IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2012 elections , Bobby Jindal , Louisiana incidents , Louisiana politics , republicans

Old 1st September 2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Gov. Jindal uses taxpayer money for helicopter rides to church.

This probably doesn't bode well for running as a fiscal conservative in 2012:

Quote:
Governor’s Sunday helicopter travels have come at taxpayers’ expense
By MICHELLE MILLHOLLON
The Advocate
Published: Aug 30, 2009

In May, June and July, there was rarely a Sunday when the governor didn’t board a taxpayer-funded helicopter to attend church services in far-flung parts of the state. He traveled by helicopter to churches less frequently in March and April. Over five months, Jindal took more than three dozen helicopter trips. Fourteen were to attend church services, according to state records. ...

At least two aides usually accompanied him along with his security detail and State Police pilots. The public pays their salaries as well as the fuel and upkeep for the helicopter.

The helicopter that the governor uses the most costs $1,200 an hour to operate — about $45,000 for five months of church visits.
Full: The Advocate
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
madurobob
Philosopher

Well, unless he is going to church to pray for fiscal guidance...
Old 1st September 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Of course a state governor should travel around the state, meeting with the various interest groups in his constituency. Except if they're religious groups, though. And especially not if he also participates in their religious ceremonies while he visits with them.

Now, if he'd been traveling from college to college within the state, meeting with students and faculty and attending classes with them...
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 09:30 AM   #4
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Of course a state governor should travel around the state, meeting with the various interest groups in his constituency. Except if they're religious groups, though. And especially not if he also participates in their religious ceremonies while he visits with them.
Well, I think as governor his contingency should be every citizen. But, I wonder just how much damage is done to his political career by pandering to the religious in Louisiana. My guess is "not much", but I'd love to be wrong.

I imagine if he was traveling to debate creationists it'd be another story.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Skeptic
Banned

"In a shocking development, it was revealed the the governor had been spending his Sundays meeting with communities of citizens all over the state"... er, I don't get it. What better use can he have for his Sundays, or for the governor's helicopter, for that matter?

Last edited by Skeptic; 1st September 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Cavemonster
Philosopher

What if he had set off once a week, every week for 6 months to meet with stamp collectors and only stamp collectors at their stamp collector clubhouses.

Wouldn't that be an odd way to spend so much money?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2009, 09:49 AM   #7
madurobob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
"In a shocking development, it was revealed the the governor had been spending his Sundays meeting with communities of citizens all over the state"... er, I don't get it. What better use can he have for his Sundays, or for the governor's helicopter, for that matter?
Just to be provocative - I suppose the same could be said if he was visiting KKK meetings all around the state. (I know, its a bad analogy and I don't intend to equate churches with the KKK).

Anyway, he was only visiting Christian churches. So, an argument could be made that he was specifically excluding a broad swath of the citizenry from access to their governor; or at least he was giving a specific demographic special access. I agree its a weak argument, but in politics appearance is everything.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Questioninggeller
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Now, if he'd been traveling from college to college within the state, meeting with students and faculty and attending classes with them...
Did you read the article?

He is only going to Christian churches, where if he speaks, its about himself and Jesus. He refuses to tell the media where he is speaking, despite it costing tens of thousands of dollars to the tax payers. He is mainly visiting northern Louisiana Baptist churches (many of which aren't fans of Catholics) to assure them about his faith (Catholicism). Especially since Democrats have been airing commericals with Jindal's statements questioning the morality of Baptists.

Why should tax payers pay for Jindal to go to church when Jindal refused funds for unemployment coverage due to fears on taxes later on. Shouldn't he sensitive on spending tax money for things that are less important that unemployment? (Yes, flying by helicopter to church is less important than the unemployed people in his state.)

Last edited by Questioninggeller; 1st September 2009 at 10:53 AM.
Questioninggeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events