IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th February 2021, 10:56 PM   #1
Dude111
Critical Thinker

12 Things You didnt realise You Could Do With Your iPad

http://www.businessinsider.com/12-th...ur-ipad-2013-5

I dont have one but figured you guys would be interested
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:41 AM   #2
plague311
Great minds think...

I didn't read it, but if 1-12 aren't "sell it for money" then they're doing it wrong.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:45 AM   #3
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay dude this isn't your blog or your clickbait site. You're starting a few too many of these threads.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:46 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I didn't read it, but if 1-12 aren't "sell it for money" then they're doing it wrong.
Why?

They are by far the best tablets out there.

Android sadly on tablets still needs a hell of a lot of work, even if Samsung’s best like the S7 series can beat iPads on some technical aspects not at all on the user experience.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:48 AM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Why?

Sure, okay. 1/3 the features at twice the cost.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:48 AM   #6
plague311
Great minds think...

Why?

I realized in hindsight that my snark wasn't correctly relayed. I have fat fingers, and big hands because I'm a fat, big guy lol. Tablets in general are a ******* disaster for me. It's like a cat with mittens.

Android sadly on tablets still needs a hell of a lot of work, even if Samsung’s best like the S7 series can beat iPads on some technical aspects not at all on the user experience.
Absolutely zero arguments with you here. I had the briefest of experiences with Samsung tablets, and a few lesser android tablets, and they are absolute trash. I think that's prone to happen more with android though, given that they're open source. Lots of lesser manufacturers will piece them together using that OS.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sure, okay. 1/3 the features at twice the cost.
Not true for the tablets.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:56 AM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Heh, the last one is read comic books. That's the whole reason I bought my tablet 6 years go.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 01:58 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Heh, the last one is read comic books. That's the whole reason I bought my tablet 6 years go.
I still buy the prints. I love flipping through the pages. Dunno, nostalgic that way I guess.

Old 18th February 2021, 08:04 PM   #10
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue
Okay dude this isn't your blog or your clickbait site. You're starting a few too many of these threads.

Im sorry buddy,I thought you guys would benefit
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 08:07 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Im sorry buddy,I thought you guys would benefit
Dude seriously, lay off for a an hour or two. Get some sleep.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 03:16 AM   #12
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Mine was for the RPG books I've accumulated through a couple of bundle sites
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 04:32 AM   #13
Wudang
BOFH

Well since the first 1 are basically saying it can work as a network device I stopped reading. Amatuerish clickbait.
Old 19th February 2021, 09:39 AM   #14
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Well since the first 1 are basically saying it can work as a network device I stopped reading. Amatuerish clickbait.
Hahaha it would be the most expensive, useless network device ever, imo. What are raspberry pi's today? US$100 or less?

Old 19th February 2021, 10:40 AM   #15
Wudang
BOFH

Hahaha it would be the most expensive, useless network device ever, imo. What are raspberry pi's today? US$100 or less?

Yeah not the word I wanted. 1st is you can access your VPN (what sorcery is this?) and 2nd was you do a WOL to your PC (wisdom wot man was not meant to know).

I have a nice keyboard for mine and a linux-type shell so makes a superportable mini laptop. Handy for travel.
Old 19th February 2021, 10:47 AM   #16
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Why?

Disagree. Have the cheapest Samsung (A) and it’s brilliant. Easily as good as the iPad I had access to in work. Have no idea what user experience difficulties you had - couldn’t be easier and love the ability to add storage.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 11:15 AM   #17
catsmate
No longer the 1

Why?

Blasphemy!!!
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 11:23 AM   #18
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The cheapest iPad is 329 dollars.

I could buy two, maybe even three if I shop around, Android Tablets for that price that can do everything you could possibly do on a tablet. Four if count Amazon Fire Tablets as Android Tablets.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me an iPad does anything better than Android. You aren't going to convince me they do it 2-4 times better.
Old 19th February 2021, 12:01 PM   #19
Yalius
Muse

I've really liked all my iPads... but then again, I didn't have to pay for any of them. Over the last 9 years, my work has updated us to new iPads every year or so. I'm not an "Apple über alles" sort of guy but I've been more satisfied with my iPads than with the couple of Samsung tablets I've owned. Just to add a new detail I really like, the last 2 iPad Pros we've received use USB-C instead of Lightning connectors.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 12:12 PM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
I've really liked all my iPads... but then again, I didn't have to pay for any of them. Over the last 9 years, my work has updated us to new iPads every year or so. I'm not an "Apple über alles" sort of guy but I've been more satisfied with my iPads than with the couple of Samsung tablets I've owned. Just to add a new detail I really like, the last 2 iPad Pros we've received use USB-C instead of Lightning connectors.
I'd say it boils down to the age old battle of Android vs. Apple that always happens. iPads are great for people that want a hands off device. iPads are sandboxed and their apps continuously tested and monitored from Apple. They do what they do pretty well.

Android generally leans more "techie" type. Open source, can wipe them and change flavors of OS, and so on. People that use each are usually pretty committed.

Old 19th February 2021, 12:18 PM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I still buy the prints. I love flipping through the pages. Dunno, nostalgic that way I guess.
I miss them, but these days they're almost impossible to find. When I was growing up there were four stores that carried comics within two miles of my house (in suburbia). Now I live in a big city and the nearest comic book store is 8 miles away.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 12:34 PM   #22
Yalius
Muse

I'd say it boils down to the age old battle of Android vs. Apple that always happens. iPads are great for people that want a hands off device. iPads are sandboxed and their apps continuously tested and monitored from Apple. They do what they do pretty well.

Android generally leans more "techie" type. Open source, can wipe them and change flavors of OS, and so on. People that use each are usually pretty committed.
Probably the exception that proves the rule here. Prefer iPads, I work as a network and PC tech for an ISP.
Yalius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2021, 07:29 PM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

I miss them, but these days they're almost impossible to find. When I was growing up there were four stores that carried comics within two miles of my house (in suburbia). Now I live in a big city and the nearest comic book store is 8 miles away.
My local comic shop is about 2 miles from my house and they put my comics aside. I come in every 2-3 weeks and pick up my stack. I probably wouldn't if I had to deal with a hassle though.

Originally Posted by Yalius View Post
Probably the exception that proves the rule here. Prefer iPads, I work as a network and PC tech for an ISP.
Curious. What is it you like more than other devices?

Old 19th February 2021, 09:24 PM   #24
Yalius
Muse

Curious. What is it you like more than other devices?
Stability and performance. I use them mostly for work accessing a web-based facilities management system to track tickets, orders, and CPE faults. Time to boot, open apps, search emails, navigate the GUI, all phenomenally faster and with fewer crashes than the other options we’re offered, a choice of either Galaxy 10 or some variety of Chromebook. And the network performance on the 2018 and later Pros is jaw-dropping. They seem to aggregate multiple network connections automatically. I’ve had it linked to a WiFi connection and plugged in a USB-C Gb Ethernet adapter and hit an aggregate 1.4Gb of useable bandwidth when offloading video, I’m talking dropping a 4 gigabyte 4K video onto the server in less than 30 seconds. They just seem more capable and reliable than the other options we can use in the field.
Old 20th February 2021, 04:30 AM   #25
catsmate
No longer the 1

Cat sitting pad.

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Mine was for the RPG books I've accumulated through a couple of bundle sites
Yeah, we run our games by tablet. I provide "handouts" onto them, have a database the PCs can use et cetera.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 09:48 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

…snip…

Apple v any-non-apple-technology - the Apple fans love being victims!

Seriously because of what I do to occasionally make a living I’ve always got a range of technology on hand.

The tablets I use are my 2020 iPad Pro, Tab S7+, Tab S2 8” oh and my Kindle Paperwhite.

The S7+ is the best Android tablet I’ve ever used or had, the screen is simply gorgeous, lightning fast and very responsive. However in day to day use it simply isn’t as good as the iPad Pro, it starts with the gesture controls not being as fluid and responsive on the S7+, then of course the old bugbear of android on a tablet - apps simply don’t scale as well often they merely zoom up the phone UI.

But for my personal use it’s the stylus that pushes the iPad into a different league, the stylus comes free with the S7+ and it is crap compared to the -its-not-a-stylus-because-god-said-we’d-never-have-one “pencil” on the iPad.

I upgraded my Android tablet to the S7+ mainly because of the on paper huge improvement with the stylus and digitiser - response time etc. because I’ve started using the iPad for creating artwork I wanted something in the Android world. But despite on paper being the equal it really isn’t, you don’t get the same control or response. (Then of course there is the lack of art apps for Android tablets.)

Now if only Samsung would produce a Tab S2 eight inch replacement, it’s the perfect size for watching stuff, and games.

Last edited by Darat; 20th February 2021 at 09:49 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet