasn't decided to enter the 17th century and allow women to be priests and priests to marry. It would be a big step forward for them, would certainly help curb this sort of devilish acts, and make the church more accessible. There's literally no downside unless you think it will reduce your power as a man, which is ridiculous.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 09:00 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

School teachers.
Old 6th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk from the slaves?
Old 6th February 2019, 09:35 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk from the slaves?
They can get married and have regular slaves like the rest of us. Sheesh.
Old 6th February 2019, 11:05 AM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

They pretty much do in the RCC.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 11:26 AM   #35
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Unfortunately, it is all too believable.

After all, there have been numerous and well documented cases of sexual abuse which have been public knowledge for over 30 years now. And yet, in all of this time the Catholic Church still has continually failed and/or refused to get their minds about this issue even though this is the type of issue that will readily hurt (and possibly kill) the Catholic Church itself.
Old 6th February 2019, 11:30 AM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

duplicate

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th February 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #37
Thor 2
Philosopher

Lol, what point are you trying to make here?

Also, are you a Catholic? Or are you just a run of the mill religious apologist?

Irritating isn't it?

Some peoples line of argument is just to say "But, but, but, these other people are doing the same thing ..... so there". The effect is to lessen the perception of the deed being done being so severe.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:15 PM   #38
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm still amazed that the RCC hasn't decided to enter the 17th century and allow women to be priests and priests to marry. It would be a big step forward for them, would certainly help curb this sort of devilish acts, and make the church more accessible. There's literally no downside unless you think it will reduce your power as a man, which is ridiculous.
Early 16th century if you include Luther, who still thought of himself as a faithful Catholic monk when he began disputing clerical vows of celibacy. He didn’t marry for a couple of decades either, so he was not simply finding himself an excuse.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy