IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandre Bissonnette , anti-Islam incidents , Canada incidents , Quebec incidents , shooting incidents , terrorism incidents

Old 30th January 2017, 12:02 AM   #1
Castro
Muse

Québec mosque shooting.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-canada-deaths
Quote:
...Six people have been killed and eight injured at a mosque in Québec City, police have said, in a shooting Canada’s prime minister denounced as a “terrorist attack...”.
Oh baby baby it's a wild world.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 12:12 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So much for escaping the madness by going to Canada.

It's not a wild world, it's a sick sick world right now. I do wish all these white supremacist creeps would go back into the woodwork.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 12:13 AM   #3
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I hope it wasn't a "retribution" terrorist attack as it appears to be.

Two suspects are in custody, so we'll know within a couple of days I suppose.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-canada-deaths

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 30th January 2017 at 12:15 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:05 AM   #4
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Any idea who the suspects are?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:07 AM   #5
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Nope, but we'll probably find out within 48 hours.

McHrozni
Old 30th January 2017, 01:25 AM   #6
Castro
Muse

According to Radio-Canada:
Quote:
Une source policière a confié à Radio-Canada que les deux suspects sont des étudiants inscrits à l’Université Laval. L'un d'eux serait d'origine marocaine.
(translation: A police source said to Radio-Canada that the two suspects were students at Laval university. One of them might be of moroccan origin.)
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...tirs-policiers

Last edited by Castro; 30th January 2017 at 01:30 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:31 AM   #7
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
According to Radio-Canada:

(translation: A police source said to Radio-Canada that the two suspects were students at Laval university. One of them might be of moroccan origin.)
http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...tirs-policiers
Muslims! I knew it. It's always Muslims.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:32 AM   #8
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Some local french paper say one is canadian of origin the other of arabian origin but who knows what that means (you can be arabian and any religion, or they used it as porte manteau for middle eastern or muslim - can be all that in french slang) .
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:34 AM   #9
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It's too early to say that.

McHrozni
Old 30th January 2017, 01:34 AM   #10
Aepervius

here is one which mention the same in english from a quebecoise french tv :

http://magafeed.com/breaking-tva-rep...f-arab-origin/
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:36 AM   #11
Aepervius

Keep in mind that NOTHING was confirmed by official source...

ETA:; the translation is bad , the guy in the video says "two persons of origin arabs and quebecoise" which does not necessarily means one of each, they could be both quebecois of arabs origin. Or this call be fluff sensationalism journalism which has no basis.

Last edited by Aepervius; 30th January 2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old 30th January 2017, 01:36 AM   #12
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
here is one which mention the same in english from a quebecoise french tv :

http://magafeed.com/breaking-tva-rep...f-arab-origin/
It appears just a Google translate of the other source. We should wait for this to clear up, especially in the time of fake news.

McHrozni
Old 30th January 2017, 01:39 AM   #13
Caper
Philosopher

Anne Coulter is a terrible person.... But she does have a law that is pretty accurate in these situations.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:39 AM   #14
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
It's too early to say that.

McHrozni
I'm saying it. Religion poisons everything. Even religion.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:40 AM   #15
Castro
Muse

I don't see any information about their religion or motivation for the time being.

Last edited by Castro; 30th January 2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 30th January 2017, 01:40 AM   #16
Aepervius

Yes I am sure she has. A "law" which would probably have been utterly wrong less than 2 decades ago, and will be wrong in the future, and does not really apply to the blond guy Dylan I am betting (or Breivik).

We call that "prejudice" here around.

Last edited by Aepervius; 30th January 2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 30th January 2017, 01:49 AM   #17
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Anne Coulter is a terrible person.... But she does have a law that is pretty accurate in these situations.
Which law is that?

McHrozni
Old 30th January 2017, 01:50 AM   #18
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Which law is that?

McHrozni
Coulter's law dictates that the longer that it takes the media to identify the shooter.

... the less likely he is white and Christian.
Caper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:54 AM   #19
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Coulter's law dictates that the longer that it takes the media to identify the shooter.

I can't argue with that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...c-city-mosque/

"It seemed to me that they had a Quebecois accent. They started to fire, and they they shot they yelled, 'Allahu akbar!' The bullets hit people that were praying. People who were praying lost their lives. A bullet passed right over my head," said the witness who asked to remain anonymous.

We should be very careful not to ascribe that too quickly to anyone. At the first glance this looks like a retribution attack on Muslims, on the second it looks like Muslim on Muslim violence so prevalent in Islamic world.

We should wait until at least tomorrow to see what the investigation reveals. These reports could easily be fake, but it could just as easily be something else entirely. We'll see.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 30th January 2017 at 03:37 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:56 AM   #20
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I'm saying it. Religion poisons everything. Even religion.
While it is possible you're right it is still too early to say that.

McHrozni
Old 30th January 2017, 01:57 AM   #21
Aepervius

That does not work in the least in many country which have law in palce to protect the identity of suspect, at least until charged. As such it can only reflect her own prejudice.
Old 30th January 2017, 02:37 AM   #22
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

No politics right now, just a thought for those killed. Whoever did this are jerks who belong behind bars.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 02:41 AM   #23
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
That does not work in the least in many country which have law in palce to protect the identity of suspect, at least until charged. As such it can only reflect her own prejudice.
Dude. It exists on the Urban dictionary. No it is not a real scientific law. Just an observation that seemingly holds true in this time and place. Who did these crimes are used to further ones politics. On both sides. It's a running joke. Authorities get all worked up about protecting effected groups from backlash. It's just a fact that when the perp is white, the fact is usually released quickly, I guess to avoid the majority population to get worked up into a frenzy and go killing minorities. And the other aspect is media have sources, media generally leans left and if their source can confirm their narrative they usually run with it. The fact that we don't no who did this yet, increases the likelihood in this case. Even though the moment it happened a Muslim on Muslim attack in Quecbec city, seemed very remote, especially considering the strong ties between Quebec and France and know the current issues with Muslim integration into French society. Initially it was almost assuredly an attack by someone deeply entrenched with these ties and hatred of Muslims along those lines. That and Trumps ridiculous EO seemed a sure thing. But as times passes and reporters aren't revealing their source knowledge and government isn't releasing perp details, the very unlikely scenario becomes more of a possibility. Hence Coulter's law.
Old 30th January 2017, 02:57 AM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah, right in my own city. I hope this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen here.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 03:33 AM   #25
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yeah, right in my own city. I hope this sort of nonsense wouldn't happen here.
One or two sickos is all it takes. Sad.
Old 30th January 2017, 07:32 AM   #26
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
No politics right now, just a thought for those killed. Whoever did this are jerks who belong behind bars.
Yes.

I feel sick inside.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 07:36 AM   #27
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

DailyMail...

Quote:
Alexandre Bissonnet and Mohamed Khadir were arrested shortly after the attack at Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center at around 8pm on Sunday night. Both of the suspects are students at the city's Université Laval.
Old 30th January 2017, 07:41 AM   #28
Arcade22
Philosopher

Now lets imagine if two radical Islamist had opened fire at a bunch of church parishioners and killed a bunch of them. Suddenly it's okay for people to panic and be fearful of Muslims who could kill them at a moments notice.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 10:22 AM   #29
Caper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Now lets imagine if two radical Islamist had opened fire at a bunch of church parishioners and killed a bunch of them. Suddenly it's okay for people to panic and be fearful of Muslims who could kill them at a moments notice.
This is crazy . Two guys arrested. One guy is apparently just a witness. The other being charged. In the end it might be a white guy attacking a mosque.
Old 30th January 2017, 10:35 AM   #30
Castro
Muse

http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2017/01/3...mohamed-khadir
Quote:
Alexandre Bissonnette est maintenant considéré comme le seul suspect de l’attaque dans la mosquée de Québec.Un autre homme, Mohamed Khadir, avait été arrêté, mais est maintenant considéré comme un témoin.
translation: Alexandre Bissonnette is now considered as the only suspect in the Québec mosque shooting. Another man, Mohamed Khadir, had been arrested but is now considered as a witness.

Last edited by Castro; 30th January 2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 30th January 2017, 10:39 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2017/01/3...mohamed-khadir

translation: Alexandre Bissonnette is now considered as the only suspect in the Québec mosque shooting. Another man, Mohamed Khadir,was arrested but is now considered as a witness.
This is the photo on the newsfeed that claims to be of the alleged shooter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photoallegedshooter.jpg (35.2 KB, 17 views)
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 12:20 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Shape Of Things To Come in the US, sadly.
My fear is that the next terrorist attack in the US by a nutjob Jihadist..which is inevitable....touches off a progrom against Muslims in the US.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th January 2017 at 12:21 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 12:30 PM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Shape Of Things To Come in the US, sadly.
My fear is that the next terrorist attack in the US by a nutjob Jihadist..which is inevitable....touches off a progrom against Muslims in the US.
Not just in the US, I fear.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 12:54 PM   #34
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Some more about the alleged shooter. Apparently he is an internet tough-guy of some repute:

Quote:
Alexandre Bissonnette est connu dans le milieu communautaire de Québec pour ses critiques en ligne. En voyant sa photo circuler dans les médias comme le suspect dans la tuerie de dimanche soir, François Deschamps, qui gère la page du groupe Bienvenue aux réfugiés, dit avoir reconnu immédiatement l'un de ses «*trolls*», soit une personne faisant du harcèlement en ligne. «*Ça faisait un an qu'on le voyait aller*», a-t-il dit.

L'administrateur dit ne pas avoir en tête des attaques précises ciblant les musulmans, mais plutôt les étrangers en général. M.*Deschamps indique que Bissonnette s'en prenait surtout aux groupes féministes, qu'il qualifiait de «*féminazi*». À sa connaissance, le jeune homme n'était toutefois pas proche des groupes ouvertement racistes.
Translation:

Alexandre Bissonnette is known in the community of Quebec for his criticism online. Seeing his photo circulating in the media as the suspect in the killing of Sunday night, François Deschamps, who manages page group welcome to the refugees, said have immediately recognized one of his 'trolls', either a person of harassment online. "It's been a year that we saw him go", he said.

The Administrator said do not have in mind specific attacks targeting Muslims, but rather foreigners in general. Mr. Deschamps indicates that Bissonnette was especially feminist groups, which he termed "feminazi". However, to his knowledge, the young man was not close to openly racist groups.

Source
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:14 PM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

Google translate?

Old 30th January 2017, 01:49 PM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Not just in the US, I fear.
Kristellnacht 2.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 01:51 PM   #37
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Some more about the alleged shooter. Apparently he is an internet tough-guy of some repute:

Translation:

Alexandre Bissonnette is known in the community of Quebec for his criticism online. Seeing his photo circulating in the media as the suspect in the killing of Sunday night, François Deschamps, who manages page group welcome to the refugees, said have immediately recognized one of his 'trolls', either a person of harassment online. "It's been a year that we saw him go", he said.

The Administrator said do not have in mind specific attacks targeting Muslims, but rather foreigners in general. Mr. Deschamps indicates that Bissonnette was especially feminist groups, which he termed "feminazi". However, to his knowledge, the young man was not close to openly racist groups.

Source
An admirer of Marine Lepen apparently. I'm not surprised.
Old 30th January 2017, 02:04 PM   #38
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

An admirer of Marine Lepen apparently. I'm not surprised.
And the satanic cheeto. If he's a separatist, we'll hit the xenophobic trifecta.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #39
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I must confess that I have not been an avid consumer of mainstream TV news and some of the other sources Ann Coulter may refer to, but it strikes me that the very opposite is true. When a suspect in a crime is a minority, it seems almost automatic that that is brought up from the start, while nothing at all is said of those who are of the majority. Of course, I get most of my news from the paper, so maybe by the time things are printed they know what they're talking about. Sad.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 02:46 PM   #40
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So much for escaping the madness by going to Canada.

It's not a wild world, it's a sick sick world right now. I do wish all these white supremacist creeps would go back into the woodwork.
I like pushing them up into their own rectums until they pop out of this universe.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events