IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2010 elections , birther movement , California politics , gop , Orly Taitz , republicans , Tea Party movement

Old 8th June 2010, 09:25 PM   #1
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Talking ZOMG... "Birther" Orly Taitz is Running for Office

Wow, even a bunch of Tea Party activists are running like hell from her...

GOP bad dream: Birther on ticket
Quote:
California Republicans optimistic about their prospects in November could find themselves with a bit of a problem after the votes are counted in Tuesday’s primaries — a statewide ticket with the so-called “Birther Queen” as one of their candidates.

Orly Taitz is an Israeli émigré who has spent the past two years filing lawsuits challenging President Barack Obama’s right to be president on the grounds that he was born in Kenya. In the process, she has earned herself $20,000 in court fines.

Now she’s running for the GOP nomination for secretary of state, and with her establishment-backed primary opponent mounting a less-than-stellar campaign against her, operatives say there’s a chance she could win.

“It’d be a disaster for the Republican party,” says James Lacy, a conservative GOP operative in the state. “Can you imagine if [gubernatorial candidate] Meg Whitman and [candidate for Lt. Gov.] Abel Maldonado — both of whom might have a chance to win in November — had to run with Orly Taitz as secretary of state, who would make her cockamamie issues about Obama’s birth certificate problems at the forefront of her activities?” ...
I feel bad for the Republicans in CA, having to potentially deal with this nutbag on their ticket. Oh well, it should be quite entertaining.

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 8th June 2010 at 09:26 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Just what the GOP needs. More fringe maniacs to make their party look even more bonkers.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:45 PM   #3
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Well, as the saying goes, when you sleep with the dogs, you shouldn't complain when you pick up some fleas. This is what the GOP gets for pushing ever further to the right post-2008.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:06 PM   #4
DC
Banned

DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 01:12 AM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Hate to ruin the party, but Orly crashed and burned.

Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina have nothing to worry about.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 04:26 AM   #6
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

Yeah, you also thought at one time adding Palin to the ticket would win the election for McCain.

That being said, I can't imagine many are taking her seriously. What are you basing your "crashed and burned" evaluation on?
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 07:01 AM   #7
GreNME
Philosopher

Considering Orly isn't running against either of those two people you mention, could you explain what your non-sequitur statement has to do with the price of tea in China? Or perhaps be a tiny bit more verbose so as to not make a confusing statement?

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Lisa Simpson

She did get trounced but still managed to garner 365,684 votes. Which just shows there are at least 365,684 very stupid Californians.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Thunder
Banned

I love Birthers and Tea-Baggers. They are the Democrats dream come true.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 12:10 PM   #10
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GreNME View Post
Considering Orly isn't running against either of those two people you mention, could you explain what your non-sequitur statement has to do with the price of tea in China? Or perhaps be a tiny bit more verbose so as to not make a confusing statement?
Orly lost. From the OP:

Quote:
I feel bad for the Republicans in CA, having to potentially deal with this nutbag on their ticket.
And later, Mattus added:

Quote:
Well, as the saying goes, when you sleep with the dogs, you shouldn't complain when you pick up some fleas. This is what the GOP gets for pushing ever further to the right post-2008.
Two of the Republicans in CA running this year are Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina. So my point was that Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina do not have to deal with this nutbag on their ticket, that they will not pick up fleas from Orly.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 01:33 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed, alhtough I thing that Carly is going to have enough problems of her own. The real problem is she has a personality like shredded glass, and all the horror stories about her at Hewett Packard are going to give Boxer some real ammunition. IMHO Campbell would have been a much better choice for the GOP in the general election.
Whitman has a very good chance of becoming Governor..although IMHO she will do no better in cleaning up the mess in California then Arnie has.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 01:51 PM   #12
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Agreed, alhtough I thing that Carly is going to have enough problems of her own. The real problem is she has a personality like shredded glass, and all the horror stories about her at Hewett Packard are going to give Boxer some real ammunition. IMHO Campbell would have been a much better choice for the GOP in the general election.
Whitman has a very good chance of becoming Governor..although IMHO she will do no better in cleaning up the mess in California then Arnie has.
Even without the inside stories, Carly’s time as HP CEO was disastrous for the company. Whitman certainly has better credentials, but the fact remains that California’s budgeting system is unworkable.
Old 9th June 2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Jekyll's Guest
Master Poster

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Even without the inside stories, Carly’s time as HP CEO was disastrous for the company. Whitman certainly has better credentials, but the fact remains that California’s budgeting system is unworkable.
Apologies to any Californians here, but that state is like a 5 year old.

It keeps demanding services, but when tax rises are brought up it holds it's breath till it turns blue.

They owe what now, a bajjilion-zillion dollars? When it becomes so high that M.I.T. grads don't have a name for it, is that like being in the black?
Jekyll's Guest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 04:44 PM   #14
GreNME
Philosopher

Orly lost. From the OP:

And later, Mattus added:

Two of the Republicans in CA running this year are Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina. So my point was that Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina do not have to deal with this nutbag on their ticket, that they will not pick up fleas from Orly.
And I still think you're reaching to cover your non-sequitur. Unless you're asserting that the same offices being pursued by Whitman and Fiorina would necessitate Taitz for them to be elected, then what you're saying still doesn't make sense. As to MattusMaximus' quote, nutbars running for office "is what the GOP gets" for appealing to the nutbar fringe, which pretty clearly is talking about "the GOP" and not just the two female GOP candidates in California you referenced.

So I'm not claiming that your statements lack all logic, but I am saying that the logic you are applying seems to be picking bits and pieces from what others have written and pretty much ignored what those posters were actually saying, hence my calling it a non-sequitur. Now that you've clarified yourself it's fairly clear that you're having a different conversation though, so at least we've accomplished that much for the sake of communication.

The kind of pacifism I endorse is brought about by eliminating one enemy combatant at a time.-- JoeyDonuts
GreNME is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 04:51 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I am amazed the Tom Campbell did not go after Carly on the HP/Compaq merge,which was a huge fiasco. In fact, Carly's reputation as a CEO has never recovered from it.
It's going to be tougher for Carly. For one thing, with Boxer she has got a opponent who can can dip her into her personal fortune, a handicap for Campbell who through fairly well off, did not have the kind of money that Carly had. Boxer does.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 04:59 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jekyll's Guest View Post

It keeps demanding services, but when tax rises are brought up it holds it's breath till it turns blue.

They owe what now, a bajjilion-zillion dollars? When it becomes so high that M.I.T. grads don't have a name for it, is that like being in the black?
As a Native Californian..who has lived in Sacramento for the last 15 years, no less, I have to agree.
It's a nasty pattern: They elect Republicans when the Dems act like they might raise taxes, but when the spending cuts hit home, they elect Dems but still won't raise taxes.
Old 9th June 2010, 05:08 PM   #17
GreNME
Philosopher

I won't say that your assessment is wrong, but I would instead say that the Californian state government is an example of all that's wrong with allowing the general population to be able to make changes to the structure of the government and the constitution with a simple majority. Whether it's the far Right or the far Left doing the influencing, political histrionics are so commonplace and standard-practice that the state constitution changes every few years. Whether it's the adding or subtracting of services, the changing of the ways the state can gather revenue, or any number of bureaucratic loopholes that get created for one (special interest) group or another, there are any number of propositions being cooked up to alter the state government practically every year. That makes for a rather schizophrenic and inefficient way of operating a state government.

None of that is to say that other states don't have their flaws, but for California in particular it's a textbook case for precisely what's wrong with ruling by simple majority.

Old 9th June 2010, 08:55 PM   #18
ParrotPirate
Graduate Poster

I can't believe people would actually take Oily Taint seriously. That woman is bat-**** crazy,and really needs to be medicated and/or put in a padded room for a while.
Edited by Tricky:  Edited for Rule 10. Please note that in the public forums (Everything except these), profanities must be completely masked.

Last edited by Tricky; 10th June 2010 at 08:35 AM.
ParrotPirate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2010, 09:03 PM   #19
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Well, that's good for them. Nice to see that the system worked in weeding out the truly nutty candidate

Now if the GOP can only do something about Rand Paul...

Last edited by MattusMaximus; 9th June 2010 at 09:04 PM.
MattusMaximus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Arisia
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Would she be able to put state assets up for sale on eBay without voter approval? That might help.
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2010, 05:29 AM   #21
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I do need to ask something about the California election...

What the HELL made the Republicans look at Carly Fiorina and say, "yeah, this woman is someone we can get behind!" Her tenure at HP was beyond disastrous; she was incompetent, she made business moves that were at best questionable (Compaq, anyone?), the stock price tanked - and it didn't recover until they forced her to resign. She didn't exactly shine as a brilliant mind while McCain spokeswoman, either.

So really - wtf? Who looks at this woman's career and thinks she should be in political office? I'm not asking about the rank-and-filers; if there's one thing this forum has taught me, it's that either party could run a brain-damaged orangutan for office and there will be party loyalists who will be happy to defend him/her.

I'm more curious about the workings at the RNC and CA state Republican hierarchy that decided to throw their support behind her. Whitman I can see - I'm not a fan, but there's no arguing that she's a successful, intelligent woman. Her company grew leaps and bounds under her leadership. But Fiorina? The woman's only skill seems to be incompetence on a scale that approaches performance art.
Old 14th June 2010, 06:44 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because service cuts are hard and tax cuts are easy, that is so much about how the republican party has worked for the past couple of decades. Any arguments against deficits are just election dressing.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2010, 06:48 AM   #23
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

What the HELL made the Republicans look at Carly Fiorina and say, "yeah, this woman is someone we can get behind!" Her tenure at HP was beyond disastrous; she was incompetent, she made business moves that were at best questionable (Compaq, anyone?), the stock price tanked - and it didn't recover until they forced her to resign. She didn't exactly shine as a brilliant mind while McCain spokeswoman, either.
It is the idea that any business experience is better than any other kind. Chalk it up to the enshrinement of free enterprise.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2010, 04:53 PM   #24
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

So really - wtf? Who looks at this woman's career and thinks she should be in political office? I'm not asking about the rank-and-filers; if there's one thing this forum has taught me, it's that either party could run a brain-damaged orangutan for office and there will be party loyalists who will be happy to defend him/her.

I'm more curious about the workings at the RNC and CA state Republican hierarchy that decided to throw their support behind her. Whitman I can see - I'm not a fan, but there's no arguing that she's a successful, intelligent woman. Her company grew leaps and bounds under her leadership. But Fiorina? The woman's only skill seems to be incompetence on a scale that approaches performance art.

The RNC and State commitees did not exactly throw their support behind her. If anything, Tom Campbell, a long time conservative Legislator was the GOP "Establishment" candidate. But Fiorina essentially bought the nominations
by the huge amount of money (most of it from her personal fortune) she spent.
Campbell seemed to fit the kind of GOP candidate that can do well in California...a fiscal conservative but a moderate on social issues (he opposed Prop 8) but in the opinion of many in the GOP, he was too nice a guy to go after Carly.
Oh, I am sure that the Boxer Campaign is going to make Fiorina's spotty record as a CEO a major issue in the campaign.
I think a lot of GOP opinion was summed up by a guy at work who is a loyal Republican: He will vote for Carly because he can't stand Boxer, but he is not happy about the choice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics