IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Duncan Hunter , politics scandals , republicans

Old 4th December 2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Rep. Duncan Hunter Pleads Guilty

To charges of misusing campaign funds. He was an early and fervent Trump supporter. This case has been going on for a couple of years.
I'm sure there are many articles about it, but you can't beat this one:
Congressman Pleads Guilty to Using Campaign Funds for Rabbit Travel
Old 4th December 2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A lying crook who misuses campaign funds and a (likely serial) adulterer who cries witch hunt when he gets caught? For a minute there, I thought they were talking about Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 11:05 AM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Is the guy still in Congress?

I mean, a couple of months ago there was a democratic congressperson who resigned because she apparently had an affair with someone on her staff. Was never charged with anything, but pressured to resign.

Duncan Hunter admits to being guilty. In congress or not?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 11:09 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The criminal made one but fatal mistake: not to have himself elected President.
Old 4th December 2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

I mean, a couple of months ago there was a democratic congressperson who resigned because she apparently had an affair with someone on her staff. Was never charged with anything, but pressured to resign.

Yes, he is still in Congress. He was re-elected even though he had already been charged.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 03:00 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post

Still in. Removal for a criminal conviction is not automatic.
A few years ago, he would have pretty much been told by the GOP House leadership it's time to go, but nowdays he will probably stay on.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Still in. Removal for a criminal conviction is not automatic.
A few years ago, he would have pretty much been told by the GOP House leadership it's time to go, but nowdays he will probably stay on.
Care to make a bet on that?
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 04:16 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just read that apparently the GOP House leadership has given Hunter notice they expect him to resign. I was wrong about that. Guess having a convicted felon is too much even for the GOP ..to my surprise, given what the GOP Has become.
Now if they can get Steve King, the other disgrace, to quit....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 04:30 PM   #9
Lurch
Master Poster

Unless sane conservatives can be seated, right now I'm content enough for the criminals and crazies to remain in place on the R side of the House. Makes the need for a casting out of that bunch of treasonous villains all the more pressing.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 04:46 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Which is why the Democratic response was to say why they felt he shold resign, there were in no hurry to expel Hunter. Longer he stays in office, the worse it looks for Republicans.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th December 2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now if they can get Steve King, the other disgrace, to quit....
Insanity, stupidity, and ignorance are not felonies. And don't forget Louie Gohmert.
Old 4th December 2019, 05:08 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Dang, I was confused. I was thinking it was Hunter who was part-owner of a winery that owned a yacht on which there were parties with cocaine and hookers. Turns out that was Devin Nunes.
In the you-can't-make-this-stuff-up department, the yacht was called "AlphaOmega". How VERY Christian of them!
Old 4th December 2019, 07:30 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hunter was one of the first two Congressmen to endorse Trump.. the other one was Rep Chris Collins

Oh dear: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/n...-congress.html

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hunter was one of the first two Congressmen to endorse Trump.. the other one was Rep Chris Collins

Oh dear: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/n...-congress.html
Kindred spirits.
Old 5th December 2019, 08:40 AM   #15
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Kindred spirits.
A story in three acts:

1. Trump's first congressional endorsements
  2. Congressmen re-elected despite indictments
  3. Collins and Hunter resign & plead guilty

It's been a helluva ride. Wonder what the bearer of Trump's first Senate endorsement is up to these days.
Old 5th December 2019, 08:50 AM   #16
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

It's been a helluva ride.
Yep, absolutely hare-raising.
Old 5th December 2019, 03:00 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Right now The GOP house leadership is pretty much doing a version of the old routine of a disgraced army officer being left alone in a room with a bottle of brandy and a loaded pistol; if Hunter does not take the hint others measures will be taken.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:58 AM   #18
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And he resigned

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califor...ns-2019-12-06/
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 08:17 AM   #19
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Popehat (Ken White) explaining the guilty plea. Seems that Hunter is getting a pretty sweet deal, which Ken finds pretty unusual. It's possible that the judge could reject the prosecutor's recommended sentencing, but the very generous recommendation from the prosecution is strange.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1201943744586506240
Old 9th December 2019, 09:33 AM   #20
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Popehat (Ken White) explaining the guilty plea. Seems that Hunter is getting a pretty sweet deal, which Ken finds pretty unusual. It's possible that the judge could reject the prosecutor's recommended sentencing, but the very generous recommendation from the prosecution is strange.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1201943744586506240
I suspect the key is that he resigns from Congress, and given that, it's water under the bridge.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:50 AM   #21
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone want to take bets as to whether Trump pardons him?

Being an early Trump supporter you would think Trump would have some loyalty to him, but since loyalty is a one way street with Trump, and there's no real benefit for him, I suspect a pardon would not be forthcoming.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:07 AM   #22
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
A story in three acts:

1. Trump's first congressional endorsements
  2. Congressmen re-elected despite indictments
  3. Collins and Hunter resign & plead guilty

It's been a helluva ride. Wonder what the bearer of Trump's first Senate endorsement is up to these days.
Maybe that was Ttump's plan to drain the swamp all along: get the most despicable people to support you, and then get them exposed and 'retired'.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:25 AM   #23
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Anyone want to take bets as to whether Trump pardons him?

Being an early Trump supporter you would think Trump would have some loyalty to him, but since loyalty is a one way street with Trump, and there's no real benefit for him, I suspect a pardon would not be forthcoming.
Can't imagine Trump pardoning him, or any of the other locked up lackeys, when doing so could damage him.

Maybe Trump will issue a bunch of pardon orders if he's a lame duck president after the election, since it won't really hurt him in any way. But then again, Trump might not even care enough to do it. These people have served their purpose, there's no reason he wouldn't just let them rot in jail.
Old 9th December 2019, 10:30 AM   #24
Belz...
Fiend God

Can't imagine Trump pardoning him, or any of the other locked up lackeys, when doing so could damage him.
I'm not sure he knows what's damaging to him anymore.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:35 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
To be fair really nothing has been in a long time.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:38 AM   #26
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Seemingly nothing is
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 10:40 AM   #27
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Maybe Trump will issue a bunch of pardon orders if he's a lame duck president after the election, since it won't really hurt him in any way. But then again, Trump might not even care enough to do it. These people have served their purpose, there's no reason he wouldn't just let them rot in jail.
Though his fingers are tiny Trump still wouldn't lift one to save anybody else unless there was something in it for him.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:58 AM   #28
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The criminal made one but fatal mistake: not to have himself elected President.
Maybe two. He should have boiled the bunny and eaten it.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics