ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 01:22 PM   #121
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What would a racial slur against an orange person be?
You filthy Oompa Loompa?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 01:27 PM   #122
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Quote:
In 2013, when Texas Sen. Ted Cruz forced a shutdown over Obamacare, Trump called “Fox & Friends” to argue that Obama was to blame.
“It always happens to be the top. I mean, the problems start from the top and have to get solved from the top,” Trump said then.
“The president is the leader, and he’s got to get everybody in a room and he’s got to lead.”
https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/white-...nt-shuts-down/

Funny how the problems don't "start from the top" now that's he's president.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 01:30 PM   #123
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Oops!

“Right now, in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change.” President Donald J. Trump

I actually heard this live today and thought I had heard it wrong. Apparently not.
Old 19th January 2018, 01:40 PM   #124
Bob001
Philosopher

"You rotten kumquat!"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 01:43 PM   #125
Bob001
Philosopher

Question: What are the odds that some of the people around Trump have tapes? Pocket recorders are tiny, and most cell phones have a "record" function. I was truly surprised that Comey didn't pull out tapes at his Congressional testimony. Bannon, particularly, seems like the kind of guy who would do it.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 01:53 PM   #126
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Question: What are the odds that some of the people around Trump have tapes? Pocket recorders are tiny, and most cell phones have a "record" function. I was truly surprised that Comey didn't pull out tapes at his Congressional testimony. Bannon, particularly, seems like the kind of guy who would do it.
Since Omarosa is claiming to have done just that, and they only get more paranoid from there, I'd say "extremely good."

Comey was doing the thing they did before they had tapes: after each meeting he wrote a detailed memo of that meeting to send to a trusted party for safekeeping.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 01:54 PM   #127
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Oops!

“Right now, in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change.” President Donald J. Trump

I actually heard this live today and thought I had heard it wrong. Apparently not.
??

Was he trying to say that abortions are legal in some states in the 9th month?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 02:18 PM   #128
Cabbage
Critical Thinker

Orange ya glad I didn't say Cracker?
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 02:19 PM   #129
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
??

Was he trying to say that abortions are legal in some states in the 9th month?
Why bother trying to second-guess what he means? It's just giving him the benefit of the doubt that there was some semantic content in there in the first place.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 02:50 PM   #130
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Why bother trying to second-guess what he means? It's just giving him the benefit of the doubt that there was some semantic content in there in the first place.
I assume he meant “torn”.

Not too different from Obama’s 57 states slipup. Mistakes happen.
Old 19th January 2018, 03:04 PM   #131
Stacko
Philosopher

You should start counting how many times you've said this. The frequency is an issue.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 03:17 PM   #132
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
You should start counting how many times you've said this. The frequency is an issue.
Maybe true.

Just trying to discern between wanton and willful ignorance of issues and silly, but embarrassing little slips of the tongue.

I think this is a case of the latter.
Old 19th January 2018, 03:18 PM   #133
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

"Pith off!"
Old 19th January 2018, 03:23 PM   #134
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Out of curiosity, I did a Forum search for any posts of mine that had “Obama and states”.

It only returned one other. Unless I’m doing something wrong.
Old 19th January 2018, 03:36 PM   #135
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

From a retweet.
To show his bonafides, when Trump addresses DC pro-life rally, he needs to declare that if Stormy Daniels had become pregnant when they had unprotected sex he wld have DEMANDED she bear their child and raise him/her together in the culture of life. Wld be a powerful statement.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 03:49 PM   #136
fagin
Philosopher

And another oops...

http://people.com/politics/trump-ant...n-ninth-month/

“Right now, a number of state laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change,” he said.

Although on a darker note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42752421

Trump vows abortion opposition in speech to March for Life
Old 19th January 2018, 03:53 PM   #137
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

We'll see.

If they were smart, this would be the response. "Whoops, sorry. It was a mistake."

However, the Trump and Huckabee-Sanders approach has been to double-down, and try to justify it.

If they admit the mistake, I'm willing to pass it off as such. But that has not been their usual response.
Old 19th January 2018, 03:55 PM   #138
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Although on a darker note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42752421

Trump vows abortion opposition in speech to March for Life
"Abortion death penalty" was on my "Trump Tenure Darkest Timeline To-Do List."

Looks like it might be moving up the priorities list, as there's a real risk GOP will lose the house in 2018.
Old 19th January 2018, 03:56 PM   #139
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
If they admit the mistake, I'm willing to pass it off as such. But that has not been their usual response.
Correct, their usual response, is that the recording of him saying so is Fake News! Failing People Magazine! Killary!
Old 19th January 2018, 04:00 PM   #140
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Correct, their usual response, is that the recording of him saying so is Fake News! Failing People Magazine! Killary!
Look at the "covfefe" crap. That would have been so easily diffused and readily forgotten if they would have just said, "Whoops, typo."

But no, they had to go with "His supporters know what he meant" and it turned into a running joke.
Old 19th January 2018, 04:32 PM   #141
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

It’s clearly a strategy - never admit error and never apologize.

Example: Trump saying the murder rate was the highest in 45-something years. Wrong - it’s near record lows. He misunderstood a recent rise in the rate for the rate itself. But never a correction, clarification or apology.

Goes exactly against what I was taught as responsible adult behavior: to own one’s mistakes and move on. Every mistake is a learning opportunity, but Trump had zero interest in learning, just winning.

I find Trump aggravating on myriad levels, but for me this is by far the most aggravating.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 19th January 2018 at 04:33 PM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 04:41 PM   #142
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Example: Trump saying the murder rate was the highest in 45-something years. Wrong - it’s near record lows. He misunderstood a recent rise in the rate for the rate itself. But never a correction, clarification or apology.

Goes exactly against what I was taught as responsible adult behavior: to own one’s mistakes and move on. Every mistake is a learning opportunity, but Trump had zero interest in learning, just winning.

I find Trump aggravating on myriad levels, but for me this is by far the most aggravating.
I get it, though... they're not correcting themselves, because to a large segment of the population, there's no objective reality to say they're actually mistaken.

For probably 40% of the population, when the president says the murder rate is the highest it's been in 45 years, that's the baseline fact against which one can identify contradictory claimants as liars.

DOJ statistics say it's not true? Proof of the Deep State!
Old 19th January 2018, 04:55 PM   #143
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by rustypouch View Post
As the government is on the verge of a shutdown, Trump's in Mar-a-Lago, hosting a celebration of his inauguration. At $50k a plate. How is this acceptable, in any way, shape, or form? There's dereliction of duty, corruption, profiting from the office, the huge waste of tax money...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...ation-at-mar-a
I think it’s being reported he’s canceled, or at least postponed, the trip.
I'm looking for a link about if the trip is cancelled or not...Can't find anything supporting a cancellation .
Old 19th January 2018, 05:05 PM   #144
NoahFence
Suspended

Oops!

Is there tape of that?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 05:10 PM   #145
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Is there tape of that?
Video embedded here:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...in-ninth-month
Old 19th January 2018, 05:53 PM   #146
TheGnome
Thinker

About Trump conceiving the idea of The Wall, I just found this cartoon:
http://www.gocomics.com/wizardofid/2008/12/10
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 06:03 PM   #147
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is a classic example of what I call the CEO Syndrome, where some guy who's managed to become rich and powerful, usually through no effort of his own, decides he's never made a mistake in his whole life. GW Bush held a spectacular press conference one time at which reporters asked if he'd ever made a mistake and he couldn't think of any.
Old 19th January 2018, 06:21 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It’s clearly a strategy - never admit error and never apologize....
No, not a strategy, clearly one symptom in a cluster of symptoms of pathologic narcissism.

Edited to distinguish between something like GW's inability to recall any mistakes he'd made and Trump's pathology because this kind of pathology is not diagnosed on a single symptom.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th January 2018 at 06:25 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 07:35 PM   #149
Stacyhs
Illuminator

It was a mistake on Trump's part. Even as much as I detest the man, it's obvious that he simply said "born" for "torn". It's funny but irrelevant. But what is relevant is that, even if he had said "born", what he said was just a plain lie. Fetuses are never "torn" from their mother's womb in the ninth month as he claimed, with the insinuation that the mother just wanted to get rid of an inconvenient pregnancy. Pregnancy termination at that late date are overwhelmingly due to fetal abnormalities inconsistent with supporting life as in the baby has no brain. And they are almost exclusively done by induction of labor. Trump's intent is to spread misinformation in an attempt to stir up his audience so they'll give him what he so craves: applause, cheering and adulation. He is one sick SOB.

