IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2017, 01:35 PM   #1
michael44
Critical Thinker

Current social media rant against Syrian refugee's

For the record, i'm all for accepting Syria's refugee's, especially since they've suffered such inhumane atrocities ever since the Syrian civil war began. As a result, i've been met with the usual non-objective opposition labeling me as simply a "libtard", or offering up various military experiences as proof of their argument (as seen below). Having not ever served in the military (diabetes and blindness), can anyone here share a comparative experience to what I feel is nothing but a right wingers attempt at convincing others to ban Syrian refugee's simply because their mostly Muslims?

"I was asked to share this by the author: I don't typically go on rants or express my political beliefs here, but I just have to get this off my mind. As some of you know, I'm active duty Army. Aside from that, I am a medic. I've spent 3 years of my life overseas in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I've seen some pretty atrocious sites caused by war, from both sides. I've picked up blown up body parts of friends and I've saved the lives of guys who were trying to kill me and my guys right before I was keeping them from their 72 virgins or whatever they believe awaits them on the other side. Here is an unbiased truthful view to the Syrian refugee situation. My first deployment to Iraq, in 2006, my unit voluntarily ran a childrens burn clinic outside of the FOB. It was a constant target for attacks. You would think that people wouldn't shoot mortars or rockets at their own children, but you would be wrong. We saw hundreds of children, from infants to 18 year olds. The overwhelming majority of the kids we saw (90% or better) were clear cases of abuse. These parents were literally dunking their kids in boiling water, or throwing hot chai at their kids faces... Yes, we're talking about babies, toddlers, kids not even old enough to understand why their parents would do these things to them. HUNDREDS of kids... We saw quite a few of these kids that were sexually abused, both girls and boys. Their parents acted if nothing was wrong with this, even when confronted by our doctors. This is the mentality of their society, not the viewpoint of a few individuals... these beliefs have been accepted to the vast majority of these people. Many were educated, well dressed, well spoken men, but yet, they still raped their own children, and kept chai boys (if you don't know what that means, google it.) During that deployment, we also captured the 3rd largest EFP cache that had ever been captured. There were hundreds of copper plates, homemade explosives, fake curbs to house the EFP's, hundreds of mortars and rockets and howitzer rounds, even an anti-aircraft gun. All of these things came from one place, Syria. Almost every single IED or EFP we found or hit could be traced back to Syria... A lot of the terrorists we captured were from SYRIA... Imagine that. Fast forward a couple years, and I find myself in Helmand Province, in Afghanistan... We had a group of Afghani's that were paid to help guard our little mud hut in the middle of an Afghan village (I wasn't on a fob) These guys also kept a "chai boy" A boy, about 11 years old, who was there to serve these guys sexually. We heard him being sexually assaulted many times, but there was nothing we could do about it. We asked the police, the Afghan Army, and we were told the same thing every time.... it's their culture, and accepted as the norm.... Once again, we captured Syrian made explosives, weapons, and other items... We found Syrian passports during raids... And people out there want us to let these people into the US, with our kids, and near our wives. Near our schools, near our churches, synogogues, malls. Places where we should never have to fear being blown up, shot, kidnapped and tortured... Don't forget what they did to the Egyptian Coptic Christians, or the Jordanian pilot... Don't forget about what they do to rape victims! They stone these women to death for being raped! They behead their own people. Do you think they will show mercy to you? Look at the rape statistics in Denmark, Sweden, Belgium. Facts don't lie... 97% of rapes committed in Sweden were committed by MUSLIM IMMIGRANTS... And you want 10,000 of these people here? Even if just 1% of these so called "refugees" were ISIS supporters or active ISIS terrorists, would that be acceptable to you? Chew on it... think about it. Take a good look at your kids or your wife and decide if the risk is worth taking. Feel free to share this if you want"

Note: I prolly should just ignore this. But.
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 03:07 PM   #2
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

"Terrible things happen in war, so let these people stay there."

As justification for racism, I give it a 2/10.

To be generous, I'll also say this: No, we shouldn't welcome known rapists or known ISIS members into the United States as refugees. Duh.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 5th February 2017 at 03:10 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 03:10 PM   #3
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

That's horrific. Sounds like a very good reason to want to leave and move to a saner country. It's an odd argument to list all those atrocities and then conclude we shouldn't do all we can to help these people escape.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Childlike Empress
Banned

Utterly lame propaganda. It's always kind of funny when people pretend that Syria is anything like Afghanistan.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 03:39 PM   #5
mgidm86
Philosopher

My reasons for getting general immigration under control are mainly economic. Yes, I'm concerned about radical infiltrators, but for me they are two mostly separate concerns, and terrorism is the least of of the two for me.

This immediate refugee crisis will pale in comparison to what we will be facing in a few more decades, especially with sub-Saharan Africa. What are we and the rest of the world (including Africa) going to do about that?
Old 5th February 2017, 03:41 PM   #6
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

It takes SJW logic about Bowls of M&Ms, lived experiences etc. and turns it against Muslims. Still bigoted.
Old 5th February 2017, 04:20 PM   #7
michael44
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
"Terrible things happen in war, so let these people stay there."

As justification for racism, I give it a 2/10.

To be generous, I'll also say this: No, we shouldn't welcome known rapists or known ISIS members into the United States as refugees. Duh.
Agreed. Its just that recently, at least for me, its been quite difficult to sort out whether or not these type of posts are genuine, or just flat out propaganda i.e, hogwash. So do you think this was from an actual Afghanistan war Veteran, or complete BS?
michael44 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 04:33 PM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by michael44 View Post
Agreed. Its just that recently, at least for me, its been quite difficult to sort out whether or not these type of posts are genuine, or just flat out propaganda i.e, hogwash. So do you think this was from an actual Afghanistan war Veteran, or complete BS?
Yes.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 04:45 PM   #9
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It's easy for me with something like this because it doesn't matter if it's true or not. Whether it's true or false, it still doesn't reasonably explain why someone would want to abandon victims of war. Anyone who sees such horror and doesn't want something better for the victims - even with risk involved - needs mental health counseling.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 05:19 PM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

"Here is an unbiased truthful view to the Syrian refugee situation."

(proceeds to describe a bunch of people who aren't Syrian refugees)

Thanks. Next?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 06:58 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
"Here is an unbiased truthful view to the Syrian refugee situation."

(proceeds to describe a bunch of people who aren't Syrian refugees)

Thanks. Next?
It describes observations supporting the conclusion that Syria produces and exports terrorist insurgents. If the observations are accurate, then it suggests that people coming from Syria should probably be closely scrutinized, and not casually admitted into any other country, regardless of whether they claim to be refugees.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

It's very easy to believe this narrative. Just one step to the right, or alt-right, media and you are swarmed with frightful statistics and stories of Swedish gang rapes.

Quote:
At the same time, the pervasive fear of refugee-related crime on display both in German public-opinion polls and Hoaxmap rumors is out of sync with the data so far on the actual relationship between refugees and crime rates in Germany. Recent numbers from Germany’s Federal Criminal Police Agency (BKA) suggest that the influx of refugees into the country this fall had a low impact on crime numbers relative to the natural uptick that would happen with any population increase: Although the number of refugees in the country increased by 440 percent between 2014 and 2015, the number of crimes committed by refugees only increased by 79 percent. (The number of crimes against refugees increased as well.) Furthermore, according to Deutsche Welle’s analysis of the report, the number of offenses increased in the first half of 2015 but “stagnated” in the second half, precisely when most of the refugees were arriving and the rumor mill switched into overdrive. And although sexual offenses account for over 25 percent of the rumors on the Hoaxmap, the BKA data showed that only 1 percent of refugee-related crimes fell into the sexual offense category.
Linky.

Quote:
German officials also dispute claims that crime levels have increased because of the refugee influx last year. In an unusual move, Germany's Interior Ministry and the Federal Criminal Police Office released crime data for 2015 and the first quarter of 2016 in June. "Immigrants are not more criminal than Germans," a ministry spokesman was quoted as saying. Syrians, Iraqis and Afghans committed fewer crimes than refugees from other countries. Overall, crime levels have declined over the first quarter of the year, officials said.
Linky.

As a regular alt-right peruser, they really love talking about rape.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:07 PM   #13
Checkmite

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It describes observations supporting the conclusion that Syria produces and exports terrorist insurgents. If the observations are accurate, then it suggests that people coming from Syria should probably be closely scrutinized, and not casually admitted into any other country, regardless of whether they claim to be refugees.
It describes people who were not Syrian refugees.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2017, 08:31 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It describes people who were not Syrian refugees.
And yet it's still possible to reason about people who claim to be Syrian refugees, from such descriptions.
Old 5th February 2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

And yet it's still possible to reason about people who claim to be Syrian refugees, from such descriptions.
No, it doesn't, not even a little bit.

If a French tourist spends some time in West Baltimore, seeing drug dealers and drug users on street corners, along with some accompanying violence, would it be reasonable for the French to assume that Americans are dangerous criminals if they went to France?
Old 5th February 2017, 08:59 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
No, it doesn't, not even a little bit.

If a French tourist spends some time in West Baltimore, seeing drug dealers and drug users on street corners, along with some accompanying violence, would it be reasonable for the French to assume that Americans are dangerous criminals if they went to France?
I'm not convinced that your analogy is sufficiently analogous to be worth addressing.

Why not discuss the thing in its own terms?
Old 5th February 2017, 09:00 PM   #17
Checkmite

Not at all.

It's inevitable that every single Syrian an American serviceman would encounter fighting in Afghanistan on behalf of the Taliban, would be a militant or terrorist type. It's*only the kind of Syrian you*can reasonably expect to be in that situation.

But it says nothing about Syrians at large. It's silly to even draw such an inference when the Syrians who traveled to Afghanistan to fight for the Taliban didn't sneak into the country claiming to be refugees.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:29 AM   #18
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

That's one of the tragedies of Trumps' so-called "administration". It takes an action that appears to satisfy a concern but does nothing of the sort, but is also illegal, and then fumes about it being declared, well, illegal.

There are legitimate concerns about refugees from Syria, ISIS in particular has made a point to infiltrate its operatives among them. There are rational approaches to dealing with such issues - similar to what South Korea is doing with North Korean defectors or what West Germany did with East German defectors - but simply banning them for a few months and then playing the victim when the ban is struck down as illegal really just panders to the base, nothing more.

McHrozni
Old 6th February 2017, 12:33 AM   #19
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is that about 999 out of 1000 or so are indeed refugees who seek a better country of refuge than Turkey (whether or not they're still refugees is a matter of debate). Some think we should ban all of them for that 1 who will likely do a small calamity some time down the line, others think that a small calamity from time to time is acceptable for the sake of the remaining 999, it's highly unlikely for any single individual to become a victim of that calamity anyway (but the chance of someone suffering from it approaches 100%). As far as I'm concerned both approaches are flawed to the point of being useless, and choosing between the two is a false dichotomy.

There is a third way, which is logistically difficult, but legal and doable. As I mentioned earlier, West Germany used it and South Korea is still using it, for much the same purpose and for similar issues as we have now. The answer is that every refugee (or whatever) needs to spend a few months in a special camp for people like him first, he is taught about the society he is moving to, he learns the language and learns what will be expected of him. He's also taught what behavior is acceptable and what behavior isn't acceptable, with examples (e.g. Cologne groping attacks). He's also screened for extremism in the meantime, which is communicated abundantly to the public.

The problem with this is obviously that you need to provide all of that for thousands if not tens of thousands of people for months at a time. This isn't easy or cheap, Germans and Koreans have (or had) orders of magnitude fewer defectors to process. Still, given the circumstances that's probably the best way to go.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 6th February 2017 at 12:42 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:28 AM   #20
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

That's not current - it made the rounds as early as November 2015 (and I think I tracked it back to the original Facebook poster, but he's since removed the post). From a later post of his, the "burn clinic" was the Scania Burn Clinic, a small clinic run by military volunteers at a convoy resupply base south of Baghdad. As a click-through of the results found at that Google search shows, the clinic's patients were not at all the way the original poster described them.

The rest of his story is obviously wrong as well. In 2006 Iraq (and later Afghanistan), ALL the IEDs and EFPs (and the terrorists who used them) were from Syria? Five years before the start of the Syrian Civil War? Uh huh.

Pretty much everywhere I could find mentions of weapons seized in Iraq that were described as coming from outside Iraq, they were described as coming from Iran, with Syria not even mentioned anywhere. For instance, I found this article from 2007 describing a cache seized by the US military, containing a list of weapons an awful lot like the one detailed in the rant, but sourced to Iran, not Syria.

The practice of bacha bazi is a Central Asian (ie, Afghanistan) cultural practice, not an Iraqi (or, needless to say, Syrian) one.

And the rape statistics mentioned in the rant are just pure fiction.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 08:40 AM   #21
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

I've spent 3 years of my life overseas in both Afghanistan and Iraq.
As part of an invading foreign military force.

Quote:
guys who were trying to kill me and my guys
Pretty much SOP when you invade a country no?
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 09:01 AM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

For the record, i'm all for accepting Syria's refugee's, especially since they've suffered such inhumane atrocities ever since the Syrian civil war began. As a result, i've been met with the usual non-objective opposition labeling me as simply a "libtard"
Social media arguments about any possible topic you might consider are almost always non-objective. This is no exception, and it isn't limited to one side either. For example, remember this famous photo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...eless_body.jpg

Well, here's another less famous angle. And position.

http://thedeclination.com/wp-content...VOVMAAtXSN.jpg

There's nothing objective about that famous photo. It was staged for emotional appeal.

I do not say this in order to claim either side is right or wrong. But if you're looking to social media for objective arguments, you're tilting at windmills. The medium is the message, as they say, and the message of social media is all about appeals to emotion and group identification.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 09:12 AM   #23
Checkmite

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
That's not current - it made the rounds as early as November 2015 (and I think I tracked it back to the original Facebook poster, but he's since removed the post). From a later post of his, the "burn clinic" was the Scania Burn Clinic, a small clinic run by military volunteers at a convoy resupply base south of Baghdad. As a click-through of the results found at that Google search shows, the clinic's patients were not at all the way the original poster described them.
This reminds me quite strikingly of certain email-circulated "reports" in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, claiming to have been written by volunteers who went to New Orleans to help, and describing the (black) victims and evacuees en masse of animalistic behavior, abusing and spitting at relief workers, doing things like throwing emergency food and water supplies on the ground and screaming invective-laden demands for "McDonald's cheeseburgers and Cokes" instead; other stories allegedly described busloads of evacuated arriving for instance at highway rest areas for short breaks and the crowds of unruly and ungrateful black people leaving those facilities utterly trashed and destroyed, and so forth. Absolutely none of these incidents was able to be independently corroborated; and named relief workers who could be verified to have actually been in New Orleans at the time have never described anything but polite and grateful, if heartbroken, victims of the hurricane.

Last edited by Checkmite; 6th February 2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:46 AM   #24
michael44
Critical Thinker

The rest of his story is obviously wrong as well. In 2006 Iraq (and later Afghanistan), ALL the IEDs and EFPs (and the terrorists who used them) were from Syria? Five years before the start of the Syrian Civil War? Uh huh.

Pretty much everywhere I could find mentions of weapons seized in Iraq that were described as coming from outside Iraq, they were described as coming from Iran, with Syria not even mentioned anywhere. For instance, I found this article from 2007 describing a cache seized by the US military, containing a list of weapons an awful lot like the one detailed in the rant, but sourced to Iran, not Syria.

The practice of bacha bazi is a Central Asian (ie, Afghanistan) cultural practice, not an Iraqi (or, needless to say, Syrian) one.

And the rape statistics mentioned in the rant are just pure fiction.
Thanks for doing the research. That i'm quite slow at pouring over text, it really would have taken me quite sometime to have sorted through all the above inconsistencies.
Old 6th February 2017, 01:50 PM   #25
Donal
Philosopher

In other words, what we've already been doing. So what is the point of this discussion?
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 02:06 PM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
In other words, what we've already been doing. So what is the point of this discussion?
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think this discussion has a point.
Old 6th February 2017, 03:16 PM   #27
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Utterly lame propaganda. It's always kind of funny when people pretend that Syria is anything like Afghanistan.
True that.

Russia couldn't seal the deal in Afghanistan when people started shooting back. In Syria, they just drop cluster bombs on the civilian population and fly away like the cowards they are.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2017, 04:35 PM   #28
Fudbucker
Philosopher

We should be wary of immigrants from any country that has profound human rights abuses.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 04:08 AM   #29
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
We should be wary of immigrants from any country that has profound human rights abuses.
I readily admit Australia is guilty of such, even now. So I guess I'm due for heavier scrutiny on my next US visit?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 04:59 AM   #30
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

They could well be both - originating in Iran, but coming to Iraq through Syria.

There are four significant road connections between Iraq and Syria, three of whom are near or in Sunni areas where rebellion was ongoing at the time. There are just three such connections with Iran, just one of whom is in or near Arab Sunni part of the state. One of the roads to Syria is actually a highway, or at least what goes for a highway in that part of the world.

http://www.globalcitymap.com/iraq/im...q-road-map.gif

Syrian government, being an Iranian ally if not an outright puppet regime, would have few qualms about aiding Iraqi rebels, especially against US forces. It could well be both are true.

McHrozni
Old 7th February 2017, 06:59 AM   #31
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

That's rather tenuous, since not only would that still mean the weapons are Iranian and not Syrian as the Facebook poster claimed, there's still no evidence that these weapon caches were traced back through Syria to Iran. The poster's argument was not that the Syrian government (that is incidentally also the target of these terrorists) helped Iran supply Iranian weapons to (Shia) Iraqi insurgents, but that these are specifically Syrian weapons used by specifically Syrian terrorists (Sunni terrorists, like ISIS) and that's why refugees from Syria should be banned.

In any case, though, the weapon cache described in my link above, that resembles the one depicted in the Facebook post to a remarkable degree, was uncovered in Diyala Province. And Diyala Province is not connected to Syria by the roads shown in your image, but it does share a rather long border (and road connections) directly with Iran.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni

Last edited by A'isha; 7th February 2017 at 07:09 AM.
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 12:53 PM   #32
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...eless_body.jpg

Well, here's another less famous angle. And position.

http://thedeclination.com/wp-content...VOVMAAtXSN.jpg

There's nothing objective about that famous photo. It was staged for emotional appeal.
What you call "staging" an artist would call "composition".

Not a great example.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 01:02 PM   #33
xjx388

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Not a great example.
Moving the body from where it was found then posing it in such a manner goes much further beyond mere composition.
Old 7th February 2017, 01:56 PM   #34
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post

Not a great example.
1) Moving the body is not merely composition.
2) It wasn't presented as art, it was presented as news.
3) Art is not objective.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 07:00 PM   #35
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I readily admit Australia is guilty of such, even now. So I guess I'm due for heavier scrutiny on my next US visit?
Except that's not true. If a person were given a choice to live in either Australia, or say, Yemen, you know which one they'll choose.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2017, 09:07 PM   #36
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, we are. We get other countries to accept the despicable immigrants who come from those countries. The Shah. Marcos.

Why should we be more wary of the victims, which I assume is what you're saying? Are you saying that years of being a victim is going to make you prone to terrorism? Or are you saying that the repressive human-right abusing people in power are infiltrating the refugee camps?

I think you've got a concept buried in there, somewhere but damned if I can figure it out.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 01:08 AM   #37
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

In any case, though, the weapon cache described in my link above, that resembles the one depicted in the Facebook post to a remarkable degree, was uncovered in Diyala Province. And Diyala Province is not connected to Syria by the roads shown in your image, but it does share a rather long border (and road connections) directly with Iran.
Maybe, but don't put too much on that. Syrian border is less than a day away, and given that weapons were sourced to Iran, that border was definitely watched for weapons smuggling. Syrian border might have been more pours.

Smugglers don't always choose the most obvious or the most convenient route for reasons that should be readily apparent, I would say. If a cache of Iranian weapons were uncovered at the border with Iran and with George W. Bush at the helm and with US forces all over Iraq ... things could well go south for Iran, fast. If I was smuggling weapons from Iran to Iraq under those circumstances, I'd strongly consider Syrian route, especially for provinces bordering Iran.

That doesn't mean that's definitely what happened, but I would be surprised if at least some - possibly but not likely all - Iranian weapons didn't flow to Iraq through Syria.

McHrozni
Old 9th February 2017, 01:22 AM   #38
Archie Gemmill Goal
Banned

Except that's not true. If a person were given a choice to live in either Australia, or say, Yemen, you know which one they'll choose.
What's that got to do with your point?

The US is guilty of human right abuses should other countries not allow Americans to immigrate?
Archie Gemmill Goal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 03:51 AM   #39
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Moving the body from where it was found then posing it in such a manner goes much further beyond mere composition.
...in the era of "fake news" you would need to provide more evidence that "the body was moved and then posed" than a couple of random photographs.

From reading the wikipedia and from the translated cite: the picture shows two different boys.

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/nei-...bedre/60490490

If you have evidence to show otherwise, please present it here.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
1) Moving the body is not merely composition.
2) It wasn't presented as art, it was presented as news.
3) Art is not objective.
1) There is no evidence the body was moved.

2) I am a published editorial photographer. I don't shoot art. But composition is important.

3) Photography is not and has never been objective. The image will always be from the point of view of the photographer.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 04:06 AM   #40
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Maybe, but don't put too much on that. Syrian border is less than a day away, and given that weapons were sourced to Iran, that border was definitely watched for weapons smuggling. Syrian border might have been more pours.

Smugglers don't always choose the most obvious or the most convenient route for reasons that should be readily apparent, I would say. If a cache of Iranian weapons were uncovered at the border with Iran and with George W. Bush at the helm and with US forces all over Iraq ... things could well go south for Iran, fast. If I was smuggling weapons from Iran to Iraq under those circumstances, I'd strongly consider Syrian route, especially for provinces bordering Iran.

That doesn't mean that's definitely what happened, but I would be surprised if at least some - possibly but not likely all - Iranian weapons didn't flow to Iraq through Syria.
It wouldn't surprise me either. Though if that were the case for the Dabiya cache, it obviously didn't work out as Iran intended since the origin was determined to be the source country of Iran and not the intermediary country of Syria without much apparent difficulty.

However, it will take a lot more than that kind of speculation in order to make the specific assertions in the Facebook post quoted in the OP anything more than fiction.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events