ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th August 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
RSLancastr

I Married a woo!

I Married a Woo

Back in 2002, I was going through a divorce with my first wife, and decided to use some of the online find-a-date services in my search for a lady to spend some time with. I settled on match.com, and dated a few women I found there. the third woman I met there was Susan, who ***SPOILER*** I married in 2007.

I came close to not even seeing her profile, because, in the match.com search engine, I had almost selected "religious preferences must match." I had stated a religious preference of "none", and Susan had selected "Christian". I thought long and hard before telling the search engine that a match on religious preference was not a must. I was in the middle of a divorce from a Catholic-turned Wiccan, and my Agnosticism had been a thorn in her side for some time. But I figured that, if I could deal with a Catholic/Wiccan, I could deal with an ordinary "Christian."

Susan and I started chatting online, the talking by phone, and, eventually, started dating.

On one of our first dates, I was driving, and we were waiting at a red light when Susan said "Hey, there's that guy I like so much!" I turned to face her, and saw she was pointing out the car window. I looked in the direction she was pointing, and saw a poster of ... John Edward.

A few seconds later, Susan said "Why are you banging your head on the steering wheel?" We drove onward, starting a long conversation about cold reading, and my thoughts on "psychics."

Later, the first time I visited Susan's home, I found a book by ... Sylvia Browne.

Now, many here would have cut and run at that point, if not earlier. Had I done so, I would have missed out on so much...

We often watched John Edward's show, as well as that of James VanPraagh. I found myself answering lots of questions Susan would ask ("See, now how did he know that?"), and we discussed cold and hot reading in some detail.
Susan started having her doubts about "psychics", but it wasn't until she caught a show titled "Secrets of the Psychics" that she finally came to the conclusion that a lot of it was fraudulent. I'd like to think that some of our conversations on the topic got her somewhat "on the fence", and that tv show was the last straw that tipped her to the skeptical side.

Several years later, it was Susan who insisted that I talk to my Mom about this "Kaz" character who had spoken at her (my Mom's) church. A few years after that, Forumites were saying "You've stopped Kaz - who's next?" When I talked to Susan about it, she said "If you think that these "psychics are really hurting people, stop complaining about it, and do something about it! Stop Sylvia Browne was the result.

Not long after that, we married in a non-religious ceremony, on the happiest day of my life.

Susan has been my proofreader, my second set of eyes, and my most enthusiastic supporter throughout the SSB project. combine this with the tons of hours I've spent away from her and working on articles, and you'll start to understand how crucial she has been to the site's growth and power.

Add to all of this the fact that she has stood by me through the whole stroke business, and quite likely saved my life at least once during it, as well as being instrumental in getting the SSB site back up after it was hijacked, and you should see that, if you have appreciated any of what I have done with my Stop sites, you owe a big "thank you" to my Better Half, a former "woo", for being instrumental in their creation and continuation.

I owe her so much more than thanks, and am more happy than I can say that I didn't "cut and run" because we differed on some important things.

Thanks, my love, for being all this and so much more to me.

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

It's a strong testament to your gentlemanliness, that you were able to woo a woo, and turn her into one of your stronger supporters.

You should teach classes on how to be classy and diplomatic, with these things. Or, are you simply a natural who has "no idea" how you manage to do it?

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Kevin_Lowe

Who knew you'd woo a woo?
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 05:19 PM   #4
borealys
Critical Thinker

I say hurrah to Robert for being open-minded enough to see the whole picture of who Susan was, and hurrah to Susan for being smart enough, and open-minded enough, to ask questions about the wooish things and actually think about the answers.

You folks are enough to remind me why I still have faith in humanity. Now I think I need to go pass out in a diabetic coma because that OP was so incredibly sweet!

(AwwwwwWWWWwwwwWWW... )

Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight. -Bruce Cockburn
borealys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Wow. Truly wow.

Great story. It's so rare when things click like that and work out so well.

You deserve one another.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

From what I've read of Susan's efforts, and inferred of her character, it doesn't seem to me that the world would have been better off with "one less woo" in this case.
Denver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 07:51 PM   #7
ExMinister
RSL Acolyte

You are so well suited to each other! How glad you must be that you didn't check that box indicating religious match was a must.

What a beautiful thing to write.
Old 29th August 2009, 07:54 PM   #8
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
It's a strong testament to your gentlemanliness, that you were able to woo a woo, and turn her into one of your stronger supporters.
Thanks, but I think it's more a testament to Susan's intelligence and open-mindedness.

You should teach classes on how to be classy and diplomatic, with these things.[/quote] Once, I stepped in to referee a loud argument between Susan and her son Ian. at one point, Ian said to me "Wow, You should be a *********** diplomat or something."
Originally Posted by Wowbagger
Or, are you simply a natural who has "no idea" how you manage to do it?
It's just a way of dealing with people I've developed over the years. I'm not always that way, but I try to be, as I am on the Stop sites.

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Kevin_Lowe View Post
Who knew you'd woo a woo?
Woo and wed a woo! Awonderful, beautiful woo!

Old 29th August 2009, 07:58 PM   #10
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by borealys View Post
I say hurrah to Robert for being open-minded enough to see the whole picture of who Susan was, and hurrah to Susan for being smart enough, and open-minded enough, to ask questions about the wooish things and actually think about the answers.

You folks are enough to remind me why I still have faith in humanity. Now I think I need to go pass out in a diabetic coma because that OP was so incredibly sweet!

(AwwwwwWWWWwwwwWWW... )
We have lads of sweet stories from our relationship. Have you read the thread I started about our wedding?

Old 29th August 2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Woo-hoo!!

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2009, 08:00 PM   #12
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
Wow. Truly wow.

Great story. It's so rare when things click like that and work out so well.

You deserve one another.
we think so to!

Old 29th August 2009, 08:47 PM   #13
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
Once, I stepped in to referee a loud argument between Susan and her son Ian. at one point, Ian said to me "Wow, You should be a *********** diplomat or something." It's just a way of dealing with people I've developed over the years. I'm not always that way, but I try to be, as I am on the Stop sites.
I have to say that you are one of the most level headed people I've ever met. Just unflappable (well, usually, not always) in the face of hyperbole, exaggeration, anger, screaming and yelling. I could never be as patient as you are with the likes of Browne and her fans; I'd soon be yelling back. You missed a calling as a referee, marriage counsellor, advice columnist or peace broker.

Are you sure you aren't exaggerating your wife's "woo tendencies", though? She may have believed in mediums before you met her but it wasn't as though she regularly visited psychics or practised astrology. It sounds as though she believed in it vaguely but wasn't very involved to start with.

I don't want to get personal but maybe the reason woo hasn't been a big problem in your relationship is because it wasn't that big of a roadblock to begin with. And maybe it would have been with someone who was a true believer.

StopJohnofGod.blogspot.com
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 12:17 AM   #14
Gilmar
Muse

Susan is as fine a lady as I have ever met. We should all be so lucky (to the extent that searching extensively counts as luck...).
Gilmar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 01:19 AM   #15
Baby Nemesis
Master Poster

What a moving heart-warming story.
Baby Nemesis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 01:52 AM   #16
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Yer nothing but a woo-lover!

Hehhe.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 07:06 PM   #17
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Yer nothing but a woo-lover!

Hehhe.
Label me if you must...

Old 30th August 2009, 07:29 PM   #18
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
.Are you sure you aren't exaggerating your wife's "woo tendencies", though? She may have believed in mediums before you met her but it wasn't as though she regularly visited psychics or practised astrology. It sounds as though she believed in it vaguely but wasn't very involved to start with.
I think I described it pretty accurately.

Old 30th August 2009, 08:01 PM   #19
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

RSL for the win!

Robert, seriously, would you be okay with me sharing this on my blog? (Link below)
Old 30th August 2009, 10:00 PM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

My wife didn't believe in psychics and mediums, in general. The psychic at the corner stores were "obvious fakes" to her. However, "proven" psychics that she saw on Montel or Oprah were real. It wasn't until she met me that she started to question these people. I explained to her how the tricks are done and about the JREF MDC. Now she's a non-believer.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2009, 10:08 PM   #21
Slimething
Illuminator

Robert, Susan is a strong and intelligent woman. We all have blind spots until someone points to their weaknesses. It's little surprise that you two are a perfect match. Congratulations!

Does she have a sister?
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 06:28 AM   #22
RSL's better half
RSL Groupie

Originally Posted by Slimething View Post
Robert, Susan is a strong and intelligent woman. We all have blind spots until someone points to their weaknesses. It's little surprise that you two are a perfect match. Congratulations!

Does she have a sister?
Sorry, no. I do have an older brother . . .
RSL's better half is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2009, 11:55 AM   #23
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
RSL for the win!

Robert, seriously, would you be okay with me sharing this on my blog? (Link below)
Certainly, thanks for asking!

Old 31st August 2009, 11:58 AM   #24
RSLancastr

Thanks!

Quote:
Does she have a sister?
Nope, she's one of a kind!

Old 31st August 2009, 07:12 PM   #25
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Certainly, thanks for asking!
Groovy. I will post the link once I've finished putting together the post. Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:23 PM   #26
Slimething
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RSL's better half View Post
Sorry, no. I do have an older brother . . .
Just my luck!

Cloning, it is!
Slimething is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2009, 11:37 AM   #27
RSLancastr

Just my luck!

Cloning, it is!
Ooooh, could I have two then?

Old 4th September 2009, 12:04 PM   #28
tkingdoll
Penultimate Amazing

What a lovely story. There's a really nice message here about labels and preconceptions.

Don't tick the box, folks. Our labels shouldn't define or limit us.
tkingdoll is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2009, 12:09 PM   #29
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by tkingdoll View Post
What a lovely story. There's a really nice message here about labels and preconceptions.

Don't tick the box, folks. Our labels shouldn't define or limit us.
Teek the box instead!

Old 4th September 2009, 07:35 PM   #30
devnull
Philosopher

Im married to a catholic who believes in tarot and such.

She's a good source of comedy for me
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2009, 10:50 AM   #31
Senex
Philosopher

I Married a Woo
I could have been worse. It could have been "I married a ...

crossdresser"
greencard seeking terrorist"
alien who sucks your life force out of you slowly (OK, the 1st two are worse)"

but you get the idea.
Quote:
Back in 2002, I was going through a divorce with my first wife, and decided to use some of the online find-a-date services in my search for a lady to spend some time with. I settled on match.com, and dated a few women I found there. the third woman I met there was Susan, who ***SPOILER*** I married in 2007.
Wow, that method does work outside of meeting with naughty girls
Quote:
I came close to not even seeing her profile, because, in the match.com search engine, I had almost selected "religious preferences must match." I had stated a religious preference of "none", and Susan had selected "Christian". I thought long and hard before telling the search engine that a match on religious preference was not a must. I was in the middle of a divorce from a Catholic-turned Wiccan, and my Agnosticism had been a thorn in her side for some time. But I figured that, if I could deal with a Catholic/Wiccan, I could deal with an ordinary "Christian."
I'm an ex-Catholic who took a brief look at wiccan for a couple of months a long time ago. I know I can get along with either if their beliefs weren't terribly time consuming but they would know I thought whatever prayer they did would be the same as a native American rain dance. Well-intentioned but doesn't matter.
Quote:
Susan and I started chatting online, the talking by phone, and, eventually, started dating.

On one of our first dates, I was driving, and we were waiting at a red light when Susan said "Hey, there's that guy I like so much!" I turned to face her, and saw she was pointing out the car window. I looked in the direction she was pointing, and saw a poster of ... John Edward.
This must have been hard to say the right thing...
Quote:
A few seconds later, Susan said "Why are you banging your head on the steering wheel?" We drove onward, starting a long conversation about cold reading, and my thoughts on "psychics."

Later, the first time I visited Susan's home, I found a book by ... Sylvia Browne.
Now you're making this stuff up.
Quote:
Now, many here would have cut and run at that point, if not earlier. Had I done so, I would have missed out on so much...
Clearly a lot. You were in bad place not only metaphorically but phsically. You are only where you are now because you had a tireless advocate.

My parents have been maried 56 years. My dad has alzheimers and my mom is at this moment in the hospital. if somehting happens to her he is going to fail no matter what I do. My dad would have been there for her every day like she has been there for her.

It took me until my mid-forties to realize this but having a llifetime partner may have more upside than down.

Keep recovering Robert and best wishes you woo Susan.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2009, 09:20 AM   #32
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Robert, here is the link to my blog post on this...

http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.co...married-a-woo/
Old 13th September 2009, 12:52 PM   #33
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Robert it has not escaped the notice of this community that you pulled a cracker when you met your lady. She's been pretty damned impressive this past year.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2009, 04:24 PM   #34
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
Robert, here is the link to my blog post on this...

http://skepticalteacher.wordpress.co...married-a-woo/
Thanks, Matt!

Old 29th November 2009, 04:26 PM   #35
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
Robert it has not escaped the notice of this community that you pulled a cracker when you met your lady.
...and I pulled a leg muscle, but that's a story for another time.

Quote:
She's been pretty damned impressive this past year.
...and the year befre that, and... thanks, Sam!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal