IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2012 elections , political speculation , presidential candidates , republicans

Old 9th September 2010, 03:58 AM   #1
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Who will be the Republican candidate next election

Apologies if there has been other threads about this, but I haven't seen one recently.

So who will it be, Palin, Romney or someone else. From a distance, although it seems that the tide is going the Republicans way, there is no inspirational alternative candidate.

I'm happy to be shown to be wrong here.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 9th September 2010 at 03:59 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 04:29 AM   #2
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
From a distance, although it seems that the tide is going the Republicans way, there is no inspirational alternative candidate.
You could say that of any race, for any office right about now. Th GOP has safe incumbents, incumbents who have been found to be dreadful little perverts (think "Diapers" Vitter) or drunken delusional louts (like a certain orange-skinned freak from Ohio,) numerous bat-crap-crazy incumbents, and new challengers selected by a minority wing of the GOP who seem to deliberately select for batcrapcraziness in their candidates.

Romney is about the only front-runner right now who is not obviously nuts, but he is about as inspiring as a mashed potato sandwich on white Wonder Bread.
Old 9th September 2010, 05:19 AM   #3
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
At this early stage, the winds seem to be blowing from Wasilla.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 05:23 AM   #4
Zep
Banned

Why can't they find any statesmen and stateswomen? You know - people with a bit of integrity, manners and decency. It's what they are supposed to stand for, isn't it??
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 05:25 AM   #5
leftysergeant
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Why can't they find any statesmen and stateswomen?
Lack of corporate sponsors, maybe.
Old 9th September 2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
Lack of corporate sponsors, maybe.
I bow to your greater knowledge on this.

It's not for lack of statesmen and stateswomen. There is bound to be a whole slew of intelligent, educated, honourable, respectable intellectuals and diplomats from all across America, of all political persuasions. People who would be genuine assets for their country in positions of responsibility.

So it beggars belief sometimes how the patent loonies, drug-addicts and hypocrites seem to be the ones that get to be in office in decision-making positions.
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 05:41 AM   #7
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I bow to your greater knowledge on this.

It's not for lack of statesmen and stateswomen. There is bound to be a whole slew of intelligent, educated, honourable, respectable intellectuals and diplomats from all across America, of all political persuasions. People who would be genuine assets for their country in positions of responsibility.

So it beggars belief sometimes how the patent loonies, drug-addicts and hypocrites seem to be the ones that get to be in office in decision-making positions.
You shouldn't talk about Obama that way.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Zep
Banned

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You shouldn't talk about Obama that way.

Operative word was "sometimes".
Old 9th September 2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Romney if the Republicans are lucky.

Palin if they're not.

And if it's Glenn Beck, maybe we'll get lucky and it'll turn out the Mayans were right.

Last edited by Cleon; 9th September 2010 at 05:45 AM.
Cleon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 05:53 AM   #10
excaza
Illuminator

I'm inclined to say Romney, he's managed to keep his head down since the last election, which is always a good thing.

I would hope they're not stupid enough to run Palin up front. I could see another VP bid, but I think putting her up for POTUS would be campaign suicide.
Old 9th September 2010, 06:11 AM   #11
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

I assume Boehner will seek the nomination along with Romney, Gingrich and Palin. I'm guessing none of them will win the nomination. It's someone not on the radar right now. I'm sure a few governors will run as well. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana would be an interesting candidate. But being from Louisiana is like being a governor of Illinois, you know there's got to be a really bad skeleton or two in the closet.

I just wonder what effect a big win by the Repubs this November will do. Will the Tea Party influence increase? Will that drive the Repubs so far to the right in the next two years that they drive away the moderates and moderate independents? That could cause them to nominate someone like Newt and I don't think he's electable.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 06:19 AM   #12
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Palin. Thus ensuring a second Obama term if he does run for re-election. (Rumors that he might not have started recently.)
Old 9th September 2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Lurker
Illuminator

I think the GOP nomination will be one of three or four people;

Palin
Pawlenty
Romney
Jindal

I am hoping for Palin as I think she would be the easiest to run against. Pawlenty and Romney would be seen as moderate Republicans by independents and thus very electable. Jindal has a chance too but must improve on his visibility over the next two years.
Old 9th September 2010, 06:55 AM   #14
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well, it is still far too early to say, but my bet would be on a long-shot such as Jindal.

I think Palin would be a real contender, but I expect that she enjoys the volumes of fast, easy money that she is making far, far, far more than doing any real work therefore I do not expect her to not make a serious run.
Old 9th September 2010, 07:13 AM   #15
excaza
Illuminator

If Palin is part of anything remotely related to running the country, I'm going abroad for 4 years.
Old 9th September 2010, 07:19 AM   #16
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by excaza View Post
If Palin is part of anything remotely related to running the country, I'm going abroad for 4 years.
Your Challenge has been recorded. (What is your plan in the event of her reelection?)
Old 9th September 2010, 07:20 AM   #17
excaza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Your Challenge has been recorded. (What is your plan in the event of her reelection?)
FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

Last edited by excaza; 9th September 2010 at 08:22 AM.
excaza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 07:23 AM   #18
AaronMic22
Critical Thinker

I just want to take this moment to say that I can't wait to never see another Ron Paul 2012! ad.
AaronMic22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 07:28 AM   #19
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

I think it will come down between Romney and Palin. If so, Palin will win the GOP nomination because Romney clearly doesn't seem willing to cater so openly to the Tea Party crowd.

The question of Ron Paul is also an interesting one, especially with the Tea Party fervor.

Has anyone seen a prediction market anywhere on this question?
Old 9th September 2010, 07:29 AM   #20
MattusMaximus
Intellectual Gladiator

Originally Posted by excaza View Post
I'm inclined to say Romney, he's managed to keep his head down since the last election, which is always a good thing.

I would hope they're not stupid enough to run Palin up front. I could see another VP bid, but I think putting her up for POTUS would be campaign suicide.
I agree that this is a distinct possibility.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:19 AM   #21
GreyArea
Graduate Poster

Another poster started a thread about this in 2009. It's still creeping along, and his list is updated every month or so. Look there for other names to consider.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...=135137&page=5
GreyArea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 08:30 AM   #22
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Probably Romney. He is helped by the fact that Glen Beck is convincing the hysterical right-wing fundamentalists that Mormons are just as crazy as they are.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 08:40 AM   #23
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Whomever it is, I hope they get elected. I can't wait to point out the flaws, and the lies, and hypocrisy of the republican president, and watch the conservatives on the board fanatically defend him/her.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 09:01 AM   #24
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Bobby Jindal of Louisiana would be an interesting candidate.
A run by Jindal will make the actor who plays Kenneth the Page on 30 Rock an instant star. SNL will be return to glory. I finally have a reason to support a GOP candidate again!
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 09:02 AM   #25
Lurker
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Whomever it is, I hope they get elected. I can't wait to point out the flaws, and the lies, and hypocrisy of the republican president, and watch the conservatives on the board fanatically defend him/her.
Wait, they will say that all their criticisms of Obama (my favorite was the terrible Dijon Mustard crisis) were warranted. Every...single...one.
Old 9th September 2010, 09:03 AM   #26
Aoidoi
Illuminator

Why on earth would Palin run? She's making obscene amounts of money for giving the same speech over and over and has expressed basically no interest in actually governing anything. At best the presidency would mean 4 years off of the lucrative speaking circuit for her, at worst it could derail her gravy train.

Glenn Beck, for all his bombast, doesn't appear interested in actually running for office. And why would he? He's the most successful and visible member of his profession (which I'll politely define as "pundit"), with a national platform to spout whatever he wants and basically no requirements to actually deliver on anything. Why ruin a good thing?

I assume Romney will run yet again, and if nobody interesting runs he'll have a shot. His only downside on a national stage is being Mormon, and his only upside is good hair.

Jindal was sort of being set up as a Republican Obama, but the only speeches I've seen from him were brutally bad. No idea if he's spent the off season training, but I haven't been impressed so far. He'll have a tough time as a "ethnic" Republican in the primaries in any case, doubt he could pull it off in a tea party climate but he might surprise me.

Pawlenty is apparently in the running and seems to be a more or less prototypical Republican. He's towed (toed? toad?) the party line for the most part and I don't know of any scandals that'd bother the Republican base. So his main problem just seems to be a lack of immediate name recognition in a field that is dominated by celebrities.

There'll be some throwbacks in the running like Newt Gingrich early on, if he can capitalize on... nostalgia?... he could make a showing of it. He's been out of actual politics long enough for his past sins to have been mostly forgotten, and can pull out the "back to the good old days" card. I suspect he (or someone like him) will make a good early showing then fade.

... and now I'll get to look back in a couple years and laugh at how completely wrong I was in this post.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by abandoning it at home. —Edward R. Murrow
Aoidoi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 09:05 AM   #27
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Wait, they will say that all their criticisms of Obama (my favorite was the terrible Dijon Mustard crisis) were warranted. Every...single...one.
Of course. And their candidate walks on water, is awesome, and the country is finally going where it should be! (cue heavenly music)

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 09:10 AM   #28
Lurker
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
Jindal was sort of being set up as a Republican Obama, but the only speeches I've seen from him were brutally bad. No idea if he's spent the off season training, but I haven't been impressed so far. He'll have a tough time as a "ethnic" Republican in the primaries in any case, doubt he could pull it off in a tea party climate but he might surprise me.
If this happens I would love to see how Republicans who called BO Barack HUSSEIN Obama would react to Dems using Jindal's real name, Piyush Amrit Jindal. My bet is they would call foul (rightfully but hypocritically so).
Old 9th September 2010, 10:41 AM   #29
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

It all depends on whether TP fervor will have subsided by 2012. If it has, Romney has a clear path to the nomination. If not... god only knows.
Aside from Palin, nobody among the GOP's heavy hitters is doctrinaire conservative enough to appeal to TP fundies. And Palin is thoroughly unelectable.

"I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet." - - johnny karate

Last edited by The Charnel Expanse; 9th September 2010 at 10:43 AM.
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 10:46 AM   #30
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

Originally Posted by MattusMaximus View Post
The question of Ron Paul is also an interesting one, especially with the Tea Party fervor.
If Ron Paul mounts another campaign [which he almost certainly won't], his supporters will once again flood the internet with sound and fury and talk of a revolution, and he'll pull in his usual 2-5% of the vote.

"I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet." - - johnny karate

Last edited by The Charnel Expanse; 9th September 2010 at 10:47 AM.
The Charnel Expanse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 10:46 AM   #31
hgc
Penultimate Amazing

Apologies if there has been other threads about this, but I haven't seen one recently.

There's always this thread, which is sort of a running account of speculation and progress toward the conclusion of the question at hand. But, you can never have too many threads on this salient topic.
hgc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 10:50 AM   #32
Cicero
Banned

Romney is the choice because the GOP usually nominates the person who is next in line. S.P. is not even a candidate.
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 10:51 AM   #33
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Romney is the choice because the GOP usually nominates the person who is next in line.
Technically that would be Huckabee in this case.

Old 9th September 2010, 10:58 AM   #34
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Who will be the Republican candidate next election
The one who ends up making Obama look like the only viable alternative,...again!
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 11:00 AM   #35
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Why can't they find any statesmen and stateswomen? You know - people with a bit of integrity, manners and decency. It's what they are supposed to stand for, isn't it??
They have to represent the current republican party.
Trakar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 11:07 AM   #36
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aoidoi View Post
Jindal was sort of being set up as a Republican Obama
Personally, I was hoping for a Democratic Obama instead of the one we got.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:12 AM   #37
Trakar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Charnel Expanse View Post
Technically that would be Huckabee in this case.
Huckabee could actually be an interesting candidate depending upon who the politics forces him into bed with. Rather like McCain circa 1998 - 2004 instead of the McCain we got in 2007-2008
Old 9th September 2010, 11:26 AM   #38
GreyArea
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Charnel Expanse View Post
It all depends on whether TP fervor will have subsided by 2012.
Will we know that by this November? Would they still be active if the Republicans take one or both houses of Congress? Or, on the other hand, would a continued Democratic majority tweak the Teabaggers even more?
GreyArea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 11:28 AM   #39
Cicero
Banned

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
If this happens I would love to see how Republicans who called BO Barack HUSSEIN Obama would react to Dems using Jindal's real name, Piyush Amrit Jindal. My bet is they would call foul (rightfully but hypocritically so).
Not to mention his supporters who felll in love with POTUS Obama's middle name.

Obama Supporters Take His Name as Their Own

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/us...29hussein.html

CHRIS MATTHEWS: "Do you have a sense, though, well certainly I have it, that just by his name, Barack, ah, Barack Hussein Obama, by his background, having grown up in Indonesia which is a largely Muslim country, that he would have a feel perhaps other presidential candidates don't have of how to connect with that part of the world, the billion people, that we seem to have such a problem connecting with and avoiding war with."

http://radioequalizer.blogspot.com/2...-matthews.html
Cicero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2010, 11:31 AM   #40
The Charnel Expanse
Muse

Done in response to right wing race-baiting.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics