ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 21st January 2018, 12:25 AM   #201
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What's the difference? If campaign donors know the money will go to Trump, and officials staying at Trump properties know the money will go to Trump, they are both trying to "curry favors." A bribe is a bribe, however you disguise it.
I take your point, but not every campaign donation is a bribe.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 12:46 AM   #202
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sure, when campaign donations go to established election committees and are maintained and disbursed according to applicable campaign finance laws. In this particular case, campaign "donations" are converted into income forTrump when they are used to pay for goods and services at his properties: "Hey, I'll donate 100 grand to your committee, and your committee will spend it to rent a ballroom at your house." That's what makes it look like a bribe, even if it's legal.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 02:37 AM   #203
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

How Trump's erratic shifting of policy is damaging to everybody, including himself
Old 21st January 2018, 05:15 AM   #204
Arcade22
Illuminator

Quote:
This week, President Trump is scheduled to head to the 2018 World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The U.S. leader may seem an unlikely guest — Davos brings together the world's political and economic elite for what is generally viewed as a celebration of globalization.

The paper, which was first reported by Reuters, does not mention Trump by name. It does, however, state that these narratives have emerged in “the United States as well as elsewhere” and that the current U.S. “administration is seeking to reduce the trade deficit by renegotiating U.S. trade agreements and adopting more protectionist U.S. policies.”

In all of Trump's foreign policy, his distaste for what he views as “bad trade deals” may be one of the most consistent positions. The president has criticized not only multilateral trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement or the Trans-Pacific Partnership, but also bilateral deals with allies, such as the free-trade agreement with South Korea. Trade deficits, such as the sprawling gap that exists in trade with China, are a particular subject of ire for the Trump administration, too.

For example, the paper states that it is a misconception that bilateral trade between two nations should be balanced. “If a bilateral free trade agreement allows a country to meet more of its needs by importing at lower costs from a particular partner, it will benefit,” the authors write, “even if the value of these increased imports exceeds the value of the exports that it sells to that partner.”

The paper also takes aim at the idea that trade deficits result in job loss. “While in theory the relationship between imports, trade deficits, and employment and growth could be positive or negative, in practice in the United States, rapid import growth and larger trade deficits have been associated with faster employment growth,” the authors note.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rade-deficits/

Don't worry though. Trump knows international trade and macroeconomics better than anyone else. Nobody knows it better than him.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 06:09 AM   #205
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rade-deficits/

Don't worry though. Trump knows international trade and macroeconomics better than anyone else. Nobody knows it better than him.
How many of those other so-called bigwigs have Trump International properties!
Old 21st January 2018, 06:56 AM   #206
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
What is really amazing with his diet based on big macs and light coca cola is that he is no suffering type 2 diabetes. He is a perfect candidate for this disease.
While it would be hilarious if Trump turned out to be the perfect candidate for something, obviously type 2 diabetes isn't it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 07:19 AM   #207
Cain
Straussian

Republicans and Dems are not accustomed to dealing with a master negotiator like Trump. 1024D chess.

This morning the Washington Post compared Trump to an amateur jazz musician -- moody and improvisational, but lacking the technical chops to keep the piece together.
Old 21st January 2018, 07:27 AM   #208
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What did it really say? Just curious.
The chyron said something about the White House and POTUS. I just misread "POTUS".
Old 21st January 2018, 07:44 AM   #209
NoahFence
Suspended

Are you sure about that in trumps case?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:00 AM   #210
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Are you sure about that in trumps case?
Pretty sure. Unless you're using some weird definition of "every", "campaign donation", or "bribe".
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:55 AM   #211
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

A female senator who was a combat veteran took Trump to task, calling him “Cadet Bonespurs” and pointing out his five deferments put him in a weak position to lecture her about the military.

Zing!
Old 21st January 2018, 12:18 PM   #212
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
A female senator who was a combat veteran took Trump to task, calling him “Cadet Bonespurs” and pointing out his five deferments put him in a weak position to lecture her about the military.

Zing!

Double zing. It was a female who called him out for the lying coward he is.

I'll bet she doesn't stay on his Christmas card list.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 01:34 PM   #213
dann
Illuminator

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 02:37 PM   #214
Minoosh
Philosopher

Is this the place to say that it's lunacy to tie DACA to a whole bunch of huge issues? This is not Trump's fault. I've seen the "Dream Act" get hosed again and again as it's conflated with other immigration issues. I know these people; I don't know who's a DACA type because I don't talk to youngsters about their immigration status. But I know many of the people affected. A clean DACA bill would pass, IMO. There are many upsides (such as a corps of young people eager to go into health care, which will be a burgeoning field); support for the Armed Services (which the Armed Services want) and legal status for a whole bunch of young people who will help defuse a demographic issue wherein we have too many oldish people vs. young people paying taxes. I'm sick about how it's been held hostage pending resolution of a whole bunch of other issues.

Just let the young people brought here as minors stay, unless they have earned expulsion by virtue of criminal records. It's that simple. And yet, long before Trump, they have been a "bargaining chip" that precludes a clean DACA bill. It's messed up, IMO. Leave chain migration and diversity lotteries and fences/walls alone, pass a clean DACA act. I'm pretty sure Lindsey Graham would support it and I know McCain would. (Also Flake). I'm less sure about the House. Please, anti-illegal-immigration activists, believe that billions have been spent for border security; the U.S. is not ignoring immigration laws; there are no de juris "open borders" and a lot of young people are being unfairly submitted to profound stress for no good reason.

The U.S. will gain by passing DACA. If nothing else, have Trump issue another executive order. One of the sickest things I've ever heard was Jeff Sessions' gloating remark that DACA has been "rescinded." Trump IMO actually has heart enough to understand the issue here but he's an ineffective advocate for such a policy. I know these kids/young people. Most want nothing more than a job in health care or to join the military. Mexican teenagers are some of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Not all of them, of course; but statistically they are much more likely to be an asset than a liability. Pass this bill. It's the right thing to do. There's a significant upside; minimal downside.

[/screed]

Last edited by Minoosh; 21st January 2018 at 02:42 PM.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 02:52 PM   #215
Minoosh
Philosopher

I'm no expert on federal election law, but in my state, at least informally, a candidate's "war chest" essentially belonged to the candidate, regardless of whether he or she even ran for office. There might be more regulation now. I just don't know. If someone here does, I'd like to hear the status of federal law on the issue.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 04:01 PM   #216
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think you misunderstand the issues, Minoosh.

You're falling for the GOP talking points which are getting a lot of play on the MSM.

DACA could have been addressed at any point. McConnell refuses to let bills come to the floor.

It's just like McConnell refusing to let anything come to the floor like Duckworth's bill to fund the military until the other budget issues are resolved.

McConnell, IMO, thinks he has a 2018 campaign issue here: make the Democrats look bad. It's a desperate attempt to counter the upcoming 'blue wave'.

And what would you have the Democrats do? Once again let the GOP walk all over them?

On top of that, all the negotiations with Trump really have been like trying to nail jello to the wall. Between Trump being inconsistent and McConnell still prioritizing making the Democrats look bad over anything else, you end up with this result.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st January 2018 at 04:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 04:08 PM   #217
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

And what would you have the Democrats do? Once again let the GOP walk all over them?
Yes
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 05:21 PM   #218
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to Stormy Daniels, Trump is obsessively afraid of sharks.

Originally Posted by Trump per Stormy
I donate to all these charities and I would never donate to any charity that helps sharks. I hope all the sharks die.
While this is absurd on several levels, of course the most absurd part is...
"I donate to all these charities"
Old 21st January 2018, 06:12 PM   #219
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Is this the place to say that it's lunacy to tie DACA to a whole bunch of huge issues? This is not Trump's fault. I've seen the "Dream Act" get hosed again and again as it's conflated with other immigration issues. I know these people; I don't know who's a DACA type because I don't talk to youngsters about their immigration status. But I know many of the people affected. A clean DACA bill would pass, IMO. There are many upsides (such as a corps of young people eager to go into health care, which will be a burgeoning field); support for the Armed Services (which the Armed Services want) and legal status for a whole bunch of young people who will help defuse a demographic issue wherein we have too many oldish people vs. young people paying taxes. I'm sick about how it's been held hostage pending resolution of a whole bunch of other issues.

Just let the young people brought here as minors stay, unless they have earned expulsion by virtue of criminal records. It's that simple. And yet, long before Trump, they have been a "bargaining chip" that precludes a clean DACA bill. It's messed up, IMO. Leave chain migration and diversity lotteries and fences/walls alone, pass a clean DACA act. I'm pretty sure Lindsey Graham would support it and I know McCain would. (Also Flake). I'm less sure about the House. Please, anti-illegal-immigration activists, believe that billions have been spent for border security; the U.S. is not ignoring immigration laws; there are no de juris "open borders" and a lot of young people are being unfairly submitted to profound stress for no good reason.

The U.S. will gain by passing DACA. If nothing else, have Trump issue another executive order. One of the sickest things I've ever heard was Jeff Sessions' gloating remark that DACA has been "rescinded." Trump IMO actually has heart enough to understand the issue here but he's an ineffective advocate for such a policy. I know these kids/young people. Most want nothing more than a job in health care or to join the military. Mexican teenagers are some of the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Not all of them, of course; but statistically they are much more likely to be an asset than a liability. Pass this bill. It's the right thing to do. There's a significant upside; minimal downside.

[/screed]
Trump will simply veto any bill containing DACA.
Old 21st January 2018, 06:28 PM   #220
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You seem to find him more consistent than I do. Frankly, I think it depends on the day or hour.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 06:31 PM   #221
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You seem to find him more consistent than I do. Frankly, I think it depends on the day or hour.
He can be consistent if he thinks someone has dissed him. Obama made a joke about him at a function, therefore he's intractably opposed to everything Obama ever said or did. Including DACA. And now the Dems have embarrassed him by tying DACA to funding the gubmint. He'll never EVER let that go.
Old 21st January 2018, 07:53 PM   #222
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I doubt he could be consistent for a whole hour. I put it down to the microsecond, as faint electrical impulses weakly struggle across the loosely-strung threads of fat-choked brain cells, sluggishly working around all the holes and patches of rot. The dim flickers of light are drowned in the fetid darkness and rising damp. Trump's brain is what you'd get if you filled a swamp with gravy and let it rot until it could fit inside a single lumpishly malformed skull. But I'd better stop before I say something hyperbolic or rude about him.
Old 21st January 2018, 08:01 PM   #223
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Yes

This really isn't going to end well for you people.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:11 PM   #224
Stacko
Philosopher

They cooked up a bogus terror report to cite to advance their xenophobia.

Quote:
But the Department of Homeland Security did not perform that analysis. DHS’ analysts did not contribute to the highly controversial report, The Daily Beast has learned.

According to a government source familiar with the episode, Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ office took charge of the report’s assemblage of statistics—which some terrorism analysts consider highly misleading—and sent it to DHS Secretary Kirstjen M. Nielsen for her imprimatur after it was all but finalized.

“The Trump administration is trying to turn counterterrorism into an immigration issue,” said Charles Kurzman of the University of North Carolina, where he tracks Muslim-American involvement in terrorism.

Career professional analysts at DHS communicated to the Justice Department that the data sought for the report simply did not exist within their department. DHS, multiple sources said, does not track or correlate international terrorism data by citizenship or country of origin, and have warned the Trump administration that doing so risks a misleading portrait of both terrorism and immigration.

The result was that the document released last week did not include the contributions of those career DHS officials tasked with providing professional and objective analysis. They were not asked to participate, and so the document did not reflect their input. The Justice Department took the lead on the report, as its public rollout indicated, complete with a senior Justice official conducting a White House press briefing – without a DHS counterpart.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:34 PM   #225
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
According to Stormy Daniels, Trump is obsessively afraid of sharks.
Originally Posted by Trump per Stormy
I donate to all these charities and I would never donate to any charity that helps sharks. I hope all the sharks die.
While this is absurd on several levels, of course the most absurd part is...
"I donate to all these charities"
You scamp.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 21st January 2018 at 08:35 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 08:44 PM   #226
Lurch
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think you misunderstand the issues, Minoosh.

You're falling for the GOP talking points which are getting a lot of play on the MSM.

DACA could have been addressed at any point. McConnell refuses to let bills come to the floor.

It's just like McConnell refusing to let anything come to the floor like Duckworth's bill to fund the military until the other budget issues are resolved.

McConnell, IMO, thinks he has a 2018 campaign issue here: make the Democrats look bad. It's a desperate attempt to counter the upcoming 'blue wave'.

On top of that, all the negotiations with Trump really have been like trying to nail jello to the wall. Between Trump being inconsistent and McConnell still prioritizing making the Democrats look bad over anything else, you end up with this result.

QFT!

McConnell is quite the villian of the piece. Even a politically naive Canadian like me can see this all so clearly.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2018, 10:28 PM   #227
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Zing!
That description might get a Twiiter Retribution; mind you, the Cadet, not the bonespur bit.
If she had called him "General Bonespur", he would have loved it.
Old 21st January 2018, 10:45 PM   #228
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That description might get a Twiiter Retribution; mind you, the Cadet, not the bonespur bit.
If she had called him "General Bonespur", he would have loved it.
She's trolling him. He can't resist this. Woman. Disabled. He might plumb new depths of petulant turdiness.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:07 AM   #229
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper

"The Government has performed an illegal operation and will now shut down"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:50 AM   #230
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
"The Government has performed an illegal operation and will now shut down"
the assumption on the Far-Right being that it will reboot with operating system USC 1.788
Old 22nd January 2018, 04:51 AM   #231
Octavo
Illuminator

Trump should look at what's happening in ZA. Chickens coming home to roost big time for years of corruption and graft. I'm sure it will be the same for Trump soon enough.
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:20 AM   #232
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Oops!

“Right now, in a number of states, the laws allow a baby to be born from his or her mother’s womb in the ninth month. It is wrong. It has to change.” President Donald J. Trump

I actually heard this live today and thought I had heard it wrong. Apparently not.
He meant to say Torn. I will give him that. I think the thing is focusing on the lie not the slight misspeak. Everyone does that now and then.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:30 AM   #233
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only if his staff tell him to. In the televised meeting he was fine with a clean DACA bill.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:31 AM   #234
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
She's trolling him. He can't resist this. Woman. Disabled. He might plumb new depths of petulant turdiness.
"I like pilots who don't get shot down!"
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:32 AM   #235
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
In the televised meeting he was fine with a clean DACA bill.
Only because he didn't understand what that meant.
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:33 AM   #236
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Only because he didn't understand what that meant.
Exactly the point, he doesn't understand any of what is going on. He will sign what his handlers tell him to sign.
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:33 AM   #237
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Only if his staff tell him to. In the televised meeting he was fine with a clean DACA bill.
Only because he had no idea what a "clean bill" was.....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:35 AM   #238
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly the point, he doesn't understand any of what is going on. He will sign what his handlers tell him to sign.
Not necessarily, sometimes he does/doesn't do things on a whim regardless of what advice he has received.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2018, 05:38 AM   #239
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Only because he had no idea what a "clean bill" was.....
Or maybe a tactic to bed Nancy?
Old 22nd January 2018, 06:37 AM   #240
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

I just realized... we're dealing with a twisted real life version of Chance the Gardener/Chauncey Gardiner, with arrogance replacing Chance's easy-going innocence. There's even the obsessive TV watching.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics