ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th May 2019, 09:23 AM   #1
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Their motivations appear to be largely egoistic, however.

Research Shows Religious People Believe They Are Morally Superior, But Their Motivations Are Largely Egoistic
Old 20th May 2019, 09:58 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

People are people. News at 11.

---

One of the biggest insights I've gotten from this forum, actually, is that you don't have to be a theist to be religious. And most of the problems attributed to theism are actually problems of religion, and are thus actually problems common to all humans, whether theist or atheist.

Including egoistic motivations combined with a sense of moral superiority.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

---

One of the biggest insights I've gotten from this forum, actually, is that you don't have to be a theist to be religious. And most of the problems attributed to theism are actually problems of religion, and are thus actually problems common to all humans, whether theist or atheist.

A big This to this.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 10:57 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I do think that religiosity goes hand in hand with a lack of imagination: that is why most make-me-rich schemes based on religion are almost comically simple.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:08 AM   #5
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

---

Of course everyone considers their own views on morals, society, etc. to be particularly insightful and superior to many others; I feel the same way about my choices of how to cook beef.

And sure, many people feel morally superior for how clever they are to believe in the true god(s), or (as you suggest) correct for not believing in any god at all. But ah - theists have the additional enormous re-assurance and resource that their god(s) personally and specifically has provided and enthusiastically endorses the theist's moral standards! The Big Cheese (The Biggest Cheese in the Universe) agrees with you! That results in the "moral" certainties and lack of questioning that I associate with the little negatives to big horrors that have arisen from religious fundamentalists.

My experience with atheists is that although they are convinced that there is no god, that leaves them with the inevitable uncertainties of deciding for themselves what is morally correct. As an atheist I spend a significant amount of time researching, thinking, and puzzling out what might be the right view to have and what might be the right thing to do; I see this as common, indeed inherent, among other atheists. Unlike most theists I do not have a special book with god's very words in it, an anointed religious leader with an insider's link to god, or a personal ability to consult god through prayer. It makes it much more uncertain and atheists generally are more open to considering if other views might be superior to their own and if they should change their own moral thinking as a result.

I rush to add that I have met a significant number of theists who are not fundamentalist in their views: they believe in a god but they also believe that it is very difficult to be certain what he/she wishes of them. Bibles have contradictions in them, different religious leaders preach different views, different divisions in their religion believe different things, and prayers to god lack a certain clarity in terms of their specific responses. These theists even recognize that other people believe in other gods. They work hard to think about and decide what they should believe and do. And they are often left uncertain and willing to consider new perspectives. I truly respect and value these theists and I do wish more people who identify as religious would also be as thoughtful.

Last edited by Giordano; 20th May 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

IMO the most important thought one must have is that one might be wrong.

Of course I might be wrong in thinking so....

Last edited by Giordano; 20th May 2019 at 11:18 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy