IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th February 2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Anyone know how HTML 5 video works?

I think that's what it's called.

I have an Android tablet, and after 3 years on contract (only 2 required), I cancelled the contract, only intending to use it to watch videos over home wifi.

Unfortunately, when my contract ran out, app-based videos all started failing, though stuff through a browser worked (Big Brother Live Feed, LiveLeak). But stuff on apps didn't. Netflix, YouTube, AMC app, some others.

They run for a few seconds to a minute, then start jumping back (Netflix) or just stop playing the video at all (YouTube).

As far as I can tell, it's either trying to call home to Verizon and the account is cancelled, to verify you are a legitimate viewer somehow. Or maybe it's spyware from them buried in a contract or someone else.

Anyway, who understands this and knows what to do?

I've tried uninstalling HTML 5, but Google Android won't let me. And these apps will not let you work through a browser even if set to desktop mode.

Several times I've gone into the boot mode and re-loaded the entire factory OS, but problem not solved. Presumably this is the Verizon load.

I've found pointers to generic reference OS loads for my tablet (a Samsung) but they aren's on a Samsung site, so I'm scared to try it.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 24th February 2021 at 04:09 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 04:35 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What contract did you cancel?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 06:00 PM   #3
TalosMarr
Scholar

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I think that's what it's called.

I have an Android tablet, and after 3 years on contract (only 2 required), I cancelled the contract, only intending to use it to watch videos over home wifi.

Unfortunately, when my contract ran out, app-based videos all started failing, though stuff through a browser worked (Big Brother Live Feed, LiveLeak). But stuff on apps didn't. Netflix, YouTube, AMC app, some others.

They run for a few seconds to a minute, then start jumping back (Netflix) or just stop playing the video at all (YouTube).

As far as I can tell, it's either trying to call home to Verizon and the account is cancelled, to verify you are a legitimate viewer somehow. Or maybe it's spyware from them buried in a contract or someone else.

Anyway, who understands this and knows what to do?

I've tried uninstalling HTML 5, but Google Android won't let me. And these apps will not let you work through a browser even if set to desktop mode.

Several times I've gone into the boot mode and re-loaded the entire factory OS, but problem not solved. Presumably this is the Verizon load.

I've found pointers to generic reference OS loads for my tablet (a Samsung) but they aren's on a Samsung site, so I'm scared to try it.
HTML 5 is/was just a Flash alternative (now replacement), with less bloat and better usability, I doubt it has anything to do with your issues unless your apps are out of date. Maybe the apps stopped auto updating when your account was closed for some reason, but any issue with out of date apps should have been resolved if you did a fresh install (not a factory reset though unless it removed your apps and you had to re-download).

I used to have video streaming issues when my android phones' memory was nearing capacity or when the cache was getting too full of temp files (browser viewing). I haven't had issues with our android tablet but it hasn't ever been associated with a cell carrier or account and has never had it's memory get near capacity.

I don't know much about the android operating system itself, even less about any changes Verizon may have made, so I really can't comment on the OS causing issues. Your symptoms however would have me checking my desktop for nic/wifi adapter timing out (usually 'power save' mode) or signal interference.

Is the account you use to log into Netflix associated with the cell carrier/account, as in you got the account when you signed up as part of the service? I don't even think they can associate a youtube account with a carrier so I doubt it would be causing issues there but who knows.

I've been out of the troubleshooting game for about 10 years now so I'm a bit out of date and rusty, sorry if none of this helps.
TalosMarr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 06:06 PM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It works like this: <video></video>

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds like your tablet lacks some codecs.
Old 25th February 2021, 07:50 AM   #5
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
It works like this: <video></video>

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about but it sounds like your tablet lacks some codecs.
^ I second this. Mostly because I think if HTML5 were "broken" it wouldn't load a video at all. It would just error out. If you're able to download apps after the factory reset that means that the internet is working. So it's not searching for your cellular data network. Youtube and Netflix certainly wouldn't care if you have a Verizon account. It's definitely odd that your contract ran out and your tablet started malfunctioning as well. I'm officially stumped. I'd suggest looking for codec or seeing if the network adapter is broken. Perhaps something happened where it's not sustaining a WiFi connection.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:45 AM   #6
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

More details please. What contract was cancelled? What exactly did you do? I'm curious how you tried to uninstall HTML 5, that doesn't really make any sense.

If the contract was your internet provider then ending the contract may have drastically reduced your bandwidth.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

go to youtube on your browser and watch a video. youtube is HTML 5
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 08:10 AM   #8
Wudang
BOFH

Wild guess - is your SIM still in the tablet and if so have you tried removing it?
Old 26th February 2021, 10:44 AM   #9
Beerina

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
More details please. What contract was cancelled? What exactly did you do? I'm curious how you tried to uninstall HTML 5, that doesn't really make any sense.

If the contract was your internet provider then ending the contract may have drastically reduced your bandwidth.

It was a Verizon account. I still have my phone on the same account. I just removed the tablet, costing $10 a month for an assigned phone number for the tablet I literally never used.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Beerina

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
go to youtube on your browser and watch a video. youtube is HTML 5
I know, but YouTube forces you into the app on this Android device.

Old 26th February 2021, 10:47 AM   #11
Beerina

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Wild guess - is your SIM still in the tablet and if so have you tried removing it?
I will try this. I never looked, but I assume it has a sim card since it had an assigned Verizon phone number.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet