ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 22nd February 2019, 07:02 AM   #401
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
There is no emergency. What's left to discuss?
There's no emergency, everybody knows there's no emergency, the person declaring the emergency has directly stated that there is no emergency so now as is tradition we have to play 40 pages of "Okay technically speaking..." from people who think there's A) a Congressional Gold Medal of Pedantics and B) it would be a great honor if they won it.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 07:10 AM   #402
Tero
Graduate Poster

What is the point of a nonbinding resolution? Congress is preparing one.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:00 AM   #403
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
There's no emergency, everybody knows there's no emergency, the person declaring the emergency has directly stated that there is no emergency so now as is tradition we have to play 40 pages of "Okay technically speaking..." from people who think there's A) a Congressional Gold Medal of Pedantics and B) it would be a great honor if they won it.
But...you mean there's no Congressional Gold Medal of Pedantics?

Life has no meaning.
Old 22nd February 2019, 01:28 PM   #404
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
It puts you on the record about something. It's a move for political purposes, not a legal one.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:26 PM   #405
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

The House will vote Tuesday on blocking Trump’s national emergency
Originally Posted by MSN.com
As part of the National Emergencies Act of 1976, the law that details the president’s ability to make emergency declarations, there’s also a legislative check that’s given to Congress. After the president declares an emergency, Congress can pass a resolution that terminates it. House Democrats, led by Rep. Joaquín Castro (D-TX), have introduced this very measure, and the House is set to vote on it next Tuesday.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:28 PM   #406
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It never pass the Senate. You might as well fold the resolution into little paper boats and float them down the Potomac.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:47 PM   #407
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It never pass the Senate. You might as well fold the resolution into little paper boats and float them down the Potomac.
From what I understand it will DEFINITELY pass in the Senate.

Let me rephrase that. As it stands right now 5 to 10 Republicans will vote for the measure. That's enough for it to pass if all the Dems vote against it. Now Trump will have to veto the resolution and then it dies.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd February 2019 at 02:51 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:52 PM   #408
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

These days, the only thing that passes the Senate is the same thing that passes bowel movements.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:26 PM   #409
Tero
Graduate Poster

Hey, the Senate, well McCain, came thru earlier. I still have Obamacare.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:08 PM   #410
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, the Senate, well McCain, came thru earlier. I still have Obamacare.
So much winning ...

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:12 PM   #411
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
These days, the only thing that passes the Senate is the same thing that passes bowel movements.
The GOP : it's what puts the senna in Senate.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2019, 11:03 AM   #412
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/03/u...rand-paul.html

Rand Paul has flipped, meaning 51 votes to oppose the emergency declaration in the Senate.

Alternatively, Rand Paul may be asking how much the market rate is for him to flip back.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 09:55 PM   #413
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

The resolution is in the Senate, referred to the Armed Services Committee

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...-resolution/46

Nothing on the Committee calendar:

https://www.armed-services.senate.gov/hearings

Ladies and gentlemen, democracy at work.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2019, 10:53 PM   #414
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's going to pass the Senate, McConnell already announced he can't stop it.
Old 6th March 2019, 06:13 AM   #415
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's going to pass the Senate, McConnell already announced he can't stop it.
"Going to pass the Senate, immediately be vetoed, and have zero chance of a veto over-ride."

The only difference is how much longer it gets drawn out.
Old 6th March 2019, 06:19 AM   #416
Belz...
Fiend God

"Going to pass the Senate, immediately be vetoed, and have zero chance of a veto over-ride."

The only difference is how much longer it gets drawn out.
Well, at least the Senate is making a show of disagreeing with Trump on something.

McConnell saying he can't stop it, though, sure indicates that GOP leadership would go along with their Fuhrer.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:33 AM   #417
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, at least the Senate is making a show of disagreeing with Trump on something.

McConnell saying he can't stop it, though, sure indicates that GOP leadership would go along with their Fuhrer.
Yeah that's my point. That's all anyone can do. "Make a show of disagreeing." It's yet another meaningless, symbolic victory that we're supposed to think is either A) is an actual meaningful victory against Trump or B) the vanguard of some inevitable and on the horizon victory against him that's been coming "any day now" for about 10,000 years.

Might as well have Pelosi joining the breakaway Republicans in a sarcastic clap at him again since that was the last "Big win lookit how awesome that win was OMG we're just so great and awesome" anybody got against Trump.

We've got "disagreeing with Trump" down pat. Can somebody... like stop him at some point?

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it's "gonna" happen "any day" now.

//I know, I know conversation had a billion times already.//
Old 6th March 2019, 06:36 AM   #418
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

New legislation overrides old legislation even when not specific. The funding passed. The national emergencies melaw is to quickly address emergencies Congress may not be able to.

Does the budget override the national emergencies act with respect to wall funding? Congress deliberated on the border crisis and passed something signed by the president.

Why or why not?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:37 AM   #419
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

It is nice to see that there are still at least few Republicans who are not butt-kissing Trump toadies. These few actually do have the good sense to finally vote against Trump when it comes to an important issue.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:38 AM   #420
Belz...
Fiend God

We've got "disagreeing with Trump" down pat. Can somebody... like stop him at some point?
How?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 06:43 AM   #421
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How?
That's the thing... they can't. The Democrats can't get their crap together long enough to amass enough actual power in actual places that it matters to stop him and the Republicans can't figure out a way to throw the Captain over the side without also sinking the boat.

I think we need to face the reality that Trump isn't going away until we vote him out in 2020. Each day that passes his chances of making it to the end of this term are ticking up, not down as far as I'm concerned.

Again... I know I harp on this. I really, honestly do and I have never wanted to be more wrong about something in my entire life. But I'm not getting a "noose tightening" vibe off the political landscape right now. I'm getting an Id driven man-child getting more and more comfortable with what he's allowed to get away with vibe.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th March 2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 6th March 2019, 06:47 AM   #422
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

That's the thing... they can't. The Democrats can't get their crap together long enough to amass enough actual power in actual places that it matters to stop him and the Republicans can't figure out a way to throw the Captain over the side without also sinking the boat.

I think we need to face the reality that Trump isn't going away until we vote him out in 2020. Each day that passes his chances of making it to the end of this term are ticking up, not down as far as I'm concerned.

Again... I know I harp on this. I really and I have never wanted to be more wrong about something in my entire life. But I'm not getting a "noose tightening" vibe off the political landscape right now. I'm getting an Id driven man-child getting more and more comfortable with what he's allowed to get away with vibe.
Sure, but even if such public investigations don't lead to removal via impeachment, I think airing Trump's dirty laundry is going to hurt his re-election chances.

Him fighting the D's to keep his dirty deeds secret, and losing, is going to make him look weak. Humiliation is not re-election fuel.
Old 6th March 2019, 08:28 AM   #423
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Might as well have Pelosi joining the breakaway Republicans in a sarcastic clap at him again since that was the last "Big win lookit how awesome that win was OMG we're just so great and awesome" anybody got against Trump.
I know people thought it was funny. I don't remember anybody opining that it was a "big win". Can you quote anybody saying that?
Old 6th March 2019, 04:08 PM   #424
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Again... I know I harp on this. I really, honestly do and I have never wanted to be more wrong about something in my entire life. But I'm not getting a "noose tightening" vibe off the political landscape right now. I'm getting an Id driven man-child getting more and more comfortable with what he's allowed to get away with vibe.
I see this particular vote in the senate as more important to senate elections in 2020 than anything having to do with the president. In close races it may matter that a GOP senator handed over the most important power of the legislative branch to satisfy the whims of an unpopular president.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 04:12 PM   #425
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
It is nice to see that there are still at least few Republicans who are not butt-kissing Trump toadies. These few actually do have the good sense to finally vote against Trump when it comes to an important issue.
Collins is trying to rehabilitate her image after her Kavanaugh speech.
Old 6th March 2019, 05:14 PM   #426
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

For the record here, what would be a veto-proof number of votes in the Senate? 61?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:21 PM   #427
bytewizard
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
For the record here, what would be a veto-proof number of votes in the Senate? 61?
2/3 House and 2/3 Senate
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:33 PM   #428
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
2/3 House and 2/3 Senate
Thanks.

So the House is there. And the Senate has to get to 66 votes. With a 2-seat majority, that would mean...18 GOP senators to flip?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 08:27 PM   #429
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Thanks.

So the House is there. And the Senate has to get to 66 votes. With a 2-seat majority, that would mean...18 GOP senators to flip?
67 for super-majority.

But a veto vote is often different from a bill vote. It can be viewed more about the principle of the Congress vs. the West Wing. More Senators might vote to uphold the legitimacy of the vote even if they voted against it.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 6th March 2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 6th March 2019, 09:37 PM   #430
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
67 for super-majority.

But a veto vote is often different from a bill vote. It can be viewed more about the principle of the Congress vs. the West Wing. More Senators might vote to uphold the legitimacy of the vote even if they voted against it.
So it is within the realms of possibility the veto vote will carry with a super-majority? If so, does that mean Trump must accept the result power of the legislative branch? Not that I expect he will see it that way. He will rant and rave about border security and communist lefty Dems, etc.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 6th March 2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 7th March 2019, 12:45 AM   #431
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

So it is within the realms of possibility the veto vote will carry with a super-majority? If so, does that mean Trump must accept the result power of the legislative branch? Not that I expect he will see it that way. He will rant and rave about border security and communist lefty Dems, etc.
It's still a tough sell for anyone in a district where Trump is popular and they could get primaried.

From what I'm reading, no vote is scheduled but it is "anticipated" on Thursday the 14th of March.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:23 AM   #432
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
It's still a tough sell for anyone in a district where Trump is popular and they could get primaried.

From what I'm reading, no vote is scheduled but it is "anticipated" on Thursday the 14th of March.
The vote must take place within 18 days of the passing of the "no" vote in the House.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:19 AM   #433
Traveler Steve
Scholar

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Respectfully, I don't see it that way. I see it as some Republicans are scared witless that, in the future, a "librul" President will declare a national emergency on the number of firearms in the country leading to "an unacceptable number of mass shootings and needless deaths" and start pumping out executive orders to "grab them guns".

Or even declare a national health emergency for the "unacceptable number of needless deaths in the health care system" and pump up Obamacare to be a truly socialized health-care system.

It's not about Trump, really, it's about future Presidential power grabs.
Traveler Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 04:48 AM   #434
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Traveler Steve View Post
Respectfully, I don't see it that way. I see it as some Republicans are scared witless that, in the future, a "librul" President will declare a national emergency on the number of firearms in the country leading to "an unacceptable number of mass shootings and needless deaths" and start pumping out executive orders to "grab them guns".

Or even declare a national health emergency for the "unacceptable number of needless deaths in the health care system" and pump up Obamacare to be a truly socialized health-care system.

It's not about Trump, really, it's about future Presidential power grabs.
And that's completely rational. The Democrats have not been late to outright state that if this passes the courts, it'll be precedent and future Democratic Presidents will use it to push through liberal issues.

Anyone opposed to liberal issues should be opposed to Trump's handling on this. The problem is that Trumpists aren't able to process information the way the rest of us can.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 06:04 AM   #435
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Anyone opposed to liberal issues should be opposed to Trump's handling on this. The problem is that Trumpists aren't able to process information the way the rest of us can.
They want to see Trump set the law by breaking the law. Perfectly rational.
Old 7th March 2019, 07:17 AM   #436
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

They want to see Trump set the law by breaking the law. Perfectly rational.
Well, if you don't care much about the law in the first place, it could be depending on your ultimate goal.

My point was that it's rational for Goopers to worry about a Democratic President using the same method in the future. They will.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:05 AM   #437
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We are on track to APPREHEND more than one million people coming across the Southern Border this year. Great job by Border Patrol (and others) who are working in a Broken System. Can be fixed by Congress so easily and quickly if only the Democrats would get on board!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:07 AM   #438
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is he really saying that nearly 3000 people are apprehended each day on the border?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 10:16 AM   #439
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Traveler Steve View Post
Quote:
Respectfully, I don't see it that way. I see it as some Republicans are scared witless that, in the future, a "librul" President will declare a national emergency on the number of firearms in the country...Or even declare a national health emergency
Exactly.

Remember, these are the republicans who acted to confirm Drunky McRapeface to the Supreme court (as well as such stellar nominees as Devos to the cabinet). They have no real sense of integrity.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2019, 06:09 AM   #440
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is he really saying that nearly 3000 people are apprehended each day on the border?
That is correct. Over 76,000 were apprehended crossing the border in February.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/6/1825344...igration-trump

Quote:
The Trump administration reported that 76,103 people tried to enter the US without valid papers in February. That number combines people who came to official border crossings and migrants who were caught by Border Patrol after crossing illegally.

But while current apprehension levels are higher than they’ve been in the last decade, they’re still way below pre-recession levels.

What is truly unprecedented is who the migrants are.

Almost two-thirds of Border Patrol apprehensions are of parents and their children. While we don’t have complete historical data, it seems likely that more families are coming to the US without papers than ever before. Additionally, a large share of migrants (both families and single adults) are expressing a desire to seek asylum.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you seem to have expressed incredulity at that number. Now that I presented evidence that the number is more credible, does that change any of your views?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics