ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th November 2009, 12:15 AM   #1
turnuptheradio
New Blood

Post Diamonds From Heaven in puerto rico

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has looked into this? obviously this is a scam, but since it seems to be a new wave among the faithful I was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts.

youtube link below
Never Mind, I cannot post links yet.
it would be @ youtube /watch?v=Y_qb2OApNMw
sorry for the inconvenience
turnuptheradio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

I'll oblidge:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

All great truths begin as blasphemies. - George Bernard Shaw

God is evil. As soon as you accept that, it all makes sense. - Sledge
grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Drs_Res
NWO Acorn Hoarder

Originally Posted by turnuptheradio View Post
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has looked into this? obviously this is a scam, but since it seems to be a new wave among the faithful I was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts.

youtube link below
Never Mind, I cannot post links yet.
it would be @ youtube /watch?v=Y_qb2OApNMw
sorry for the inconvenience
Originally Posted by grayman View Post
I'll oblidge:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Fixed that for you grayman:

I AGREE
Old 27th November 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by Drs_Res View Post
Thanks. I was on my laptop and it was running slow, so I couldn't tell for sure whether it posted correctly or not.

grayman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 02:31 PM   #5
m_huber
Muse

Reminds me of the story of the guys in the Old West who tried to sell a gem mine in Arizona. They brought out prospectors and showed them the deposits in the sands. They almost made the sale, but then someone noticed that the gems were already cut (not naturally). Turned out, the landowners had gone to a gem shop, taken the scraps, and fired them from a shotgun into the sands they showed the prospectors.
Old 27th November 2009, 02:43 PM   #6
m_huber
Muse

Ok, I got to the part where he talks about the gemologist identifying it. "That percentage diamond doesn't exist on earth." I am a geologist and I have studied gemology. I have absolutely no idea what he is talking about. The tool he described does not correspond with anything I have ever seen a professional use. In other words: He's lying.

Not only that, the stones are comically large. These are the sorts of things that you see as costume jewelry. Though the light is poor in the church, the stones do not have the expected luster of diamonds or other gemstones. My guess is that it's mostly glass, possibly with some varieties of quartz and some synthetics mixed in. The diamond dust may legitimately be diamond dust from a jeweler, or it may be any of a number of powders that sparkle in light.

And the bible in oil seems like a variant on the statue of Mary crying. These are not difficult tricks. To get gems to rain on top of people, he may be affixing them with some type of weak epoxy to the ceiling prior to meetings, or he could be doing something less complicated than that. Comically simple tricks, but if you call it a miracle, you get people to make international videos praising your ministry and giving you money.
Old 27th November 2009, 02:51 PM   #7
Olowkow
Philosopher

Apparently this has been going on since 2007. It started with "diamond dust" in some guy's hair.
http://www.notjustnotes.ws/wondersinpuertorico.htm

The crazy lady's videos are unbearable to watch.

Rev Rojas has a checkered past. I'm guessing perhaps he is "fencing" or laundering gems for some jewel thieves. It's kind of hard to imagine what other scam it could be. Has all this wealth wound up in the members' pockets or the church's? Looks to me like a lot of wealth there. And what's with all the oil oozing out of bibles, and everything???

It is interesting that I can't seem to find a single news story on this.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Amapola

OK. So he wrote to a jeweler to ask how diamonds are valued. He did not send a diamond to be identified. Yes, diamonds are valued on the cut and clarity. (It's the 4 Cs - Cut, Clarity, Color and Carat.) However, ANY jeweler will tell you that you can not just look at a stone and identify it. You need special equipment, such as a spectroscope, to ID a stone. I did not see ANYWHERE in this video where the stones were identified. For all we know, they are very lovely glass.

As far as the cut being "perfect" - diamonds are now cut on machines that measure out the perfect angle. No need anymore for a human to guess - the machine is gauged (and checked often) to get the perfect angle. So the claim that no other diamonds are cut that "perfectly" is a baseless claim. Sure - back in the days when they were cut by hand, that might have applied, but not today.

It's been shown that it is easy to fake the other stuff.

I speak as a jeweler. I don't set diamonds myself but know about them. The reason I don't set them? I do not own the very expensive equipment needed to ID and grade a diamond.
Amapola is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by m_huber View Post

Not only that, the stones are comically large. These are the sorts of things that you see as costume jewelry....
Or of course they could be fake.... I too noticed that the "purity of the diamonds" was like "nada que existe en la tierra". Oh, please.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2009, 04:18 PM   #10
grayman
Happy-go-lucky Heretic

Originally Posted by m_huber View Post
...Comically simple tricks, but if you call it a miracle, you get people to make international videos praising your ministry and giving you money.
But...but...God is sending you diamonds. Why does the church need money if God is willing to pony up?

Old 29th November 2009, 01:51 AM   #11
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Drs_Res View Post

I AGREE
But...but there's mystical, celestial music playing!

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Starthinker
Philosopher

I looked this up on a few christian sites and some members readily admit it's a fraud and that gems they had appraised turned out to be fakes. Of course this was answered with people claiming that they are real and that the people claiming it's fake are just lying discredit the guy. Even in the face of one of their own trying to tell the truth they plug thier ears and close their eyes.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2009, 08:03 PM   #13
turnuptheradio
New Blood

Thank you for the input!
turnuptheradio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal