IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 6th January 2021, 09:46 AM   #41
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 97,842
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's what I try, but it never works out.

The Start: a completely clean (scrubbed clean, even!) large table with nothing but components on it, all neatly laid out in order, all necessary tools and supplies ready to hand, instructions and checklists neatly clipboarded and ready to follow. Surgeries are less neatly planned.

Midway: I'm sobbing in panic, thermal paste smeared on my hands, shirt, and forehead. I've managed to cut myself and get blood drops on the motherboard. Screws are lost somewhere on the floor, I find one when I step on it and it goes into my instep. I dropped the video card at one point and heard a cracking noise but can't tell what it was. Possibly my own spine. There's a weird bit sticking up that is blocking a component from going in, and I can't tell what that bit is--should I force it? Could I just snap it off? I can't see properly through the tears.

The End: The last cable shoved anyhow into the case, "I'll neaten that up later," I say, and conclude "it's good enough for now!" and vow that next time, it'll be different.
All that is missing is the one small widget that is required that I didn’t realise and then the house is looking like it’s been ransacked by the police, every cupboard and drawer open, contents spewed forth onto the floor as I am sure I had such a widget and thought - “oh I’ll put that somewhere sensible as I might need it in 3 years time”.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 09:47 AM   #42
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 97,842
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Sometimes, usually while I'm waiting for someone to call me about something urgent that I have to put everything on hold for but then it takes them 30 minutes to actually pick up the damn phone, I will read threads that I don't have any real interest in. I haven't even considered building a PC since the 486/66 was the new hotness and have no intention of doing so anytime soon. But my kid has built one and I like to know what they are talking about, so I read past the stuff I don't understand to try to figure out why LEDs are important and how much of a difference does the GPU really make.



And then you post this and I am so glued to the edge of my seat I'm pissed that I bought chair instead of a stool. This would be freaking awesome and I can't even consider clicking over to Youtube because that call could come in any moment now.

Thank you.

My poor child will hate you for planting this seed.
My pleasure.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you

Last edited by Darat; 6th January 2021 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Because I is a bastard!
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:26 AM   #43
GodMark2
Master Poster
 
GodMark2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,211
Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
This is the best PC build case known to man. We use several of them here at work for bench and test build machines. It's... labor intensive as it comes completely disassembled, but sooooo customizable.


[imgw=640]
I prefer mine a little quieter...

https://www.fractal-design.com/produ...sb-c/blackout/

...Ok, maybe a LOT quieter. Like, walk into a silent room, forget it's already on, hit the power button, only for the OS to say "Hey, I'm already on, moron", quieter.
__________________
Knowing that we do not know, it does not necessarily follow that we can not know.
GodMark2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:05 PM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 59,744
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
All that is missing is the one small widget that is required that I didn’t realise and then the house is looking like it’s been ransacked by the police, every cupboard and drawer open, contents spewed forth onto the floor as I am sure I had such a widget and thought - “oh I’ll put that somewhere sensible as I might need it in 3 years time”.
Is it that thing where there's a band that's supposed to go around your wrist and you clip the other end to something metal so you don't cause a static spark or whatever that's supposed to prevent? I use that every single time I go in there, I have no idea if it's even remotely necessary, but I'm too scared not to because if I don't it may destroy my computer and/or kill me.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:15 PM   #45
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,004
Static discharge is still very dangerous to computer components. I use a static discharge mat when components are loose. Once the components are inside the box you can loosen up on the mat or strap if you are good about touching a metal component of the box prior to anything else.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:53 PM   #46
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
All that is missing is the one small widget that is required that I didn’t realise and then the house is looking like it’s been ransacked by the police, every cupboard and drawer open, contents spewed forth onto the floor as I am sure I had such a widget and thought - “oh I’ll put that somewhere sensible as I might need it in 3 years time”.
This seriously reminded me of dropping a drive jumper back in the day. It was easily one of the worst things (if you didn't have backups, which I never did because I'm irresponsible). Damn I hated those things.

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Static discharge is still very dangerous to computer components. I use a static discharge mat when components are loose. Once the components are inside the box you can loosen up on the mat or strap if you are good about touching a metal component of the box prior to anything else.
I use the bracelets if I have the PS plugged in, but if it's disconnected I just slap the metal sides a few times and call it good. I don't have any carpet in my basement, which helps a lot.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:09 PM   #47
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 59,744
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Static discharge is still very dangerous to computer components. I use a static discharge mat when components are loose. Once the components are inside the box you can loosen up on the mat or strap if you are good about touching a metal component of the box prior to anything else.
You are only reinforcing my terror. I'd honestly be more comfortable with "if you draw the sigils the wrong way the demon will eat you" than mess about with electricity. It's weird and magic and scary.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:14 PM   #48
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,704
Call it dumb luck (or more likely a humid environment), but I've been very casual about static discharge, and I've never damaged a component.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 09:59 AM   #49
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Call it dumb luck (or more likely a humid environment), but I've been very casual about static discharge, and I've never damaged a component.
Since I work on so many client computers I firmly live by the "better safe than sorry" aspect. Which I'm still not all that great at wearing them, but the cost of me paying for someone's stuff is a decently strong motivator.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:04 AM   #50
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,704
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Since I work on so many client computers I firmly live by the "better safe than sorry" aspect. Which I'm still not all that great at wearing them, but the cost of me paying for someone's stuff is a decently strong motivator.
I think that's wise, especially given your location. I've spent time just north of you (Saskatchewan), and it's a lot drier there than where I live now, nestled in among the Great Lakes.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 10:51 AM   #51
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I think that's wise, especially given your location. I've spent time just north of you (Saskatchewan), and it's a lot drier there than where I live now, nestled in among the Great Lakes.
Yeah, my house is even worse as far as being dry. Multiple PCs, TVs, a server, 3D printer, and the list goes on. The electronics can dry out a basement pretty quick. It does help for storing filament though!
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 11:53 AM   #52
GodMark2
Master Poster
 
GodMark2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,211
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You are only reinforcing my terror. I'd honestly be more comfortable with "if you draw the sigils the wrong way the demon will eat you" than mess about with electricity. It's weird and magic and scary.
You can feel a bit safer after this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Short answer: Yes, with an “if.” Long answer: No, with a “but.”

Though it never hurts to sacrifice a goat, just in case.
__________________
Knowing that we do not know, it does not necessarily follow that we can not know.
GodMark2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2021, 11:42 AM   #53
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,011
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I've had a creality ender 3 for about a yearish. I run octoprint on a raspberry pi. I have run it off my PC too using Cura (it's not my favorite but it works). They're a blast, but a ton of maintenance.
AnyCubic Mega Zero (v1 unfortunately, no heated bed. I've added a couple of heating elements to give a warm, not hot, bed as it's pretty cold in my house atm, but bed adhesion was a problem at first). I had an old Pi 3B sitting doing nothing so I threw Octoprint on it after reading your post. That's way cooler than swapping microSDs out constantly!
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:38 PM   #54
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
AnyCubic Mega Zero (v1 unfortunately, no heated bed. I've added a couple of heating elements to give a warm, not hot, bed as it's pretty cold in my house atm, but bed adhesion was a problem at first). I had an old Pi 3B sitting doing nothing so I threw Octoprint on it after reading your post. That's way cooler than swapping microSDs out constantly!
I like Octoprint, and I give Cura a hard time, but it works pretty well too. I collect baseball cards so I've been printing a few baseball card stands. I really want to move to resin for the comic characters.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:20 PM   #55
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,011
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I like Octoprint, and I give Cura a hard time, but it works pretty well too. I collect baseball cards so I've been printing a few baseball card stands. I really want to move to resin for the comic characters.
I'm really impressed by Octoprint, I picked up a cheap webcam too and now I'm no longer running up & down the stairs to keep an eye on my print. I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of prints I'm getting from such a cheap printer, I'm doing the 'credit card' Star Wars vehicle prints & some of them have the tiniest little tabs and sockets but...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210112_002358.jpg (40.7 KB, 13 views)
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:24 PM   #56
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,011
I've also invested the princely sum of £20 in a kit to convert it to auto/mesh leveling. I asked a question about it on Thingiverse and got some really helpful advice from the guy who maintains the opensource firmware builds on Github so as long as his patience holds I'm feeling pretty confident about the immediate future.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:32 PM   #57
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I've also invested the princely sum of £20 in a kit to convert it to auto/mesh leveling. I asked a question about it on Thingiverse and got some really helpful advice from the guy who maintains the opensource firmware builds on Github so as long as his patience holds I'm feeling pretty confident about the immediate future.
That's awesome! I had thought about getting an auto leveler but the Creality does pretty well in holding it in the same spot. I bought some upgraded springs for mine, and it made a bit of a difference.

Picking up the silent motherboard absolutely blew my mind. The loudest thing on my printer right now is the hotend fan. Which I'm printing a new twin fan setup to increase airflow. I'm hoping it quiets it down even more.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 09:01 AM   #58
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
I was lucky enough to pick up a shiny new Radeon 6800 this week, so barring an afternoon with a cable kit* and zip ties my new build is done.

*The Corsair cables are very inflexible for 3-5cm near the plugs, nice and strain resistant but horrible to look at
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:06 AM   #59
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I was lucky enough to pick up a shiny new Radeon 6800 this week, so barring an afternoon with a cable kit* and zip ties my new build is done.

*The Corsair cables are very inflexible for 3-5cm near the plugs, nice and strain resistant but horrible to look at
I'm still waiting. I haven't seen any get in stock but I think I might actually hold out for an ASUS ROG Strix RX 6800 XT since it has the watercooler attached. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but this build should last me a solid 5-6 years.

I agree, Corsair cables are tough. You'll have to let me know how the card does!
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 02:58 AM   #60
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
I contemplated the XT but mostly just wanted a Ray-tracing capable card to play Cyberpunk, I've been playing the tabletop game since the late 80's, most of my other games are not that demanding or new.

Now I'm going to wait another month or so until CP has a decent patch out.
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:10 AM   #61
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I contemplated the XT but mostly just wanted a Ray-tracing capable card to play Cyberpunk, I've been playing the tabletop game since the late 80's, most of my other games are not that demanding or new.

Now I'm going to wait another month or so until CP has a decent patch out.
I've heard it's struggling. I bought cyberpunk but didn't want to finish logging in until I got the new PC running.

Rumor is the 3080 has the 6800 beat, but the 6800 has a lot of room to grow. I'd just like to support another manufacturer in giving the Geforce market a run for their money.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #62
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I've heard it's struggling. I bought cyberpunk but didn't want to finish logging in until I got the new PC running.

Rumor is the 3080 has the 6800 beat, but the 6800 has a lot of room to grow. I'd just like to support another manufacturer in giving the Geforce market a run for their money.
Yeah but it mostly beats the 3070. Anyway I tend to go for a medium 'workhorse' build as it's easier on the budget, so it's not going to win any numbers contests but will be relevant for at least 4 years while allowing me to throw some upgrades at it if I want\need\can afford to.

One thing I did find out though was that they've let SMR HDD drives into the wild, some at surprisingly low sizes, so make sure you check the manufacturers website first. Luckily I got it from Amazon so I just played dumb and said it was broken
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 04:35 PM   #63
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Yeah but it mostly beats the 3070. Anyway I tend to go for a medium 'workhorse' build as it's easier on the budget, so it's not going to win any numbers contests but will be relevant for at least 4 years while allowing me to throw some upgrades at it if I want\need\can afford to.

One thing I did find out though was that they've let SMR HDD drives into the wild, some at surprisingly low sizes, so make sure you check the manufacturers website first. Luckily I got it from Amazon so I just played dumb and said it was broken
I'm looking forward to the new NVMe that I got. I've heard great things about the speeds, and durability. I will end up spending more than I want to, but I think I'll be pretty happy.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 01:42 AM   #64
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm looking forward to the new NVMe that I got. I've heard great things about the speeds, and durability. I will end up spending more than I want to, but I think I'll be pretty happy.
4th Gen NVMe is something I'm leaving till later, IMO the speed boosts will be unnoticeable without benchmarking until the game manufacturers\DirectX catch up to what the PS5 is doing.
Still it'll be fun when it foes get there
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 01:47 AM   #65
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,823
Quote:
ASUS TUF Gaming GT501 Case White
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R ARGB AIO CPU Cooler
Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Processor
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4
Phanteks Revolt Pro Full Modular Gold 850W Power Supply
Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4 M.2 NVMe SSD 2TB
On its way to me next week sadly, am still missing the 3080 so will need to keep hunting for one. Will ultimately be 2.5x as expensive as my previous 2013 build, but am hoping it will last me even longer. Though if I want to stay at 4K I'll probably need to update the GPU every generation.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 01:49 AM   #66
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,823
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Condolences. True suffering, indeed.
This did make me lol
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #67
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
On its way to me next week sadly, am still missing the 3080 so will need to keep hunting for one. Will ultimately be 2.5x as expensive as my previous 2013 build, but am hoping it will last me even longer. Though if I want to stay at 4K I'll probably need to update the GPU every generation.
Most of the articles I've been reading have put the best estimates for video cards at mid-to-late Feb and early March.

I don't really see me building a new rig for at least 5 years, at least not a full build. I had to settle on a lesser processor already, but I think the core parts (storage, PSU, Mobo, etc.) will hold out for a good, long while.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 11:15 PM   #68
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,823
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Most of the articles I've been reading have put the best estimates for video cards at mid-to-late Feb and early March.
Managed to pick up a higher-end 3080 for "only" $300AU more than RRP, which is better than many of the ridiculous markups I've been seeing lately. Can't wait!
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:18 AM   #69
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
Managed to pick up a higher-end 3080 for "only" $300AU more than RRP, which is better than many of the ridiculous markups I've been seeing lately. Can't wait!
I think part of the problem is that the only ones I do see pop up are the higher end in the range, the ones with "Overclock" somewhere in the gamer oriented name, copious unicorn barf and dual BIOS's for the full experience.
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 07:47 AM   #70
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
Managed to pick up a higher-end 3080 for "only" $300AU more than RRP, which is better than many of the ridiculous markups I've been seeing lately. Can't wait!
That's not too bad, and worth the price to not have to wait. I recently made up my mind for absolutely sure that I'm waiting for that ASUS I linked! So I'm not sure when they'll be in stock, but I'll get over it. It'll be worth it when everything comes together.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #71
jnelso99
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 916
Looks like if you're still waiting to get parts for a new system, you're pretty much S.O.L. until covid is under control, and even then it may be pricey due to tariffs that kicked in at the start of the year:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Might as well just wait until next year.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:01 AM   #72
Sceptic-PK
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,823
Finally got to set the system up properly along with the new TV. Couldn’t be happier with the purchases. 2160p with max settings at around 70fps, and the picture quality on the CX OLEDs is amazing. TVs have come a long way since my last build!

Am having issues trying to overclock the GPU, but I’m sure I’ll figure that out in due course. The 3080 is boosting well above advertised levels so I don’t think an extra 60Mhz would make much difference.

Logitech’s wireless mouse is also easily the best I’ve encountered. Worth every penny.

Hopefully Cyberpunk is worth playing soon as that was meant to be the point of this build

Last edited by Sceptic-PK; 2nd February 2021 at 05:02 AM.
Sceptic-PK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 08:52 AM   #73
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Looks like if you're still waiting to get parts for a new system, you're pretty much S.O.L. until covid is under control, and even then it may be pricey due to tariffs that kicked in at the start of the year:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Might as well just wait until next year.
I actually was lucky enough to get the processor I wanted from Micro Center now without much of a hassle. I was pretty impressed. I'm stilling holding out for a higher end video card, but got a 1050 to keep me by until the 6800's are readily available.

I even noticed the scalpers prices on ebay started going down. The Ryzen 5 5600x was in the $400-500 range a few weeks ago. Checked today and I see several for $30-40 markups over the $299 retail.

Originally Posted by Sceptic-PK View Post
Finally got to set the system up properly along with the new TV. Couldn’t be happier with the purchases.
Congrats sir! It's always fun to have everything put together. I got my rig assembled with my "get me by" parts. The processor should be here tomorrow, which will be a quick swap out. Now it's just patiently waiting for the video card.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:11 PM   #74
CORed
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 10,144
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's what I try, but it never works out.

The Start: a completely clean (scrubbed clean, even!) large table with nothing but components on it, all neatly laid out in order, all necessary tools and supplies ready to hand, instructions and checklists neatly clipboarded and ready to follow. Surgeries are less neatly planned.

Midway: I'm sobbing in panic, thermal paste smeared on my hands, shirt, and forehead. I've managed to cut myself and get blood drops on the motherboard. Screws are lost somewhere on the floor, I find one when I step on it and it goes into my instep. I dropped the video card at one point and heard a cracking noise but can't tell what it was. Possibly my own spine. There's a weird bit sticking up that is blocking a component from going in, and I can't tell what that bit is--should I force it? Could I just snap it off? I can't see properly through the tears.

The End: The last cable shoved anyhow into the case, "I'll neaten that up later," I say, and conclude "it's good enough for now!" and vow that next time, it'll be different.
That's pretty much how projects go for me, whether it's building a computer (which I haven't done in more than 20 years), or repairing my car or something in my home. My most recent project was replacing a water heater. I did a decent job, but involved three or four trips to the big box store, and one deep (2nd or 3rd degree) but small area burn on my finger from cleverly touching a piece of pipe too soon after soldering it. I've still got tools and left over pipe fittings scattered in the basement.

ETA: I forgot perhaps the most boneheaded move on the water heater project (or at least tied with burning my finger). I cut into a water pipe under pressure. Of course the new water heater was about two inches taller than the old, necessitating that three or four vertical sections of pipe be cut down and resoldered. I somehow failed to observer that one of these sections was upstream of the valve on the inlet side of the water heater, until, as i was cutting into it, a small jet of water under pressure started spraying out. Fortunately, this happened only about three feet from the main shutoff valve, so I was able to recover from that error without filling my entire basement with water (only a few ounces of water on the floor).

Last edited by CORed; 4th February 2021 at 02:25 PM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 11:27 AM   #75
crescent
Illuminator
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,026
Jumping in on this: Overclocking?

My son and I are going to start to put together a gaming/video editing computer. Nothing terribly high performing, the idea is to start out with a pretty bare bones system which we can improve over time. Virtually anything we get will be higher performing than what we have now.

So, a good motherboard with DDR4 ram. We'll start with 16 gb Ram, but can add more later. We'll start with the Intel built-in graphic processor (on the i5 10600 GPU), we can add a graphics card later after the covid and virtual currency issues resolve to free up supply. We'll use an older HDD, eventually upgrade to a new HDD and then add an SDD.

He mostly captures video from the Nintendo, which he edits and overlays with music for his YT channel. Also does Minecraft on the PC with screen captures for the same. But right now video quality is pretty limited with our current system, and it would be nice to be able to add some decent PC games to the mix, even if at just 1920x1080p with 60fps.

But as for the motherboard/CPU combination, I am unclear as to whether or not we should go for a setup that can be overclocked. Obviously, such a system can support higher performance - but how many people actually do that?

If we get a motherboard and chip that support overclocking but don't set them up to actually overclock, does it (i5-10600k) still act just like a regular (i5 10600) chip, still have the built-in "turbo boost" function? Does it still draw the same power? Would the "k" chip and supporting motherboard be worth getting now for when our skills and knowledge base have improved in the next year or two?

What thinkith the ISF hivemind?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 11:39 AM   #76
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,804
I've overclocked my processor a few times but overall I generally don't find my CPU to be a bottleneck. Most of the time I run into my vid card being the issue.

Nowadays, though, it's extremely easy to do and a lot of the newer motherboards come with a few overclock settings built in (if I remember right).

As far as the stats, if it's not overclocked it'll run at whatever the base settings are for that chip. It looks like that one is a 4.1 Ghz, and I'd be surprised with what you're using it for, if you would need to overclock it. That's a pretty decent CPU for minecraft and Nintendo stuff. You'll definitely hit your limits with the onboard graphics\HDD before you will the CPU.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 11:48 AM   #77
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,004
NVMe is more important than overclocking IMO. My last build is a few years old now, guessing that NVMe support is fairly common on motherboards these days?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 11:53 AM   #78
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,704
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Jumping in on this: Overclocking?

My son and I are going to start to put together a gaming/video editing computer. Nothing terribly high performing, the idea is to start out with a pretty bare bones system which we can improve over time. Virtually anything we get will be higher performing than what we have now.

So, a good motherboard with DDR4 ram. We'll start with 16 gb Ram, but can add more later. We'll start with the Intel built-in graphic processor (on the i5 10600 GPU), we can add a graphics card later after the covid and virtual currency issues resolve to free up supply. We'll use an older HDD, eventually upgrade to a new HDD and then add an SDD.

He mostly captures video from the Nintendo, which he edits and overlays with music for his YT channel. Also does Minecraft on the PC with screen captures for the same. But right now video quality is pretty limited with our current system, and it would be nice to be able to add some decent PC games to the mix, even if at just 1920x1080p with 60fps.

But as for the motherboard/CPU combination, I am unclear as to whether or not we should go for a setup that can be overclocked. Obviously, such a system can support higher performance - but how many people actually do that?

If we get a motherboard and chip that support overclocking but don't set them up to actually overclock, does it (i5-10600k) still act just like a regular (i5 10600) chip, still have the built-in "turbo boost" function? Does it still draw the same power? Would the "k" chip and supporting motherboard be worth getting now for when our skills and knowledge base have improved in the next year or two?

What thinkith the ISF hivemind?
I never overclock because I put a premium on building a stable, durable, cool system rather than risking that for an incremental speed increase. My builds usually idle around 30 degrees Celsius, and they run fine until they're very obsolete. That's what I like, but that's not the priority for everyone. Some hobbyists like the challenge of overclocking. Keep in mind that there is risk of damaging your hardware, and it's very possible you wouldn't even notice a speed difference.

If you think you might want to overclock, though, just get the K. You don't have to do anything special with it, and it'll just cost a bit more. It'll leave you the option of playing around later if you want.

It sounds like you'd be better off putting your money into a good GPU, but good luck with that during the current hardware crisis.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 01:46 PM   #79
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps
 
Mongrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK, suburbia. 20 minutes in the future
Posts: 2,056
I'd add...
Look at the AMD processors. They're all capable of overclocking, as long as you don't buy the bottom tier motherboards, and their multi-core performance is far better than Intel right now which seems a better fit from your use description.

Just look out for the G suffix if you're after onboard graphics.
__________________
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2021, 02:12 PM   #80
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,011
My current system, a budget but capable reconditioned gaming rig came with an i5 chip 3.4G overclocked to 3.6G. Perfectly stable, no problems and ran Jedi Fallen Order acceptably despite being under spec. I've upgraded to an i7-3770k in it now as it's the fastest chip available for the mobo socket, 3.4G but hyperthreaded soI haven't needed to overclock yet, however it's theroretically capable of 4.1G. I probably end up overclocking, not yet as CIRI gives me a 99% rating (the other 1% is probably Linux only) but when I need it I'll probably overclock to about 3.8G...

Or tldr: Yes.
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.