IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccine , vaccines

Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM   #921
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
My sense is that jab is slang but everyone is saying it.
I'd say common usage, rather than slang. (Unless you're in Scotland, where they say 'jag' rather than 'jab'.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:45 AM   #922
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I'd say common usage, rather than slang. (Unless you're in Scotland, where they say 'jag' rather than 'jab'.)
Yes I saw jag.
I will say injection if there is a need to say anything.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM   #923
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56208674

"Vaccinating people in order of age is the fastest way to cut Covid-19 deaths in the next phase of the roll-out, say experts advising the UK government.
People in their 40s will be next in line, followed by those aged 30-39.
Priority based on jobs would be "more complex" and could slow down the programme, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation said."

"It says the following groups should be prioritised, once all at-risk groups in phase one have been offered at least one dose of the vaccine:
all those aged 40-49 years
all those aged 30-39 years
all those aged 18-29 years

"And it strongly advises some particular groups to take up a vaccine as soon as it is offered. They are:
men
people from black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
people with a BMI over 30
people living in poorer neighbourhoods"

The police and teachers are going to go mental!
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #924
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Let the bun fight begin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...latest-updates

"The national chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales has called the decision not to prioritise officers in the next phase of the coronavirus vaccination programme a “deep and damaging betrayal” which “will not be forgotten”.

"Geoff Barton, the general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said his members were “disappointed” by the news"
Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM   #925
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

My sister has just tipped me off that over-60s can now book a vaccination, at least in England.

The closest it's offering me is in Slough. I'll maybe try again later, I know of three centres closer than that, including one I can walk to, but those might all be run by the local GP practices rather than the central NHS.

Have you really not been contacted to get a vaccination? You're over 60? Something has surely gone amiss.

I can see why they'd set up a system where patients can come forward on their own intiative, because there are always glitchy situations such as someone not being registered with a GP, but if you're in a normal settled lifestyle with your own GP you really should have been contacted.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #926
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Let the bun fight begin

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...latest-updates

"The national chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales has called the decision not to prioritise officers in the next phase of the coronavirus vaccination programme a “deep and damaging betrayal” which “will not be forgotten”.

"Geoff Barton, the general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, said his members were “disappointed” by the news"

The argument I heard on the radio was pretty compelling. It said that to prioritise by occupation, even if it could be done seamlessly, would only result in these people jumping the queue by about a week, and in practice the complicated re-prioritising necessary would actually slow down the whole exercise.

This is just selfishness on the part of groups who want to be seen as special. On the upside, the public spectacle of people fighting to get the vaccine and getting all huffy when they aren't bumped up the list may have an effect on people who are vaccine hesitant but not fullblown antivax nutcases.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #927
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I'm surprised that the police hadn't already been done, especially those on the frontline policing lockdown violators, etc. On the other hand, once you start giving certain groups priority, where do you stop? There's also the practical side of keeping track; an age-based system is pretty straightforward, and can be run from the NHS database. Profession-based is more difficult to track.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #928
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Have you really not been contacted to get a vaccination? You're over 60? Something has surely gone amiss.
They've only just started doing over-60s, as far as I know. I'll probably get an invitation from the GP in the coming week, but thought I might as well get it booked. Where is live has a fairly old demographic, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's behind other areas in dealing with the first 6 groups.
Quote:

I can see why they'd set up a system where patients can come forward on their own intiative, because there are always glitchy situations such as someone not being registered with a GP, but if you're in a normal settled lifestyle with your own GP you really should have been contacted.
There's at least two systems in operation, in England at least. There's a GP based one, and the centralised NHS one with big centres. The centre I'm booked into is in the nearest large town (only 7 miles away), which I suspect has a younger population than where I live, so is probably further through the age groups.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM   #929
p0lka
Master Poster

I had my first dose of the pfizer vaccine yesterday at my GP. They texted me a week ago to book an appointment, I'm T1 diabetic so it's possible they are still doing people with underlying conditions in my area.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #930
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The NHS website I booked through is (I didn't notice at the time) stating it's for over-64s without medical conditions. However, there's a lot of talk on the web saying it's now allowing over 60s to book, and I had no problem doing so. It does ask about various medical conditions, but I don't have any and it still gave me an appointment.

I think it's more likely they simply haven't updated the text on the web page rather than they've made a mistake in the validation of the data you enter when giving out appointments. Either way, I have an appointment for Monday, and I'm not feeling particularly guilty. It's at a remote site, so I'm freeing up a slot at the local centre for those not able to travel easily.

If there is a mistake in the coding, they've had plenty of time to fix it or issue a statement telling people not to book.

Last edited by zooterkin; Yesterday at 09:37 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #931
Kestrel
Philosopher

My healthcare provider set up a phone system that will report your position in line. Based on the current rate of movement my first vaccination shot will be three months from now.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #932
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
The argument I heard on the radio was pretty compelling. It said that to prioritise by occupation, even if it could be done seamlessly, would only result in these people jumping the queue by about a week, and in practice the complicated re-prioritising necessary would actually slow down the whole exercise.

This is just selfishness on the part of groups who want to be seen as special. On the upside, the public spectacle of people fighting to get the vaccine and getting all huffy when they aren't bumped up the list may have an effect on people who are vaccine hesitant but not fullblown antivax nutcases.
Jason Leitch made the point that the age of the people who are in close contact with the workers is the real issue. Police officers do roll around on the ground and arrest 80 year olds, it is with 20 year olds. Teachers teach kids and younger people, not 80 year olds.

I also heard that GPs can easily rank by age, but many records do not show occupation, so that would mean a lot of work to find out what everyone does.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #933
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I'm surprised that the police hadn't already been done, especially those on the frontline policing lockdown violators, etc. On the other hand, once you start giving certain groups priority, where do you stop? There's also the practical side of keeping track; an age-based system is pretty straightforward, and can be run from the NHS database. Profession-based is more difficult to track.
Lots of police can easily socially distance as they work, such as CID taking statements. Many police work in offices and over the phone. The cops who get up close and personal are younger cops in the 20s and 30s in response, as they arrest teenagers and those in their 20s. I worked in custody for years over my career and I can count on one hand the number of over 80s we kept in cells and none of them wanted to fight.

I think we are now at 27 police officers have died in the UK, which works out at about 15 per 100,000, which is lower than every occupation being tracked by the ONS.

I get that many shifts lose cops to self-isolating when some twat coughs on them as they are being arrested. But there has also been large reductions in many crimes, so there has not been a collapse in law and order.

The unseemly demands by some police for the vaccine is just another instance of how the police have done rather badly during this crisis and lost public support.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9516566.html

"All prosecutions under the new Coronavirus Act have been unlawful, a review has found.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) revealed that all 44 charges it had so far checked had been withdrawn or overturned."

There have been numerous cases of police being seriously stupid and showing no common sense when it comes to mixing up guidance and the regs. Too many police have shown that they are not very bright and they neither understand the science or the law.
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #934
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It appears that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine has a lower efficacy than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. But the J&J is one-dose, and the others are two-dose. Is there any indication that if people received two J&J shots, or just one of the others, the results would be more comparable?

Last edited by Bob001; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM   #935
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It appears that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine has a lower efficacy than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. But the J&J is one-dose, and the others are two-dose. Is there any indication that if people received two J&J shots, or just one of the others, the results would be more comparable?
They are actually doing studies regarding using second doses of the J&J vaccine that right now...

For example, one in the United States (See: WBTV) and one in the U.K. (See: Courier Journal)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #936
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's a competitive market. Easier handling... check.

Only one dose ... check.

No worries if two doses turn out to be better, by that time J&J market share will be established.

It's Pfizer now that needs to address the handling problem or they will lose any future market share when these other vaccines take more and more market share.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #937
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Jason Leitch made the point that the age of the people who are in close contact with the workers is the real issue. Police officers do roll around on the ground and arrest 80 year olds, it is with 20 year olds. Teachers teach kids and younger people, not 80 year olds.
Lots of police can easily socially distance as they work, such as CID taking statements. Many police work in offices and over the phone. The cops who get up close and personal are younger cops in the 20s and 30s in response, as they arrest teenagers and those in their 20s.
A couple of things need to be kept in mind...

- You talk about interactions between cops and 80 year olds vs. teenagers. Now, it is true that the elderly are more likely to die from covid than teenagers (or cops of working age). But, those teens and the police can both carry the virus (even if they have no or very mild symptoms). If the goal is to stop the overall spread of the virus, vaccinating the police might be useful (even if the police themselves, and/or those they normally interact with, are low risk.)

- You mentioned that "Lots of police can socially distance". How exactly can they determine that? Vaccinating by age is easy, but is there an easy way to identify which police interact with the community and which ones work in isolation? (At least from an overall policy perspective.)
Quote:
I think we are now at 27 police officers have died in the UK, which works out at about 15 per 100,000, which is lower than every occupation being tracked by the ONS.
I guess one question I would have is... do these figures account for health and age at all, and do they also consider those who don't die but have significant illness.

I figure a policeman would be (on average) healthier than an average desk worker (since police officers needs a certain amount of fitness as part of their job.) So simply looking at death rates might not give a good indication of the risks.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #938
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's a competitive market.
It's Pfizer now that needs to address the handling problem or they will lose any future market share when these other vaccines take more and more market share.
A couple of things...

- Pfizer's vaccine still has significant issues with handling. But, there is a little more flexibility with the handling of the vaccines than when they started.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it is allowing undiluted frozen vials of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to be transported and stored at conventional temperatures commonly found in pharmaceutical freezers for a period of up to two weeks.

Still has to be kept ultra-cold much of the time, but this should make the distribution a little bit easier.

- The fact that Pfizer (and Moderna) were able to get its vaccine ready so quickly probably means that, if we need to come up with boosters to handle new variants, there is a good chance that Pfizer will be one of the first ones with an upgraded vaccine too.

Plus, while the J&J and AZ are pretty good vaccines, some people might think the extra coverage provided by Pfizer is worth it.

We are Groot - Groot
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #939
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Reposting from the general discussion thread.

Major rise in public support for COVID vaccine – Oxford study

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-24...e-oxford-study

"More than three quarters of people in the UK now say they are ’very likely’ to have the vaccine – up from 50% among the same group of survey respondents five months ago –according to a two-wave Oxford University survey published today [February 24, 2021]."

The study:

https://rpubs.com/benwansell/729135
Orphia Nay is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology