ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th October 2019, 02:41 PM   #121
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by !Kaggen View Post
"And, again, should there be a default event, the investor will still get full value for his investment as the entire euro value of the defaulted securities can be used at any time for the payment of Greek taxes. So while this discussion concerns the case of default, the removal of the risk of loss means there will always be demand for them at near risk free market interest rates...
I know it's far too late for me to get into this, but.

Am I the only one who has concerns about this promise of risk-free investment?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 01:21 AM   #122
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
The forum sort of looks like a ghost town, so maybe that's one reason.
You're not helping by limiting yourself to annual visits to this forum.

I hope the censorship hasn't gotten worse.
It's about the same. Calling me an idiot won't get any complaints from me but you never know when a Tippit hater is going to report a post or yours - or a mod acts without a complaint.

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about this? Is it an idea whose time has come, or just a final repudiation of any constraints on unchecked government power forever?
You have posted too much text to expect an intelligent response. It's almost as bad as posting links to a series of hour long YouTubes.

A nutshell summary is what is needed. To me it goes like this:
SMT: Government expenditure needs to be financed by a combination of taxation, government borrowings and printing money.
MMT: Government spending increases base money, government taxation decreases base money, government borrowing has a neutral* effect on base money.

It's a little like saying that (A + B) + C is different to A + (B + C)

* I know that foreign owned banks and governments print foreign money to buy bonds and that privately owned banks complicate everything.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance