IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags islam , koran

Closed Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 04:11 AM   #321
Donn
Philosopher

If we could talk to the animals
they'd say
get off our planet
let us live another day
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 03:04 PM   #322
Thor 2
Philosopher

I was trying to get an answer from Emre some time ago about the praying when facing Mecca thing and din't get an answer.

Do you think praying in the direction of Mecca is the right thing to do Emre?
Old 28th October 2017, 04:02 PM   #323
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I was trying to get an answer from Emre some time ago about the praying when facing Mecca thing and din't get an answer.

No answer for you. (soup nazi)

To be serious, that is a strange superstitious nonsense. Why would an omnipotent gawd really care which way one might be pointing?

Why does christian gawd not care?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 04:09 PM   #324
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

And my challenge remains. I will accept god, allah, vishnu, odin, thor whatever right when some crank turns up with actual testable evidence for the existence of any of them. Thousands of years and frak all to date.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 05:34 PM   #325
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Sweet! An origami sun that's haring-off towards a decision.
Maybe the sun is one of those paper fortune tellers.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 08:50 AM   #326
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
No answer for you. (soup nazi)

To be serious, that is a strange superstitious nonsense. Why would an omnipotent gawd really care which way one might be pointing?

Why does christian gawd not care?
He's not omipointent.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 08:55 AM   #327
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Maybe the sun is one of those paper fortune tellers.
I recall those, from when I was knee-high to a grasshopper!
Old 29th October 2017, 11:14 AM   #328
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Sweet! An origami sun that's haring-off towards a decision. How much more convincing can the True Qur'an be!
The advantages of simple origami are two fold.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 03:10 PM   #329
Donn
Philosopher

Ha!
Old 29th October 2017, 05:49 PM   #330
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

People tend to head for the sky, for the stars, or for something else.

Giving a direction prevents it.

it will reveal your side.

It also prevents confusion in the prayers performed in the collective.

Apart from that, visit to the pilgrimage is also requested here.

There is also a physical healing structure.

2:177 Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west, but piety is one who acknowledges God and the Last day, and the controllers, and the book, and the prophets, and he gives money out of love to the near relatives, and the orphans, and the needy and the wayfarer, and those who ask, and to free the slaves, and he observes the Contact prayer, and contributes towards betterment; and those who keep their pledges when they make a pledge, and those who are patient in the face of good and bad and during persecution. These are the ones who have been truthful, and they are the righteous
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 07:47 AM   #331
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Emre_1974tr View Post

Apart from that, visit to the pilgrimage is also requested here.

There is also a physical healing structure.

2:177 Piety is not to turn your faces towards the east and the west, but piety is one who acknowledges God and the Last day, and the controllers, and the book, and the prophets, and he gives money out of love to the near relatives, and the orphans, and the needy and the wayfarer, and those who ask, and to free the slaves, and he observes the Contact prayer, and contributes towards betterment; and those who keep their pledges when they make a pledge, and those who are patient in the face of good and bad and during persecution. These are the ones who have been truthful, and they are the righteous
So, then! Praying towards Mecca is cultural and not "divinely" mandated; and practicing the Golden Rule, found in myriad cultures, is to be commended. Possibly we're getting somewhere with this.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 01:27 PM   #332
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

I have said that Islam has existed since the first people.

Abraham, Noah, Jesus, Muhammad are all prophets of Islam. There is only one holy religion.

As people changed religion and the book, the prophet and the book were sent again from God.

The Kaaba is also the first Islamic temple in history.

Quran 3:96. "Lo! the first Sanctuary appointed for mankind was that at Mecca, a blessed place, a guidance to the peoples;"

After, People degenerated and changed the Kabe and prayer.

Through the Prophet Muhammad, the Qur'an came and Islam was once again transformed into its original form.

The Kaaba is purified from idols.

In short, as people and other beings changed their path of salvation, Islam came again.
2:125 We have made the sanctuary to be a model for the people and a security. Utilize the place of Abraham to reach out. We had entrusted to Abraham and Ishmael, "You shall purify My sanctuary for those who visit, those who are devoted, and for those who kneel and prostrate."

22:26 We have appointed to Abraham the location of the sanctuary: "Do not set up anyone with Me, and purify My sanctuary for those who will partake, and those who will enforce, and those who kneel and prostrate."
Emre_1974tr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 02:26 PM   #333
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Emre,

There are forums where your repetitions of nonsense would be welcome. In this setting, repeating patent nonsense - indeed repetitions of repetitions - remains nonsense. You are convincing no one but yourself. The common term for that is "delusion."
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 03:22 PM   #334
Thor 2
Philosopher

OK, so I take it from this you are on board with the idea that you should pray facing Mecca. I have another question for you then.

In French Polynesia, in the Southern Pacific, is a location that is diametrically opposite Mecca on our planet. All directions are equidistant to Mecca if you follow the curvature of the Earth.

Should you then pray horizontally in any direction? Or should you pray downwards as this is the most direct route?
Old 30th October 2017, 04:35 PM   #335
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

In French Polynesia, in the Southern Pacific, is a location that is diametrically opposite Mecca on our planet. All directions are equidistant to Mecca if you follow the curvature of the Earth.

Should you then pray horizontally in any direction? Or should you pray downwards as this is the most direct route?
Pray horizontally in any direction.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:34 PM   #336
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

So God is in Mecca?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 05:50 PM   #337
dropzone
Master Poster

No Hans, I am Emre Karaköse.

Peace
And I'm Keyser Söze. Peace!

ETA: Apologies to anyone, er, everyone who used this joke first. Thread was TLDR.

Last edited by dropzone; 30th October 2017 at 05:51 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th October 2017, 06:16 PM   #338
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

http://www.quranmiracles.com/2011/03...oat-in-orbits/

Peace
Old 31st October 2017, 03:08 AM   #339
Hungry81
Master Poster

Www.Space.com

Peace.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 03:19 PM   #340
sackett
Philosopher

A frequent muslimist yell, excuse me, exhortation is "Face east! Face toward Mecca!"

The first question that occurs to an infidel is, "What if you're east of Mecca?"

And some moslemoids will yell back, "Face east around the world until your prayers get to Mecca!"

Yes they do.

But religionists are constantly concerned with Great Matters of that sort.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st October 2017, 05:34 PM   #341
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

No answer to he question of Gods location? Is he in mecca?
Old 1st November 2017, 09:45 AM   #342
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
No answer to he question of Gods location? Is he in mecca?
'Es not in me car!
Old 1st November 2017, 03:24 PM   #343
Thor 2
Philosopher

OK, so the prayer moves around the circle of the Earth so when it hits Mecca, is going in the opposite direction to which it started. Prayers are effected by gravity then?
Old 1st November 2017, 05:20 PM   #344
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I may be treading on thin ice, but that just seems so “troll-y”.

Unless it was meant tongue-in-cheek.

Regardless, that quote seems almost worthy of a sig line.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 05:24 PM   #345
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Big Bang

47- With power did We construct heaven. Verily, We are expanding it. (51- The Dispersing, 47)

21:30 Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the Earth were meshed together then We ripped them apart? And then We made of water everything living? Would they still not believe?

Big Crunch

21:104 On the day when We roll up the heavens like a scroll of books is rolled up. As We initiated the first creation, so shall We return it. It is a promise of Ours that We will do this.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:02 AM   #346
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

1. No, that is not a good description of the Big Bang. I certainly would not read it and think "that could be referring to the Big Bang"

2. I know religious people used to believe that heaven was in the sky, but now we know what's really up there I thought they'd decided it was somewhere else entirely?

3. It's been 20 years since it was discovered that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, not decelerating as previously expected. The Big Crunch is no longer considered a likely possible ending for the universe.
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:11 AM   #347
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Big Bang

47- With power did We construct heaven. Verily, We are expanding it. (51- The Dispersing, 47)

21:30 Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the Earth were meshed together then We ripped them apart? And then We made of water everything living? Would they still not believe?

Big Crunch

21:104 On the day when We roll up the heavens like a scroll of books is rolled up. As We initiated the first creation, so shall We return it. It is a promise of Ours that We will do this.
Sure. your god extended heaven.

Did he/she/it/housecat get planning permission?

Old 3rd November 2017, 01:34 AM   #348
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
1. No, that is not a good description of the Big Bang. I certainly would not read it and think "that could be referring to the Big Bang"

2. I know religious people used to believe that heaven was in the sky, but now we know what's really up there I thought they'd decided it was somewhere else entirely?

3. It's been 20 years since it was discovered that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, not decelerating as previously expected. The Big Crunch is no longer considered a likely possible ending for the universe.
1- I just gave you an example. There are many more verses related to Big bang and expansion.

2- No, heaven is not paradise. Heaven =universe

Heavens = universes

https://www.hipforums.com/forum/topi...lord-indallah/

The Qur'an offers a multi-universe model.

But it is not infinite.

Seven universes, for example.

My Turkish writing about this subject:

http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...revrenler.html

3- The world of science again concentrated on Big Crunch todays.
Old 3rd November 2017, 01:56 AM   #349
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

1- I just gave you an example. There are many more verses related to Big bang and expansion.
Unless at least one of them is a much better description of the Big Bang, the number of such references is irrelevant.

My memory from my reading of the Quran a few years ago is that it's essentially a few pages of ranting and unsupported assertions repeated over and over and over again.

Quote:
2- No, heaven is not paradise. Heaven =universe
The heavens originally just meant the sky, and heaven became the name of the place where the gods lived because the gods were usually believed to live in the sky. Deciding to go back to the original meaning of the word in order to invent a link between religious doctrine and modern astronomy is disingenuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven#Islam

Quote:
3- The world of science again concentrated on Big Crunch todays.
Sorry, I can make no sense of this.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:06 AM   #350
Donn
Philosopher

Of course there are. More for every occasion, foible, contrivance and fail.
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:12 AM   #351
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Unless at least one of them is a much better description of the Big Bang, the number of such references is irrelevant.

My memory from my reading of the Quran a few years ago is that it's essentially a few pages of ranting and unsupported assertions repeated over and over and over again.

The heavens originally just meant the sky, and heaven became the name of the place where the gods lived because the gods were usually believed to live in the sky. Deciding to go back to the original meaning of the word in order to invent a link between religious doctrine and modern astronomy is disingenuous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven#Islam

Sorry, I can make no sense of this.
1- Every sentence is very clear. And when the book is read as a whole, the picture is much more beautiful. Not just our universe, but all the universes were created with big bang.

2- No, it always meant the universe. But until now you have misinterpreted with the influence of books such as the incomplete and false Bible and Torah, and the influence of the clergy.

According to the Qur'an, there are more than one universe. And some of these universes also contain the hereafter, the paradise and the hell.

Especially the Hereafter universe has different physics laws.

God is not in any universe.

He made all the universes out there.

That is why all created creatures are separate from Allah. Nothing is part of Him.

Heavens = Universes

3- Today, the science world thinks more, that the day of Judgment will come with big crunch.

Not only our universe, but other universes will also end with big crunch, according to Quran.

Only the hereafter universe is immortal.

Last edited by Emre_1974tr; 3rd November 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:17 AM   #352
Scorpion
Illuminator

The big bang is that there was only hydrogen from the beginning. Stars formed out of the hydrogen and lived and died over billions of years. all heavy atoms that created the earth were ejected into space when those stars died.
So the heavens and earth were never joined. The earth was only created billions of years after the big bang.

Also the bit about every living thing being made from water is stolen from the bible's Genesis.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:21 AM   #353
Scorpion
Illuminator

1- Every sentence is very clear. And when the book is read as a whole, the picture is much more beautiful. Not just our universe, but all the universes were created with big bang.

2- No, it always meant the universe. But until now you have misinterpreted with the influence of books such as the incomplete and false Bible and Torah, and the influence of the clergy.

According to the Qur'an, there are more than one universe. And some of these universes also contain the hereafter, the paradise and the hell.

That is why all created creatures are separate from Allah. Nothing is part of Him.

Heavens = Universes

3- Today, the science world thinks more, that the day of Judgment will come with big crunch.

Not only our universe, but other universes will also end with big crunch, according to Quran.

Only the hereafter universe is immortal.
I believe the current theory is the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate and the consequences will be that the stars will all burn out and there will be nothing left but a black empty lifeless universe.

The idea of a big crunch is probably stolen from Hindu texts.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:33 AM   #354
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

1- Every sentence is very clear. And when the book is read as a whole, the picture is much more beautiful.
I found it a very ugly book. Lots of unpleasant ranting.

Quote:
Not just our universe, but all the universes were created with big bang.
Unsupported assertion.

Quote:
It originally meant the sky, according to linguists and historians.

Quote:
According to the Qur'an, there are more than one universe. And some of these universes also contain the hereafter, the paradise and the hell

Heavens = Universes.
Unsupported assertions.

Quote:
No it doesn't, that ending of the universe has been pretty much ruled out by the discovery that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. And science says nothing about a day of judgement.

Quote:
Unsupported assertion.

Last edited by Pixel42; 3rd November 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:44 AM   #355
Scorpion
Illuminator

Name a verse that says anything about other universes, and how they will end.

The word used is probably heavens, not universes.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:22 PM   #356
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Name a verse that says anything about other universes, and how they will end.

The word used is probably heavens, not universes.
http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...revrenler.html

Translate my article.

In the Qur'an, the skies, heavens, spaces means universes.

I told with proofs.

They have different laws of physics.

Except for the Hereafter universe, all the other universes will end with big crunch.

Last edited by Emre_1974tr; 3rd November 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:29 PM   #357
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Bible and Hindu texts also have many flaws in this regard.

But the Koran always gives the right information in a perfect way
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:33 PM   #358
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Then why do you have to change the words to get it to say what you want?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:18 PM   #359
Scorpion
Illuminator

Bible and Hindu texts also have many flaws in this regard.

But the Koran always gives the right information in a perfect way
The Quran steals from the bible wholesale. The Jewish myths of Jonah and the whale, and Noah's ark, and the parting of the red sea are all in the Quran quoted as historical facts.

There is also the verse 54.1 that says the moon was split in two.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 4th November 2017, 07:13 AM   #360
Emre_1974tr
Graduate Poster

Just the opposite.

Your fake Bibles And Torah are stolen from the Holy Book.

The Qur'an is original and contains the words of Allah.

The only real holy book of ours now is the Qur'an.

The Qur'an describes the true state of events.

For example, the Noah Flood was regional. And He punished a single nation.

My Turkish writing about this subject:

http://emre1974tr.blogspot.com.tr/20...k-topluma.html

54.1 does not say that the moon is cut in half.

54:1 The moment drew near, and the moon was split.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy