IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags islam , koran

Closed Thread
Old 14th October 2017, 12:55 PM   #121
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Every time I hear some daft white woman has converted to Islam I wish I could have saved her.
Only white women?

edited to add: ninja’d by Donn, I see.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 14th October 2017 at 01:01 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 12:56 PM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
This is grotesque and shameful. C'mon. Can't you hold your corner without clichéd gumpf?
No its not. Whether you like it or not, it is demonstrably true. Do I think people that come from Arab nations are inherently dumber? I do not. I do believe however that they are intellectually stifled by their religion.
Old 14th October 2017, 03:12 PM   #123
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

You missed off the end of the verse which makes clear he was referring to his disciples.

Luke 14
26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple
So his dicta can only be applied to 12 individuals? It is to larf. It does say quite plainly "any man." Whether the comment applies to only 12 or to many, it is a cruel statement regardless.

Last edited by Peregrinus; 14th October 2017 at 03:13 PM.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 05:44 PM   #124
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

[quote=Scorpion;12033785]You may be rightQUOTE]

I am right all i say.

Islam is the only divine religion.

Islam has always been a religion since the first people.

But people changed their religion in history and gave names like Hinduism and Christianity.

And this change has always been done in the direction of Spiritualism/Paganism, polytheism.

Ghosts, polytheism (Hindus saying "333 in 1", you are saying "3 in 1", holy people, asceticism, fakirism...

Real Islam, real religion is only in Quran now.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:09 PM   #125
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
flew to the heavens on winged horses
No, there is no such thing in the Qur'an.

Real Islam is only in Quran:

https://www.hipforums.com/forum/topi...only-in-quran/

According to the Qur'an, you can not even slap anyone.

What makes you think I did not read the books you mentioned?

You are who has not read enough scientific books.

<snip>

Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rule 0. (Also, I fixed the quote tags.
I'm nice like that.)

Last edited by Loss Leader; 14th October 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:21 PM   #126
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Emre_1974tr;12034311]
You may be rightQUOTE]

I am right all i say.

But people changed their religion in history and gave names like Hinduism and Christianity.

And this change has always been done in the direction of Spiritualism/Paganism, polytheism.

Ghosts, polytheism (Hindus saying "333 in 1", you are saying "3 in 1", holy people, asceticism, fakirism...

Get off the kool-aid. All Religions think they are right and divine. I've yet to hear one that wasn't nonsense including Islam...no especially Islam. Try science, it works.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:23 PM   #127
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post
Islam only dates from the 7th Century CE. Please try to have your statements show some connection to reality.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:28 PM   #128
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Islam saying try science. Are you Muslim?
Old 14th October 2017, 06:29 PM   #129
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Islam only dates from the 7th Century CE. Please try to have your statements show some connection to reality.
No, Islam has been there since the first people. Even before people have.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:31 PM   #130
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Allah always sends the same religion.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:36 PM   #131
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Emre_1974tr;12034327]
flew to the heavens on winged horses QUOTE]

Get a job...get a life. Learn something real...not an absurd mythology based on the rantings of a murderous pedophile from the 7the century. Pay attention to humans who actually study chemistry, biology, physics and math. Start treating women as equals. Stop beating your women as the Koran instructs you to. Enough with honor killings Put sharia law in the toilet where it belongs. Draw human characters....play music..sing songs...join the 21st century.

Try Plato, Marcus Aurelius, David Hume, Spinoza, Thomas Paine Thomas Jefferson Tolstoy or Christopher Hitchens or Salman Rushdie. Get your head out of the Dark Ages. Learn something useful, not mythical.

You and the world will be better for it.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 14th October 2017 at 08:57 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 06:38 PM   #132
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Islam saying try science. Are you Muslim?
Yeah right. I don't believe in fairy tales written by a pedophile.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:42 PM   #133
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

flew to the heavens on winged horses

You are an arrogant and ignorant idiot.
And read Quran.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 14th October 2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:42 PM   #134
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nonsense. I thought fundamentalist Christians were batcrap crazy, but this is worse.
Old 14th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #135
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Emre_1974tr;12034367]

And read Quran.
You said the Koran doesn’t say that Muhammad didn't fly on winged horses.
Quote:
Followers of all Islamic denominations unanimously agree on the occurrence of the Prophet’s night journey to Heaven. It is explicitly mentioned in the holy Quran the book which all Muslims agree upon:

سُبْحَانَ الَّذِي أَسْرَىٰ بِعَبْدِهِ لَيْلًا مِّنَ الْمَسْجِدِ الْحَرَامِ إِلَى الْمَسْجِدِ الْأَقْصَى الَّذِي بَارَكْنَا حَوْلَهُ لِنُرِيَهُ مِنْ آيَاتِنَا ۚ إِنَّهُ هُوَ السَّمِيعُ الْبَصِيرُ
Exalted is He who took His Servant by night from al-Masjid al-Haram to al-Masjid al-Aqsa, whose surroundings We have blessed, to show him of Our signs. Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Seeing. (17:1) https://www.quora.com/Muslims-Do-you...a-winged-horse
It's one thing to preach...it's another to lie for your God. Koo Koo for Coco Puffs.

Last edited by acbytesla; 14th October 2017 at 06:56 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 08:41 PM   #136
Hungry81
Master Poster

Lies. Islam is a copy of a copy of a watered down religion (Judaisim). Islam took the same mythological war god the Jews and then the Christians worshipped and modified it further for their own purposes. Now you are trying to modify it further. Do you see yourself as a prophet? Are you trying to start your own islamic branch/sect/cult?

Last edited by Hungry81; 14th October 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 09:12 PM   #137
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Allah always sends the same religion.
I have done no such thing.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 09:44 PM   #138
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I have done no such thing.
What will the Emperor say?
Old 14th October 2017, 09:58 PM   #139
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

What will the Emperor say?
Not much. He was too busy falling into the Death Star reactor shaft that was installed in his throne room.

Funny that.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:48 PM   #140
Scorpion
Illuminator

[quote=Emre_1974tr;12034311]
You may be rightQUOTE]

I am right all i say.

Have you actually read the Upanishads? They pre date the Quran by a couple of thousand years, and they say we are all divine.
Give your mind a rest from the evil lies in the Quran and read the Upanishads. They are truly spiritual.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 14th October 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 10:53 PM   #141
Scorpion
Illuminator

What the hell are you talking about. Not only does the Quran tell men to beat their wives. It says strike the necks of unbelievers (meaning behead them) and cut off their finger tips also.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 11:44 PM   #142
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

This is false. Wife-beating is condoned in the quran.

https://quran.com/4/34
Quote:
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
I wonder if Emre understands how dishonest he is making Muslims look.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th October 2017, 11:49 PM   #143
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Your religion is just like all the rest, made up by people. Momo was as much of a whacko as Jesus.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:09 AM   #144
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Also not true. Please quote the Surah, or admit you were wrong, and that this injunction is actually in the Hadiths.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 02:22 AM   #145
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Not much. He was too busy falling into the Death Star reactor shaft that was installed in his throne room.

Funny that.
There was a quote for a mesh over the top but there was a dispute about the cost. I told them to put some plywood over it until it was sorted out but you know how it is.
Andy_Ross is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 05:14 AM   #146
David Mo
Philosopher

I would like to know where Jesus said anything like the cruel verses of Muhammad.
Do you know the curse of Capernaun, Bethsaida and Chorazim?
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 05:27 AM   #147
Donn
Philosopher

Perhaps this is why the Arabs have invented almost nothing.
.. is
.. demonstrably true.
?

Really? Do I have to talk about breadth of brush?

Do I think people that come from Arab nations are inherently dumber? I do not. I do believe however that they are intellectually stifled by their religion.
Wherein you add some nuance, which was needed. Personally, I have a real problem talking about entire peoples as category X or Y. It never ends well.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th October 2017, 07:41 AM   #148
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
.. is
?

Really? Do I have to talk about breadth of brush?

Wherein you add some nuance, which was needed. Personally, I have a real problem talking about entire peoples as category X or Y. It never ends well.
I too have a problem with that. I probably should have used the term Muslim as opposed to Arab. As the problem is the ideology and has nothing to do with race.

It saddens me that people living in the light of discovery are still promoting legend and mythology. There is something fundamentally wrong in the Muslim world that has led to a dearth of modern education and critical thinking. And their society and the world has paid a price for that in possible inventions and poverty.
Old 15th October 2017, 05:10 PM   #149
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

No, nobody will beat anyone according to Quran.

http://www.quran-islam.org/articles/...n_(P1179).html

Peace
Old 15th October 2017, 05:15 PM   #150
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

"Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but he was one inclining toward truth, a Muslim [submitting to Allah ]. And he was not of the polytheists." (Ali Imran 67.)
Old 15th October 2017, 05:31 PM   #151
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Peace
Did you write your own book? As you sure as hell aren't talking about the Quran as it specifically tells husbands to beat arrogant or disobedient wives. It orders you to kill apostates. The problem is you're not talking about Islam. But that's OK, most Christians don't know what's in their bible either.
Old 15th October 2017, 05:36 PM   #152
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

"Abraham was neither a Jew nor a Christian, but he was one inclining toward truth, a Muslim [submitting to Allah ]. And he was not of the polytheists." (Ali Imran 67.)
You don't know the Old Testament either. Your posts are Koo koo.
Old 15th October 2017, 08:23 PM   #153
Hungry81
Master Poster

Abraham was not a muslim. Islam was made up centuries after Abraham was supposed to have lived. Your religous and historical knowledge sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 02:06 AM   #154
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Peace
No, only if you shop around for one of 10 possible meanings of the problematic word, and choose one that you think helps you.
Moreover, that verse only applies to a husband beating his wife, and is by no means an injunction against any other form of person-to-person violence.
You said 'slap' in your original post. None of what you linked to here refers to slapping either.

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:47 PM   #155
Wolrab
Illuminator

I'm pretty sure both Abraham and Mohamed are Mormons.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 04:12 PM   #156
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
I'm pretty sure both Abraham and Mohamed are Mormons.
I think Muhammad helped Joseph Smith find those gold plates.
Old 16th October 2017, 04:26 PM   #157
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

The Qur'an is only allowed to defend itself. Everyone is free to believe in what they want and this is the goal of the world of examination. To confront yourself.

My Turkish article:

http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...faya-izin.html
Old 16th October 2017, 04:45 PM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The Qur'an is only allowed to defend itself. Everyone is free to believe in what they want and this is the goal of the world of examination. To confront yourself.

My Turkish article:

http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...faya-izin.html
Yep, and we're not interested in reading silly mythologies.

You don't even bother to actually defend your claims at a skeptics forum. This is the place where you present a claim and present evidence to support it and openly see if your claim stands up to scrutiny. Not send us elsewhere on a wild goose chase.

Defend your claim vigorously or be gone.
Old 18th October 2017, 05:20 PM   #159
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

The Miracles Continue ...

http://www.quranmiracles.com/2011/03/like-locusts/
Old 18th October 2017, 05:42 PM   #160
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Is this the limit of your participation on this forum? Just posting links to nonsense articles about a medieval mythology?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy