ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th October 2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Arcade22
Philosopher

Far-Right terrorist shoots and kills two people in Germany, tried to storm synagogue

Quote:
At least two people have been killed and two others injured in gun attacks in the east German city of Halle.

It is thought one suspect, who has been arrested, killed a man at a kebab shop and a woman near a synagogue.

Witnesses inside the synagogue say the gunman tried to force his way through the door, where dozens were inside observing Yom Kippur on Wednesday.

Videos from the scene appear to show the suspect wore military-type clothing and used several weapons in the attack.

It also appears he wore a camera and streamed the attack online, according to the Site Intelligence extremist monitoring group.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49988482

So he failed to break into the synagogue, shoots some random passersby and then shoots up a kebab shop killing another person.

He apparently tried to use some kind of explosive or incendiary device but they don't appear to have worked.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:56 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, the extreme right is on the rise in Germany , apparently.
No reason to worry, no real problems last time that happened....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:00 PM   #3
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Fails in attack on synagogue so attacks kebab shop. You can't make this up. "Loony Right" is a very apt description.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes

Last edited by a_unique_person; 9th October 2019 at 05:01 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:19 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The leader of the AfD party..the right wing neo Nazi party that has been rising in the polls condemned the attacks.
He is defiantly in the running for the hypocrite of the week award.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2019, 05:56 PM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like a New Zealand copycat. He was livestreaming on Twitch.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:57 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure it's Obama's fault, as we'll hear shortly. Because reasons.
Old 9th October 2019, 07:59 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Tell me again how antifa is the problem?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:37 AM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
not enough of them.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 05:09 AM   #9
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Fails in attack on synagogue so attacks kebab shop. You can't make this up. "Loony Right" is a very apt description.
So much for German efficiency....
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 06:20 AM   #10
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49988482

So he failed to break into the synagogue, shoots some random passersby and then shoots up a kebab shop killing another person.

He apparently tried to use some kind of explosive or incendiary device but they don't appear to have worked.
I watched the video someone phonecammed of him shooting. Apparently he was using some kind of homemade pipe rifle that was single shot. Shotgun shell or rifle round I don’t know.

Police are saying there may have been a second shooter. But we get that kind of rumor a lot after these kinds of shootings.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well but these guys aren't literally the actual Nazis from the 1930's, therefore there's absolutely no cause for concern.

Last edited by Checkmite; 10th October 2019 at 10:03 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Gee, the extreme right is on the rise in Germany , apparently.
No reason to worry, no real problems last time that happened....
That's ok. I'm told political violence is only a problem on the left.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th October 2019, 02:11 PM   #13
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So much for German efficiency....
We can be thankful for the fact that the main gun he chose to use was of a British design, so of course it jammed all the time while he was trying to shoot people:

Quote:
A mission statement that the suspect uploaded to Kohlchan – the German message board equivalent of 4chan – where it was later found by researchers at the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College, London, appears to confirm the use of homemade firearms built according to plans released by a British pro-gun activist from West Yorkshire.

Philip Luty, who believed British gun control laws were “fascist”, devoted his life to publicising blueprints for making firearms from easy to obtain materials, with the goal of allowing private citizens around the world to flout gun restrictions by building weapons at home.

When he died of cancer in 2011, Luty, 46, was facing three terrorism charges for manuals he had published explaining how to build firearms, including a 9mm submachine gun, according to the Yorkshire Evening Post.

The Halle suspect appears to have used one of these homemade Luty submachine guns, as well as other homemade guns and hand grenades, according to the Kohlchan documents.

The documents suggest he used homemade guns intentionally, with the goal of “showing the viability of improvised guns” for people who want to carry out terror attacks but who do not have access to commercially made weapons.

The footage of the shooting suggests the homemade guns malfunctioned, which may have helped prevent more murders. After attacks on both a synagogue and a kebab shop, according to the livestreamed footage, the gunman said: “Sorry, guys, the ******* Luty is ****!”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ly-video-shows

Although I said earlier that the bombs he used didn't work, at least some of them apparently did work although it's not established whether anyone was wounded by them.

Either way, if he was trying to showcase the potential of improvised firearms, he only showed that they leave a lot to be desired.
Old 11th October 2019, 09:58 AM   #14
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
We can be thankful for the fact that the main gun he chose to use was of a British design, so of course it jammed all the time while he was trying to shoot people:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ly-video-shows

Although I said earlier that the bombs he used didn't work, at least some of them apparently did work although it's not established whether anyone was wounded by them.

Either way, if he was trying to showcase the potential of improvised firearms, he only showed that they leave a lot to be desired.
That's got to be unique, a story in which cancer is the hero.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events