IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 21st February 2021, 08:26 PM   #3161
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yes, the number of people reporting having been assaulted by the alleged rapist has grown to four. There's a serial rapist at large in Parliament House and I for one would like to know what's being done about that.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:46 PM   #3162
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
If a person treats another person inappropriately they probably also treat other people in the same way. The only solution is to get rid of this person. Either that or you endorse the behaviour.
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes, the number of people reporting having been assaulted by the alleged rapist has grown to four. There's a serial rapist at large in Parliament House and I for one would like to know what's being done about that.
And the actual number I suggest could grow. He seems to have had the attitude that vulnerable females should be sexually abused. I suggest that everyone who knew, or should have known, of the allegations and did nothing about it is an accessory before the fact.

Here is the news article about the four women.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...-case/13178190
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:57 PM   #3163
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Craig Kelly has just quit the Liberal Party.
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:31 PM   #3164
Thor 2
Philosopher

Craig's office is under investigation due to inappropriate behaviour by one Mr Zumbo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-...kelly/13184948

Quote:
Mr Kelly has previously vigorously defended Mr Zumbo and said standing him aside was one of the options the Prime Minister's staff had put to him last week.
"I said at the moment, there are no charges that have been laid, there is an AVO application which has been publicly known for at least six months that doesn't affect his ongoing work and I see no grounds for him to be thrown under the bus," he told the ABC last week.

So Kelly is standing by his man.

Maybe he has alternative views about sexual harassment to go along with the alternative medicine leaning.
Old 24th February 2021, 03:23 PM   #3165
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Peter Dutton defends handling of information around Brittany Higgins rape allegation

Quote:
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has defended his decision not to tell the Prime Minister about an alleged sexual assault in Parliament, saying it was a sensitive, operational matter.

Brittany Higgins alleged she was raped by a male colleague inside a minister's office two years ago.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) briefed Mr Dutton days before the allegations became public.

He described the information he received as "high level" and "more around the process than the detail" of the alleged offence.
The brussels sprout is not doing himself any favours here, in my opinion.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #3166
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Peter Dutton defends handling of information around Brittany Higgins rape allegation

Beat me to it. Everyone knows that “he said, she said” is nothing other than casting doubt on a woman’s rape allegation. And from an ex-cop, this does not surprise at all.

The Coalition’s handling of this issue simply couldn’t be worse.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #3167
Wildy
Adelaidean

I want to say that Dutton is an idiot, but I honestly feel like most of his actions are due to malice and not stupidity.

As an aside, I feel like the highlighted bit would be more applicable to Cormann.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM   #3168
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Higgins and one of the other victims both said they advised the AFP years ago at the time of the offences. One of them made a formal complaint (Higgins did not AFAIK). The AFP should then have immediately advised the minister responsible (Home Affairs?) for managing government employees inside Parliament House at that time as a matter of course. That minister was Dutton.

So if the AFP did their job then Dutton or his office must surely have been informed then. If they did not then the AFP has failed in their duty. Personally I believe they did inform someone.

If Dutton's staff only were advised but failed to advise Dutton then they are grossly negligent and culpable.

If Dutton was advised, either directly from the AFP or by his staff, and has done nothing for years then his position as minister is untenable, and he has been, frankly, criminally negligent in failing to deal with at least one serious crime.

And if indeed he was informed a while back then he is lying now.

But this is the sort of attitude that Dutton brings to the job. He is a relic of the Queensland Bjelke Peterson "brown paper bags of cash" days, being a copper at the time when half the Qld force was on the take. They would be quite prepared to overlook an offence or two if there was something in it for them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; Yesterday at 05:34 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #3169
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
As an aside, I feel like the highlighted bit would be more applicable to Cormann.
Fair, but brussels sprout is how First Dog refers to him, so with me it's just stuck.
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #3170
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ali France is running against Dutton again. Good luck to her.
Old Today, 05:23 PM   #3171
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Proof the 501s are working out nicely for Australia.

In the past one month, not only was the week-long and highly-destructive Waikeria Prison riot started by 501s, we've had - in the past three days - #1, a 501 who became President of the NZ Commancheros sentenced to 15 years for meth, #2, a double murderer who served 15 years in Aussie now locked up for another 15 years for sexually molesting his girlfriend's young children, and #3, one who won't add to NZ's prison costs, because the cops shot and killed him last night. Not sure what his 501 was for, but he was definitely deported under the rule.

Thanks, Australia!

Can we send Brenton Tarrant back now?
Old Today, 06:08 PM   #3172
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
<snip>

Can we send Brenton Tarrant back now?
NZ has not sent him back already? Or is NZ waiting until his sentence is up?
Old Today, 06:17 PM   #3173
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
NZ has not sent him back already? Or is NZ waiting until his sentence is up?
Sadly, the latter, and since the sentence is life without parole, I'm picking he'll die in a NZ prison.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics