ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th April 2019, 05:56 PM   #81
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
And may we all go ******* crazy..

Never mind that there is very little credible evidence that Jesus performed any miracles or that he was divine or that he even lived. The only extra biblical evidence comes from Josephus a whole century later and many man scholars believe that to he a later interpolation.

So now we are to praise the most wicked evil character in the bible? I'm talking about God, who is constantly either committing or ordering racism, sexism, cruelty and genocide throughout the book.

It's a good thing he doesn't exist.
It does seem pretty obvious that God is just a human creation rather than a real entity, but I'm thinking that Jesus the person probably existed, he just didn't have the superpowers ascribed to him by later authors.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2019, 06:41 AM   #82
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It does seem pretty obvious that God is just a human creation rather than a real entity, but I'm thinking that Jesus the person probably existed, he just didn't have the superpowers ascribed to him by later authors.
You suspect Jesus faked his powers using advanced alien technology instead? Yes, that seems plausible.
Old 15th April 2019, 09:18 AM   #83
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Dang, I forgot about the international date line.
So did Lockheed-Martin...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th April 2019, 04:18 AM   #84
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ah the good ole days...
Quote:
When you think of airplanes from the old days, with cables and that type of thing and direct connections between the sticks and the yolks...
Yolks??

Sorry for the derail, just couldn't pass this by.
Old 29th May 2019, 04:57 AM   #85
Robin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
I have finally had the epiphany that has led me to understand that Jesus truly lived and came to this Earth to save all mankind, and the truth of the Bible. I am willing to go into great detail to explain how this all happened today of all days, if anyone is really interested. I have walked away from atheism

May he bless you all.

Norm
My best tip is not to go through a religious phase, you only feel like an idiot when you come to your senses.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 05:09 AM   #86
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
My best tip is not to go through a religious phase, you only feel like an idiot when you come to your senses.

Unless you do it at just the right time.
Old 29th May 2019, 12:26 PM   #87
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I have finally had the epiphany that has led me to understand that Jesus truly lived and came to this Earth to save all mankind, and the truth of the Bible. I am willing to go into great detail to explain how this all happened today of all days, if anyone is really interested. I have walked away from atheism

May he bless you all.

Norm
Sad, but certainly your choice to make - just try not to annoy others with your new belief thingie!!!!! One of the things that helps make more non-believers is the number of believers who think we care about their comin' to Jeeesusss. To have any chance at all tone it way down.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 01:29 PM   #88
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Sad, but certainly your choice to make - just try not to annoy others with your new belief thingie!!!!! One of the things that helps make more non-believers is the number of believers who think we care about their comin' to Jeeesusss. To have any chance at all tone it way down.
Norm did recover from his new belief thingie but we must watch him closely to see if there is a relapse. April 1st may be the time he has another of these episodes so let's hope it doesn't stick.
Old 29th May 2019, 07:26 PM   #89
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Norm did recover from his new belief thingie but we must watch him closely to see if there is a relapse. April 1st may be the time he has another of these episodes so let's hope it doesn't stick.

Naahhh...once is enough. I'll try for something different next year. On the other hand, I am going to see a bio. of a different god at the weekend. Rocketman has landed.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 07:37 PM   #90
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

But have you been to Been to Tullamore, Seymour, Lismore, Mooloolaba, Nambour, Maroochydore, Kilmore, Murwillumbah, Birdsville, Emmaville, Wallaville, Cunnamulla, Condamine, Strathpine, Proserpine, Ulladulla, Darwin, Gin Gin, Deniliquin, Muckadilla, Wallumbilla, Boggabilla, Kumbarilla.

Norm
I guess you can thank your Lucky Star you're been everywhere.

(Sorry for the late reply - just found this thread)

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 07:44 PM   #91
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MEequalsIxR View Post
I guess you can thank your Lucky Star you're been everywhere.

Starr.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 08:37 PM   #92
MEequalsIxR
Critical Thinker

Thank you!

It's a sword they're not meant to safe.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2019, 05:06 PM   #93
Thor 2
Philosopher

Thinking about April 1st being April fools day and what fun it is, leads me to think we should have more of these, to colour in our year. How about Nov 8th as Idiots Day, in recognition of Donald Trumps election as president? It was the religious who carried him over the line.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy