ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th February 2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Now its aid charities, #MeToo

First, it was Harvey Weinstein and Hollywood and the flood gates opened revealing the level of sexual abuse. Then in the UK it was the House of Parliament. Now it is Oxfam, which broke over news about men sleeping with Haitian victims of the 2011 earthquake;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ed-prostitutes

Now there are allegations of widespread abuse of female staff and those who are the victims of the disasters;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...llying-culture

"Thanks to brave whistleblowers and those who have confronted Oxfam, many of whom are women, the floodgates are now open. It will be impossible to hold back all the information emerging from other aid organisations on the opaque and damaging cultures that have allowed potential criminal activity, sexual exploitation, harassment and other abhorrent behaviour to thrive, and indeed be rewarded through the promotion of those accused of wrongdoing. We have seen at least one resignation – there may be more."
Old 12th February 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

#metoo is a cudgel for some
Old 12th February 2018, 12:24 PM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sexual exploitation is a cudgel for others.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with this comparison;

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/0...-metoo-moment/

"For all the good it may do, aid work is the equivalent of a secular clergy; they have moral authority, a licence to pontificate, glamour back home and being secular, none of the inhibitions that even bad clergy have in their work and conduct. And their behaviour is proof – a bit like clerical sex abuse – of the truth of Lord Acton’s little dictum that ‘all power tends to corrupt’."

Those who do the aid work are in positions of great power and it appears there has been much misuse of that power. Bit like the RC church.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It will be used by the anti foreign aid lobby as an excuse to cut govt foreign aid.
There are already some pundits and Tory MPs rumbling about it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 01:57 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

At this point I think it's safe to say that this kind of abuse is happening in every social institution we have. The entertainment industry. The media. Political organizations. Non profits and charities.

It will be interesting to see, in coming decades, how these institutions fare when they are taken over by women. Will the abuses diminish? Or will they simply take a different form?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I am surprised. I remember being told about aid agency work in Afghanistan and how female aid workers were under heavy protection. I thought it was a safe place for women to work as it would attract altruistic people to work there.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8205101.html

"More than 120 workers from a range of Britain’s leading charities have reportedly been accused of sexual abuse in the past year alone.
New figures collated by the charities revealed that Oxfam recorded 87 allegations of sexual misconduct between April 2016 and March 2017, of which 53 were referred to the police, Save the Children had 31, ten of which were referred to the police, and Christian Aid two."

My comparison with the RC church is wrong, at least the charities have not gone into complete denial and cover up.
Old 12th February 2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
At this point I think it's safe to say that this kind of abuse is happening in every social institution we have. The entertainment industry. The media. Political organizations. Non profits and charities.
Agreed. Wherever there is a large power disparity between people who are in contact on a regular basis this will be an issue.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see, in coming decades, how these institutions fare when they are taken over by women. Will the abuses diminish? Or will they simply take a different form?
Assumes that there are no men who could lead such organizations, doesn't it? I know plenty of me who are not at all concerned that their name will be a headline and I like to think they outnumber the ones who are currently quite nervous. Yes, there may be more women at the top, but I hardly think it will swing from a boys club to a girls club. Maybe I'm just naive.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:41 PM   #9
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It is, IMHO, blindingly obvious that such abuse happens everywhere - just as everywhere, there are murderers and thieves, how great your society may be.

The question is to what extent - organizations can do their best to put mechanisms and procedures in place to minimize it - and whether they actively cover it up.

In that respect, it's not as bad as the RCC, but I'm a bit shocked that only now allegations come out from seven years ago. I thought that Oxfam was an organization of high repute, and this also has repercussions world wide. Oxfam has affiliates in 17 countries, many of which were before independent aid charities themselves. The Haiti director responsible was a Belgian. In the Netherlands, it's reported that already hundreds of donors have cancelled their sponsorship of Oxfam Novib because of this.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
#metoo is a cudgel for some
#MeNeither is a comfy blankie in a rocking chair next to a warm fire on a wintery night to some

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:08 PM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I am surprised. I remember being told about aid agency work in Afghanistan and how female aid workers were under heavy protection. I thought it was a safe place for women to work as it would attract altruistic people to work there.
I used to think that too, up until just a few years ago when I read a report on how the Peace Corps is beset by rampant sexual abuse and assault within its ranks, owing largely to an unsympathetic leadership that until recently for instance required rape victims to write reports explaining what they did wrong to cause themselves to be raped and how they plan to change their behavior to prevent future occurrences, and had a habit of allowing accused rapists to resign with a "clean" record or even be hired with a completely clean file that didn't include any information about their previous work or complaints against them.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:37 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I used to think that too, up until just a few years ago when I read a report on how the Peace Corps is beset by rampant sexual abuse and assault within its ranks, owing largely to an unsympathetic leadership that until recently for instance required rape victims to write reports explaining what they did wrong to cause themselves to be raped and how they plan to change their behavior to prevent future occurrences, and had a habit of allowing accused rapists to resign with a "clean" record or even be hired with a completely clean file that didn't include any information about their previous work or complaints against them.
All those *********** Peace Corps Conservatives, obviously.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:44 PM   #13
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It's not really a political thing. A Peace Corps stint is useful on a CV no matter what your politics. Unfortunately, in much the same way that every youth organization is and will continue to be vulnerable to exploitation by pedophiles seeking access to potential victims, so too are groups like the Peace Corps vulnerable to sexual predators who can't resist the prospect of being given authority over a continuously replenished victim-pool in a remote place with poor communication and non-existent law enforcement.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 06:54 PM   #14
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I almost cited that myself, but then didn't. However, since you mention it:

ABCNews Investigates Peace Corps Volunteers at Risk

One difference between the Oxfam issue and the PC issue is that much of the Oxfam misbehavior has been by its own career staff. Much of the problems with the PC resulted from PC volunteers being victimized by host country nationals (including some employed by the PC), and then getting a very poor response from the PC staff (PC has volunteers that are supervised and supported by paid administrative staff). Many of the paid staff are host country nationals.

In the most publicized example a volunteer was assaulted by a host country national who was employed by the PC, she reported it to the PC administration, one of whom was the brother of her attacker. The PC administrative staff member told his brother (the assailant) that she had reported the assault, so the assailant returned to her house and killed her.

The key difference is that the PC Volunteers were mostly the victims, while the Oxfam staff seem to be perpetrators. The paid PC staff were rarely the perpetrators of the attacks.

But overall there are still some key similarities. In both instances, once one victim (or the victim's family) came forward others followed. Both organizations showed a very poor response until harsh press coverage forced change.

theprestige: a couple of the PCV's I served with are anything but liberal. Most are, but one might be surprised at the diversity of opinions expressed by PCV's when they gather together.

Last edited by crescent; 12th February 2018 at 06:57 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:04 PM   #15
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Agreed. Wherever there is a large power disparity between people who are in contact on a regular basis this will be an issue.

Assumes that there are no men who could lead such organizations, doesn't it? I know plenty of me who are not at all concerned that their name will be a headline and I like to think they outnumber the ones who are currently quite nervous. Yes, there may be more women at the top, but I hardly think it will swing from a boys club to a girls club. Maybe I'm just naive.
There also isn't good reason to suspect that abuse will change considerably if it were a girls club. People in power abuse others. People who know they can get away with it will be more likely to abuse. Women are more likely to be able to get away with sexual abuse in general.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:09 PM   #16
Pterodactyl
Muse

Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
There also isn't good reason to suspect that abuse will change considerably if it were a girls club. People in power abuse others. People who know they can get away with it will be more likely to abuse. Women are more likely to be able to get away with sexual abuse in general.
I guess.
But I think we're kidding ourselves pretending that men, at large, are bothered by sexual advances the same way women are.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2018, 08:47 PM   #17
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I guess.
But I think we're kidding ourselves pretending that men, at large, are bothered by sexual advances the same way women are.
If women would just get with the program things would be so much easier.

But seriously, being harassed by a woman superior is not going to go over well with men either. In a bar, sure women can harass me. Please do. At work, nope. Been there.

My neighbor used to hit on me all the time and I hated it. She'd pretend she needed a hug or other odd stuff, and not let go. I remember thinking "so this is what women have to put up with when some men say 'oh I just wanna be friends' when they really don't"

There are plenty of married men, men with girlfriends, gay men, and just plain old men who ain't cool with it.

ETA: Imagine Hillary as your boss and tell me she couldn't be just as bad as any male boss, ever. She'd probably kick some ass and get stuff done though, I'll give her that.

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th February 2018 at 08:50 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 05:48 AM   #18
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It will be used by the anti foreign aid lobby as an excuse to cut govt foreign aid.
There are already some pundits and Tory MPs rumbling about it.
Considering how the government likes to drag its feet other similar allegations elswhere - and especially within Parliament - the speed with which they're acted in this case certainly looks like them taking advantage of the excuse they long been waiting for.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 05:50 AM   #19
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8205101.html

"More than 120 workers from a range of Britain’s leading charities have reportedly been accused of sexual abuse in the past year alone.
New figures collated by the charities revealed that Oxfam recorded 87 allegations of sexual misconduct between April 2016 and March 2017, of which 53 were referred to the police, Save the Children had 31, ten of which were referred to the police, and Christian Aid two."

My comparison with the RC church is wrong, at least the charities have not gone into complete denial and cover up.
Not necessarily the same thing.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 10:11 AM   #20
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Our Oxfam Charity shop on the Market Place has a board over one of its windows today. Looks like someone put a brick through it.

Coincidence?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 12:31 PM   #21
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Former female volunteer revenge?
Old 13th February 2018, 12:41 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Doubt it. Dickheads from the Wilton Lane Estate probably.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:34 PM   #23
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Doubt it. Dickheads from the Wilton Lane Estate probably.
Someone said there might have been a paedo ring in haiti! Oxfam is paedos!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2018, 04:46 PM   #24
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Someone said there might have been a paedo ring in haiti! Oxfam is paedos!
Oxfam is probably more pedo than previously assumed.
Old 14th February 2018, 05:30 AM   #25
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It is was pot/kettle/black to watch a government minister Penny Mordant criticise Oxfam for not doing enough about reports of abuse and being too slow to act.

Oxfam and other charities have done way more than the RC church and the House of Parliament ever did, regarding reports of abuse.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:20 AM   #26
Arcade22
Illuminator

Apparently if you work for Oxfam you are not allowed to have sex with anyone under the age of 18 because it might upset people.

Ridiculous.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:51 AM   #27
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

"And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light." 2 Corinthians 11:14 (Quoted as cultural legacy, not divine truth.)

You'd think we'd all have caught on by now.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events