ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Paris incidents

Old 3rd October 2019, 04:49 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Paris Mass Killing - 4 dead - 3 are cops

Paris police attack: Four killed by knife-wielding employee

Originally Posted by BBC News
A knife-wielding employee has killed three officers and one administrative worker at police headquarters in the centre of the French capital, Paris.

The attacker, who has not been named, was shot dead by police. Witnesses described scenes of panic, with many people fleeing the building in tears. The area in the île de la Cité was sealed off.

The attack came a day after police went on strike across France over increasing violence towards officers. The Paris prosecutor said a murder investigation had been launched.

A motive for the attack remains unclear. However, police union officials have suggested the attacker may have been involved in a workplace dispute.

At about 13:00 local time (11:00 GMT; 12:00 BST), the attacker is said to have gone into the building and straight to his office where he began attacking colleagues with a knife. He stabbed three people inside two offices and two women on a stairway, before he was shot dead by an officer inside the building's courtyard, according to French media.

Three men and one woman were killed, Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz told reporters. A fifth person was critically injured in the attack, and was sent for surgery. The building is near major tourist sites including the Notre-Dame cathedral...
https://www.bbc.com/news/49921145
Old 3rd October 2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Venom
Illuminator

These people walk among us.

Kinda scary to think about.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

As an update - it appears it may be Islamist inspired:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...urope-49945640

“Anti-terror investigators have taken over the inquiry into the killing of four police employees by a colleague in Paris on Thursday.”
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 07:19 AM   #4
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Paris : the city of love?

Paris is not the city of love it seems
More like murderers and criminals by all means
ShortHaxYT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 07:55 AM   #5
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Because of course stuff like that never happens in other First-World countries.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 02:05 PM   #6
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

suicide by Gendarme?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 02:30 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

So I guess this is a mass knifing. In a police station no less. Huh.
Old 6th October 2019, 03:24 PM   #8
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by ShortHaxYT View Post
I've never heard Paris called "the city of love." The "city of light," yeah, for about 100 years now?
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 03:44 PM   #9
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

I still here it sometimes here and there. I guess people don't want to concede that Paris is not what it used to be anymore.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Old 6th October 2019, 03:50 PM   #10
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I still here it sometimes here and there. I guess people don't want to concede that Paris is not what it used to be anymore.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Was it ever?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2019, 05:50 PM   #11
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Was it ever?

In 2018, 89.4 million people went to France for travel and tourism. You could expect that a chunk of them would be newly-weds going for a honeymoon.

Even Google thinks that Paris is the “the City of Love.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7th October 2019, 03:09 AM   #12
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Have you compared the murder rate of Paris as compared to Toronto?

I did, and it's not looking good for Toronto.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2019, 06:41 AM   #13
ShortHaxYT
Scholar

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Have you compared the murder rate of Paris as compared to Toronto?

I did, and it's not looking good for Toronto.
You're dead right (there). Even though I live there some areas are more chaotic than others. I am fortunate to live in an area where criminal activity doesn't happen. Usually, areas that are situated in low-income housing neighborhoods tint Toronto's homicide numbers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events