ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 19th August 2019, 01:03 PM   #401
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
So, that's a provisional "no" from me on your hypothesis / interesting thing / "not so bad" emissions difference. If my reasoning isn't clear enough, let me know and I can do some graphs, but not right now.

The "clue" is that Germany doesn't contribute enough to the biggest polluter on planet Earth, the Empire's military machine, so any claims of them being "better" in these fields is hippie **** as they lack in murdering people in countries that insist on being sovereign.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 19th August 2019 at 01:04 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 11:19 AM   #402
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Schoolchildren in Russia or China have little chance of influence. Schoolchildren in the West do have a chance of influence, by actually affecting public opinion. I would have thought you'd have been well aware of that.
If you like having your opinion influenced you should be all right with the current state of the press: 95% press release governed. Like Greta.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:22 AM   #403
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ThatGuy11200 View Post
Significant: sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy

It is significant, as we've seen from both the media attention and the actions taken by other school kids.
School children going on strike helps how? (The ones that go ahead appear to have actually been organised and supported by their teachers.)
Old 20th August 2019, 11:59 AM   #404
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
School children going on strike helps how? (The ones that go ahead appear to have actually been organised and supported by their teachers.)
It is a protest. How does protest help? It is the strongest non-violent way of demonstrating support for something if one doesn't yet have a vote.

As far as I know, the one my daughter took part in was organised by the students. Obviously they told the teachers what they were doing - otherwise there'd be no point. It was against school policy, and indeed our school sent a letter advising us against letting our children take part.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 12:16 PM   #405
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It is a protest. How does protest help? It is the strongest non-violent way of demonstrating support for something if one doesn't yet have a vote.

As far as I know, the one my daughter took part in was organised by the students. Obviously they told the teachers what they were doing - otherwise there'd be no point. It was against school policy, and indeed our school sent a letter advising us against letting our children take part.
In some parts of Finland schoolkids have been actively reducing the carbon footprint as a matter of daily life.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:18 PM   #406
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes, and that precludes protesting how?
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 12:27 PM   #407
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, and that precludes protesting how?
Isn't it better to set an example. You saw how Prince Harry preached about global pollution...and then jetted off four times within weeks on a private jet with just his family and entourage on board. Yeah, he dishes out the PR but doesn't practise it.

At least Greta practises what she preaches (or at least, is seen to).
Old 20th August 2019, 12:58 PM   #408
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Isn't it better to set an example. You saw how Prince Harry preached about global pollution...and then jetted off four times within weeks on a private jet with just his family and entourage on board. Yeah, he dishes out the PR but doesn't practise it.

And again, the two don't preclude each other.

I also thought you were criticising Thunberg for her choice of transport upthread?

I actually have no idea what points you are trying to make overall. Each post seems to be utterly self-contained, but overall, apart from a nebulous dislike of something to do with Thunberg (or maybe her parents, or possibly her actions) I am lost.
Old 20th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #409
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

And again, the two don't preclude each other.

I also thought you were criticising Thunberg for her choice of transport upthread?

I actually have no idea what points you are trying to make overall. Each post seems to be utterly self-contained, but overall, apart from a nebulous dislike of something to do with Thunberg (or maybe her parents, or possibly her actions) I am lost.
If you go back to my earliest messages you will see I don't like PR manipulation, whether it be a party political broadcast or an advert for baked beans.

I was initially misled into believing Greta was a random schoolgirl who of her own volition became an ardent green campaigner, making the trek from her home in Sweden to Poland all by herself.

Then we discover she is just another rich kid tagged 'autistic' for maximum public sympathy manipulation effect and in fact, her parents are her driving force.
Old 20th August 2019, 01:05 PM   #410
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If you go back to my earliest messages you will see I don't like PR manipulation, whether it be a party political broadcast or an advert for baked beans.
I think you are missing the point of protests then.
Old 20th August 2019, 01:07 PM   #411
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I think you are missing the point of protests then.
I think to give Greta sole credit for UK school kids going on strike is pandering to a need for celebrity posing.
Old 20th August 2019, 01:27 PM   #412
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think to give Greta sole credit for UK school kids going on strike is pandering to a need for celebrity posing.
I like horse avatar. Your posts make more sense as a means to keep said horse well fed.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:05 PM   #413
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It is reported (by the DailyFail) that two people accompanying Greta and her father on the boat (one being Monaco "royalty" who finances the whole thing) will fly back to Europe while two other people are flying to the US to steer the boat back to Monaco. Which would make Greta cry about how her actions are not being thought through if the rag is correct. If not, the wickedness of that outlet would make Greta cry.
Old 20th August 2019, 02:23 PM   #414
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I deleted a much harder sentence before I posted the above. Abusing children for propaganda is among the most infuriating things to me, no matter how "good" the cause is in the eye of the propagandist. Be it the "they threw the babies out of the incubators" daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the US in the early 90s, be it Bana Alabed, Alan Kurdi, Omran Daqneesh or Greta Thunberg. Despicable.
Old 20th August 2019, 02:29 PM   #415
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I deleted a much harder sentence before I posted the above. Abusing children for propaganda is among the most infuriating things to me, no matter how "good" the cause is in the eye of the propagandist. Be it the "they threw the babies out of the incubators" daughter of the Kuwaiti ambassador to the US in the early 90s, be it Bana Alabed, Alan Kurdi, Omran Daqneesh or Greta Thunberg. Despicable.
Abuse? What sort of boat is she on, a row boat?

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 02:55 PM   #416
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

She's on a boat that if what the DailyFail reports is correct is on a trip that will be twice as hurtful to the environment than if she and daddy would have just taken a flight to NYC.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 20th August 2019 at 03:01 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:08 PM   #417
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

She's on a boat that if what the DailyFail reports is correct is on a trip that will be twice as hurtful to the environment than if she and daddy would have just taken a flight to NYC.
Oh for goodness sake. Must everyone walk bare feet to meetings and protests before they can be treated seriously? This is an incredibly petty argument, and not one often directed at world leaders and people like Attenborough and Gore.

Besides, you know you can pay extra to offset the carbon emissions of airfares, dont you? I do it myself and Im willing to bet the people who sailed on the boat with Greta did the same.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 03:27 PM   #418
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh for goodness sake. Must everyone walk bare feet to meetings and protests before they can be treated seriously? This is an incredibly petty argument, and not one often directed at world leaders and people like Attenborough and Gore.

Besides, you know you can pay extra to offset the carbon emissions of airfares, don’t you? I do it myself and I’m willing to bet the people who sailed on the boat with Greta did the same.

LOL, just out of interest: You calculated the carbon footprint of the cruises and other travels you told us about and donated the equivalent to some causes? If so, that is in some way adorable.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 20th August 2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 20th August 2019, 04:05 PM   #419
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

LOL, just out of interest: You calculated the carbon footprint of the cruises and other travels you told us about and donated the equivalent to some causes? If so, that is in some way adorable.
Only flights. Its easy to do.

And Im in no way perfect. Drive a car, heat and air condition the house.

None of this changes my position that many governments are not doing enough and that Greta is a force for good.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 04:27 PM   #420
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

How is that "abusing children" as you previously claimed?

Old 20th August 2019, 05:31 PM   #421
Elagabalus
Illuminator

It is reported (by the DailyFail) that two people accompanying Greta and her father on the boat (one being Monaco "royalty" who finances the whole thing) will fly back to Europe while two other people are flying to the US to steer the boat back to Monaco. Which would make Greta cry about how her actions are not being thought through if the rag is correct. If not, the wickedness of that outlet would make Greta cry.
Pretty thin gruel.

Did Vlad tell you that Greta's not cool?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:11 PM   #422
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I did not claim that "that" is abusing children. You extracted "that" from my much broader statement.

Good on you, lionking.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:41 PM   #423
Matthew Best
Philosopher

What the people on the boat do is nothing to do with Greta. She is just hitching a lift on a trip that was going to take place anyway, so she is saving carbon by not flying, no matter what everyone else who has to do with the boat does. It's not her boat and she is not in control of how everyone who uses the boat, sails the boat, or is a passenger in the boat in future travels in the future.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:34 PM   #424
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I did not claim that "that" is abusing children. You extracted "that" from my much broader statement.

Good on you, lionking.
Ah, in which case, I'm also against abusing children,.

I'm also against murder and littering.

It doesn't have anything to do with the thread, but apparently, nor did your statement about abusing children , although from the context of the thread, it certainly implied it.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:09 AM   #425
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I guess I lost the thread here, then.

How is Greta being abused for propaganda as you claim in the first post I quote above?

Old 21st August 2019, 12:56 PM   #426
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I guess I lost the thread here, then.

How is Greta being abused for propaganda as you claim in the first post I quote above?

If you understand that propaganda doesn't have to be based on lies, the answer is rather obvious. Pope, Princes, Parliaments.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:41 PM   #427
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I really don't understand why it's just impossible to believe that a 16-year-old girl might care enough about climate change to be motivated to do something about it unless she was manipulated into feeling that way by unscrupulous adults; and nor do I see why adults accommodating that expressed ambition if they happen to agree with it constitutes "abuse".

Did the adults who let this boy start his lemonade stand "abuse" him thereby?

Quote:
When he was 5, Oliver got inspired to sell lemonade and told his parents he would use proceeds for his college fund, officials said. They told him not to worry about college. Oliver then decided he wanted to donate to the money to St. Jude after learning about it while watching television with his grandmother, officials said.

In Oliver’s first summer selling lemonade, he made $861.25, officials said. This summer, he has made the most money ever for the children’s hospital, raking in more than $3,725, which put him over the $10,000 mark, officials said.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 01:53 PM   #428
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

^you are beating up a strawman. Oliver hasn't met the Pope, spoken at various parliaments and crossed the ocean on a Monaco royal's high-tech boat.

Some people seem to be too thin-skinned to even tolerate any criticism of the phenomenon, not the girl. Is that necessary?
Old 21st August 2019, 03:24 PM   #429
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

btw I just read that it has been one (1) year yesterday, August 20th 2018, that Greta Thunberg for the first time refused to go to school on Friday. Everybody who isn't interested in the story behind the story where she met Pope. Princes and Parliaments in that year is in my opinion a curiously incurious person.
Old 21st August 2019, 03:41 PM   #430
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh for goodness sake. Must everyone walk bare feet to meetings and protests before they can be treated seriously?
Greta's trying to make a serious point with boat travel in place of plane travel. It's hard to take her seriously when this arrangement results in more plane travel than if she'd simply traveled by plane herself.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 06:23 PM   #431
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I'm surprised no one has had a go at her for the fact that 2 boat crew members have to be flown, FLOWN , out to the US to help sail the boat back to EU.

And this being ISF, then quibble for 3 pages about the actual carbon footprint reduction measures they funded to compensate for the flight.

Nailed it!
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 08:19 PM   #432
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

^you are beating up a strawman. Oliver hasn't met the Pope, spoken at various parliaments and crossed the ocean on a Monaco royal's high-tech boat.
What difference does it make? Allowing a teenager to speak at a parliament for instance is "abuse" how, exactly?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:37 AM   #433
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Greta's trying to make a serious point with boat travel in place of plane travel. It's hard to take her seriously when this arrangement results in more plane travel than if she'd simply traveled by plane herself.
But has it resulted in more plane travel than if she'd simply traveled by plane? I don't think that has been demonstrated.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:15 AM   #434
3point14
Pi

Oh for goodness sake. Must everyone walk bare feet to meetings and protests before they can be treated seriously?

It's a weird sort of a gotcha.

People who don't like the shape the world is and want to change it still have to live in it.

Those who (for whatever reason, probably someone's paying them) don't like the message (that we're killing the planet) then observe protesters living in the real world (because there's literally no option) and cry "Look - Hypocrite - you're functioning in the real world."

That those who level this weird accusation think it's some sort of trump card just shows how shallow their thinking is.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 07:57 AM   #435
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
But has it resulted in more plane travel than if she'd simply traveled by plane? I don't think that has been demonstrated.
Good point. I misread the original report. It looks ilke the same amount of flying either way:

Greta and her father fly out and fly back - 4 flights.

Monaco guy and his retainer sail out and fly back, alternate boat crew fly out and sail back - 4 flights.

So it's basically an empty gesture, but not actually harmful.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:00 AM   #436
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Good point. I misread the original report. It looks ilke the same amount of flying either way:

Greta and her father fly out and fly back - 4 flights.

Monaco guy and his retainer sail out and fly back, alternate boat crew fly out and sail back - 4 flights.

So it's basically an empty gesture, but not actually harmful.
Wait - how do you know that "Monaco guy and his retainer sail out and fly back, alternate boat crew fly out and sail back - 4 flights" wasn't going to happen anyway?
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:14 AM   #437
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Wait - how do you know that "Monaco guy and his retainer sail out and fly back, alternate boat crew fly out and sail back - 4 flights" wasn't going to happen anyway?
She's just hitching a ride on a boat that was going to make the trip already? Okay, sure. That's pretty responsible, I guess.

Hopefully she spends the entire trip lecturing Monaco guy on the wastefulness of booking four flights when he's got a perfectly good sailboat.

I dunno. No matter how you look at it, it seems like an empty gesture. Yes, she's maybe saving a couple plane trips... By tagging along with one of the world's elites, on his luxury toy, which he happily disregards whenever air travel is more convenient. Everything about the trip except her passage itself is pure consumption. It would have made more sense for her to book passage on a working freighter, that at least produces something of value in exchange for its emissions.

What's the message Thunberg is trying to send here? Air travel is bad? Not if you're European royalty, apparently. If a prince offers you a boat ride, take it?
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:18 AM   #438
Matthew Best
Philosopher

So she's saved the carbon from four intercontinental flights and you're still complaining?

I guess there's no pleasing some people.
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:03 AM   #439
Wayward son
Muse

She's just hitching a ride on a boat that was going to make the trip already? Okay, sure. That's pretty responsible, I guess.
Except the boat wasn't going to make the trip already.

As the origin link, which I assume Matthew Best never bothered to read, made clear: "'We added the trip to New York City at very short notice, and as a result two people will need to fly over to the US in order to bring the boat back,' a Team Malizia spokeswoman told the Times."

She reduced the number of trips her father and her had to take by 4 (trips that were not necessary to make in the first place), and increased the number of trips the crew had to make by 4.
Wayward son is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 09:11 AM   #440
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Except the boat wasn't going to make the trip already.

As the origin link, which I assume Matthew Best never bothered to read, made clear: "'We added the trip to New York City at very short notice, and as a result two people will need to fly over to the US in order to bring the boat back,' a Team Malizia spokeswoman told the Times."

She reduced the number of trips her father and her had to take by 4 (trips that were not necessary to make in the first place), and increased the number of trips the crew had to make by 4.
Well then, that's perfect. There's the excuse you need to ignore her.

Problem is, right wingers can't ignore her, because she's still a massive problem for them.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events