ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , bigfoot

Reply
Old 5th October 2019, 09:47 AM   #1601
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,917
It was obviously made with a form. Check out the perfectly vertical side of the print.

NL, I really hope you don’t think that is a print from an animal.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 09:59 AM   #1602
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,353
Bigfooters like red circles in the evidence photos. This one is what they call "the money shot".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gallery_30_7_57393money.jpg (146.5 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 11:33 AM   #1603
Pope130
Illuminator
 
Pope130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,164
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
True. Here are some fun things to view and talk about. A friend found a track way in east Iowa earlier this year and was able to cast an outstanding print. There were 16 prints in total.

The closest dwelling was approximately 4 1/2 miles from where it was found. The weather conditions overnight were in the mid 50's with rain.

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_57393.jpg
http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_81888.jpg
http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_92997.jpg

What I find interesting is the dimensions of the print. No discernible arch and very wide heel in relation to the ball. The cast captured what appear to be dermal ridges. No additional larger prints were found in relation to this track way.

Discuss.
Is there an overall photo of this location? Looking at the picture here, it appears that mud has been placed over growing grass, and then the footprint applied. On it's face it appears contrived.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 12:28 PM   #1604
Northern Lights
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 756
Really, that's all you can come up with? "It's fake" Talk about one bullet Barney, geez.

Let me take away your one bullet and say, it's not fake. So let's now discuss based on that reality.
__________________
Honorary Deluded Fool
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 01:33 PM   #1605
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,489
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Really, that's all you can come up with? "It's fake" Talk about one bullet Barney, geez.

Let me take away your one bullet and say, it's not fake. So let's now discuss based on that reality.
Lol....in the real world that's the only real choice you've got, unless you've got something reality based to back up an alternative explanation.
If you not just trolling for attention or kicks, it would seem the argument your putting forth is.....accept the photo and story as genuine and go from there, unless you think your on BFF (Bigfoot Fantasty w/Friends) that's the web site that accepts such marlarkey without question..good luck with whatever your trying to accomplish here. Your argument is absurd or disingenuous at best.
Prove its not fake!
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 02:38 PM   #1606
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,091
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Let me take away your one bullet and say, it's not fake. So let's now discuss based on that reality.
Okay, let's. Reality dictates that you must first establish a phenomenon exists before assigning it attributes or abilities. Science does not recognize footie as a taxon because there is no reliable, objective evidence to so do. This is the reality.
__________________
Everything that happens to you in life usually has a great element of luck involved.

Carroll Shelby
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 03:46 PM   #1607
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,917
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Really, that's all you can come up with? "It's fake" Talk about one bullet Barney, geez.

Let me take away your one bullet and say, it's not fake. So let's now discuss based on that reality.
How do you explain the vertical side of the print? A real feet don’t create such edges. There is nothing more to discuss.
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2019, 06:40 PM   #1608
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,057
I mean, nothing screams "reproductively viable population of bigfoots" like eastern Iowa, amirite?
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 03:06 AM   #1609
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster
 
gabeygoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,216
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
True. Here are some fun things to view and talk about. A friend found a track way in east Iowa earlier this year and was able to cast an outstanding print. There were 16 prints in total.

The closest dwelling was approximately 4 1/2 miles from where it was found. The weather conditions overnight were in the mid 50's with rain.

http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_57393.jpg
http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_81888.jpg
http://sasquatchresearchers.org/foru...30_7_92997.jpg

What I find interesting is the dimensions of the print. No discernible arch and very wide heel in relation to the ball. The cast captured what appear to be dermal ridges. No additional larger prints were found in relation to this track way.

Discuss.
That’s a little foot
__________________
"May I interest you in some coconut milk?" ~Akhenaten Wallabe Esq
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 08:01 AM   #1610
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,353
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
The closest dwelling was approximately 4 1/2 miles from where it was found. The weather conditions overnight were in the mid 50's with rain.
What is the significance (if any) of this being found 4.5 miles from the nearest home?

What is the significance (if any) of the weather conditions?
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 08:13 AM   #1611
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,057
Obviously...

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is the significance (if any) of this being found 4.5 miles from the nearest home?
This illustrates how easily bigfoots can wander without detection through the corn forest wilderness that is their home.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is the significance (if any) of the weather conditions?
CLASSIC weather for the bigfoots and their kids to be out for a stroll in eastern Iowa.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 09:41 AM   #1612
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,489
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is the significance (if any) of this being found 4.5 miles from the nearest home?

What is the significance (if any) of the weather conditions?
These are the footie versions of remoteness and tough conditions. We've seen this malarkey before with the NAWACKIES and the remote wilds of a 3 mile trail in a NP or when they drive around and lo and behold Bigfoots right where they are leaving "evidence" for all to see, kinda if you've got Bigfoot goggles on.

In this case it's a great example of NL trying to make excuses for why it can't be a fake, because NL knows ahead of time it's all weak sauce, as all footie evidence/stories are.

The question or discussion of real interest to me, becomes the motive behind such a pitiful outreach to "discuss" something that NL admits is one beat horse.

So why NL or anyone, proffer such absurdly weak evidence and resort to the same ole, same ole prattle we've all heard before?

Footers need attention to keep the dream alive and nothing fits the bill like feigning a discussion on a skeptical website to reaffirm ones delusional/fanatical belief system, when the doubt creeps in. It's either admit your wrong, start faking crap or promoting crap as real.

Last edited by Cervelo; 6th October 2019 at 09:46 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:36 AM   #1613
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,202
NL is using a BLAARGING tactic here.

Give us some obviously fake trackway, then as we reduce it to what it is, he chimes in with some obscure fact that we are supposed to believe.

4.5 Miles from dwelling

HOLY CRAP that is so far, how did the person photographing it happen to find it?
Was there a called in tip?
Or just a random encounter?

Did you find this yourself NL?
Did you tell people you were heading to an area the day before you went?
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 08:29 AM   #1614
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,353
Hey Bigfooters, you better be careful when touching or handling a Bigfoot body in areas with deer that are afflicted with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD).

Originally Posted by hiflier on Bigfoot Forums
It's all hypothetical of course but if Sasquatch and CDW deer live in the same area and Sasquatches do prey on deer in winter then I would thing some caution should be taken with any dead Sasquatch. That's what I'm saying and that's why I'm asking for opinions on how would one handle the situation.
Zombie Deer Disease and Bigfoot.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 08:41 AM   #1615
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,353
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Obviously...

This illustrates how easily bigfoots can wander without detection through the corn forest wilderness that is their home.

CLASSIC weather for the bigfoots and their kids to be out for a stroll in eastern Iowa.
Wow! Look at this. We are seeing the footprints of a barefoot child wandering alone in the cold muddy wilderness at night and the nearest home is 4.5 miles away. We need to call the police to report this.
No, we are not going to call the police.
We should call the police. You are suggesting something else?
Yes, we shall begin to pour the plaster. Bring me my backpack.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 11:38 AM   #1616
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,202
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Wow! Look at this. We are seeing the footprints of a barefoot child wandering alone in the cold muddy wilderness at night and the nearest home is 4.5 miles away. We need to call the police to report this.
No, we are not going to call the police.
We should call the police. You are suggesting something else?
Yes, we shall begin to pour the plaster. Bring me my backpack.
Nothing in here about calling the police if you think there could be a lost child in the area...

Quote:
Tips for Casting Impressions and Tracks

These tips are designed to assist the field investigator in casting impressions in soft material like soil, mud, or even snow. This information is a set of guidelines and accepted practices derived from the law enforcement community. Most of the techniques presented are the "standard" used by not only local area law enforcement, but also by Federal agencies like the FBI and Customs.

Steps:

1. Preserve scene integrity. Secure the scene and make sure that you have little or no intrusion onto it. This includes other investigators and/or associates. Keep EVERYONE off the scene until you have finished.

2. Evaluate the scene. What kind of soil is it? How much moisture is present? How deep are the prints? Which prints are clear and well-formed? The answers to these questions will affect your casting. Take your time and evaluate it--the print(s) isn't going anywhere. The only thing that should press you for time when casting is inclimate weather. Rain can and will ruin an impression. If it is raining, cover the prints with a plastic garbage bag or piece of plywood. If possible, dig drainage trenches to keep water from flooding the print.

3. Measure your scene and do a sketch. Take measurements of each print and the distance between steps. Also, measure the stride. Stride length is the distance from a particular point on one print to the SAME point where the SAME foot strikes the ground again. (i.e., right foot to right foot) Put all of these measurements on the sketch. The sketch doesn't have to be to scale, but the measurements have to be acurate. With acurate measurements, you can recreate the scene later, using the casts you will make.

4. In mixing the casting material, pour the water directly into a Ziploc bag or bucket and mix or knead the mixture. Make sure the mixture is consistent. You can adjust consistency to accommodate the conditions. If the soil is dry, the print detail will likely be more fragile. Without moisture to hold the soil together, the weight of the casting material may crush or damage the detail. In that case, you would want to make the mix more watery. This will make it easier to pour and more likely to fill in small cracks and crevices. If in doubt, err on the side of mixing it thinner. It takes a few minutes longer to dry, but the wait is worth it. If the print is unusually large, or if you doubt the strength of the cast, use some sticks or bits of wire to reinforce it. Lay it like you would lay rebar in concrete.

5. Allow the print to completely dry, then lift it. For dental stone, it can take upwards of forty five minutes to dry--less in some cases, more in others. In almost all cases, the castings will be finished and dry enough to lift within thirty minutes. Allow more time for larger casts. When the cast(s) have dried to a medium consistency, you should take a knife blade or something similar and write your basic information in the back of the print. Include the date, time, and location at minimum. Put the corresponding number from you sketch onto the correct cast. For example, in your sketch you might have print 1, print 2, etc. Label each print as such. It is important to know where the print came from, and in which order they occurred in the trackway. Don't rely on use of a permanent marker for capturing this information on the cast. NO marker is permanent. Writing in the casting material will ensure that the information will remain intact. After marking the cast, allow it to dry until it is hard to the touch, and a blade will not readily pierce or mar it. Carefully take a shovel or other digging tool and go in a circle around the whole print. If you use a shovel, sink the blade to its entire depth in a circle around the print at a distance of no closer then about six inches. When your circle is complete, lift the print with the blade, carefully prying up. As soon as you can lift the cast?by hand, do so. Knock the loose dirt off of it, and allow the print to dry for a day or two. After it is dry, you can use some running water to clean the cast completely -- if it is not made of plaster ...
https://www.bfro.net/REF/outfitrs.asp

Nope, Nothing about checking for lost children or calling the authorities.

In fact, according to #1, the cops would just contaminate your evidence if they were to be called. Scene integrity is key.
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2019, 02:32 PM   #1617
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,187
Why can't it be a bear track? This is the time of year they wander down from the mountains, they come into residential areas all of the time.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 12:09 PM   #1618
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,057
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Why can't it be a bear track? This is the time of year they wander down from the mountains, they come into residential areas all of the time.
Indeed there have been some bear sightings in Iowa this year – evidently the first in >100 years! But the hind print of a black bear is only very superficially human-like. Tell-tale signs like a very narrow heel compared to a super-wide ball, digits 2–4 much longer than 1, and – in mud as soft as indicated on the photo – I'd expect to see some claw marks.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 02:12 PM   #1619
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,221
If I dig drainage ditches and take other steps to preserve the footprints, how does that affect not disturbing the scene as much as possible?

Hey Bob, grab the backpack with the plaster kit, s pair of shovels and that plywood over there. We gonna take s leisurely stroll in the deep wilderness out behind the house!
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2019, 04:58 PM   #1620
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,116
Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
If I dig drainage ditches and take other steps to preserve the footprints, how does that affect not disturbing the scene as much as possible?

Hey Bob, grab the backpack with the plaster kit, s pair of shovels and that plywood over there. We gonna take s leisurely stroll in the deep wilderness out behind the house!
Bob: Hey 8enotto, you got room in your backpack for the stompers?

Mine’s full.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 01:45 PM   #1621
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,081
Originally Posted by Cervelo View Post
These are the footie versions of remoteness and tough conditions. We've seen this malarkey before with the NAWACKIES and the remote wilds of a 3 mile trail in a NP or when they drive around and lo and behold Bigfoots right where they are leaving "evidence" for all to see, kinda if you've got Bigfoot goggles on.

In this case it's a great example of NL trying to make excuses for why it can't be a fake, because NL knows ahead of time it's all weak sauce, as all footie evidence/stories are.

The question or discussion of real interest to me, becomes the motive behind such a pitiful outreach to "discuss" something that NL admits is one beat horse.

So why NL or anyone, proffer such absurdly weak evidence and resort to the same ole, same ole prattle we've all heard before?

Footers need attention to keep the dream alive and nothing fits the bill like feigning a discussion on a skeptical website to reaffirm ones delusional/fanatical belief system, when the doubt creeps in. It's either admit your wrong, start faking crap or promoting crap as real.
It seems to me NL is having a discussion about Bigfoot in a thread about Bigfoot. Stamping out discussion about the topic of reference is not exactly a sound tactic of the "enlightened".

Chris B.
__________________
“Racism is evil, and those who cause violence in its name are criminals and thugs, including the KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists, and other hate groups that are repugnant to everything we hold dear as Americans.” President Donald John Trump
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 01:52 AM   #1622
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,026
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
It seems to me NL is having a discussion about Bigfoot in a thread about Bigfoot. Stamping out discussion about the topic of reference is not exactly a sound tactic of the "enlightened".

Chris B.
Any time NL brings some actual evidence of Bigfoot to the thread, I'm sure everyone will be happy to discuss it.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:26 AM   #1623
Cervelo
Graduate Poster
 
Cervelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,489
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
It seems to me NL is having a discussion about Bigfoot in a thread about Bigfoot. Stamping out discussion about the topic of reference is not exactly a sound tactic of the "enlightened".

Chris B.
Sorry you feel that way.....maybe my point hit alittle close to home.
NL pulled a classic by those that poffer absurd evidence, moving the goalpost by claiming in the middle of the discussion that no one can say it's fake, without any supporting argument. NL just ran off and I guess boo-hooed to you and here you are with a sanctimonious response to a disccusion you haven't even been involved in......nice stuff thanks for reinforcing my point LOL!
Why don't you take a wack at it, what's compelling about the evidence offered?

Last edited by Cervelo; 15th October 2019 at 08:29 AM.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 08:51 AM   #1624
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 366
BLARGING remains not a word, and lame.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 10:36 AM   #1625
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,202
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
BLARGING remains not a word, and lame.
It is a word used here regularly to describe the make believe games that Bigfooters play, knowing that there is no Bigfoot.

Roger Patterson was a BLAARGER

The NAWAC is BLAARGING

They dress up in camo, and carry guns, and do fake scientific studies, all in the name of BLAARGING
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 11:46 AM   #1626
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,091
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
It seems to me NL is having a discussion about Bigfoot in a thread about Bigfoot.
The actual thread is titled Bigfoot Follies, which describes most of bigfootery in a nutshell. The theme song should be Yackety Sax.
__________________
Everything that happens to you in life usually has a great element of luck involved.

Carroll Shelby

Last edited by Resume; 15th October 2019 at 11:48 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 02:05 PM   #1627
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,057
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
BLARGING remains not a word, and lame.
Feel free to coin your own term of similar descriptive purpose (but somehow with the ability to, like, walk smoothly?) and if it's objectively better then it will become the word that people use. This is how descriptive linguistics works.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2019, 07:23 PM   #1628
8enotto
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,221
That footprint came from an inflexible foot. Like a board.

In soft ground the heel and ball of the foot push in deeper, the toes spread a bit as the step is finished.

It should look smudged at least at the toes.

But, it is a clear and well framed picture proving footers can actually do it once in a great while. Had it been an attempt at a critter photo it would be poorly framed blurry andat three miles distance.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 09:50 AM   #1629
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Feel free to coin your own term of similar descriptive purpose (but somehow with the ability to, like, walk smoothly?) and if it's objectively better then it will become the word that people use. This is how descriptive linguistics works.
no, its calling making stuff up which bigfooting seems to have in common conceptually
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 10:10 AM   #1630
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,901
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
BLARGING remains not a word, and lame.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=Blaarging

Seems a commonly enough accepted term to me.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 10:53 AM   #1631
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=Blaarging

Seems a commonly enough accepted term to me.
wrong.....
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 10:54 AM   #1632
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,901
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
wrong.....
How so?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 01:09 PM   #1633
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22,569
Because it is.

Seems to be the reason.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 06:50 PM   #1634
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,189
I'm from Iowa.

I was a state wrestling champion there, won a lot of other titles there too but that's what you need for street cred in Iowa, so that is the card I play for Iowa, I lettered under Dan Gable in college.

I hunted and camped all over NE Iowa. I had a boat. A 1964 Ford Econoline van. I lived there and did outdoor stuff like a maniac for over a decade.

Until they release GPS coordinates, it is a flat out lie that anyone is 4.5 miles from the nearest house.

The average density is 55 people per square mile, it's ridiculous. Allamakee, the county in the corner - that is 22 people per square mile. I just used google earth there, take for example the land around Yellow River Forest trail. Just an example.

You can arrange it "just so" to get about a mile distance from the center of the dense woods to any house around. Maybe someone could find as much as 1.5 miles if they looked all over, did a grid search on every county there.

But what would be the point? It is an order of magnitude beyond truth. Why lie by 450%? Because your location is secret. It doesn't exist, so you give vague handwaving about where it is and say in order to protect the non-existent species you can't divulge where it is.

My kids are now coming into their own, and will be capable of hunting for big game soon. There's a lot of stuff to do in the woods, but this is a pretty big milestone in growing up for a boy.

We have a salt lick we found by following their antler rubs on the trees around. We built a tree fort nearby, it's big enough for all of us and you can camp in a tent on the platform.

It brings in everything. Every animal in the woods.

People show whether they believe or not through their actions. We carried two 4 x 8 plywood sheets half a mile up a steep hill. We cleared out all the underbrush, there isn't a ******* twig sticking up. The kids will be able to fire in every direction. They are tied at 97% kill shot accuracy at 50 feet, and gradually that will improve.

So the time is coming. Not this year, we are prepping for five months overseas. I've lost over 30 pounds getting ready for yet another Roger Patterson re-creation. You know how those losers doing TV shows on bigfoot where they re-create the story and have the big doofus where bigfoot was and of course at 6'3"" bigfoot was 3 times his size? Well I am the doofus saying "is that really bigfoot" peering onstage in a Bangkok bar.

I will not mention the fellow posting on here who has kids and is doing the BLAARGing thing, I know they went on his pretend car-camping trips.

When a kid brings down a thousand pound animal, it changes him forever. The birds, squirrels, snaring rabbits - that's not bad. But bringing down a caribou, a moose, even a deer... full tilt boogie.

Training them through buck fever though, that is the value of the small game besides the fact it is delicious and costs ridiculous amounts in the restaurants. Eat them for just a .22 round and the work cleaning them.

Well training to fake bigfoot fantasies - that changes a kid too. It's a drama queen act, the role-playing. BLAARGing.

We get the broken collar bones, the cuts and bruises, the frostbite, we track bears for real, have crystal clear pictures of everything we claim to do. You boys got all excited about Cliff Barrackson or whatever his name is - his "research assistant". Mine is under a hundred pounds and the pinch hitter coming in has to bat better than the incumbent.

When you say there is no harm in this BLAARGing you evade the principle of opportunity cost. What could they have been doing instead of being gay pretenders? Well you can go out and do the real thing.

So when the boys are old enough, they are not going to have problems getting laid. They will not have problems being drafted into the infantry or even the air force. They will have shot more than a hundred animals before boot camp eligibility age.

Old infantrymen have told me they could see it in the enemy's eyes. What we called Buck Fever when I was a boy. Someone who froze because it wasn't "muscle memory", it was not "second nature", they had insufficient training to follow through quickly on that moment his enemy was vulnerable.

This is the opportunity cost of pretending. You suck at the real thing.

I am on pain medication for a back injury so excuse the rambling.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2019, 07:34 PM   #1635
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,189
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I'm normally struck by how weird bigfooters are. Sometimes though I'm struck by how weird are the folks offended by how we describe the activities of bigfooters.
Remember that bigfooters learn from the playbook of antisocial personality disorders. Saul Alinsky behavior.

There's a lot like always be on the attack with your opponent and ignore any criticism. Use emotional attacks instead of logic.

Paint your target as subhuman. Stupid. Childish, etc. Accuse the opposition of your own misconduct. The 'footer has horrible things to say about real scientists and skeptics.

Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gaming. Every word in that acronym must be there. To call it by what the vast majority are doing.

They are pretending they live in a world where bigfoot lives, it is an alternate reality. The main requirement of alternate reality games is that you never, never, never acknowledge it is a game.

You do not take off your home-made 12th century armor and shield when the playing is done and acknowledge it was just a role. As they do in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

An argument on the acronym has to be on the basis of what word does not belong in there. Bigfoot? Live Action? Alternate Reality? The fact it is a game?

It is a game where you get under people's skin. You learn how to insult them by saying they are just lemmings, have no sense of adventure, all manner of ridiculous stuff.

I came to bigfoot after many years looking at these antisocial personality types and it struck me immediately how their playbook was exactly the same.

Selective memory, selective attention, lying, projection, shaming, guilt-tripping, playing dumb, playing the servant role - it's amazing.

People self-select into groups. People who like to fish are found at the docks. People who like to fight are in boxing gyms. Not because anyone put them there. It is where they wanted to be.

So where does a dark triad personality locate? Forget bigfoot and look at how flat earthers are so similar. You just pretend to believe NASA is a big conspiracy and you are retarded for believing in those photo-shopped pictures of the moon.

They say that the ice in antarctica is the edge of the world and the government won't let anyone past it. But you can pay for several excellent charters to the North Pole, commercial flights - and I have met one of the flyboys doing it. It is a VERY lucrative run for the pilots.

So why, after years of flat earth coming into this bizarre prominence, have none of them gone to these commercial outfits and sat in one of the seats? They are practicing selective attention, lying, etc. even in the face of absolute bullet-proof contrary evidence.

That is a personality type requiring no shame. No remorse. No embarrassment normal people feel. They get a big thrill out of Duper's Delight.

Amongst psychopaths, sociopaths, Machavelians, sadists,narcissists, etc. the entire spectrum of bad guys the most powerful theme running the gamut is their belief that lying is smart.

Only stupid people tell the truth, act honestly and above-board. That is a naive, gullible mark.

So you troll them. Certain personality types gravitate towards the things James Randy fought against because these are bad people.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 07:32 AM   #1636
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Remember that bigfooters learn from the playbook of antisocial personality disorders. Saul Alinsky behavior.

There's a lot like always be on the attack with your opponent and ignore any criticism. Use emotional attacks instead of logic.

Paint your target as subhuman. Stupid. Childish, etc. Accuse the opposition of your own misconduct. The 'footer has horrible things to say about real scientists and skeptics.

Bigfoot Live Action Alternate Reality Gaming. Every word in that acronym must be there. To call it by what the vast majority are doing.

They are pretending they live in a world where bigfoot lives, it is an alternate reality. The main requirement of alternate reality games is that you never, never, never acknowledge it is a game.

You do not take off your home-made 12th century armor and shield when the playing is done and acknowledge it was just a role. As they do in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

An argument on the acronym has to be on the basis of what word does not belong in there. Bigfoot? Live Action? Alternate Reality? The fact it is a game?

It is a game where you get under people's skin. You learn how to insult them by saying they are just lemmings, have no sense of adventure, all manner of ridiculous stuff.

I came to bigfoot after many years looking at these antisocial personality types and it struck me immediately how their playbook was exactly the same.

Selective memory, selective attention, lying, projection, shaming, guilt-tripping, playing dumb, playing the servant role - it's amazing.

People self-select into groups. People who like to fish are found at the docks. People who like to fight are in boxing gyms. Not because anyone put them there. It is where they wanted to be.

So where does a dark triad personality locate? Forget bigfoot and look at how flat earthers are so similar. You just pretend to believe NASA is a big conspiracy and you are retarded for believing in those photo-shopped pictures of the moon.

They say that the ice in antarctica is the edge of the world and the government won't let anyone past it. But you can pay for several excellent charters to the North Pole, commercial flights - and I have met one of the flyboys doing it. It is a VERY lucrative run for the pilots.

So why, after years of flat earth coming into this bizarre prominence, have none of them gone to these commercial outfits and sat in one of the seats? They are practicing selective attention, lying, etc. even in the face of absolute bullet-proof contrary evidence.

That is a personality type requiring no shame. No remorse. No embarrassment normal people feel. They get a big thrill out of Duper's Delight.

Amongst psychopaths, sociopaths, Machavelians, sadists,narcissists, etc. the entire spectrum of bad guys the most powerful theme running the gamut is their belief that lying is smart.

Only stupid people tell the truth, act honestly and above-board. That is a naive, gullible mark.

So you troll them. Certain personality types gravitate towards the things James Randy fought against because these are bad people.
Look in the mirror boi
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 07:50 AM   #1637
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,202
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Look in the mirror boi
It hurts doesn't it?

He described you exactly didn't he?
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 09:16 AM   #1638
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 366
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
It hurts doesn't it?

He described you exactly didn't he?
nope.... just looking at the same trope, not everyone, but some. YOU perked up quickly enough
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 12:36 PM   #1639
The Shrike
Philosopher
 
The Shrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,057
Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Look in the mirror boi
If you'd like to make a point...

Got a better word? Let's hear it. Don't think that bigfoot-themed, live action, alternate reality gaming is a thing? Make your case.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2019, 06:24 PM   #1640
Night Walker
Critical Thinker
 
Night Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Got a better word? Let's hear it. Don't think that bigfoot-themed, live action, alternate reality gaming is a thing? Make your case.

A recent thesis used the words legend-tripping and ostensive practice in reference to people who "not only actively seek out the thylacine in the wilderness of Tasmania today and share their sightings online, but they have also incorporated the thylacine as a symbol of hope and perseverance into various forms of folk art."

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/etd/7563/

These terms, which are also accurate and applicable to Bigfoot-research, are used extensively in the academic literature to further understanding of cultural practices. Blaarging is not...

Blaarging is only a very recent addition to the Urban Dictionary website created by Awebstersnakes September 30, 2019 (less than 3 weeks ago - convenient, no?). However, Blaarging is predated by the term Blaarg (July 10, 2003) which has a very different (but perhaps more accurate) meaning: "A word that can be used to try and confuse other people. Can be used as a question to add to the confusion. The most appropriate answer for the question is, of course, "Blaarg". "

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blaarg

Last edited by Night Walker; 17th October 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.