IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags conservatives , CSNY , jimi hendrix , republicans , Woodstock

Old 13th August 2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Cicero
Banned

" The Conservative Republican Who Saved Woodstock"

With the upcoming 40th anniversary of Woodstock, I wonder if the lsm will mention that Max Yasgar, the man who made the event possible, was a conservative?

In August of 1969, my 49-year-old conservative, Republican, pro-war businessman father invited tens of thousands of his hippie friends to our farm in the tiny hamlet of Bethel, ninety miles distant from the village of Woodstock.

"In describing my father, I emphasized the word conservative because it had a much different meaning to him than it does to so many people now. To him, being a conservative meant defending the rights of others to be heard even if they expounded ideas with which he did not agree. He believed that if he wanted to be heard he had to be willing to listen. A very rare notion today."

http://www.intellectualconservative....ved-woodstock/
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

The Yasgars of the world are being shouted down by the Boehners and the fat deaf pill-popping eunuch and the DirtTea Baggers.
leftysergeant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
GreNME
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
With the upcoming 40th anniversary of Woodstock, I wonder if the lsm will mention that Max Yasgar, the man who made the event possible, was a conservative?
Did you even read the quote you used?

"In describing my father, I emphasized the word conservative because it had a much different meaning to him than it does to so many people now. To him, being a conservative meant defending the rights of others to be heard even if they expounded ideas with which he did not agree. He believed that if he wanted to be heard he had to be willing to listen. A very rare notion today."
That's the same definition (and opinion of modern conservatism) that I held to. Political ideology aside, it's a damned shame more of this doesn't take place today, even in this subforum.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 06:51 PM   #4
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by GreNME View Post
Did you even read the quote you used?
Are you just grazing with this question or did you actually have anything substantive to say?

Quote:
That's the same definition (and opinion of modern conservatism) that I held to. Political ideology aside, it's a damned shame more of this doesn't take place today, even in this subforum.
You mean leftysergeant's post wasn't an example of Yasgarism?
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
GreNME
Philosopher

Are you just grazing with this question or did you actually have anything substantive to say?
I said it in the next part of my post.

You mean leftysergeant's post wasn't an example of Yasgarism?
Nope, and neither are yours.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by GreNME View Post
I said it in the next part of my post.

Nope, and neither are yours.
Since neither are yours, I guess it's a trifecta.
Old 13th August 2009, 08:41 PM   #7
SezMe
post-pre-born

AAH in ...3.....2.....1
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Tricky
Briefly immortal

That is definitely not what conservatism means today. Indeed, it is not a particular tenet of either party. But with the conservatives shouting down speakers at town halls these days, it makes it quite clear that Max Yasger wouldn't have been associated with their type of "conservatism". Indeed it is sad that what could have been a lasting monument to "compassionate conservatism" is drowned out by the shouts of today's partisans. If they had had their way, I doubt Woodstock would have occurred.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2009, 08:50 AM   #9
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
That is definitely not what conservatism means today. Indeed, it is not a particular tenet of either party. But with the conservatives shouting down speakers at town halls these days, it makes it quite clear that Max Yasger wouldn't have been associated with their type of "conservatism". Indeed it is sad that what could have been a lasting monument to "compassionate conservatism" is drowned out by the shouts of today's partisans. If they had had their way, I doubt Woodstock would have occurred.
The hilited portion is a fair assessment, but what do protesters at health care town hall meetings have to do with open air rock concerts and why would they want to prevent the Woodstock Festival from occurring?
Old 16th August 2009, 02:01 AM   #10
dafydd
Banned

Here is Max himself onstage at Woodstock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R4yv63TaAI
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts