IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th December 2018, 12:19 PM   #121
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What if it weren't religious belief, but a strong belief in something else? Something irrational, with little evidence in favor but much evidence against, something that has tons of anecdotes and cultural expectations pushed upon every member of society from birth onward, something deemed by most cultures to be supremely important and something so widely believed it's taken for granted to be real, and those who say otherwise meet with criticism, scorn, and outrage? I speak, of course, of the concept of romantic love. It fits all the same descriptions of religious belief. It's just as irrational. Yet do we call "mad" the people who believe in it? On the contrary-- most are more likely to call mad those who don't believe in it.
This is an interesting point. I think we often do call people in love "mad" because their behaviour is often unreasonable. I think in many cases, most actually, the two are the same and relatively benign. I think one difference is that religion, or love of god, is almost never unrequited whereas human love often is which can lead to some pretty extreme behaviour.

People will do really unreasonable things to show their love for god or other humans. They will often obsess, they will seek out ways to show their devotion, etc. For the vast majority it is no big deal in either case but for some it leads to really strange, even insane, behaviour including stalking, violence, even murder.

Religion isn't the only behaviour humans have that is part of mental illness, it is one of many. Anything that has us obsessing or thinking irrationally to an onlooker would fall into the category. I think your point is a very valid one.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 12:21 PM   #122
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Money has demonstrable utility.
And so does religion, although more so in the past. There has never been a U.S. president who didn't claim to be Christian. Religious belief in the past, and today, definitely had/has its advantages.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 12:41 PM   #123
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
This is an interesting point. I think we often do call people in love "mad" because their behaviour is often unreasonable. I think in many cases, most actually, the two are the same and relatively benign. I think one difference is that religion, or love of god, is almost never unrequited whereas human love often is which can lead to some pretty extreme behaviour.

People will do really unreasonable things to show their love for god or other humans. They will often obsess, they will seek out ways to show their devotion, etc. For the vast majority it is no big deal in either case but for some it leads to really strange, even insane, behaviour including stalking, violence, even murder.

Religion isn't the only behaviour humans have that is part of mental illness, it is one of many. Anything that has us obsessing or thinking irrationally to an onlooker would fall into the category. I think your point is a very valid one.

True. It's annoying that some think pointing to something else and saying "Hey look at this. Thats crazy too isn't it?", some how lessens the craziness of religion.
Old 25th December 2018, 01:28 PM   #124
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The difference is society doesn't make excuses and apologetics for crazy that isn't religious.
Old 25th December 2018, 01:35 PM   #125
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
True. It's annoying that some think pointing to something else and saying "Hey look at this. Thats crazy too isn't it?", some how lessens the craziness of religion.
True. Two (or more) crazies don't make a sane.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 01:57 PM   #126
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The difference is society doesn't make excuses and apologetics for crazy that isn't religious.
Larger numbers in societies make excuses and apologetics for religions because larger numbers in societies are religious (at least have been). Every crazy has it's believers that make excuses and apologetics however.

What I don’t understand is why some claiming to be atheists make special pleading excuses and apologetics for theism that it should be treated as a special kind of crazy that deserves different/better treatment than other crazies.

Last edited by ynot; 25th December 2018 at 02:32 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 03:52 PM   #127
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

There has never been a U.S. president who didn't claim to be Christian.
Jefferson.
Also, the utility of claiming to be Christian regardless of the truth of the claim is very different from the utility of being Christian.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 03:55 PM   #128
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
What I don’t understand is why some claiming to be atheists make special pleading excuses and apologetics for theism that it should be treated as a special kind of crazy that deserves different/better treatment than other crazies.
Not all irrational beliefs are the result of clinical, medical insanity. Thorazine and Haldol won't cure most religious beliefs, because the belief isn't the result of neurological dysfunction.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 04:36 PM   #129
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Not all irrational beliefs are the result of clinical, medical insanity. Thorazine and Haldol won't cure most religious beliefs, because the belief isn't the result of neurological dysfunction.
I didn't say they were. I use “mentally unhealthy” as being the unhealthy use of an otherwise healthy brain, not necessarily a medically unhealthy brain. I've never said "medically unhealthy". The unhealthy use of a healthy brain usually results in unhealthy actions and consequences.

Last edited by ynot; 25th December 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 25th December 2018, 04:38 PM   #130
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Also, the utility of claiming to be Christian regardless of the truth of the claim is very different from the utility of being Christian.
That was the point. Without at least claiming to be a believer you will not get elected president. Being religious has a "demonstrable utility."
Old 25th December 2018, 04:40 PM   #131
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Jefferson.
From Wiki:

Quote:
He was a Christian deist because he saw Christianity as the highest expression of natural religion and Jesus as an incomparably great moral teacher. He was not an orthodox Christian because he rejected, among other things, the doctrines that Jesus was the promised Messiah and the incarnate Son of God.
Old 25th December 2018, 05:06 PM   #132
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

That was the point. Without at least claiming to be a believer you will not get elected president. Being religious has a "demonstrable utility."
Claiming to be a believer when you're not is not "being religious". That's pretending to be religious.
Old 25th December 2018, 05:11 PM   #133
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

From Wiki:
From the Thomas Jefferson Foundation:

Quote:
Jefferson rejected the notion of the Trinity and Jesus’ divinity. He rejected Biblical miracles, the resurrection, the atonement, and original sin (believing that God could not fault or condemn all humanity for the sins of others, a gross injustice).10 In neither the eighteenth century nor today would most people consider a person with those views a “Christian.”
I kind of think of Christianity as the highest expression of natural religion, but that doesn't make me "a Christian atheist".

Last edited by kellyb; 25th December 2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 25th December 2018, 05:41 PM   #134
Thor 2
Philosopher

From the Thomas Jefferson Foundation:

I kind of think of Christianity as the highest expression of natural religion, but that doesn't make me "a Christian atheist".

Jainism gets my vote.
Old 25th December 2018, 05:47 PM   #135
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Claiming to be a believer when you're not is not "being religious". That's pretending to be religious.
Not arguing that point. Being religious has a benefit which is why people pretend to be religious just like a lot of gay people pretended to be straight because being straight had a lot of benefits over being gay.
Old 25th December 2018, 06:36 PM   #136
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Not arguing that point. Being religious has a benefit which is why people pretend to be religious just like a lot of gay people pretended to be straight because being straight had a lot of benefits over being gay.

These two social positions are not equivalent. For them to be equivalent the sentence should be written as

Quote:
Appearing to be religious has a benefit just as appearing to be straight has a lot of benefits.*
* or non-straight

Last edited by xterra; 25th December 2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added previously omitted word
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2018, 07:04 PM   #137
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Larger numbers in societies make excuses and apologetics for religions because larger numbers in societies are religious (at least have been). Every crazy has it's believers that make excuses and apologetics however.

You answered your own question.

Because people who think the baby Jeebus is really concerned with how consenting adults rub their genital together is a thing. People demanding that schools teach that the Earth was poofed into existence thousands of years after the Ancient Sumerians invented beer, glue, and sex toys is a thing. The basis for our foreign policy in Israel being based on it having to the play the Alderaan role in some Left Behind fan fiction is a thing. They have the numbers to get into positions of power and get support.

The crazy guy yelling a pigeons in the park doesn't.

"Religions isn't the only crazy" is missing the point. It's the crazy with power behind it.
Old 25th December 2018, 07:53 PM   #138
ynot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You answered your own question.

Because people who think the baby Jeebus is really concerned with how consenting adults rub their genital together is a thing. People demanding that schools teach that the Earth was poofed into existence thousands of years after the Ancient Sumerians invented beer, glue, and sex toys is a thing. The basis for our foreign policy in Israel being based on it having to the play the Alderaan role in some Left Behind fan fiction is a thing. They have the numbers to get into positions of power and get support.

The crazy guy yelling a pigeons in the park doesn't.

"Religions isn't the only crazy" is missing the point. It's the crazy with power behind it.
I'm not talking about atheists that hide their atheism or lie that they're theists to gain political or other positions of power. I'm talking about people like some atheists on this forum that argue atheists should treat theists with more "reverence" than believers of other crazy beliefs. They claim atheists must be "nice" to theists that tell us we're damaged goods, worthless, evil sinners, lesser humans that deserve to be tortured for eternity with much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Last edited by ynot; 25th December 2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 26th December 2018, 12:34 AM   #139
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
These two social positions are not equivalent. For them to be equivalent the sentence should be written as

* or non-straight
If you read what I wrote between the parts you highlighted it says exactly what you thought it should say.
Old 26th December 2018, 08:12 AM   #140
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
If you read what I wrote between the parts you highlighted it says exactly what you thought it should say.

Oops. You're correct. Sorry.
Old 26th December 2018, 08:28 AM   #141
David Mo
Philosopher

I think the fact that someone believes something weird doesn't make him mentally ill. I suppose you have to refer to a complete clinical profile to do so. If a person believes in the existence of fairies, but the rest of his behaviour is what we would all call normal, I don't see that he is "mad" or anything like that.

If it's just about laughing a little at someone, it's something else. It just depends on whether the thing is funny.

By using extreme comparisons we end up wasting the meaning of words.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2018, 11:23 AM   #142
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by David Mo View Post
I think the fact that someone believes something weird doesn't make him mentally ill.
I would agree. Much of the weirdness comes from ignorance. People simply don't know, or haven't thought about, why they believe what they believe. Add to that the fact that most people are indoctrinated with their religion when they are children and just get used to the weirdness over time.

However, Ken Ham would be one person I would think is mentally ill along with every other believer who has tried to explain away the contradictions between the bible and the scientific evidence. So somewhere between people who haven't thought about their beliefs and Ken Ham, there is a line dividing the ignorant from the crazy. Where exactly isn't all that important but I think it is very easy for people to cross that line in one direction, not so much in the other. Crazy people don't know they are crazy.

Last edited by qayak; 26th December 2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 26th December 2018, 11:26 AM   #143
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Penn Jillette was speaking of alien abduction enthusiast at a convention when he said it, but I think it applies here.

Quote:
There's no evidence that these people had any unusual experiences. They're just like all the rest of us with dreams and fantasies. We all need a little attention. That shrink is a scumbag bitch taking money from lonely, sad people in exchange for BS, but the abductees are just people who pathologically need a little attention like... well, like us. You want to stop all this alien BS? Just pay attention to the people around you. Say Hi. Humans are desperate for human contact. Let's not make our fellow travelers spend sixty bucks an hour to some pig-dog to be the center of attention. People shouldn't have to convince themselves they have a reptilian lover in outer space to get a few minutes of your time. P & T are siding with the creeps. We always have. We love them. We are them. There are enough earthly reasons to be interested in each other. The BS just gets in the way.
Swap around the nouns and this mentality I think holds true for most Woo. There's a few predatory people at the top, a handful of legit mentally ill people mostly in the margins... and a lot of normal, intelligent people who just want to belong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 26th December 2018 at 11:28 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 12:15 AM   #144
David Mo
Philosopher

I would agree. Much of the weirdness comes from ignorance. People simply don't know, or haven't thought about, why they believe what they believe. Add to that the fact that most people are indoctrinated with their religion when they are children and just get used to the weirdness over time.

However, Ken Ham would be one person I would think is mentally ill along with every other believer who has tried to explain away the contradictions between the bible and the scientific evidence. So somewhere between people who haven't thought about their beliefs and Ken Ham, there is a line dividing the ignorant from the crazy. Where exactly isn't all that important but I think it is very easy for people to cross that line in one direction, not so much in the other. Crazy people don't know they are crazy.
I would say that Ken Ham is a fanatic as many others that believe the unbelievable. Whether mentally ill or not, I don't know. But not every religious man is a fanatic.

What worries me is that I don't know any religious man that be able to make fun of his god. This is worryng.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2018, 12:51 AM   #145
Thor 2
Philosopher

I would say that Ken Ham is a fanatic as many others that believe the unbelievable. Whether mentally ill or not, I don't know. But not every religious man is a fanatic.

The only difference between Ken Ham, and the rest of that surprisingly high number of Americans who literally believe in Noah's ark, is he built a replica of it. If he is mentally ill so are the rest. Just not as dedicated.
Old 30th December 2018, 08:01 AM   #146
David Mo
Philosopher

The only difference between Ken Ham, and the rest of that surprisingly high number of Americans who literally believe in Noah's ark, is he built a replica of it. If he is mentally ill so are the rest. Just not as dedicated.
I mean, they're all fanatics. Is fanaticism madness? By what criteria do we define madness?
Old 30th December 2018, 08:39 AM   #147
Apathia
Philosopher

We have quite a few members here (including myself) who were at one time in their lives Theists.

Were any of you certifiably insane at that time?

(Yes. I realize that you were wise enough to eventually overcome it, and that you weren't of the sad sort that would drink the kool-ade.)

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 01:01 PM   #148
Thor 2
Philosopher

I mean, they're all fanatics. Is fanaticism madness? By what criteria do we define madness?

I feel like we've been over this many times, but the criteria is the evidence of being afflicted by delusion. That and possibly the embellishment of believing in something, when all the evidence points against the belief.

As has been said by others, many times, if one person has a personal delusion we lock him up. (Well maybe if self harm or harm to others results from it.) If many share a delusion that's organised religion and gets a free pass.

The suggestion that religious belief is a form of madness, has been made by some of our modern atheist champions, and the parallel that the condition spreads like a virus, by some also.
Old 30th December 2018, 01:14 PM   #149
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
We have quite a few members here (including myself) who were at one time in their lives Theists.

Were any of you certifiably insane at that time?

(Yes. I realize that you were wise enough to eventually overcome it, and that you weren't of the sad sort that would drink the kool-ade.)

I was only afflicted until the age of 16, but yes, I think I may have been nuts for a while. It certainly caused me a lot of grief.

As with so many other things it is a matter of degree. Few would argue that those who self flagellate, and/or get themselves nailed to crosses, are in full possession of their minds, but what of those that say a few rosaries as penance?

A matter of degree. A bit nuts, or plain bonkers.
Old 30th December 2018, 04:12 PM   #150
Apathia
Philosopher

I was only afflicted until the age of 16, but yes, I think I may have been nuts for a while. It certainly caused me a lot of grief.

As with so many other things it is a matter of degree. Few would argue that those who self flagellate, and/or get themselves nailed to crosses, are in full possession of their minds, but what of those that say a few rosaries as penance?

A matter of degree. A bit nuts, or plain bonkers.
I taught junior high for a few years. I think your affliction of "nuts" has another cause.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:33 PM   #151
Thor 2
Philosopher

Such penetrating perception Apathia. That you could glean this from my sparse writings is impressive. We are talking about the nuttiness of religion specifically however.
Old 30th December 2018, 10:37 PM   #152
ynot
Philosopher

Teachers tend to think they know everything . . .
Old 30th December 2018, 11:13 PM   #153
Apathia
Philosopher

Such penetrating perception Apathia. That you could glean this from my sparse writings is impressive. We are talking about the nuttiness of religion specifically however.
My bad. I apologize for the remark. It was uncalled for. I meant that if religion was driving you nuts at the time, it may have had more to do with the anxieties of youth. But never mind that. I take that back. I'm glad you escaped the nutty aspects of religion.

Author Unknown

Last edited by Apathia; 30th December 2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 30th December 2018, 11:22 PM   #154
Apathia
Philosopher

Teachers tend to think they know everything . . .
Your right. Arrogant of me. Perhaps religion has left me with some residual madness. Or I'm just a snowflake who can't call it like it is.

Sad thing is I know religious people who are intellectually, morally, and spiritually superior to me.

Author Unknown
Old 30th December 2018, 11:23 PM   #155
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Sad thing is I know religious people who are intellectually, morally, and spiritually superior to me.
That's just what they want you to think!
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 12:03 AM   #156
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Few would argue that those who self flagellate, and/or get themselves nailed to crosses, are in full possession of their minds, but what of those that say a few rosaries as penance?
What if they do it for kicks? It seems strange to say that if I get flogged for the sexual thrill of it I'm sane, but if I say some words while holding beads I'm insane.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:26 AM   #157
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

If I, as a non-believer, resided in a violently religious area that demanded total adherence to whatever god was worshipped there, and was confronted with some vigilante mob to question my loyalty to the same, would I be crazy to say I was not a believer?
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 12:27 AM   #158
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
If I, as a non-believer, resided in a violently religious area that demanded total adherence to whatever god was worshipped there, and was confronted with some vigilante mob to question my loyalty to the same, would I be crazy to say I was not a believer?
Or would you be crazy to reside there to begin with?
Old 31st December 2018, 12:28 AM   #159
David Mo
Philosopher

I feel like we've been over this many times, but the criteria is the evidence of being afflicted by delusion. That and possibly the embellishment of believing in something, when all the evidence points against the belief.
Then it seems to me that the world is full of madmen who believe in a thousand illusory fantasies. Negationists, racists, Stalinists, neofascists, trumpists and a lot of "ists". Whichever one of you has no false illusions... may throw the first stone. Even the belief that oneself is free of false illusions is a dellusion. Schopenhauer included.
Old 1st January 2019, 12:54 PM   #160
Thor 2
Philosopher

My bad. I apologize for the remark. It was uncalled for. I meant that if religion was driving you nuts at the time, it may have had more to do with the anxieties of youth. But never mind that. I take that back. I'm glad you escaped the nutty aspects of religion.

Thanks Apathia.

Mind you I'm sure I did not escape "the anxieties of youth" entirely either.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy