IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2012 elections , political speculation , presidential candidates , republicans

Old 9th September 2010, 09:57 PM   #81
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Then you have the possibility of a Ross Perot canidate..a independent who will run on a "I am not either of those turkeys" platform. That could have an impact.
Maybe but who has the name, money and platform for a third party run? Bloomberg is the only one I can think of.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 11:07 PM   #82
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Maybe but who has the name, money and platform for a third party run? Bloomberg is the only one I can think of.
Bloomberg also has reasonably good sense and would worry about accidently stealing too many votes from Obama and not enough from whatever loser the GOP puts up.

Then we would all be screwed.
Old 10th September 2010, 10:14 AM   #83
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Good point, but then Ross Perot did not start his campaign until April of 1992.
And I predict if this does happen, it is going be someone who has had little political involvment, a la Perot. His main appeall is going to be "I am not one of them..a professional Politician".
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 10:17 AM   #84
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
Of course. It's a left wing media. Remember how the media said Beck
Beck is part of the media.
Old 10th September 2010, 11:35 AM   #85
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

dp.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 12:16 PM   #86
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

I have several foriegn policy and economic issues that I strongly disagree with Bloomberg about, but given the situation likely to exist in 2012 (and beyond) could easily accomodate those differences and support an Independent Bloomberg candidacy,...of course, 2000-2005 I would have said the same things about McCain,...so much would depend upon how an actual Bloomberg candidacy presented itself, not what we currently believe we know about such a candidate and his political perspectives.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 12:21 PM   #87
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Bloomberg also has reasonably good sense and would worry about accidently stealing too many votes from Obama and not enough from whatever loser the GOP puts up.

Then we would all be screwed.
If Bloomberg ran, I don't think he'd be concerned about how many votes he took away from either major party candidate. A lifelong Democrat who changed to Republican and then Independent seems to have a good perspective of the nonsense that are political parties.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 12:40 PM   #88
ksbluesfan
Graduate Poster

Has anybody suggested Phil Davison yet? He gives one heck of a great speech.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
ksbluesfan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 12:48 PM   #89
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ksbluesfan View Post

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Don't know about "great," but its definitely noteworthy.
Old 10th September 2010, 01:08 PM   #90
coalesce
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
So it beggars belief sometimes how the patent loonies, drug-addicts and hypocrites seem to be the ones that get to be in office in decision-making positions.
To me, this sounds a bit like how the Moody Blues described some of their fans.

The nice ones would try and get backstage, security would them to please leave and they would then politely go on their way.

The crazy ones plotted and schemed and wouldn't take "no" for an answer and eventually forced their way backstage. Besides, the hypocrites know how to tell you exactly what you want to hear, whether or not they believe or practice it themselves.

Michael

“Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

Last edited by coalesce; 10th September 2010 at 01:10 PM.
coalesce is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 03:23 PM   #91
SezMe
post-pre-born

Good point, but then Ross Perot did not start his campaign until April of 1992.
And I predict if this does happen, it is going be someone who has had little political involvment, a la Perot. His main appeall is going to be "I am not one of them..a professional Politician".
If Whitman wins the California governorship, she will immediately carry that ball all the way to the Rep convention...maybe even as a dark horse candidate. That's basically her current campaign in a nutshell.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 03:26 PM   #92
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Whitman wins the California governorship, she will immediately carry that ball all the way to the Rep convention...maybe even as a dark horse candidate. That's basically her current campaign in a nutshell.
To be fair, a lot of people on BOTH sides of the political spectrum use that gimmick.
IMHO Whitman is almost a lock. When the best the Dems can come up with is a retread like Jerry Brown..........
Of course California is in such a mess that I can understand why few want the job.......
Old 10th September 2010, 03:30 PM   #93
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

Originally Posted by ksbluesfan View Post

I AGREE
I was going to suggest it but I didn't catch the guy's name.

"I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet." - - johnny karate
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 04:49 PM   #94
MaGZ
Philosopher

It would not surprise me that after the Republican Tsunami in November Pat Buchanan will toy with the idea of running as a Republican in 2012. That would be an interesting contest Pat vs. Newt Gingrich, especially when they have a debate on Israel, Iran, and the Middle East.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 04:56 PM   #95
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Probably Romney. He is helped by the fact that Glen Beck is convincing the hysterical right-wing fundamentalists that Mormons are just as crazy as they are.
I suspect Romney hopes Beck will just shut-up and go away. Just more negative Mormon baggage Romney has to carry.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2010, 04:59 PM   #96
MaGZ
Philosopher

Seriously, why would Jindal be considered to be presidential material?
Old 10th September 2010, 05:04 PM   #97
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Charnel Expanse View Post
If Ron Paul mounts another campaign [which he almost certainly won't], his supporters will once again flood the internet with sound and fury and talk of a revolution, and he'll pull in his usual 2-5% of the vote.
If Obama could run for the Presidency with less that two year in the Senate, why not Rand Paul?
Old 10th September 2010, 05:06 PM   #98
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TShaitanaku View Post
Huckabee could actually be an interesting candidate depending upon who the politics forces him into bed with. Rather like McCain circa 1998 - 2004 instead of the McCain we got in 2007-2008
Huckabee will become the next Paul Harvey.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:10 PM   #99
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
You know, I forgot about Huckabee. A Romney-Huckabee ticket could give Obama a run for his money. Romney appeals to the moderates, and Huckabee appeals to the Christian wingnuts and libertarian crowd (with his endorsement of the FairTax).
Mormons and Baptists like oil and water, not going to happen.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:13 PM   #100
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
That's not what it means, though I can't account for what Cicero thinks it means, since he's rarely correct about anything.

The GOP has tended to pick people who are establishment picks or whose "time has come," kind of characters. Bush II was an establishment pick whose time hadn't come, and never would have in a sane world. But Reagan, Bush I, Dole and McCain were definite time-has-comers.

This of course has little value in prediction anyway.
This is conventional wisdom, but with the Tea Party Era anything can happen.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:20 PM   #101
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by hgc View Post
Tea-baggery will have served its purpose after this November, and will be replaced with the regular GOP party operations that it was standing in for all along. For one thing, it's starting to knock off too many standard-bearers and establishment picks (Bennett, Inglis, Scozzofava, Murkowski, Grayson, Crist, etc). They're going to put that dog back on a leash starting Nov 3. I assume that Dick Armey has wrap-up procedures well planned.
The Tea Party will not be muzzled. The group is more independent oriented than Republican. I can foresee Tea Party demonstrations outside a Republican Congress.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:30 PM   #102
MaGZ
Philosopher

I think the GOP leadership is banking on, if they win the House, a lot of the over the top rhetoric will go away since the Obama agenda has been "stopped",and most of the Tea Party can be eased into more traditional conservitive politics.
I am also curious as to how many of the new crop of GOP candidates are hard core Tea Party types, and how many just said that to win the primaries?
What is fascinating is Angle in Nevada, who was a Tea Party Icon, is now spending all of her time yelling "I am Mainstream" and who has already backed down from some of her more radical statements. I got a feeling she has already been Turned into an establishment Republican....
If they win the House? You should be saying if they win the House and the Senate? A House Republican win is a given.
Old 10th September 2010, 05:41 PM   #103
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
This is conventional wisdom, but with the Tea Party Era anything can happen.
Actually, groups like the Tea Party are a long standing tradition in this country. As just one example, think of the John Birch Society.
Old 10th September 2010, 06:53 PM   #104
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

It's very difficult to imagine anyone but Mr. Romney at this point. He will run on fiscal responsibility and his experience managing the same. His team will handle his history of flip-floppery deftly, and will advise him to deal with any question regarding his religion by intoning "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus" more than Mr. McCain last time around said, "My friends."

His running mate could be anybody, but my spider-sense suggests a not-presently-well-known name.

As for Ms. Palin, she is unelectable and is therefore unnominatable. However, she'll be relegated to a prime-time convention speech, during which she will be in attack-dog mode start to finish. I, for one, will not watch it, as I don't want to risk the very great likelihood of shooting out my TV screen, Elvis-style.
Old 11th September 2010, 06:39 AM   #105
AlBell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
It's very difficult to imagine anyone but Mr. Romney at this point. He will run on fiscal responsibility and his experience managing the same.
The unfortunate Mass.-Healthcare-For-Everyone fiscal disaster will enter the equation. I don't see Romney getting the nomination.
AlBell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2010, 04:55 PM   #106
XBoxWarrior
Banned

Come on yawl...

we all know it's gonna be my main man, Alvin Greene.

Why didn't this thread get combined with the OG 2012 thread?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=135137

Isn't that the way the mods make it work here?

or maybe the rules don't always get applied equally...

nah, that could never happen
XBoxWarrior is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2010, 06:11 PM   #107
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Haven't we been saying that about twoofers for the last six years or so?
Ya, and look at the political powerhouse that group became. Cynthia McKiney's inauguration was a blast.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2010, 10:08 PM   #108
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Beck is part of the media.
More to the point, there is barely ANY media that is not run by the Right. So whinging that it is a Left Wing Plot is just pathetic.
Old 11th September 2010, 10:52 PM   #109
pipelineaudio
Philosopher

I'd throw my hat behind Tim Zobel http://www.facebook.com/Zobel2010

See how he does in the house once he sees what the big time is like, and if he'll still want any part of politics after that

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics