ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #3521
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The more I read about Whitaker, the more he comes across to me as a dodgy businessman and fraudster.
That made him a perfect choice for Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #3522
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The Democrats say they will investigate Whitaker when they take the House, in order to stop obstruction by Trump. I think opening investigations on McConnell would serve them better, Mitch is the one that's stopping the Senate from protecting Mueller. Trump and Putin have something on Mitch, I'm sure of it.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #3523
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The Democrats say they will investigate Whitaker when they take the House, in order to stop obstruction by Trump. I think opening investigations on McConnell would serve them better, Mitch is the one that's stopping the Senate from protecting Mueller. Trump and Putin have something on Mitch, I'm sure of it.
Or he could just be a generally traitorous partisan who's far more interested in "winning" than the good of the country. Investigating political opponents, just because they're political opponents, is a very dangerous path to take and should be strongly discouraged (at least when it comes to any party interested in good governance). Now, if he were coincidentally caught in Mueller's investigation, that would be fine. If you can point at some, say, dark money that's actually being funneled to him from Russia and unusual Russian contacts, that could be worth investigating.
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #3524
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Or he could just be a generally traitorous partisan who's far more interested in "winning" than the good of the country. Investigating political opponents, just because they're political opponents, is a very dangerous path to take and should be strongly discouraged (at least when it comes to any party interested in good governance). Now, if he were coincidentally caught in Mueller's investigation, that would be fine. If you can point at some, say, dark money that's actually being funneled to him from Russia and unusual Russian contacts, that could be worth investigating.
I was watching an episode of "Lost Tapes" last night about the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal and Whitewater. I had forgotten how much the American public backed Clinton, even knowing he had been unfaithful to Hilary, because they wanted rid of the distraction and wanted he and Congress to get on with the jobs they were elected to do. GOP, however, especially Newt Gingrich, were obsessed with getting him, and they effectively committed political suicide when they decided to go against the will of the people, and continue with their attacks on him. It cost them the 1996 Presidential election and the 1998 mid-terms.

If GOP is counting on the American people getting sick of the attacks on Der Trumpenführer in the same way they tired of the attacks on Clinton, they are definitely barking up the wrong tree - Clinton had the support of the people, Trump does not.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Last edited by smartcooky; Yesterday at 09:30 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #3525
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Mitch is in bed with Trump and Russia, or he certainly acts enough like it to warrant an investigation. Investigating Mitch at this point would not be political.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #3526
Aridas

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Mitch is in bed with Trump and Russia, or he certainly acts enough like it to warrant an investigation. Investigating Mitch at this point would not be political.
Maybe. His outright threatening of the President is certainly grounds to raise ethical questions. They just might not be the right kinds of ethical questions to warrant an investigation.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #3527
smartcooky
Philosopher

Maybe. His outright threatening of the President is certainly grounds to raise ethical questions. They just might not be the right kinds of ethical questions to warrant an investigation.
What?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #3528
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The more I read about Whitaker, the more he comes across to me as a dodgy businessman and fraudster.
Like flies to horse ****.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #3529
3point14
Pi

Or he could just be a generally traitorous partisan who's far more interested in "winning" than the good of the country.
It's concerning that it's difficult to tell the difference.
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #3530
Aridas

What?
In response to Obama trying to make a bipartisan statement strongly condemning Russia for their electoral interference before the election, McConnell outright threatened him with the claim that he would loudly proclaim it to all be a partisan ploy and generally undermine anything he could in relation to that. There was a dramatically watered down bipartisan statement released later, though, apparently.

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
It's concerning that it's difficult to tell the difference.
It is, though what's more concerning is that it's on the table in the first place and hasn't resulted in pretty much any penalties given to McConnell... including from the loudly patriotic "Support the President because he's the President" crowd on the right.
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #3531
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
It is, though what's more concerning is that it's on the table in the first place and hasn't resulted in pretty much any penalties given to McConnell... including from the loudly patriotic "Support the President because he's the President" crowd on the right.
No wonder they're loud, they recently had an 8-year sabbatical.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics