IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandre Bissonnette , anti-Islam incidents , Canada incidents , Quebec incidents , shooting incidents , terrorism incidents

Old 30th January 2017, 02:53 PM   #41
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
That does not work in the least in many country which have law in palce to protect the identity of suspect, at least until charged. As such it can only reflect her own prejudice.
Of which she has many and all are offensive to real people!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 04:23 PM   #42
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

He was just one of those "harmless" right wing trolls that enjoyed denigrating feminism and refugees.

Quote:
The suspect in the deadly attack on a Quebec City mosque was known in the city's activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump.

Mr. Bissonnette's online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.

Vincent Boissoneault, a student in international relations at Laval University, grew up with Mr. Bissonnette and was friends with him on Facebook. He said they frequently clashed on politics when Mr. Bissonnette attacked refugees or expressed support for Ms. Le Pen or Mr. Trump.

"I can tell you he was certainly no Muslim convert. I wrote him off as a xenophobe. I didn't even think of him as totally racist, but he was enthralled by a borderline racist nationalist movement," Mr. Boissoneault said.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 04:33 PM   #43
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Mr. Bissonnette's online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.
Indeed. Radicalization almost always follows this same script. It is not at all particular to any one belief system.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 05:48 PM   #44
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

That does not work in the least in many country which have law in palce to protect the identity of suspect, at least until charged. As such it can only reflect her own prejudice.
Meanwhile in other countries: [Sean Spicer hints Quebec City mosque shooting justifies Trump travel ban]
Old 30th January 2017, 05:52 PM   #45
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Did they add Canada to the list or did they go all in on the Fox story that Fox attempted to flush down the memory hole?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 06:07 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Did they add Canada to the list or did they go all in on the Fox story that Fox attempted to flush down the memory hole?
God, is Spencer that stupid? I guess so.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 06:08 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Chris Htichens would be appaled at having this creep as a fan.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th January 2017 at 06:14 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 06:27 PM   #48
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Spicer is just a shameless liar.
Old 30th January 2017, 06:27 PM   #49
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Muslims! I knew it. It's always Muslims.
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Anne Coulter is a terrible person.... But she does have a law that is pretty accurate in these situations.
Would you like that crow medium or well-done? Albeit Caper was simply referencing Coulter, who feeds only on her own bile and is not capable of eating crow, so he can get a bye.
Old 30th January 2017, 06:53 PM   #50
applecorped
Banned

Kristellnacht 2.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 07:25 PM   #51
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Oh, the sadness in the right wing blogosphere and alt-right. They were all over the news that one was inferentially a mooslim, all picking up on the "source that wished to remain anonymous" who said that bullets whizzed over his head as "Allahu Akhbar" was shouted.

@Caper, How's that "rule" working out. So we can all now comfortably return to the known facts? Coulter is a reprehensible white nationalist who makes crap up that the gullible repeat on the internet.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 09:35 PM   #52
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Nice trifecta: Quebec+francophone+fan of La Pen.
Does Canada have the Death Penalty? Its made for people like this.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 09:53 PM   #53
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Oh, the sadness in the right wing blogosphere and alt-right. They were all over the news that one was inferentially a mooslim, all picking up on the "source that wished to remain anonymous" who said that bullets whizzed over his head as "Allahu Akhbar" was shouted.
The news reports haven't changed, they say there were Muslims involved.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 10:18 PM   #54
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Only as victims and witnesses. The shooter was a Canadian resident of Quebec and not Muslim. His name is Alexandre Bissonnette. He is white and probably Catholic. He is also a white supremacist and Trump supporter.

The Muslim arrested was a witness who called 911 from outside the shooting zone.

Quote:
Mohamed Belkhadir, a 29-year-old engineering student, told La Presse that he was trying to provide first aide to shooting victims when police mistook him for a suspect. But he doesn’t hold it against police.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...llowing-attack
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 11:51 PM   #55
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Allahu Akhbar is such a generic chant I can easily imagine someone shouting it in a situation like this. It's like saying "oh my god" in many other languages, even non-religious people do it. The thing is, it probably wasn't the shooter who shouted it.

McHrozni
Old 31st January 2017, 01:06 AM   #56
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Allahu Akhbar is such a generic chant I can easily imagine someone shouting it in a situation like this. It's like saying "oh my god" in many other languages, even non-religious people do it. The thing is, it probably wasn't the shooter who shouted it.

McHrozni
Or, as is quite popular with what passes for journalism nowadays, someone made it up,.... hoping.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 01:17 AM   #57
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

No. I wager HE think Trump's follower are THAT stupid.

What he says may not be directed toward the whole US, but simply the subset of citizen which voted Trump.

I see the "it is the muuussllllim" folk are not there anymore. Maybe now it has been shown that their prejudice belied them they are not interested into the story anymore ?
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 01:18 AM   #58
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Or, as is quite popular with what passes for journalism nowadays, someone made it up,.... hoping.
Also possible. It's also possible the shooter shouted it so some deplorables would believe he was really a Muslim and blame Muslims.

McHrozni
Old 31st January 2017, 01:38 AM   #59
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
An admirer of Marine Lepen apparently. I'm not surprised.
The upside of this tragic event could be a drop of support for the scumbag in France. I hope so anyway, with the Filon possibly dropping out altogether and all that.

McHrozni
Old 31st January 2017, 05:51 AM   #60
Castro
Muse

More about the guy who was arrested and then released: http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...c?isAutoPlay=1

transcript from the video (1'37"):
Quote:
- Journaliste: "...Pouquoi? comment? la police continue d'interroger les témoins qui ont vu l'horreur de près comme Mohamed Belkhadir qui était si proche que c'est lui qui a été arrêté et qui a été détenu comme deuxième suspect toute la nuit."

- Mohamed Belkhadir:" Après qu'on ait fini la prière, moi je suis sorti parmi les premières personnes au bon moment où j'ai entendu des tirs (de feu)"

- Journaliste: " Nous l'avons rencontré juste après sa libération. Il était secoué, toujours sous le choc. La police l'a arrêté alors qu'il venait en aide à un blessé ensanglanté."

- Mohamed Belkhadir:" Le moment que je suis sorti de la mosquée ben j'ai parlé avec le 911 (urgence). Après je suis allé pour vérifier mes confrères si ils sont encore vivants où non. Moi j'en ai trouvé un à côté de la porte mais je ne suis pas sûr si il est mort où non. J'ai vu l'autre personne qui respire ben j'ai voulu lui donner mon manteau et au moment que je lui donnais mon manteau pour qu'il reste au chaud, ok, j'ai vu l'"image" d'une personne qui porte une arme, ben j'étais pas conscient que c'était un policier."

- Journaliste: " Il essayait de se sauver quand la police l'a appréhendé et l'a menotté..."
(Translation):- Journalist:"...Why? how? the Police continue to question the witnesses who saw the horror up close, like Mohammed Belkhadir who was so close that he was arrested and detained all night long as a second suspect."

- Mohammed Belkhadir: " After the prayer I was among the first to get out, at the right time, and that's when I heard a shooting."

- Journalist:" We met him just after his release. He was still shocked. The police arrested him when he was helping a bleeding injured person."

- Mohammed Belkhadir: " When I exited the mosque I called 911 then I went to see if my friends were alive or dead. I found one near the door but I didn't know if he was dead or not. I saw this other person who was breathing so I wanted to give him my coat and while I was giving him my coat to keep him warm, I saw an "image" of a man with a gun. I didn't realize that it was a policeman."

- Journalist:" He was trying to flee when the Police arrested and handcuffed him..."

Last edited by Castro; 31st January 2017 at 07:30 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 06:12 AM   #61
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

There were Muslims at prayers at a mosque!!!!! Shocking!!!!!!!

Just like when trolls like the shooter draw swastikas on synagogues you can clearly say that there are jews involved.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 06:13 AM   #62
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

No. I wager HE think Trump's follower are THAT stupid.
They have been trained not to believe anything the false mainstream media puts out.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 06:15 AM   #63
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
There were Muslims at prayers at a mosque!!!!! Shocking!!!!!!!
Who knew, right? And on a Sunday.

Quote:
Just like when trolls like the shooter draw swastikas on synagogues you can clearly say that there are jews involved.
I haven't read anything about the Muslims involved being Jews. That's an interesting twist...
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 07:20 AM   #64
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darth Rotor View Post
We stopped executing people in the 1960s and removed capital punishment from the Criminal Code in 1976. Capital punishment was removed from the Code of Service Discipline in 1999.

In short, no we don't. We let them rot with an actual life term (life imprisonment in Canada is just what it says on the tin - life). Even if you get paroled you will report to a parole officer until the day you die.
Old 31st January 2017, 08:30 AM   #65
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

It's just fog of war.

Remember how many early reports of 9/11 were wrong, and then used as 'evidence' for years by the tinfoilers?

Early reports here indicated that it was a Muslim attack with one suspect called Mohamed and people yelling Allah Akbar.

Turned out the Muslim suspect was the guy who called the cops and the Allah Akbar yells came from people scared out of their minds in the middle of a mass shooting.

Canada has it's own Dylan Roof now.
Old 31st January 2017, 08:35 AM   #66
Belz...
Fiend God

Not sure what's wrong with the first two, unless you were refering to me as an exemplar.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 09:02 AM   #67
Winterfrost
Thinker

One's birthplace, culture, and political bent make someone worthy of the death penalty?
Winterfrost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 09:07 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Winterfrost View Post
One's birthplace, culture, and political bent make someone worthy of the death penalty?
How about being an internet troll?

Na we are supposed to ignore death threats from them, that is why this shooting is so totally overblown. Learn to ignore the trolls.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:16 AM   #69
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
It's just fog of war.

Remember how many early reports of 9/11 were wrong, and then used as 'evidence' for years by the tinfoilers?

Early reports here indicated that it was a Muslim attack with one suspect called Mohamed and people yelling Allah Akbar.

Turned out the Muslim suspect was the guy who called the cops and the Allah Akbar yells came from people scared out of their minds in the middle of a mass shooting.
And, true to form, Robert Spencer and his merry band of morons and haters over at Jihadwatch went from crowing about how this attack was carried out by a Muslim to now alleging a cover-up by the mass media/false flag attack (oddly, they seem to think it's both at the same time) when it turned out the murderer was a LePen-supporting white nationalist.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 09:22 AM   #70
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
And, true to form, Robert Spencer and his merry band of morons and haters over at Jihadwatch went from crowing about how this attack was carried out by a Muslim to now alleging a cover-up by the mass media/false flag attack (oddly, they seem to think it's both at the same time) when it turned out the murderer was a LePen-supporting white nationalist.
Well, at least they haven't blamed the Jews. Yet.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:29 AM   #71
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Who do you think they mean when talking about the media?
Old 31st January 2017, 09:33 AM   #72
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I believe it's (((cosmopolitan elites in media))) to use their own language.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:33 AM   #73
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Nah. That's just a codeword for the rootless internationalists.

Oh.
Old 31st January 2017, 10:02 AM   #74
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

It's just fog of war.

And [presidential candidates].

Canada has it's own Dylan Roof now.
We sort of already did with [Marc "women shouldn't be allowed to be engineers so I'm allowed to shoot them" Lepine].
Old 31st January 2017, 10:04 AM   #75
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

The extreme right has spent the last 20 years making Muslims their New Jews.

As many have said, this is our "what would you have done if you were around back then" opportunity.
We're there now.
Old 31st January 2017, 01:43 PM   #76
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Spicer is just a shameless liar.
What annoys me is that he is so bad at it. A clever liar who knows you can't be so obivious about it I can have some respect for;not this clown.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 31st January 2017, 02:06 PM   #77
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

As many have said, this is our "what would you have done if you were around back then" opportunity.
We're there now.
Oh plenty of them still hate the jews.
Old 31st January 2017, 02:29 PM   #78
Wayward son
Muse

What annoys me is that he is so bad at it. A clever liar who knows you can't be so obivious about it I can have some respect for;not this clown.
Someone, it may or may not have been Applebaum (an expert on authoritarian and totalitarian regimes), made the opposite point. Telling obvious lies, the more absurd and unbelievable the better, is a display of power. Telling clever lies is a sign of weakness. In the latter case you are cowering and hoping to get away with it. In the former case you are so powerful that you can say whatever you want and not only get away with it, but change what people perceive is reality. Putin lying about Russian troops being in Ukraine when everyone could see on their TV screens is an obvious example.

If I told such obvious lies my life would quickly be in ruins. If I treated people the way Trump treats people I would probably be in jail. Yet he is the most powerful person on the planet. If Obama lied like Trump, significant numbers from his own party in congress and the senate would have revolted against him. We will see if they do against Trump (I am betting no). If they don't Trump will have established that he is far more powerful than any president before him - that the rules that applied to all previous Presidents do not apply to him. The same thing goes for Trump saying that he could shoot someone and wouldn't lose a follower. That is a pretty big slap in the face towards your followers. A "weak" leader couldn't get away with it. A "strong" leader shows his power over people by doing just that.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2017, 02:29 PM   #79
mgidm86
Philosopher

We're there now.
What opportunity would that be?

You seem to imply that we should kill the President.

Usually the "what would you have done back then" is in regards to Hitler and whether or not someone would kill him if they could go back in time, or if they knew in advance what he would become.

Just asking. Maybe it's just, yet another, angry emotional outburst from a passionate concerned ISFer.

Pretty disturbing if not.
Old 31st January 2017, 02:33 PM   #80
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What opportunity would that be?

You seem to imply that we should kill the President.

Usually the "what would you have done back then" is in regards to Hitler and whether or not someone would kill him if they could go back in time, or if they knew in advance what he would become.

Just asking. Maybe it's just, yet another, angry emotional outburst from a passionate concerned ISFer.

Pretty disturbing if not.
That seems a rather ..er.. extreme "implication", why do you jump straight to killing Trump? I think there might be a couple of other things that one could do...
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events