Read this from a gynecologist who explains why these late terminations occur:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dd54ce389b61
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 08:28 PM   #150
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It was a mistake on Trump's part. Even as much as I detest the man, it's obvious that he simply said "born" for "torn".
The thing is he was reading from a teleprompter, and not only misread the word but didn't immediately realize that the thought was nonsense. It's not the first time he has appeared to be reading words without any understanding. (Some patriot should insert "I hereby resign" into the feed.)
Old 19th January 2018, 08:44 PM   #151
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Read this from a gynecologist who explains why these late terminations occur:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0dd54ce389b61
From the link:
Quote:
And No, There Are No Ninth Month Abortions.
Abortions at 9 months is one of the many lying for Jesus slogans or whatever these creeps excuse their outright lies as.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th January 2018 at 08:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 08:45 PM   #152
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... (Some patriot should insert "I hereby resign" into the feed.)
Old 19th January 2018, 08:49 PM   #153
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some patriot should insert "I hereby resign" into the feed.
He would even screw that up and say "I hear signs".
Old 19th January 2018, 08:55 PM   #154
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The thing is he was reading from a teleprompter, and not only misread the word but didn't immediately realize that the thought was nonsense. It's not the first time he has appeared to be reading words without any understanding. (Some patriot should insert "I hereby resign" into the feed.)
Are you sure someone didn't do that with "Beetlejuice" (3x) already? It would explain a lot of the chaos.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:35 PM   #155
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

It merits saying when the loyal opposition (libs, dems, progs) harp on slip-ups as often as we do. Trump has enough actual reprehensible opinions and actions that the momentary little dance over a slip-up is really superfluous.

That speech was not so much reprehensible but incomprehensible, even when you mentally edit to repair the language. He's the first president to ever address these people. And where's Ivanka? Weren't we told that the bestest friend evah for women and LBGTQ people was going to be Donald Trump, because his little snoogie woogie daughter was going to keep him on a pro-humanist agenda?

Yeah, sure!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 10:49 PM   #156
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It merits saying when the loyal opposition (libs, dems, progs) harp on slip-ups as often as we do. Trump has enough actual reprehensible opinions and actions that the momentary little dance over a slip-up is really superfluous.

Sure, but when the "Obama screws up, too" response to Trump's 74th slipup is always the same Obama slipup, that "defense" wears a bit thin. As if to say that the person who just committed their 10th murder is no worse than the person who committed only 1.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 19th January 2018 at 10:53 PM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2018, 10:56 PM   #157
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Sure, but when the "Obama screws up, too" response to Trump's 74th slipup is always the same Obama slipup, that "defense" wears a bit thin.
It's not a defense, it's a statement of fact. He slipped up. The Obama slip-up is used as the best-known example in the public dialogue. It's the one in most-recent memory. Prior to that it was Ford's debate flub, although there are still people who will try to sell you that he wasn't just confused but actually believed that.

It's a non-issue but while we argue about it, no one's paying attention to where he was, why he was there and what this says.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2018, 01:23 AM   #158
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Well, I've never claimed he was like, really smart. But was it a sign of cognitive problems? Nah. He's just an idiot.
Old 20th January 2018, 03:08 AM   #159
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Some Republican civilians have started wearing yellow Stars of David as "a show of solidarity" with other Republicans

Because, you know, people saying mean things about Trump while the GOP controls all three Houses is the same as 6 million people being systematically murdered.
Old 20th January 2018, 03:18 AM   #160
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's not a defense, it's a statement of fact. He slipped up. The Obama slip-up is used as the best-known example in the public dialogue. It's the one in most-recent memory. Prior to that it was Ford's debate flub, although there are still people who will try to sell you that he wasn't just confused but actually believed that.

It's a non-issue but while we argue about it, no one's paying attention to where he was, why he was there and what this says.
An occasional slip up is understandable but Trump seems to make it a regular thing. As if he isn't aware of what he is saying.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics