IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th February 2019, 11:12 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oxford anthropologists identify seven universal rules of morality

Quote:
In the largest cross-cultural survey ever conducted, a team of anthropologists from the University of Oxford has determined seven moral rules they suggest are universal. Based on the examination of ethnographic accounts from 60 different societies the research concludes that while morality may not necessarily be innate, every single culture analyzed seems to be ruled by the same moral precepts.

The seven moral rules seen in every culture studied ultimately come down to:

- Family values
- Group loyalty
- Reciprocity
- Bravery
- Respect
- Fairness
- Property rights
Link: https://newatlas.com/seven-universal...qLUOu-3gblSG7o
Old 19th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #2
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like something of an extension of moral foundations theory:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora...ve_foundations
Old 19th February 2019, 12:40 PM   #3
jrhowell
Muse

I notice that two things that I personally would consider moral behaviors did not make the universal cut: honesty and charity toward strangers.

These do appear to be things that the US political left and right disagree on.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 12:56 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
I notice that two things that I personally would consider moral behaviors did not make the universal cut: honesty and charity toward strangers.
I think that honesty will fall under reciprocity.

That could also be where charity towards strangers resides, or possibly under group loyalty when the group includes strangers.
Old 19th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

I think most, if not all, of these things are observable in primates. That certainly strengthens the case that they apply to humans. The catch is that our ability to plan for the future and think in abstractions means that any of these could be perverted for any purpose.

For example, just about all of these are displayed by mass cult suicides. Yet, I doubt anybody would seriously argue that Jonestown or Heaven's Gate were moral outcomes.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 01:16 PM   #6
jrhowell
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I think that honesty will fall under reciprocity.
Sure, if you value honesty then under reciprocity you will want to both give and get it. But not if honesty just isn't all that important to you.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That could also be where charity towards strangers resides, or possibly under group loyalty when the group includes strangers.
By strangers I meant to imply those who are not in your "group". Loyalty to your group implies that outsiders are second class citizens. Do you try to help them and work to include them in your group or do you treat them as enemies and take advantage of them for the betterment of your current group members?

Last edited by jrhowell; 19th February 2019 at 01:19 PM.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 01:24 PM   #7
sackett
Philosopher

Ever since the days of Bush Mark I*, I've wanted to hear a definition of "family values." I hope the anthropologists take a stab at it.

*AKA Whiney. Well, that's what Nancy Raygun called him.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #8
sphenisc
Philosopher

They seem like vague labels or categories rather than moral rules.
Old 19th February 2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"Group Loyalty" has been and continues to be responsible for a lot of really bad stuff.
Old 19th February 2019, 01:55 PM   #10
baron

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
"Group Loyalty" has been and continues to be responsible for a lot of really bad stuff.
That's what I was going to say. A crazy addition if you ask me.

Reciprocity is dubious too, although in a moot kind of way. Bravery? In what way is bravery moral in itself? ISIS fighters are brave. They're also big fans of group loyalty.

I would imagine concepts such as kindness to animals and respect for the planet are measures of morality, but they don't appear in the list at all. Respect is there but without qualification it's meaningless. Respect for what?

Seems like pish to me.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 02:16 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Sure, if you value honesty then under reciprocity you will want to both give and get it. But not if honesty just isn't all that important to you.
Maybe honesty isn't even on the list because of the necessity of (some) dishonesty in order to maintain moral stability. IOW, everything collapses if there is not some dishonesty happening sometimes.

Quote:
By strangers I meant to imply those who are not in your "group". Loyalty to your group implies that outsiders are second class citizens. Do you try to help them and work to include them in your group or do you treat them as enemies and take advantage of them for the betterment of your current group members?
The study is of cultures. If the stranger is from a different culture then this might not apply at all. If you look at the list, none of them specify moral attributes applied outside of a particular culture.

It's possible that "being moral" towards other cultures isn't on that list because it isn't a universal value across all cultures.
Old 19th February 2019, 03:08 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I would imagine concepts such as kindness to animals and respect for the planet are measures of morality, but they don't appear in the list at all.
This study examined 60 different cultures. In order to make the list the moral attributes must be valued by all 60 cultures. If animal kindness is considered a moral by 59 cultures then it can't make the list because it requires 60 cultures.

Animal kindness would fall under moral relativism, not moral universalism.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:51 PM   #13
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
They seem like vague labels or categories rather than moral rules.

Yeah, they're not morals. At best they're hard-wired shortcuts that at some point created an evolutionary advantage.

I think xenophobia is probably hard-wired into people as well. But it's been recast here as "family" and "group" loyalty. In any case, since any of these things can be overridden at any time, I'm not sure I even see the value in making the list to begin with.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 10:15 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

These do appear to be things that the US political left and right disagree on.
Pretty sure you find altruism within the sense of empathy and fairness.

Honesty probably has roots in a number of those. Honesty doesn't show up in toddlers until some age where they've learned to feel bad when they lie. But it probably is a complex issue.
Skeptic Ginger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2019, 11:59 PM   #15
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Aren”t “group loyalty” and “family values” essentially the same thing? And are they necessarily compatible with “fairness”, in particular relating to those outside the group?

Perhaps we are, to quote Gag Halfrunt, “crazy mixed-up animals.”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 20th February 2019 at 12:02 AM.
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 01:13 AM   #16
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Kindness? It’s not the same as fairness or reciprocity. Is any other word better as the oppocite of cruelty, which I’m sure every society would aspire to?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:52 AM   #17
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

"Property rights"??? Yeah. "Christian values"???

Complete BS propaganda.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 10:59 AM   #18
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Here is "the paper" in case anyone wants to read it.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/do...10.1086/701478
Old 20th February 2019, 12:43 PM   #19
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Aren”t “group loyalty” and “family values” essentially the same thing? And are they necessarily compatible with “fairness”, in particular relating to those outside the group?
I would consider group loyalty and family values to be similar at least in terms of the behavior expected among the group members. I think the difference, if any, would lie in how the group is formed. Group loyalty can refer to a group of one's own choosing whereas family values would be loyalty to one's (unchosen) kin.

You could argue that the loyalty tenets are focused on conduct within a group: each individual incorporates the interests of the other members of the group as a moral imperative. Okay fine, but then this really only matters where there are in-group and out-group dynamics. Loyalty to the group matters only if there is a choice between whether to favor the in-group or display fairness to an outsider. Does that make sense to anyone else?

As have "family values," which in the context of this study is defined as favoring one's kin. I'm thinking of nepotism specifically, in which someone in power provides for one's kin irresponsibility. Nepotism is morally murky, and not something I would consider a virtue.

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
"Property rights"??? Yeah. "Christian values"???

Complete BS propaganda.
I was hoping someone would raise this issue, because "family values" is often co-opted by the Christian right as a euphemism to signify and legitimize their particular brands of bigotry. I had a mild knee-jerk reaction to seeing that on the list and wondering who is going to equivocate that to justify their contrived moralizations. It's what got me to read the full paper to see exactly what was meant.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:46 PM   #20
David Mo
Philosopher

I haven't had many time to read the proposed article in detail (Curry, Mullin & Whitehouse, 2017), but as some of the comments below suggest, I find it rather deficient.

1. It shows an unjustified ignorance or contempt for classical anthropology and sociology. The subjects they say are studied here for the first time have often been studied by social and philosophical anthropology from Rousseau to Geertz, through Malinowsky, Marvin Harris, Durkheim, etc., etc., etc.
2. The only relatively new thing is the seven-point limitation and its denomination as "Morality-as-Cooperation" (MAC). And I say relatively because the functionalist school of anthropology has already studied many of these aspects.
3. The difference between the current MAC approach and classical anthropology —apart from jargon— is that the latter has not only studied the seven cultural elements as cooperation, but also as a source of conflict, division and domination. These aspects are unreasonably overlooked by MAC
4. The categories used by MAC are abstract. What defines a social value system (morality) is that under the heading "family" very different forms enter, some more cohesive or more oppressive than others. For example: what differentiates some cultures from others is not the condemnation of theft, but the different conceptions of what the limits of personal property are. This type of diversity is ignored by MAC, to limit itself to cooperation issue.
5. As some of the commentators in the article emphasise, MAC does not analyse the internal conflicts between the different elements considered. Often the link with street groups replaces the family one, for example. It is ridiculous for the authors to claim that there is no morality that attacks family ties when they can find it in the gospels themselves.
6. MAC does not consider the relationships between cultures and their social base. Although it speaks of having analyzed 60 cultures, it does not make explicit what the differences between them are. For example, a patriarchal society will favour the values of family submission, while a society based on individual competition will favour the values of alternative (business) groups. In this sense, the absence of an analysis of the interrelationship between productive forms and the values of cooperation or competition-domination within groups is very striking.
7. Finally, MAC does not take into account the difference between social norms (morality) and moral norms (ethics). Moral norms, as different of social norms, appear within the conflicts that I have pointed out above, not as an impulse to conformity, but to dissidence or conscious and free choice. To say that in the 60 societies analyzed there is an impulse towards the conformity of social rules does not mean that this impulse is good in itself, nor that a dissident person or group cannot consciously opt for better norms that suppose the dissolution of family ties or the denial of hierarchies.

Therefore, to claim that this study is a milestone towards the formation of anthropologically founded moral consensuses seems to me to be an assertion that lacks any foundation.

These are some preliminary considerations, awaiting a deeper analysis.
David Mo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:58 PM   #21
angrysoba
Philosophile

What about...

Quote:
Chastity,
Temperance,
Charity,
Diligence,
Patience,
Kindness &
Humility.
OR:

Quote:
1) Courage – bravery and valor

2) Temperance – self-control and restraint

3) Liberality – bigheartness, charity and generosity

4) Magnificence – radiance, joie de vivre

5) Pride – self-satisfaction

6) Honor – respect, reverence, admiration

7) Good Temper – equanimity, level headedness

8) Friendliness – conviviality and sociability

9) Truthfulness – straightforwardness, frankness and candor

10) Wit – sense of humor – meaninglessness and absurdity

11) Friendship – camaraderie and companionship

12) Justice – impartiality, evenhandedness and fairness
OR
Old 21st February 2019, 01:13 AM   #22
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Family values
- Group loyalty
- Reciprocity
- Bravery
- Respect
- Fairness
- Property rights
These all seem to be common traits among dogs, too. Even "property rights". LOL
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:52 AM   #23
baron

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
These all seem to be common traits among dogs, too. Even "property rights". LOL
Dogs could teach some 'civilisations' a lot.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:25 AM   #24
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Dogs could teach some 'civilisations' a lot.
Pretty sure our ancestors bred them to be better, more amplified versions of our own better nature. It's both surprising and not surprising to me that everywhere on earth humans have been, we've had doggos right there with us. From the north pole to the deserts of the middle east, even the most inhospitable places have had dogs and humans co-thriving together.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 07:39 PM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

A few of you appear to confuse the list with a list of desirable morality. Example above. I doubt you could find a society where people generally were not loyal to their country or some other group. This is what they are saying. If this is good or bad or somethings good and at other times bad is another issue.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:57 AM   #26
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
A few of you appear to confuse the list with a list of desirable morality.
Indeed, the paper makes a little more sense without that errant assumption.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy